Posted to uk.rec.audio,alt.music.mp3,rec.audio.tech,alt.music.mp3.hardware

Default External USB2.0 Drive Mp3 connected to a HiFi?

HI,

I have a USB 2.0 external drive (2.5") having 80 GIG of Mp3. The
problem is that I still need to use my computer to listen the music. I
would like to be able to plug the USB drive directly on a HIFI, without
using the computer.

I will have to buy anyway a new HIFI, a new LCD TV 26", a new CD
player, etc. I am ready to buy some new piece of equipment.

So If I can plug the external drive directly on a new kind of HIFI, or
can I buy a kind of USB2.0 HUB linked to a HIFI ?

Thanks.

Etienne.
Paris

Posted to uk.rec.audio,alt.music.mp3,rec.audio.tech,alt.music.mp3.hardware
Gert Wiersema

So If I can plug the external drive directly on a new kind of HIFI, or
can I buy a kind of USB2.0 HUB linked to a HIFI ?

http://www.hermstedt.com/english/hif...hifidelio.html

Nice.

Gert

Posted to uk.rec.audio,alt.music.mp3,rec.audio.tech,alt.music.mp3.hardware
TT

wrote in message
oups.com...
HI,

I have a USB 2.0 external drive (2.5") having 80 GIG of

Mp3. The
problem is that I still need to use my computer to listen

the music. I
would like to be able to plug the USB drive directly on a

HIFI, without
using the computer.

I will have to buy anyway a new HIFI, a new LCD TV 26", a

new CD
player, etc. I am ready to buy some new piece of

equipment.

So If I can plug the external drive directly on a new kind

of HIFI, or
can I buy a kind of USB2.0 HUB linked to a HIFI ?

Thanks.

Etienne.
Paris

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summar...itle=Azur+640H
You said you wanted a new CD player well then this will fit
the bill as well. You can store all you uncompressed music
on this and then up/download to and from your USB drive in
any format you wish. Plus you can also network it with your
existing home network. This is the near perfect solution of
integrating your hi-fi with your computer system.

I have now used one for about 3 months now and am still very
impressed with it. There are some small glitches with it
but nothing the next firmware upgrade wont fix (hopefully).

BTW one last thing it has some excellent DACs in it and it
is worth every cent just as a CD player.

Regards TT

Posted to uk.rec.audio,alt.music.mp3,rec.audio.tech,alt.music.mp3.hardware
Adrian C

wrote:
HI,

I have a USB 2.0 external drive (2.5") having 80 GIG of Mp3. The
problem is that I still need to use my computer to listen the music. I
would like to be able to plug the USB drive directly on a HIFI, without
using the computer.

I will have to buy anyway a new HIFI, a new LCD TV 26", a new CD
player, etc. I am ready to buy some new piece of equipment.

D-Link DSM-120 will attach to a USB drive, and easily to your HiFi.
http://reviews.cnet.com/D_Link_DSM_120/4505-6470_7-31561630-2.html?tag=nav

Or, you can connect your HDD drive to a NAS adaptor such as a Linksys
NLSU, and then attach any network media player to it. There are a few
of these out there. (Freecom, Philips, Creative, Roku etc...)

Or, If you are buying a TV, you may be in the market for a PVR (personal
video recorder). Some of these have USB interfaces for external drives
and memory sticks, indeed some of these ARE computers (but not as big
and hopefully quieter) - and run operating systems such as Windows Media
Center Edition, which can access all sorts of digital media including MP3.

Or, you can buy a DTT (digital TV) receiver made by Netgem (french!)
which has a USB port. It is admittedly USB 1.1 but should not be an
problem playing back MP3s. It's called the 'iplayer+' over here, I think
in france, it's called the Netbox.
http://www.netgem.com

All of these sources (and also others in this thread) will connect to
your HiFi, but ultimately the choice is made depending on how 'HiFi' are
your expectations - and what you want to spend.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.rec.audio,alt.music.mp3,rec.audio.tech,alt.music.mp3.hardware
Rob

Owain wrote:
Owain wrote:
John Lewis (Edinburgh) had a radio or CD/radio on display which had a
USB socket on the front for MP3 devices "suitable for pen devices
only" (which I think means No Ipods). I think it was made by Teac and
was about £150?

Think I've found it - Teac SLD 900

http://www.johnlewis.com/Audio+and+T...0/Product.aspx

Owain

Strikes me that's the way to go - how about a DVDP with a USB port?
Portable storage is relatively inexpensive.

As mentioned up a bit, I bought one of these:

http://shop.cd-writer.com/acatalog/A...YER_3_650.html

.... but don't pay anything like that (100UKP), and it has a tiny fan
that makes a racket. This might be a better option:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...roductID=12621

Rob
Posted to uk.rec.audio,alt.music.mp3,rec.audio.tech,alt.music.mp3.hardware
Etienne

Thanks a lot all,

I will check for the Advance Media Player 101, seems ok, for cheap. I
like that.

Etienne

Posted to uk.rec.audio,alt.music.mp3,rec.audio.tech,alt.music.mp3.hardware
Scott J

TT,

The Azur 640H Music Server looks interesting, but I have a few
questions/comments:
1. The Cambridge Audio site mentions "the Azur 640H music server
instantly retrieves artist, album and track information using an
advanced web-based look-up system". How accurate and reliable is this
look-up system? In ripping a large CD collection to my computer, I've
found that song info from both Gracenote CDDB and freedb can be
incorrect, incomplete, or totally missing.
2. Does the Azur 640H offer customizable folder and file naming of the
ripped tracks?
3. What kinds of lossless compressed formats can be used when ripping
or for playback (i.e. AAC lossless, WMA lossless, FLAC, etc.)
4. Is it possible to copy ripped tracks from the Azur's internal HD to
a networked PC?

Thanks,
Scott

Posted to uk.rec.audio,alt.music.mp3,rec.audio.tech,alt.music.mp3.hardware
TT

"Scott J" wrote in message
oups.com...
TT,

The Azur 640H Music Server looks interesting, but I have a

few
questions/comments:
1. The Cambridge Audio site mentions "the Azur 640H music

server
instantly retrieves artist, album and track information

using an
advanced web-based look-up system". How accurate and

reliable is this
look-up system? In ripping a large CD collection to my

computer, I've
found that song info from both Gracenote CDDB and freedb

can be
incorrect, incomplete, or totally missing.

To date it has ripped to HD 240 CDs. I had a Problem with
1. The only problem I have is with genres. I disagree with
some and there are toooo many so I try and keep it more
simple.

2. Does the Azur 640H offer customizable folder and file

naming of the
ripped tracks?

They are placed on the HD exactly like your CD collection -
Alphabetically by Artist/Title/Track, also can search by
Genre. It is very simple to use with a monitor of some
description. I use a small 5" LCD screen next to my
listening chair which was already there for DVD-A navigation
purposes. BTW I also use a wireless key board for this
thing so it is very easy to change any title information you
chose. e.g It will name artist as "Elton John" where as
I want them stored "John, Elton". So question is, "Is it
Pink Floyd or Floyd, Pink" ? ;-) Also you can end up with
"The Who", "The Corrs" all under "T" so I use "Who, The" and
"Corrs, The"

3. What kinds of lossless compressed formats can be used

when ripping
or for playback (i.e. AAC lossless, WMA lossless, FLAC,

etc.)

Not Sure if it does FLAC.

4. Is it possible to copy ripped tracks from the Azur's

internal HD to
a networked PC?

Most definitely YES. What I have been doing is recording
LPs to HD, drag them across the network to my computer, edit
them in Cool edit Pro (track titles added, fade in/out,
remove any large artefacts) cut to CD and then either store
or put back on the 640H's HD. Also if you want to make
compilation albums you pull the tracks over the network and
burn on your PC. Believe me it is quicker that way ;-)

Also it can play from *ANY* networked HD *OR* any other
networked computer can play the files on its HD. What I
like about this is that I can download a MP3 album that I
think I may like and play it (in high fidelity) on my main
system and see if I like it before committing to buying the
album.

Thanks,
Scott

Some more points. It will also copy *any* copyrighted CD
and of course it is also a burner ;-)

I hope some of this helps.

Cheers TT

Posted to uk.rec.audio,alt.music.mp3,rec.audio.tech,alt.music.mp3.hardware
Scott J

TT,

Thanks a lot for the detailed info.
So what format do you use when ripping CDs with the Azur?
Would you say it is more convenient to rip a large collection of CDs
with the Azur or with a PC?

Thanks,
Scott

Posted to uk.rec.audio,alt.music.mp3,rec.audio.tech,alt.music.mp3.hardware
TT

"Scott J" wrote in message
oups.com...
: TT,
:
: Thanks a lot for the detailed info.
: So what format do you use when ripping CDs with the Azur?

PCM 16/44.1 I want audiophile quality not an MP3 player
;-) BUT it will store CDs as PCM and then afterwards will
do background compression when it is in standby mode to save
time. Nifty little idea I thought ;-)

: Would you say it is more convenient to rip a large
collection of CDs
: with the Azur or with a PC?

With the Azur as it finds *all* the info off the net (well
99.8% of the time). BTW It will also play Net Radio as well
;-)
:
: Thanks,
: Scott
:

Before you rush out and buy one demo it first and then I
will tell you some of the bad points that I don't like about
it :-(

Cheers TT