Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Enhancing CD Audio via DAW

Before I begin enhancing audio, I have a sound in mind that I wish to achieve.
I also look at the waveform to give me some idea how much work it will take to achieve my goal. This particular fine song from Andy Gibb is from a Japanese CD.

Some tend to think Japan CDs sound superior, but I don't. They (Japan) had identical mastering problems as the US. When I see and hear that Maximizing waveform amplitude is getting me nowhere, rather than begin peak trimming (aka compressing), I give it a Light Dynamic boost (Goldwave software feature). Like the Pablo Cruise song, this probably required a double dose of Dynamics. And, when you are all through audio enhancing, people will quickly recognize it's louder, but the waveform won't look like the top of freshly mowed grass (flat-top)! And the sound? Give it a go, see what you think. This was created from an existing MP3, maybe 256 or 320 kbps! I know John (site contributor) liked it, maybe you will, too. Joe Walsh is in there somewhere...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...eisthicker.mp3

Jack