Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] alexh75@gmail.com is offline

Default What do I need to make this work?

Hi there

I have a Liteon DVD Recorder with the following audio outputs

Digital Coax
Optical
2 x Phono

My Sky satellite box has 2xphono out

I have a set of Creative 5.1 speakers. These have the usual phono
inputs.

I would imagine that I need some sort of receiver/amplifier between the
source devices and the speakers into which I could plug in the digital
coax or optical from the DVD Recorder and the 2 x phono from the sky
box.

If this is correct, would this receiver/amplifier have some sort of
decoder to output the signal from the DVD in surround sound? Can the
phono signal from the Sky box be put out in surround sound too?

Any advice welcome!

Many thanks
Alex

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Adam Sampson Adam Sampson is offline

Walt writes:

What do you mean by "phono" output? I don't think it means what you
think it means...

The connectors that are called "RCA jacks" in the US are called "phono
sockets" in the UK (and presumably elsewhere in the world); it's quite
common for set-top boxes to have a pair of them for stereo audio
output at line level.

--
Adam Sampson http://offog.org/
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Andy Yee Andy Yee is offline

Stuart Krivis wrote in
:

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 02:06:04 +0100, Adam Sampson
wrote:

Walt writes:

What do you mean by "phono" output? I don't think it means what you
think it means...

The connectors that are called "RCA jacks" in the US are called "phono
sockets" in the UK (and presumably elsewhere in the world); it's quite
common for set-top boxes to have a pair of them for stereo audio
output at line level.

They are/were called "phono" jacks in the US too. The other common one
was the "phone" jack, and that was the 1/4" tip and sleeve design that
was originally used on phone switchboards.

I think Walt was trying to distinguish between normal line-level RCA
jacks, and "phono" RCA jacks, which required a different level of
amplification than the normal line-level jacks...

Andy Yee E-Mail: ayee AT mn dot rr dot com
President Home Page: http://home.mn.rr.com/andyyee
New Directions Engineering, Inc.

Godwin's Law: As a USENET thread grows, the probability of a reference
to Hitler or Nazis approaches 1.00.
Corollary: When such a reference is made, it is generally
recognized that the poster has LOST the argument.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

my intel 440bx motherbd, 450mhz slot 1pentium , and on board sound devices
have performed excellent with magix audio studio 7 as software to capture
any signal from the line or microphone inputs.

dont perform any other task while transcribing , to prevent ANY glitches.
even with 1.2ghz units we have noticed even the best PC arrangements can and
usually will have errors during audio transcriptions.

add-on sound card was possible, but not needed

if turntable does not have adequate signal strength, then you may run that
into standard turntable input on receiver/audio amp and then use output from
that to the PC sound card input

it is EASY!

riaa equalization can be performed easily in software at later time.

sound cleanup, removal of pops. hiss, scratch noise, and other is also done
within the software.

most vinyl and a decent turn table will provide u with outstanding audio
clarity.

writingto cd is an equally easy task.

also, read the package instructions, that always seems to help.

oups.com...