xy

Default norah jones mic?

any idea on what mic she used on her latest recorings?

it sounds smooth, maybe a ribbon? the only two ribbons i've ever used
are an old bing crosby style rca, which had a ton of bass boost and a
rolled off high end. and a royer, which is more of a guitar cabinet
type of thing.

so i don't know what she used. but it doesn't sound like a condenser.
JWelsh3374

I hear it was an M-49 Neumann.

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com
JWelsh3374

It sold for $7500 today at the sorcerer sound auction. Well
above the $4000 asking price.

For Sale: 2 Neumann M-49's.

And they're only.....$9K for the pair!!!!

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com
JWelsh3374

Another piano, an 1895 model,
didn't get any interest. I suppose, that the folks who bought these items
purchased them for the ability to say "Norah slept here" to potential clients,
perhaps more than for their intrensic value.

That's exactly how I listen to her record... as I am going to sleep.

I like her voice...and she is very beautiful...but that record bores me to
death.

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com

John LeBlanc

"JWelsh3374" wrote in message

That's exactly how I listen to her record... as I am going to sleep.

I like her voice...and she is very beautiful...but that record bores me to
death.

I'm with you on the first two, but I love the record.

Have you listened to The Peter Malick Group's "New York City" EP CD? She sings
on that CD. "Heart of Mine" is a killer.

John

LeBaron & Alrich

Rob Adelman wrote:

JWelsh3374 wrote:

I like her voice...and she is very beautiful...but that record bores me to
death.

I've only heard the one song, but if it is any indication of the rest of
the record, I couldn't agree more. BORING

7 million in sales and rolling, Rob; not everybody is enamored with
Frampton, etc. Her take of "Cold, Cold Heart" is wonderful, IMO, and I
wonder if the real problem is that stuff that sounds remotely natural is
a problem for the processed rock appreciators. In sufficient posing
quotient.

--
ha
Roger W. Norman

Good, somebody with my own assessment. Remember, you heard it from me
first. In fact, I mentioned that I gave the CD to my son and I don't miss
it a bit. I have tons of real jazz I've recorded over the years, and if I
play it all back to back, I have days and weeks of 8 hour sessions I can
listen to VERY qualified jazz players. No offense to David, who'd recorded
her as a young thang in school, but good voice or not, it's got the
excitement of a dead patch of grass growing.

Having said that, I think she's got great potential. But I'm not sure just
how far someone of such a tender young age will grow when they have
accolades and awards heaped upon them from an industry that obviously thinks
she's something new and refreshing. New, yes, and refreshing like a cannon
ball in the pool where one gets inadvertantly splashed. Get's you wet, but
****es you off at the same time. I'd rather the industry try to grow talent
rather than press it like a rose in a massive book of records, never to see
any future growth. But we'll see. Perhaps she, as opposed to almost
everyone that's come before, can rise above the hype and grow to a truly
devastating talent.

But then again, what the hell do I know? I liked the Dean Hayek Elvis
thang.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"JWelsh3374" wrote in message
Another piano, an 1895 model,
didn't get any interest. I suppose, that the folks who bought these items
purchased them for the ability to say "Norah slept here" to potential

clients,
perhaps more than for their intrensic value.

That's exactly how I listen to her record... as I am going to sleep.

I like her voice...and she is very beautiful...but that record bores me to
death.

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com

Rob Adelman

LeBaron & Alrich wrote:

7 million in sales and rolling, Rob; not everybody is enamored with
Frampton, etc. Her take of "Cold, Cold Heart" is wonderful, IMO, and I
wonder if the real problem is that stuff that sounds remotely natural is
a problem for the processed rock appreciators. In sufficient posing
quotient.

Wonder if the Grammy has anything to do with that?

I listen to all kinds of music and I don't bore all that easily. I don't
have any problem with natural sounding music, I have heard much that I
like. But the song in question I found boring the first time I heard it.
Hearing it on the radio about 100 times hasn't changed that. Of course
it HAS sold a few albums.

Rob Adelman

Roger W. Norman wrote:

But then again, what the hell do I know? I liked the Dean Hayek Elvis
thang.

Much more interesting than 'Come Away With Me'

Roger W. Norman

Hank wrote:

Her take of "Cold, Cold Heart" is wonderful, IMO, and I
wonder if the real problem is that stuff that sounds remotely natural is
a problem for the processed rock appreciators. In sufficient posing
quotient.

My answer would be no, I've got way too much music in my background of every
type to be so mislead. I believe I'd mentioned that I'd listened to her CD
quite a number of times and I still couldn't identify a single song if my
life depended on it. Then again, I do only have two brain cells left.
Certainly rock isn't my only listening, just as jazz isn't today. I grew up
with country players of excellent talent at my house on Saturday nights for
years, and rock was my mainstay as a young guitar slinger and piano player
(include a few years of jazz and rock sax playing back then). From Fats
Domino to Jerry Lee to Everly Brothers, to Brenda Lee to Jimmy Dean to Roy
Clark, I've seen them all sit in a living room and play real music with no
concern that there wasn't a public waiting. Bil VornDick (too much to list)
and Harry Dailey's (Jimmy Buffett) The Mockers to Steve Crosen's The Cavemen
(Steve is currently back on the road with Billy Joe Royal), Ronnie Dove, who
lived 8 miles away, to Catfish Hodge, whom Cleve Whiele (another classmate)
is currently touring with.

I know what you're trying to say Hank, or at least I suppose so, but I also
know you know the value of real music played by real musicians just for the
love of playing. I'm NOT saying that Ms. Jones doesn't love what she does.
I'm saying that perhaps the level of her accomplishments in her very young
life are an indication of the starvation in music that indicates just why
the majors are having problems selling recordings. I'd probably love her
music if she were just sitting here in the studio playing for the love of
the music, and I can't say she didn't do so in the studio she did the
recordings. I do know that it took a change of producers and an effort on
the major's part to make her the phenom she has become. I just hope it
doesn't wreck her apparently honest love of music.

It's funny, as far as I've viewed it, but life seems to make all of us a
little more capable of expressing things that are no longer news to the rest
of us. Like taxing tobacco out of existence. Once you've become used to
the idea of the taxes, one wonders how, when everyone stops smoking, the
taxes are going to be continued to be raised. Can only young people have
pertinent things to say about the human condition? Certainly what speaks to
one person's heart doesn't necessarily speak to another's, regardless of the
sales.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
Purchase your copy of the Fifth of RAP CD set at www.recaudiopro.net.
See how far $20 really goes.

R Krizman

New, yes, and refreshing like a cannon
ball in the pool where one gets inadvertantly splashed. Get's you wet, but
****es you off at the same time. I'd rather the industry try to grow talent
rather than press it like a rose in a massive book of records, never to see
any future growth. But we'll see. Perhaps she, as opposed to almost
everyone that's come before, can rise above the hype and grow to a truly
devastating talent.

In this case her talent and accomplishments preceeded the hype. I loved that
album from the first moment I heard "Lone Star", long before commercial radio
found it, long before it was an endcap, long before the Grammies. The record
took on a life of its own with very little promotion, released on a jazz label.
Probably a success/hype ratio unheard of in modern times.

Roger, instead of taking such a cynical view and trying to make some objective
thing about your quirky taste, why don't you and Adelman just admit you don't
like it or don't get it, or whatever, and leave it at that. Why does this
stick in your craw so much? I mean, somebody just wanted to know what mic she
used.

And to respond to that, having seen her live, I'd have to say that it's pretty
much in her voice, not in the mic.

Now, about that new Hilary Duff album . . .

-R

Jim Gilliland

John LeBlanc wrote:
"JWelsh3374" wrote in message

That's exactly how I listen to her record... as I am going to sleep.

I like her voice...and she is very beautiful...but that record bores me to
death.

I'm with you on the first two, but I love the record.

Have you listened to The Peter Malick Group's "New York City" EP CD? She sings
on that CD. "Heart of Mine" is a killer.

One of my favorite recordings of hers is her version of "I Don't Want To
Get Over You (Wurlitzer Prize)" on the Waylon Jennings tribute album
"Lonesome, On'ry And Mean". It's just gorgeous.

Amazon has a 30 second sample:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...qid=1063821596

She's going to have a cut on the Dolly Parton tribute album that's
coming out later this year - I'm looking forward to that one.

I'm hoping that she eventually does a true country album - she really
has a way with that kind of material.

Roger W. Norman

Cynical? Quirky tastes? Geez, and here I thought I had enough experience
under my belt to have an opinion. Apparently not. I not only admitted that
I didn't find it the "wherewithal" album that the hype suggested, but that I
thought she should have some development time, and I did this maybe 6+
months ago. Someone suggested the album as a good listen, I purchased it,
and I formed an opinion based on those listenings. Now I simply am being
cynical and have quirky tastes? I was apparently under the
misinterpretation that my thoughts had some minimal weight here, and that,
AT THE LEAST, I could have my own thoughts.

I suggest that a lot of others here may not have gone to the level of
purchasing the album and giving it a good listen before their opinions were
made known. I have answered honestly. I think she has a lot to offer and
personally I'd love to be around 5 or 10 or 20 years if she continues to
write her own music. Otherwise, well, then I guess I'm stuck with my
cynical views based on my quirky tastes.

--

"R Krizman" wrote in message
[...]

John LeBlanc

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message
Cynical? Quirky tastes? Geez, and here I thought I had enough experience
under my belt to have an opinion. Apparently not. I not only admitted that
I didn't find it the "wherewithal" album that the hype suggested, but that I
thought she should have some development time, and I did this maybe 6+
months ago. Someone suggested the album as a good listen, I purchased it,
and I formed an opinion based on those listenings. Now I simply am being
cynical and have quirky tastes? I was apparently under the
misinterpretation that my thoughts had some minimal weight here, and that,
AT THE LEAST, I could have my own thoughts.

Roger, you know I like you. So, it's as a friend that I do this, especially in
light of the fact that some people around here believe all your experience is
insufficient to allow you to make a valid judgement on music you listen to with
your own ears.

1. http://tinyurl.com/npzn

2. http://tinyurl.com/nq0v

HTH. g

John

Rob Adelman

R Krizman wrote:

Roger, instead of taking such a cynical view and trying to make some objective
thing about your quirky taste, why don't you and Adelman just admit you don't
like it or don't get it, or whatever, and leave it at that. Why does this
stick in your craw so much?

I wasn't making a big deal out of it. Guido said it was boring and I
very much agreed. Then of course my musical taste is slamed. (seems
there are a few people here that attack my taste in music every time I
say something they don't agree with).

For what it's worth, I don't think the Nora Jones tune is bad. And I
think the production is far above most new music I am hearing. It just
is not interesting.

I was just in the car and heard Neil Young's 'Old Man'. Very simple,
very sparse, no big production tricks, etc. Yet after 30 years or
whatever it is, I still find the song interesting and it keeps my
attention when I hear it.

Roger W. Norman

Yeah, well what do you know? g I know the difference between **** and
shinola because I have work shoes with **** attached and nary a bit of
shinola.

Very cute, John. Very cute.

So you would belittle me and suggest that very few here consider me a peer.
Harsh words, my friend. If this is what you do to people you like, then
perhaps it's better that you don't let people know you like them.

But I will continue to try to better myself, based on your worldly advice
that not only do I not know **** from shinola, but that I have no experience
in which to make valid judgements on music I listen to with my own ears.

You aren't telling me squat. I've already admitted that I don't have the
ears, that my two remaining brain cells don't always communicate, and that
my experience doesn't match a lot of the people here. So why would I
suggest that any here are my peers? Because I know when I do a job, my
clients are not only satisfied with my work but that the peers I've worked
with consider me someone that they'd work with again.

Are we going to get into a ****ing match now? Or perhaps compare the
measurements of our dicks? Fine. You win. I have nothing to offer, no
thoughts worth mentioning, nothing to say that has a bearing on the elite
here, and by far, am the dumbest of the dumbest because here I've been, for
8 years, thinking that I had a little friend somewhere that thought I was
OK. Oh, boo hoo hoo.

And on my next session I'll be thinking of what you said and wondering,
moment after moment, if I've chosen the right mic, put it in the right
place, or whether I can trust my ears to hear it, and then, God grant me the
strength, I'll just throw up my hands and as "Where's John LeBlanc when you
****ing need him?"

Pray for me, John. Both pictures you listed looked exactly the same to me.

--

"John LeBlanc" wrote in message

[...]

Roger W. Norman

OK, so I really don't know **** from shinola. John just called me to
explain that it was a joke, and I simply took it the wrong way. I'll
publically apologize, John, and I have nothing to say except that I simply
have been worried about securing my home for the upcoming hurricane, which
may or may not have some serious side effects on my property. Certainly
there will be 5 or 6 inches of rain, at the least, as has been predicted the
NOAA. But that's no reason not to read John's statement in a little better
light than I did.

I really appreciate Mr. LeBlanc giving me a call and straightening my stupid
ass out. Some days you GET the worm, some days you ARE the worm.

[...]

R Krizman

I've already admitted that I don't have the
ears, that my two remaining brain cells don't always communicate, and that
my experience doesn't match a lot of the people here.

So "quirky taste" isn't too far off base, perhaps, and why not consider it a
badge of honor rather than a put- down. And yes, you formed your opinion
honestly 6 months ago, and at that time your opinion received a lot of airplay.
But after awhile, when opinions are stated again and again, they become
arguments and fact-wannabees. It's one thing to be bored by the CD, it's
another to make objective pronouncements about her development as an artist. I
think you need more than a personal opinion to back that up, especially while
admitting that your two remaining brain cells don't always communicate.

In any case, good luck with the storm. Are you in Virginia? I heard on the
radio they dismissed all the students from my alma mater (W & M). And tell
Scott Dorsey to take cover too.

Regards,
Rick
R Krizman

I was just in the car and heard Neil Young's 'Old Man'. Very simple,
very sparse, no big production tricks, etc. Yet after 30 years or
whatever it is, I still find the song interesting and it keeps my
attention when I hear it.

I hear ya', and really meant no insult about the Nora thing. I mean, I'm the
first to cop to having quirky tastes in music (and pretty much everything
else).

It's funny, I just got back from a week in China and took some CD's with me,
including Norah Jones. Nobody had heard of her at all, so that's the one CD I
left with my Chinese business associate. It'll be interesting to see if it
resonates with anyone.

And speaking of quirky taste, have you ever eaten duck heart? Man, I gotta
have some right now!

-R

xy

thanks,
condenser after all!

i've used 47's, 84's, 87's, 89's, 103's, 184's.

never used the "classical music decca tree" neumann stuff yet!

someday...
Hal Laurent

Default Hurricane (was norah jones mic?)

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message

However, thanks for the good wishes on the storm. The Federal Government

is
now closed tomorrow and Metro is giving up at 11 AM, which means that

either
something big is going to happen, or it won't (surprise! g). We've had
this with Nor'Easters and 3 or more feet of snow in a short period of

time,
but that doesn't normally have the ability to kill people. Maybe 6" of
rain, some 40 to 60 mph winds. Ahhh, a drop in the bucket of problems.
From my count, there's Mothra666, Analgeezer, Scott Dorsey, Mike Rivers

and
JnyVee at the least that live in the area, but I know there are more that
I'm forgetting.

There's at least Ty Ford, Eric Agner, and myself just north of there in
Baltimore.
Like D.C., we're pretty much expecting a lot of rain and wind. At times
like this
I'm glad I live at the top of a hill (no flooding likely here). D-cell
batteries have been
unavailable in these parts since noon or so yesterday.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

LeBaron & Alrich

Glenn Dowdy wrote:

"LeBaron & Alrich" wrote:

Rob Adelman wrote:

7 million in sales and rolling, Rob; not everybody is enamored with
Frampton, etc. Her take of "Cold, Cold Heart" is wonderful, IMO,

I've listened to that cut about 10x the rest of the CD. The URB tone is
astounding.

That was the first cut I heard, at a friend's house in Santa Barbara
before the album became a hit. I've only heard about half the CD, but
yeah, that cut is terrific in my own mind. I dig it when someone takes a
song from somewhere else and makes it grand in a whole new place. And I
like the straightforward simplicity of the arrangement, which allows the
tone of the instruments to come through clearly, leaving some space for
the sound to bloom. Very inviting.

--
hank alrich * secret mountain
audio recording * music production * sound reinforcement
LeBaron & Alrich

R Krizman wrote:

snipitty doo dah

In this case her talent and accomplishments preceeded the hype.

You think they play some music now and then at North Teas State? g

snipitty yay

--
ha

LeBaron & Alrich

Roger W. Norman wrote:

I have nothing to say except that I simply
have been worried about securing my home for the upcoming hurricane,

Oh, so now you're gonna try and blame it all on a woman?

/j

--
ha
LeBaron & Alrich

Roger W. Norman wrote:

Duck heart?

Where's EggHd? We got another band name...

I assume that you do something to break down the toughness?

First, pluck the feathers.

--
ha
Geoff Wood

"Rob Adelman" wrote in message

I've only heard the one song, but if it is any indication of the rest of
the record, I couldn't agree more. BORING

But then some people are easily bored....

geoff

Mike Rivers

Default Hurricane (and flashlights) (was norah jones mic?)

"Hal Laurent" wrote in message ...

I'm glad I live at the top of a hill (no flooding likely here). D-cell
batteries have been
unavailable in these parts since noon or so yesterday.

I live at the bottom of a hill, and the water flow has gotten worse
with each new construction project at the top of the hill. They just
built six new houses up there in the past twenty minutes or so, so I'm
expecting to be doing a lot of bailing. Of course I didn't think about
sand bags until it was too late to buy any.

I was in the Home Depot yesterday to get some hardware and they were
sold out of flashlights of any kind. The panic is on!

Speaking of flashlights, anyone (besides Dan Kennedy, at whose whom I
saw one) seen the Nightstar flashlight? It's one of the coolest
inventions I've seen in a long time. When you shake it, a permanent
magnet gets thrown back and forth through a coil of wire, which
generates a current, which charges a Permacap, which powers the LED
lamp. http://www.nightstar1.com
R Krizman

Duck heart? I assume that you do something to break down the toughness?

I assume they were steamed. They were just slightly chewier than chicken
liver. And about the same size, to my surprise. (chicken hearts are tiny--but
also a delicacy in my upbringing).

-R

R Krizman

I assume that you do something to break down the toughness?

First, pluck the feathers.

--
ha

Yeah, it's about the only part of the duck they don't eat. (I think)

-R

Luke Kaven

(Mike Caffrey) wrote:
Oh yeah. If you think I'm full of **** about Norah being nothing special
and why don't I do and album like that the answer is I don't want to. but
if anyone does, I'll put you in touch with Jill Seifers. She can do Norah
jones far better than Nroah can, has paid some does, but doesn't know one
of two things. Either she jsut hasnt' had the connections to get the
opportunity or she doesn't understand that her musical abilities are all
for naught without the songwiting. Jill is a singer not a writer. But if
smeone wnat's to blow Norah out of the water Jill's got the talent, just
not the producer and song access.

www.monsterisland.com

I'll second your nomination of Jill Seifers. Jill's got enormous
talent as a vocalist, and by all rights she ought to be much better
known than she is. And I'd wager she can actually write if she
decides to do it...I've known very few as witty and clever as she is.
Good call.

I'll give the songwriting crown to Nellie McKay hands down, though it
will be interesting to see whether Nellie's clever songwriting appeals
to as many people as Norah. And as far as the "you'd have made that
album if you could have" argument...as I said, Nellie turned down Blue
Note who wanted to do just that.

But I won't say that Norah doesn't have anything going on. I heard
one of her early demos from when she first got to NY, and she
definitely has a presence if nothing else. I wouldn't compare her to
jazz singers though.

Luke
Aaron Householter

Leave it to me to be anything but the peacemaker of all of this Norah
Jones stuff, ....., one quick thing though, is that Sorcerer sound
auction, my understanding is that Norah was bidding on a lot of items,
possibly the piano and the mic, (maybe she's paranoid that the gear
made her and wants to have it all for future sessions) I don't really
know her music that much, but a speaker builder that rents space from
me always plays her music and I find it very forgetable. She's no
****ing Joni Mitchell as far as I'm concerned, but that's me. The
great thing about art or music or whatever is that it appeals (or
doesn't) to everyone, we all have what we like and don't like. If
Norah loves music and maybe just isn't that talented, great for her,
keep doing it sista' . But I set the bar a little higher I guess. I
guess the thing that bothers me is that, the "industry" shoves all
these awards out for a very uninspiring record that will be crowding
the used bin in 6 months. I still have several of my original copies
of Court and Spark and Blue that I wouldn't go to a desert isle (or is
that dessert) without. I feel sad for the world that we don't demand
more. Ah **** it, i'm just living in the past.
OK, put it this way, let's pretend all of us here in RAP are in one
of those old bombers and the bomber is loaded with CD's and we're all
shot up heading back to England over the English Channel on a wing and
a prayer and over the intercom Captain Geoff Tanner (he's British so
get's to be captain) screams "we gotta loose some weight or we ain't
gonna make it lads" who do we throw out first, our Joni Mitchell and
Carole King CD's or Norah Jones Grammy Winning album? Your decision
says a lot about you, as for me , Norah's CD is in Davey Jones Locker
and I ain't talkin about the Monkees baby.
Aaron Householter
studio1117
Peter Gemmell

What the ****? To me your main point is that Norah's album is at all
comparable to Joni or Carol. I listened to Norah's album 4 or 5 times a
day for what seemed like months. It's friggin' beautiful, no?
Peter

Aaron Householter wrote:
[...]

LeBaron & Alrich

Default Hurricane

Analogeezer wrote:

I've been buying large bags of mulch as "sandbags"...

They float.

--
ha
LeBaron & Alrich

Mike Caffrey wrote:

Oh yeah. If you think I'm full of **** about Norah being nothing special
and why don't I do and album like that the answer is I don't want to. but
if anyone does, I'll put you in touch with Jill Seifers. She can do Norah
jones far better than Nroah can, has paid some does, but doesn't know one
of two things. Either she jsut hasnt' had the connections to get the
opportunity or she doesn't understand that her musical abilities are all
for naught without the songwiting. Jill is a singer not a writer. But if
smeone wnat's to blow Norah out of the water Jill's got the talent, just
not the producer and song access.

So find her the songs, Mike, and help her find a producer. Or is this
rant just another version of how many guitar players it takes to change
a light bulb?

--
ha

New Norah Jones CD Mike Audio Opinions 5 February 20th 04 10:07 PM
RAP5/3/8 Rick Jones "Never Walk the Floor" Carey Carlan Pro Audio 0 August 16th 03 11:42 PM
Norah Jones: was she told to sing off-key on her album? WBRW Pro Audio 31 July 23rd 03 08:01 AM