Posted to rec.audio.tech
waxinwaxout waxinwaxout is offline

Default Amplifier Speakerwire plastic connectors

I have a Harmon Kardon amplifier with connections for speakers on the
back. These connections are (red & black) round plastic disks with a
hole on the side where the speakerwire is inserted.

Does anybody know how to replace one of these plastic disks? On both
my speaker sets (1 & 2), the first (red) plastic disk has broken off.
The disks rotate (obviously to loosen or fasten the speakerwire) but
don't come off completely. Do I have to open the amplifier to remove
them?

Thanks,

Miyagi

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"waxinwaxout" wrote ...
I have a Harmon Kardon amplifier with connections for speakers on the
back. These connections are (red & black) round plastic disks with a
hole on the side where the speakerwire is inserted.

Does anybody know how to replace one of these plastic disks? On both
my speaker sets (1 & 2), the first (red) plastic disk has broken off.
The disks rotate (obviously to loosen or fasten the speakerwire) but
don't come off completely. Do I have to open the amplifier to remove
them?

Almost certainly it can be replaced only by unscrewing it from the
inside and replacing with a good piece. Sounds like maybe you
are trying to describe a "banana jack"? Is this what you are asking
about?.... http://www.leda.com.sg/DSCF0014.jpg

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:

"waxinwaxout" wrote ...
I have a Harmon Kardon amplifier with connections for speakers on the
back. These connections are (red & black) round plastic disks with a
hole on the side where the speakerwire is inserted.

Does anybody know how to replace one of these plastic disks? On both
my speaker sets (1 & 2), the first (red) plastic disk has broken off.
The disks rotate (obviously to loosen or fasten the speakerwire) but
don't come off completely. Do I have to open the amplifier to remove
them?

Almost certainly it can be replaced only by unscrewing it from the
inside and replacing with a good piece. Sounds like maybe you
are trying to describe a "banana jack"? Is this what you are asking
about?.... http://www.leda.com.sg/DSCF0014.jpg

LOL @ 'banana jack' !

'Binding post (terminal)' is what I'd expect to see it called more usually.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Manuel Marino Manuel Marino is offline

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 03:08:30 -0700, waxinwaxout
wrote:

I have a Harmon Kardon amplifier with connections for speakers on the
back. These connections are (red & black) round plastic disks with a
hole on the side where the speakerwire is inserted.

Does anybody know how to replace one of these plastic disks? On both
my speaker sets (1 & 2), the first (red) plastic disk has broken off.
The disks rotate (obviously to loosen or fasten the speakerwire) but
don't come off completely. Do I have to open the amplifier to remove
them?

Thanks,

Miyagi

It's not an easy task, I suggest you to ask to a qualified technician
before doing anything.

Those amplifiers are really fine.

--
Manuel Marino

My Weblog / Music, Arts, People, Ideas
http://www.manuelmarino.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
waxinwaxout waxinwaxout is offline

On Oct 18, 7:01 pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"waxinwaxout" wrote ...

I have a Harmon Kardon amplifier with connections for speakers on the
back. These connections are (red & black) round plastic disks with a
hole on the side where the speakerwire is inserted.

Does anybody know how to replace one of these plastic disks? On both
my speaker sets (1 & 2), the first (red) plastic disk has broken off.
The disks rotate (obviously to loosen or fasten the speakerwire) but
don't come off completely. Do I have to open the amplifier to remove
them?

Almost certainly it can be replaced only by unscrewing it from the
inside and replacing with a good piece. Sounds like maybe you
are trying to describe a "banana jack"? Is this what you are asking
about?....http://www.leda.com.sg/DSCF0014.jpg

Almost. That picture looks a lot like what I have on my speakers.

The amp has nearly similar connectors. The 'screw' where the plastic
disks are screwing around is however much thinner (just a very thin
screw).

I've opened up the amp and on the inside there's a PCB screwed on the
inner backside (with it's surface) facing the connectors. Parallel to
the PCB (inbetween the PCB and the inner backside) is a plastic
surface with shafts sticking outside on the back (where the connectors
are located). The shafts have two openings on the sides (where the
speakerwire is normally inserted).

The picture of those 'banana jacks' shows a hinge-like metal. My
connectors also have something like that hinge. The hinge is soldered
on the PCB preventing me from removing the PCB from the plastic
surface.

I can however see the other end of the screw. I'd expect some trick to
remove the screwcap after which I could swap one of the plastic disks
which is not in use for one of the broken ones.

I hope my description makes some sense.

Thanks,

Miyagi

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"waxinwaxout" wrote ...
The amp has nearly similar connectors. The 'screw' where the plastic
disks are screwing around is however much thinner (just a very thin
screw).

I've opened up the amp and on the inside there's a PCB screwed on the
inner backside (with it's surface) facing the connectors. Parallel to
the PCB (inbetween the PCB and the inner backside) is a plastic
surface with shafts sticking outside on the back (where the connectors
are located). The shafts have two openings on the sides (where the
speakerwire is normally inserted).

Repairing or replacing the connector will require some
experience with working on PC-boards. It will also
require locating replacement part(s). Either way, it
sounds like it may be something that you need to take
to an expert. I would not recommend trying to repair it
yourself.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:

"waxinwaxout" wrote ...
The amp has nearly similar connectors. The 'screw' where the plastic
disks are screwing around is however much thinner (just a very thin
screw).

I've opened up the amp and on the inside there's a PCB screwed on the
inner backside (with it's surface) facing the connectors. Parallel to
the PCB (inbetween the PCB and the inner backside) is a plastic
surface with shafts sticking outside on the back (where the connectors
are located). The shafts have two openings on the sides (where the
speakerwire is normally inserted).

Repairing or replacing the connector will require some
experience with working on PC-boards. It will also
require locating replacement part(s). Either way, it
sounds like it may be something that you need to take
to an expert. I would not recommend trying to repair it
yourself.

Sensible advice.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
waxinwaxout waxinwaxout is offline

On Oct 19, 12:55 pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"waxinwaxout" wrote ...

The amp has nearly similar connectors. The 'screw' where the plastic
disks are screwing around is however much thinner (just a very thin
screw).

I've opened up the amp and on the inside there's a PCB screwed on the
inner backside (with it's surface) facing the connectors. Parallel to
the PCB (inbetween the PCB and the inner backside) is a plastic
surface with shafts sticking outside on the back (where the connectors
are located). The shafts have two openings on the sides (where the
speakerwire is normally inserted).

Repairing or replacing the connector will require some
experience with working on PC-boards. It will also
require locating replacement part(s). Either way, it
sounds like it may be something that you need to take
to an expert. I would not recommend trying to repair it
yourself.

You can lead a horse to water...

I've had a bit of luck. It became evident that removing the PCB would
require removing soldering on 8 locations. I figured that the broken
plastics could be replaced with one of the functioning plastic disks.
There's connections for two speaker sets and I only require one.

The luck came from one of the black plastic disks which had nearly
fallen off as well. Apparently, the disks are mounted on the screw
head (wonder how they got that mounted in the first place). The
plastic sort-of wraps around the screw head. 3 quarters of the plastic
'wrap' was broken but about 1 quarter of the wrap was still intact
allowing me to remove the disk. Because of the opening on the sides of
shaft (where the speaker wire inserts), I was able to get the disk
back on the screw head of one of the broken connectors. By itself it
falls off, but screwing it in somewhat allows it to remain in the
shaft.

It's not as strong as it used to be, but it allows the speaker wire to
fasten on the connector. So now I have one full set (I) of speaker
connectors and two broken connections on speaker set II.

I also seem to notice how these things break in the first place. I
think I previously fastened these disks with a part of the speaker
wire plastic clamped as well. This causes an uneven amount of pressure/
strain on one section/quadrant of the disk. It's probably better if
the copper wraps around the screw thereby distributing strain over the
entire disk (instead of just on the end where the wire inserts). The
plastic around the speaker wire should terminate before the
circumference of the disk.

Is this making any sense? Oh well, I'm going to attach the speakers
now.

Thanks a lot,

Miyagi

Posted to rec.audio.tech
waxinwaxout waxinwaxout is offline

It's working! I'm currently listening to an old analog tape (I've got
this Harman Kardon tape deck as well).

I have to say that my speaker wires are very thick. Most speaker wires
look like telephone wires while these seem to be at least 5 times
thicker. They're labelled 'Supra 2.5 Made in Sweden'.

Sound is much better than my computer speakers ;-)

Thanks everybody,

Miyagi

Plastic Bobbins west Vacuum Tubes 26 January 11th 07 01:53 PM
Will That Be Paper or Plastic? [email protected] Audio Opinions 95 March 11th 06 05:31 AM
Rattling plastic in my econobox John Opezdol Car Audio 0 February 17th 04 01:14 AM
Why is the AR XA headshell made of plastic? Nicole Kidman Audio Opinions 3 July 17th 03 11:06 PM
WTB: Alesis BRC plastic end blocks Darrell Klein Marketplace 0 July 16th 03 05:48 PM