Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Bennett[_3_] John Bennett[_3_] is offline

Default Repairing Sony Pro walkman WM-D6C

I think I've blown the speed controller chip on my Walkman. I
inadvertently (and stupidly) connected power with the polarity reversed
and it started running at just over double speed! I've inexpensively
sourced a type CX20084 chip, which I believe is usually the cure for
this problem?

I am wondering whether I can replace the chip myself but I don't have a
service manual and have no idea where the chip is located or how to
dismantle the unit to get to it. Any suggestions?

Thanks John

--
John Bennett johndotbennettatsmartemaildotcodotuk
Posted to rec.audio.pro

That chip is IC601. It's on the "ear" of the main board, right near the
battery connections.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"John Bennett" wrote in message
eb.com...
I think I've blown the speed controller chip on my Walkman. I inadvertently
(and stupidly) connected power with the polarity reversed and it started
running at just over double speed! I've inexpensively sourced a type
CX20084 chip, which I believe is usually the cure for this problem?

I am wondering whether I can replace the chip myself but I don't have a
service manual and have no idea where the chip is located or how to
dismantle the unit to get to it. Any suggestions?

Google on Zoom digital recorder

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

John Bennett wrote:
I think I've blown the speed controller chip on my Walkman. I
inadvertently (and stupidly) connected power with the polarity reversed
and it started running at just over double speed! I've inexpensively
sourced a type CX20084 chip, which I believe is usually the cure for
this problem?

I am wondering whether I can replace the chip myself but I don't have a
service manual and have no idea where the chip is located or how to
dismantle the unit to get to it. Any suggestions?

Call Sony, order the service manual. It's not expensive.
+1 816-891-7550

I never worked on the Professional Walkman, it looked too tight and cramped
for me. I always sent them to Greg at Washington Professional Music in DC
or Photocine Servicenter in LA.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I was the "first responder", and told the OP where the chip was on the main
board.

Doesn't anyone read these posts?

I neglected to mention that Sony usually marks the "screws to be removed"
with engraved arrows.

The manual (if still available) will cost you around $15. Many years ago,
even huge Sony manuals cost a dollar or two.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mon 28 May 2012, William Sommerwerck wrote:
I was the "first responder", and told the OP where the chip was on
the main board.

Doesn't anyone read these posts?

I neglected to mention that Sony usually marks the "screws to be
removed" with engraved arrows.

The manual (if still available) will cost you around $15. Many years
ago, even huge Sony manuals cost a dollar or two.

Thanks William I did read and appreciate your reply. Just not sure if I
have the skills to change this chip - I'd hate to burn it out and maybe
wreck other components in the process!

On Mon 28 May 2012, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
John wrote:
I think I've blown the speed controller chip on my Walkman. I
inadvertently (and stupidly) connected power with the polarity
reversed and it started running at just over double speed! I've
inexpensively sourced a type CX20084 chip, which I believe is
usually the cure for this problem?

I am wondering whether I can replace the chip myself but I don't
have a service manual and have no idea where the chip is located or
how to dismantle the unit to get to it. Any suggestions?

Call Sony, order the service manual. It's not expensive. +1
816-891-7550

I never worked on the Professional Walkman, it looked too tight and
cramped for me. I always sent them to Greg at Washington
Professional Music in DC or Photocine Servicenter in LA. --scott

Thanks for the advice Scott. I'm a retired cameraman in the UK and I
don't think I'm really confident enough to take on this job so will have
a word with Sound Recordist friends here and see if they know anyone who
could do it for me.

Regards John
--
John Bennett johndotbennettatsmartemaildotcodotuk
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John wrote:
[...]

Have you spoken to Sony in Staines? They sometimes have spare mechanical
parts and boards for obsolete machines in stock. They definitely have
facilities to repair their boards at a cost.

http://1stdirectory.co.uk/companies/...ony-uk-ltd.htm

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

There used to be a company in Kansas City that specializes in servicing
products Sony has abandoned.

Electronic Services
9150 West 135th Street
Overland Park, KS 66221

913-402-1200

Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Bennett wrote:

Thanks William I did read and appreciate your reply. Just not sure if I
have the skills to change this chip - I'd hate to burn it out and maybe
wreck other components in the process!

If you have ever worked on SMT stuff, this is easier. If you have a
temperature-controlled iron and a solder sucker, give it a try. Use
more flux than you think you need, work hot and work fast.

If you don't have a temperature controlled iron, take it to someone else.

Thanks for the advice Scott. I'm a retired cameraman in the UK and I
don't think I'm really confident enough to take on this job so will have
a word with Sound Recordist friends here and see if they know anyone who
could do it for me.

Sony actually still supports these things. I remember when they came out
they were nothing short of a miracle... we used to put them in plastic bags
and tape them to surfboards and to surfers to get live production sound on
surf movies.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

If you have ever worked on SMT stuff, this is easier.
If you have a temperature-controlled iron and a solder
sucker, give it a try. Use more flux than you think you
need, work hot and work fast.

I can see the trailer...

"In a world where electronic equipment was doomed to disposal before it
reached the end of its useful life... Scott Dorsey Worked Hot and Worked
Fast!"

Sony actually still supports these things. I remember when
they came out they were nothing short of a miracle. We used
to put them in plastic bags and tape them to surfboards (and
to surfers) to get live production sound on surf movies.

No Nakamichi, but a remarkably good recorder. (And, coincidentally, it winds
the tape with great smoothness, a near-perfect pack most of the time.) A
genuine classic.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mon 28 May 2012, John Williamson wrote:

Have you spoken to Sony in Staines? They sometimes have spare
mechanical parts and boards for obsolete machines in stock. They
definitely have facilities to repair their boards at a cost.

http://1stdirectory.co.uk/companies/...ony-uk-ltd.htm

Thanks for that and the other replies. I may well end up going to Sony
if I can't find anyone to do it for me! I was trying to save money and
have now got the chip (it was UKP 9), it's tiny and there's no way I
would attempt to replace it! Also I don't have a
temperature-controlled iron and have never tried working hot and fast!

Just finally is there any other damage I might have done by briefly
applying the wrong polarity voltage? It appears to be functioning OK
except for the speed.

Cheers John

--
John Bennett johndotbennettatsmartemaildotcodotuk
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 5/29/2012 11:01 AM, John Bennett wrote:

Just finally is there any other damage I might have done by
briefly applying the wrong polarity voltage? It appears to
be functioning OK except for the speed.

There certainly could have been other damage, or the speed
problem might have just been coincidental, perhaps caused by
a transient when you unplugged the power supply. I'm a bit
surprised that they didn't stick a diode in there so that no
current would flow if it was connected with the wrong
polarity. But if it didn't work when you powered it up
backwards (sorry, I don't remember if you said that in your
original post) then I'd go with coincidence. Could be a
mechanical problem, too, or either.

You have to first fix what you know is broken before you can
find what else might be broken.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 29/05/2012 17:15, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/29/2012 11:01 AM, John Bennett wrote:

Just finally is there any other damage I might have done by
briefly applying the wrong polarity voltage? It appears to
be functioning OK except for the speed.

There certainly could have been other damage, or the speed problem might
have just been coincidental, perhaps caused by a transient when you
unplugged the power supply. I'm a bit surprised that they didn't stick a
diode in there so that no current would flow if it was connected with
the wrong polarity. But if it didn't work when you powered it up
backwards (sorry, I don't remember if you said that in your original
post) then I'd go with coincidence. Could be a mechanical problem, too,
or either.

You have to first fix what you know is broken before you can find what
else might be broken.

When I've used Sony at Staines in the past, they were happy to give me a
(Chargeable, but charge refunded when they do the work) quote before
they started work. In the OP's case, I'd expect that they'd quote for a
new main board or (possibly) a full refurb, depending on his
requirements. I'd go for the full refurb as you've then got, in effect,
a brand new unit.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"John Bennett" wrote in message
eb.com...
I think I've blown the speed controller chip on my Walkman. I
inadvertently (and stupidly) connected power with the polarity reversed
and it started running at just over double speed! I've inexpensively
sourced a type CX20084 chip, which I believe is usually the cure for this
problem?

I am wondering whether I can replace the chip myself but I don't have a
service manual and have no idea where the chip is located or how to
dismantle the unit to get to it. Any suggestions?

Google on Zoom digital recorder

I used to have a WM-DC. It was a nice machine in the 1980's.

This, I reckon, would beat it hands down on every technical, audio, and
practical aspect imaginable, but I guess that's not the point.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H1-Portab.../dp/B003QKBVYK

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"John Bennett" wrote in message
eb.com...
I think I've blown the speed controller chip on my Walkman. I
inadvertently (and stupidly) connected power with the polarity reversed
and it started running at just over double speed! I've inexpensively
sourced a type CX20084 chip, which I believe is usually the cure for this
problem?

I am wondering whether I can replace the chip myself but I don't have a
service manual and have no idea where the chip is located or how to
dismantle the unit to get to it. Any suggestions?

Google on Zoom digital recorder

I used to have a WM-DC. It was a nice machine in the 1980's.

I had a WM D3 if memory serves.

This, I reckon, would beat it hands down on every technical, audio, and
practical aspect imaginable, but I guess that's not the point.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H1-Portab.../dp/B003QKBVYK

Well "the point" seems a little unclear. If the goal is making good
recordings, then the Zoom looks good. If the goal is sentimentality, then
not so much.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gareth Magennis wrote:

I used to have a WM-DC. It was a nice machine in the 1980's.

This, I reckon, would beat it hands down on every technical, audio, and
practical aspect imaginable, but I guess that's not the point.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H1-Portab.../dp/B003QKBVYK

Maybe.
But if you took a Zoom and a D6 and put each one in a plastic bag and
ran them through the washing machine, I bet the D6 will last longer than
the Zoom. It didn't sound very good, but it worked in places where nothing
else did.

The TCD-D3 will probably fail before you can get it into the bag, though.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue 29 May 2012, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"John Bennett" wrote in message
eb.com...
I think I've blown the speed controller chip on my Walkman. I
inadvertently (and stupidly) connected power with the polarity
reversed and it started running at just over double speed! I've
inexpensively sourced a type CX20084 chip, which I believe is
usually the cure for this problem?

I am wondering whether I can replace the chip myself but I don't
have a service manual and have no idea where the chip is located
or how to dismantle the unit to get to it. Any suggestions?

Google on Zoom digital recorder

I used to have a WM-DC. It was a nice machine in the 1980's.

This, I reckon, would beat it hands down on every technical, audio,
and practical aspect imaginable, but I guess that's not the point.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H1-Portab.../dp/B003QKBVYK

I only use the Pro Walkman for transferring the odd music cassette to
the computer. It's become a rare occurrence now but that's the only
reason I want to keep it in working condition. I really can't justify
spending a lot of money on it!

For years I used a 3 head Nakamichi BX 300E for recording and playback
but replaced that with the walkman when the Nakamichi started to fail. I
do miss the Nakamichi, it was brilliant and IMO better quality than the
Walkman! I've also noticed that WM-D6Cs in good working condition are
still fetching good prices on Ebay.

For any "field" recordings I make, I use an old Sony minidisk, which
again I find excellent and far better quality than either the Nakamichi
or the Walkman. I'd be interested to know whether others would agree
with that?

Cheers John

--
John Bennett johndotbennettatsmartemaildotcodotuk
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Gareth Magennis wrote:

I used to have a WM-DC. It was a nice machine in the 1980's.

This, I reckon, would beat it hands down on every technical, audio, and
practical aspect imaginable, but I guess that's not the point.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H1-Portab.../dp/B003QKBVYK

Maybe.
But if you took a Zoom and a D6 and put each one in a plastic bag and
ran them through the washing machine, I bet the D6 will last longer than
the Zoom. It didn't sound very good, but it worked in places where
nothing
else did.

The TCD-D3 will probably fail before you can get it into the bag, though.

I bought one of these for my girlfriend about 2 years ago.
She put it in the washing machine, and it is still working perfectly!

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...d=0CJUBEPMCMAE

My WM-D6C, unfortunately, was stolen.
I hope the thief inadvertently put it in the washing machine.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"John Bennett" wrote in message
b.com...
[...]

I used Sony minidisk recorders for collecting interviews and ambient audio
in the field in connection with both scripted and documentary video
productions. I was always pretty impressed with the sound quality. And
surprised by how rugged the little buggers were compared to their flimsy
look and feel. Where radio mics were impractical and no chance of a boom
they worked great.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue 29 May 2012, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

production sound on surf movies. --scott

A happy ending! I found someone with the soldering skills, the chip has
been replaced and the Walkman is working properly again.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions posted!

Cheers John

--
John Bennett johndotbennettatsmartemaildotcodotuk

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] matteomarcio@gmail.com is offline

http://sportsbil.com/sony/WM/WM-D6C_...ual%201984.pdf

Sony Walkman Jenn Audio Opinions 2 July 2nd 07 09:35 PM
FA: Sony Walkman Sony CD/MP3 Walkman D-NE511/S Mike Hall Marketplace 0 January 2nd 04 12:18 PM
FA: Sony DAT Walkman TCD-D8 Brian McWilliams Pro Audio 0 September 1st 03 08:24 PM
FA: Sony DAT Walkman TCD-D8 Brian McWilliams Marketplace 0 September 1st 03 08:24 PM
Walkman WM-D6C worth repairing? dany Tech 0 July 13th 03 09:25 PM