Posted to rec.audio.tech
RichardSC RichardSC is offline

Default Am antenna for a Bose Wave II

I own a Bose Wave Radio II. It includes a port for an FM antenna, but
no port for an AM antenna. If I open it up will I find a reasonable
contact point for adding an auxiliary AM antenna that I will install
in my attic?
Richard

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 24 Feb 2007 10:03:34 -0800, "RichardSC" wrote:

I own a Bose Wave Radio II. It includes a port for an FM antenna, but
no port for an AM antenna. If I open it up will I find a reasonable
contact point for adding an auxiliary AM antenna that I will install
in my attic?
Richard

Please don't open it up :-) You'll see just what you paid all that
money for, and get all upset.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 18:07:39 +0000, Laurence Payne
lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote:

On 24 Feb 2007 10:03:34 -0800, "RichardSC" wrote:

I own a Bose Wave Radio II. It includes a port for an FM antenna, but
no port for an AM antenna. If I open it up will I find a reasonable
contact point for adding an auxiliary AM antenna that I will install
in my attic?
Richard

Please don't open it up :-) You'll see just what you paid all that
money for, and get all upset.

Also it will make louder noises, and that just can't be good. Quieter
is always better with Bose (without limit).

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

"RichardSC" wrote in message
ups.com...
I own a Bose Wave Radio II. It includes a port for an FM antenna, but
no port for an AM antenna. If I open it up will I find a reasonable
contact point for adding an auxiliary AM antenna that I will install
in my attic?
Richard

I am not familiar with the specifics of the Bose unit, but generally, AM
sections use a ferrite rod antenna. This will have typically one or two sets
of windings, for medium and long waves. There isn't generally anywhere to
attach an external antenna without the serious risk of detuning the front
end with the effect that at best the tuning scale will be seriously wrong,
and at worse just won't work.

I have read advice that the best way to adapt a ferrite rod antenna is to
put a small winding of, say, five turns of insulated hook-up cable round the
ferrite rod, somewhere convenient, and take the ends of this winding to a
socket on the back of the box. Ground one side, and take the other side to a
long-wire antenna, or, take both sides to a loop antenna. The loop antenna
has the "benefit" of being directional, and that's also its disadvantage. A
long wire is substantially omnidirectional, but needs a lot of space. 5
turns shouldn't detune the front end to any great extent. Once you have it
working, you can try putting on more turns and see what happens. More turns
should give you more signal strength, but at the expense of detuning the
tuning scale.

A good guide to making a loop antenna (or Aerial this side of the pond) is
http://www.arar93.dsl.pipex.com/mds9.../aerials1.html

Good luck

S.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"RichardSC" wrote ...
I own a Bose Wave Radio II. It includes a port for an FM antenna, but
no port for an AM antenna. If I open it up will I find a reasonable
contact point for adding an auxiliary AM antenna that I will install
in my attic?

Not likely. The common (and safe) way to do this is to
inductively couple to the (likely) internal ferrite rod
antenna. There are commercial products to do this....
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-antennas/index.aspx
or you can find lots of resources online to DIY. Look for
the "DX" (radio term for "distance") websites, etc.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
RichardSC RichardSC is offline

On Feb 24, 11:07 am, Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom
wrote:
On 24 Feb 2007 10:03:34 -0800, "RichardSC" wrote:

I own a Bose Wave Radio II. It includes a port for an FM antenna, but
no port for an AM antenna. If I open it up will I find a reasonable
contact point for adding an auxiliary AM antenna that I will install
in my attic?
Richard

Please don't open it up :-) You'll see just what you paid all that
money for, and get all upset.

Laurence, I tend to shy away from looking gift horses in the mouth.
Regards,
Richard

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Karl Uppiano Karl Uppiano is offline

Thought I saw a note im my manual about it using the AC pwr cord, but
that might have been for FM.

I don't think "AM antenna" and "power cord" are compatible. Too much static.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 10:44:54 -0800, Richard Crowley wrote:

"RichardSC" wrote ...
I own a Bose Wave Radio II. It includes a port for an FM antenna, but
no port for an AM antenna. If I open it up will I find a reasonable
contact point for adding an auxiliary AM antenna that I will install
in my attic?

Not likely. The common (and safe) way to do this is to
inductively couple to the (likely) internal ferrite rod

too bad none of them actually work better than nothing.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Barry Mann Barry Mann is offline

Inexpensive AM radios (and, unfortunately, this is just about any AM
function that is associated with a current HiFi product) usually have a
very poor dynamic range for RF signals. Supplying more signal may
result in a mess of stations and interference.

I don't have any product suggestions for you, but look for a tunable
inductively coupled antenna. The tuning feature of the antenna will
limit the amount of off station energy and help keep the tuner from
embarrassing itself by choking on the extra signal strength.

spam:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"AZ Nomad" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
"RichardSC" wrote ...
I own a Bose Wave Radio II. It includes a port for an FM antenna,
but
no port for an AM antenna. If I open it up will I find a reasonable
contact point for adding an auxiliary AM antenna that I will install
in my attic?

Not likely. The common (and safe) way to do this is to
inductively couple to the (likely) internal ferrite rod

too bad none of them actually work better than nothing.

I've done it with a DIY loop and it was fantastic.