Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default My Experince Digitally Enhancing Audio

From what appears to be a bootleg CD set. Remember, Rhino/Warner claims they don't have the master tapes! Anyway, I'm watching the (VU) 15kHz bar and it wasn't jumping as it should, sometimes stagnate! So, I LQQKED at the entire spectrum and there it was, a decent size [constant?] peak at 19kHz!!! What is was or what it was caused by is unknown, my hearing isn't that good! So, I did what any FINE audio engineer would do, I truncated everything above 17kHz. The 15kHz bar was jumping fine now! Now, this is where it gets a bit strange.

I MAXIMIZE the waveform, and it drops to less than 2/3 the envelope!! I didn't see any peaks limiting amplitude, was zoomed out though.
So, I trim peaks a couple time until I got the amplitude where I wanted it!

Sounds good! Oh, The Coasters, Poison Ivy, 1959...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...oisonivy-s.mp3

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA wrote:

From what appears to be a bootleg CD set. Remember, Rhino/Warner claims they don't have the master tapes! Anyway, I'm watching the (VU) 15kHz bar and it wasn't jumping as it should, sometimes stagnate! So, I LQQKED at the entire spectrum and there it was, a decent size [constant?] peak at 19kHz!!! What is was or what it was caused by is unknown, my hearing isn't that good!

** Likely recorded from FM radio with some residual 19kHz pilot tone and inherently band limited audio to 15kHz.

Sounds good! Oh, The Coasters, Poison Ivy, 1959...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...oisonivy-s.mp3

** That version sounds just soooo whimpy compared with the Aussie band "Billy Thorpe & the Aztecs" 1964 hit version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrHoEx7cpDM

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/11/2016 8:18 AM, JackA wrote:
From what appears to be a bootleg CD set.
I LQQKED at the entire spectrum and there it was, a
decent size [constant?] peak at 19kHz!!! What is was or what it was
caused by is unknown

Probably it started out its bootleg life as a recording made from an FM
broadcast.

The baseband signal is the mono (L+R) band-limited to 15 kHz. The
left-minus-right is amplitude modulated supressed carrier on a 38 kHz
subcarrier within 75 kHz FM channel. This is decoded with an M-S stereo
matrix at the receiver end. There's also a 19 kHz "pilot" transmitted
along with the mono audio signal. This serves two purposes. It's exactly
half the subcarrier frequency and in phase with it and is used as a
reference to regenerate the carrier within the receiver so the L-R
signal can be demodulated. That 19 kHz tone has a secondary purpose, and
that's to turn on the "STEREO" light on the FM radio. In the early days
of stereo FM broadcasting when much of the program material was mono,
sleazy stations would transmit the pilot anyway (without the L-R
modulated subcarrier) so you'd think the station was broadcasting in
stereo.

The pilot is generally about 10 dB (power) below the maximum program
level. Perhaps some quirk of the spectrum analysis program you're using
was showing it closer to peak level, if I understood your observations.
Spectrum analyzers often lie, even if they don't know that they're
lying. Same as salesmen and the people who staff tech support call centers.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Phil Allison wrote:
JackA wrote:

From what appears to be a bootleg CD set. Remember, Rhino/Warner claims t=

hey don't have the master tapes! Anyway, I'm watching the (VU) 15kHz bar an=
d it wasn't jumping as it should, sometimes stagnate! So, I LQQKED at the e=
ntire spectrum and there it was, a decent size [constant?] peak at 19kHz!!!=
What is was or what it was caused by is unknown, my hearing isn't that goo=
d!

** Likely recorded from FM radio with some residual 19kHz pilot tone and in=
herently band limited audio to 15kHz.=20

Bingo. Best solution is a narrow notch filter rather than wacking the hell
out of the top end with a wide filter.

Not an unusual problem, either. I'm shocked at the number of recordings that
have audible video sweep leakage on them. Notch it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 10:32:33 AM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
JackA wrote:

From what appears to be a bootleg CD set. Remember, Rhino/Warner claims they don't have the master tapes! Anyway, I'm watching the (VU) 15kHz bar and it wasn't jumping as it should, sometimes stagnate! So, I LQQKED at the entire spectrum and there it was, a decent size [constant?] peak at 19kHz!!! What is was or what it was caused by is unknown, my hearing isn't that good!

** Likely recorded from FM radio with some residual 19kHz pilot tone and inherently band limited audio to 15kHz.

FM Radio? Those crooks!! Thing is, it's a (2) CD set with out-takes.

Sounds good! Oh, The Coasters, Poison Ivy, 1959...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...oisonivy-s.mp3

** That version sounds just soooo whimpy compared with the Aussie band "Billy Thorpe & the Aztecs" 1964 hit version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrHoEx7cpDM

Not bad!

Thanks.

Jack

.... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 12:48:11 PM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
JackA wrote:

From what appears to be a bootleg CD set. Remember, Rhino/Warner claims t=

hey don't have the master tapes! Anyway, I'm watching the (VU) 15kHz bar an=
d it wasn't jumping as it should, sometimes stagnate! So, I LQQKED at the e=
ntire spectrum and there it was, a decent size [constant?] peak at 19kHz!!!=
What is was or what it was caused by is unknown, my hearing isn't that goo=
d!

** Likely recorded from FM radio with some residual 19kHz pilot tone and in=
herently band limited audio to 15kHz.=20

Bingo. Best solution is a narrow notch filter rather than wacking the hell
out of the top end with a wide filter.

Not an unusual problem, either. I'm shocked at the number of recordings that
have audible video sweep leakage on them. Notch it.

My bad, it's closer to 18kHz. Here's the original file, take a look, I used Audacity spectrum analyzer...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abpsp/08-track_8.mp3

My gripe about harsh chopping, if HF is so important, then why do both WinAmp (16kHz) and Goldwave (15kHz) last equalizer bands are the limits!?

Thanks.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 11:40:25 AM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 8/11/2016 8:18 AM, JackA wrote:
From what appears to be a bootleg CD set.
I LQQKED at the entire spectrum and there it was, a
decent size [constant?] peak at 19kHz!!! What is was or what it was
caused by is unknown

Probably it started out its bootleg life as a recording made from an FM
broadcast.

The day, I mean, the day someone broadcasts 60-70 Coasters songs, with outtakes, with decent stereo, over the air, is the day that hot place freeze over!

Jack

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 11:40:25 AM UTC-4, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 8/11/2016 8:18 AM, JackA wrote:
From what appears to be a bootleg CD set.
[...]

Checked another Clovers song, same CD, no HF peak.
Maybe DAC issue.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

The pilot is generally about 10 dB (power) below the maximum program
level. Perhaps some quirk of the spectrum analysis program you're using
was showing it closer to peak level, if I understood your observations.
Spectrum analyzers often lie, even if they don't know that they're
lying. Same as salesmen and the people who staff tech support call centers.

If it is 19 kHz pilot from FM stereo pilot tone, it will be EXACTLY 19 kHz.

If it is some artifact from a tape recorder bias osc or video screen etc it will likely be a bit off 19 kHz.

I'll take a look later tonight.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 3:51:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:

The pilot is generally about 10 dB (power) below the maximum program
level. Perhaps some quirk of the spectrum analysis program you're using
was showing it closer to peak level, if I understood your observations.
Spectrum analyzers often lie, even if they don't know that they're
lying. Same as salesmen and the people who staff tech support call centers.

If it is 19 kHz pilot from FM stereo pilot tone, it will be EXACTLY 19 kHz.

If it is some artifact from a tape recorder bias osc or video screen etc it will likely be a bit off 19 kHz.

I'll take a look later tonight.

Mark

Mark, from the CD content, I doubt it's due to an FM transmission. Maybe just that song has a ~18.25kHz peak. Has to be something else. Besides, it can't be heard, so no real big deal, it just bothered me looking a VU bars!

Thanks.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 3:51:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:

The pilot is generally about 10 dB (power) below the maximum program
level. Perhaps some quirk of the spectrum analysis program you're using
was showing it closer to peak level, if I understood your observations.
Spectrum analyzers often lie, even if they don't know that they're
lying. Same as salesmen and the people who staff tech support call centers.

If it is 19 kHz pilot from FM stereo pilot tone, it will be EXACTLY 19 kHz.

If it is some artifact from a tape recorder bias osc or video screen etc it will likely be a bit off 19 kHz.

I'll take a look later tonight.

Mark

I'm GUESSING it is a constant 18+ kHz tone. But, try notching it, try truncating before that frequency and then Maximize to envelope, and maybe you'll see what I saw, the entire waveform collapsed! Strange. Maybe that tone kept it from being properly maximized, but I saw no defined peak to limit the waveform.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 12/08/2016 9:02 a.m., JackA wrote:
Mark, from the CD content, I doubt it's due to an FM transmission. Maybe just that song has a ~18.25kHz peak. Has to be something else. Besides, it can't be heard, so no real big deal, it just bothered me looking a VU bars!

"VU bars" - that sound a rather agricultural SA.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
The pilot is generally about 10 dB (power) below the maximum program
level. Perhaps some quirk of the spectrum analysis program you're using
was showing it closer to peak level, if I understood your observations.
Spectrum analyzers often lie, even if they don't know that they're
lying. Same as salesmen and the people who staff tech support call centers.

If it is 19 kHz pilot from FM stereo pilot tone, it will be EXACTLY 19 kHz.

Indeed.
And you should realize that pilot tone leaks insidiously around in some FM
cable plants, coupling into tie lines and other places where it doesn't belong
so studio broadcast recordings can have issues too, though not as dramatically
as off-air recordings.

If it is some artifact from a tape recorder bias osc or video screen etc it will likely be a bit off 19 kHz.

Video sweep will be at 15625 or 15734 depending on the country. But switching
supply noise can be anywhere, as can bias spurs.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 5:35:21 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 12/08/2016 9:02 a.m., JackA wrote:
Mark, from the CD content, I doubt it's due to an FM transmission. Maybe just that song has a ~18.25kHz peak. Has to be something else. Besides, it can't be heard, so no real big deal, it just bothered me looking a VU bars!

"VU bars" - that sound a rather agricultural SA.

geoff

Happy Hour soon!...
http://www.vunyc.com/

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 5:40:36 PM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
[...]

525 Lines x 60 (Hz) x 2 (passes) = 15,750

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

wrote:
[...]

Sorry, 525 Lines x 60 (Hz) / 2 (passes) = 15,750

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

on the "original" it looks like it starts at a bit above 18 kHz at the
start of the song, and drifts down to 18kHz by the end, so I'm going
guess it's a record bias oscillator artifact. 18 kHz is too low to be a bias osc, so maybe somehow it is 1/2 of the bias freq?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 12/08/2016 1:40 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
Perhaps some quirk of the spectrum analysis program you're using
was showing it closer to peak level, if I understood your observations.
Spectrum analyzers often lie, even if they don't know that they're
lying.

Rubbish, spectrum analysers show exactly what they are designed to. Now
they may be badly designed, or far more often used by people who have no
idea what all the settings are for and when to use them. So you may not
get the result you expect if you don't know what you are doing, but they
don't actually 'lie without knowing it'.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
on the "original" it looks like it starts at a bit above 18 kHz at the
start of the song, and drifts down to 18kHz by the end, so I'm going
guess it's a record bias oscillator artifact. 18 kHz is too low to be a bias osc, so maybe somehow it is 1/2 of the bias freq?

No, it would be the bias oscillator beating against something else, most
likely. And the bias oscillator itself is pretty steady so likely that thing
is drifting.

Drifting sources are a little harder because you either have to widen the notch
a little, or shift it with time, but it's not that big a deal. Just notch it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 10:12:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
on the "original" it looks like it starts at a bit above 18 kHz at the
start of the song, and drifts down to 18kHz by the end, so I'm going
guess it's a record bias oscillator artifact. 18 kHz is too low to be a bias osc, so maybe somehow it is 1/2 of the bias freq?

Maybe a HF carrier (wasn't that in 40+ kHz area?) for Quad!
Plus, fidelity is too good for "normal" FM stereo broadcast.

Thanks for the detective work.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 10:12:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
on the "original" it looks like it starts at a bit above 18 kHz at the
start of the song, and drifts down to 18kHz by the end, so I'm going
guess it's a record bias oscillator artifact. 18 kHz is too low to be a bias osc, so maybe somehow it is 1/2 of the bias freq?

p.s. Maybe from an erase head. They did erase anything, just obliterated content w/ HF (~40kHz) signal.

Though (as a kid) a cheap 3.25" reel recorder had a small permanent magnet as an erase mechanism.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 8:45:51 AM UTC-4, JackA wrote:
On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 10:12:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
on the "original" it looks like it starts at a bit above 18 kHz at the
start of the song, and drifts down to 18kHz by the end, so I'm going
guess it's a record bias oscillator artifact. 18 kHz is too low to be a bias osc, so maybe somehow it is 1/2 of the bias freq?

p.s. Maybe from an erase head. They did erase anything, just obliterated content w/ HF (~40kHz) signal.

Though (as a kid) a cheap 3.25" reel recorder had a small permanent magnet as an erase mechanism.

Jack

Correction: They DIDN'T erase anything
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 8:29:19 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
on the "original" it looks like it starts at a bit above 18 kHz at the
start of the song, and drifts down to 18kHz by the end, so I'm going
guess it's a record bias oscillator artifact. 18 kHz is too low to be a bias osc, so maybe somehow it is 1/2 of the bias freq?

No, it would be the bias oscillator beating against something else, most
likely. And the bias oscillator itself is pretty steady so likely that thing
is drifting.

Drifting sources are a little harder because you either have to widen the notch
a little, or shift it with time, but it's not that big a deal. Just notch it.

But, if you can't hear it, why notch anything??!

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/08/2016 13:48, JackA wrote:
On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 8:45:51 AM UTC-4, JackA wrote:
On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 10:12:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
on the "original" it looks like it starts at a bit above 18 kHz at the
start of the song, and drifts down to 18kHz by the end, so I'm going
guess it's a record bias oscillator artifact. 18 kHz is too low to be a bias osc, so maybe somehow it is 1/2 of the bias freq?

p.s. Maybe from an erase head. They did erase anything, just obliterated content w/ HF (~40kHz) signal.

Yet again, you prove you don't have a clue. An erase head is almost as
effective as a bulk eraser, if it's set right. It sets the magnetic
domains in the tape pointing in almost random directions, so erasing the
original signal. There might be something about 60 or 70 db down in the
noise...

Though (as a kid) a cheap 3.25" reel recorder had a small permanent magnet as an erase mechanism.

Which sets all the domains into perfect alignment, so making the tape
noisier. Cheap recorders like that also used to use DC bias to linearise
the tape response, increasing tape noise, while magnetising the head so
it partially erased every tape played on that machine.

Correction: They DIDN'T erase anything

On the contrary, they erased everything, assuming they were slightly
wider than the recorded track and were powerful enough. Good luck
recovering anything useful from a properly erased tape. Of course, for
full erasure, you used a bulk eraser, which was basically a large, mains
powered solenoid with a very large external field, capable of ruining
cheap watches by making the hairspring stick together.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 10:14:37 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
[...]

But, even with bulk erasers, John, it depends how slowly the AC magnetic field diminishes. Maybe not with tape, but as you mention, (demagnetizing) watches, you could do more harm than good.

Never had great success with a Radio Shack bulk tape eraser.

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 13/08/2016 2:08 AM, JackA wrote:

But, if you can't hear it, why notch anything??!

Jack

Just because *you* can't .....

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 8:39:07 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 13/08/2016 2:08 AM, JackA wrote:

But, if you can't hear it, why notch anything??!

Jack

Just because *you* can't .....

Allow me to share some stories....

I enjoy reviewing CDs, but one other person (Dave) saw me as an insult to him and his CD collection, he began stalking me, foul language, the works. After many e-mails, finding he is just a decent person, he tells me I should be remastering. He swore I was lying to him about a Beatles multi-track stereo mix I made. He wanted to know what CD it was on. I even offered him the multi-tracks as proof.

Joe, is a nice contributor to my site. I tell Joe, if he wants anything I post, just yell, I feel he deserves to be compensated. I ask Joe what does he want, what I originally found or what I enhance. He told me to decide! More recently, he tells me he has yet to hear anything I do that fouls the sound, just improves.

Ted, is another. He finds me a 96kbps stereo MP3, probably escaped, and was just to be used as a review/opinion. Has yet to be published. I enhance it to the best of my abilities, send it back to Ted and he asks, what, you found the multi-tracks!? I chuckled.

End of stories and my inability to hear.

Good night.

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 13/08/2016 6:31 PM, JackA wrote:

End of stories and my inability to hear.

Good night.

What does any of that twaddle have to do with not being able to hear 19kHz ?

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 13/08/2016 07:40, geoff wrote:
On 13/08/2016 6:31 PM, JackA wrote:

End of stories and my inability to hear.

Good night.

What does any of that twaddle have to do with not being able to hear
19kHz ?

Nothing whatsoever, it also proves that some of JackAss's mates are deaf
as well.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 13/08/2016 07:31, JackA wrote:
[...]

So, if somebody disagrees with you, they are a deaf stalker, while if
they agree with you, they are nice guys with good hearing. Glad that's
been settled.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
On 13/08/2016 2:08 AM, JackA wrote:

But, if you can't hear it, why notch anything??!

Jack

Just because *you* can't .....

That's why the parametric is a tool for helping you hear what is there as
well as altering it. Set the filter narrow, set it to boost, work it back
and forth until you hear the severely exaggerated whistle, then flip it
down to cut. Now you have your notch.

Now take a shelving filter set to maximum boost and start working it from
the highest possible frequency downward and listen for when you start hearing
something other than noise. Now you know at what point the original recording
bandwidth really peters out, even if your monitoring isn't flat in the top
octave.

You can do the same thing on the bottom end if you have decent monitoring,
even if your low end is a bit lumpy as long as you have good enough extension
you can start cranking up that filter from zero and listening to the track
for something other than noise being boosted. Needless to say you'll be able
to low-cut a vocal more aggressively than a bassoon, but using the parametric
shows you exactly where and how much you can get away with cutting, when you
don't quite trust your monitors.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 2:55:37 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
[...]

Nice fantasy!!

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!