Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Headphone shopping, again

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 11:13:49 PM UTC-4, geoff wrote:
On 16/05/2016 2:53 p.m., wrote:
geoff wrote: "- show quoted text -
Um "3 decades " . Must have been in your tardis again.

"Wrong" ? - depends on what your requirements are. Unlike you
(presumably) I actually own and sometimes use a pair.

geoff "

You ASSumed wrong. I own the MDR-7506
and have no problem with its sound across
a wide variety of uses.

Well you didn't fully comprehend (surprise surprise) my sentence then,
which acknowledged the possibility that you might in fact have a pair.

You don't think that the 7506s are very bright and have spectacular but
unrealistic bass ?
Have you listened to many other headphones or quality speaker systems,
or know what uncoloured music sounds like ?

Funny story. When I first got the 7506s I was listening at home, late at
night, to Peter Gabriel "Shaking The Tree" only slightly loud on the
headphones when I had a panic attack that my main stereo speakers were
in fact turned on and the household was being wakened. I knew this
because I could feel the whole room vibrating to the bass. I tore the
headphones off and reached for the volume control. Except the speakers
were in fact not on at all.

Maybe poor mastering. Why I fix CD audio up until I, not some stranger, like it.

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On 16/05/2016 2:53 p.m., wrote:
[...]

"I am not happy with the Peter Gabriel *Shaking The Tree* SACD"

See?

Jack

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] omniclassic@gmail.com is offline

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 2:55:40 PM UTC-7, Dave O'Heare wrote:
I'm shopping for headphones, again, and I'm looking for suggestions
(again).

My now-broken headphones are Sennheiser HDsomething (220, maybe?), and I
never particularly liked them. I find the construction poor (the ratchet
that sets the headband size has been broken since they were fairly new, the
covering on the headband pad is disintegrating all over everything, the
screw-on 1/4"-3.5mm adapter came apart and nobody else's fits right, little
stuff). Yes, one is supposed to be able to get replacement parts for these,
but Sennheiser Canada has been difficult to deal with in the past.

What is most important to me is robustness/reliability and good isolation;
these are the phones that will go in my mobile kit and get dragged through
festivals and fields and all kinds of nonsense. High efficiency is also a
plus. Ultra fidelity isn't so important. Price is a bit of an issue, I'd
like to stay under $200.

Should I just say to heck with it and get a set of Sony MDR7506's? Or am I
missing something?

Dave O'H

Try a set of AKG K553 closed back phones. Very comfortable with good isolation for about $200 or $120 on Massdrop.

RCA to Headphone converter: do not want wireless headphone hpeter Car Audio 4 September 26th 06 02:50 PM
Dolby headphone or just traditional Hi-Fi headphone? Taru Tech 0 July 17th 06 04:33 PM
Turntable shopping Filmophile High End Audio 19 February 16th 06 01:03 AM
Shopping for Speakers lynsam Tech 0 March 15th 04 07:37 PM
Shopping for a sub Anb Car Audio 8 August 17th 03 07:37 AM