Customer of Plusnet

Default Role Of The Mixing Desk

Hi everyone

This may seem totally obvious to all you Pros, but not to me, -an 18 year
old with a fast developing interest in music technology.

Somebody asked me this question 'What is the main purpose of a mixing desk
in a studio'? ...Now whilst I've used many desks in many different setups,
I could not for one minute think how to apply all my experience and
translate my knowledge of its role into english! It left me stumped and
looking like a total twit...I want to be readily prepared if somebody ever
asks me that again!

So the question I put to you lot is, how can one define this role in plain,
simple terms? "What is the main purpose of a mixing desk in a studio?"

Help solve the mystery!!!!

Matt

Customer of Plusnet

Hi!

Kind of simple when it's written down like that isn't it?!
http://www.music.ox.ac.uk/studio/mixdesk2.htm

Michael R. Kesti

Customer of Plusnet wrote:

So the question I put to you lot is, how can one define this role in plain,
simple terms? "What is the main purpose of a mixing desk in a studio?"

The main purpose of an audio recording studio's mising desk is to mix audio
signals.

| two, one and one make one."
| - The Who, Bargain
ScotFraser

The main purpose of an audio recording studio's mixing desk is to mix audio
signals.

That's but one of its purposes. I think the more salient aspect of the desks
role is as the central audio signal routing device, including the patchbay as a
functional element of the mixing desk.

Scott Fraser

xy

The main idea is to create thousands of parts that will eventually
need cleaning and servicing. If my memory serves me correct,
Focusrite had this huge console in NYC, enormous. It sounded great
and had zillions of illuminated push-buttons. The bulbs in that mixer
would go out all the time, and take away from the pinball machine
razzle dazzle. Then they would have to be replaced. Perfect!

That's the main idea, actually. To keep repair techs in business. I
believe manufacturers have gotten better at keeping corrosion and dust
away, but that's really spoiling the fun.

So the question I put to you lot is, how can one define this role in plain,
simple terms? "What is the main purpose of a mixing desk in a studio?"

Help solve the mystery!!!!

Matt

Ricky W. Hunt

As far as impressing clients I remember seeing a post a while back (with a
picture even) where a guy used a DAW but built a big fake desk just to
impress clients. He said clients that heard his work loved it and would hire
him but were turned off when they showed up to his place and saw he was
doing it on just a small computer. Go figure.

"ScotFraser" wrote in message
The main purpose of an audio recording studio's mixing desk is to mix

audio
signals.

That's but one of its purposes. I think the more salient aspect of the

desks
role is as the central audio signal routing device, including the patchbay

as a
functional element of the mixing desk.

Scott Fraser

John Washburn

"Customer of Plusnet" wrote:

So the question I put to you lot is, how can one define this role in

plain,
simple terms? "What is the main purpose of a mixing desk in a studio?"

Help solve the mystery!!!!

To mix and route audio signals...

-jw

Brian Takei

5016 ) wrote:

I'm not sure that people will be using hardware controllers a few
years from now. At first, I couldn't get on using a mouse after moving
from an analog console, but since then I have found that using a
mouse/keyboard has a lot of advantages as well as disadvantages. The
disadvantages were all I could see at first.

It may be that hardware controllers are simply there to facilitate
transition by people who are moving from analog environments, and that
over time people will end up using nothing but the computer (apart
from the front end).

I think it's a fundamental mistake to think that mice, keyboards, and
other "hardware controllers" are not part of "the computer".

Personally, as far as interface/controller issues go, I think I might be
indefinitely satisfied with a reliable DAW system that intelligently
integrated itself with a multi-button mouse with a HIGH-resolution wheel
(and/or knob(s) on the keyboard), and ample screen real estate.

But if price were no consideration, I wouldn't limit myself to just
mouse and keyboard control. Especially if I could go to 11.

- Brian

Ron Capik

"Paul J. White" wrote:

Don't forget that they are also good for holding up a cup of coffee or
a pizza box.

My cat likes to sleep on my board... He also pushes buttons and moves
the faders. Hmmmmm, maybe he has some studio potential...

Ron Capik
--
...snips..