Posted to rec.audio.opinion
visitor2

Default Need help with speakers for a HT-only system

Hi, I'm helping my brother to build a home-theater for his small
living-room (aproximately 6x4 meters).
He already has two pieces of equipment:
- Yamaha Rx-v457 receiver (6.1 , 85 Watts RMS/ channel)
- Velodyne DTS-12 subwoofer (12-inch)
His goal is to achieve the best possible result for watching movies,
since he never listens to music.
So I understand he could get by with small speakers that don't produce
much bass and rely on the sub for the low frequency movie sounds.
This is South America, so options are very few in this case, and the
only speakers that I have found which seems to deserve attention around
here a

- Paradigm Mini-Monitors
- Paradigm Focus
- PSB Alpha B
- PSB Alpha Intro LR
- Energy C-200
- Energy C-100
- Paradigm Titans
- Paradigm Atoms v.4
- Infinity Primus 160
- Infinity Primus 150
- Infinity C25 center speaker
- JBL Nothridge N24
- JBL N-Center
- Lando LC 60 (used)
- KEF Q15 (used, perfect condition)

Does anyone here is familiar with any of these speakers to share an
opinion as to how they would compare in matching the Yamaha and the
Velodyne for HT-only ?
For example, the Alpha B, the Focus and the Paradigm Mini-Monitor pairs
are more than 60% more expensive than the Atom pair. Would there be a
true benefit to justify spending that much more over the Atoms which
seems like a reasonable choice ?
Similarly, Infinity models are cheaper than the Atoms, so how much
worse would they be that would be truly perceived in a HT-only
environment ?

In case any of you has a very strong reason to suggest a different
speaker that would make a much better match with the Velodyne and the
Yamaha, please do, and please state your reasons, I'd be interested
then in trying to import it by special order.

I also have questions about the center speaker:
-In case I choose the Atoms, is the Paradigm CC170 center a good match
? what difference would it make getting the cc70?
- If I pick the Alpha B, would any of the above listed center speakers
be a good match ?
- What would happen if I use 3 identical speakers in the front instead
of a center + 2 fronts ?
- Finally, do I need the 6th channel available in the receiver ? What
would be the best use for it ?

Many thanks for reading this.

Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM
rec.audio.car FAQ (Part 1/5) Ian D. Bjorhovde Car Audio 0 August 9th 05 07:30 AM
A Few Thoughts on Bose [email protected] Audio Opinions 1 February 27th 05 02:59 AM