Spirit

Default Questions on basic wirjing setup

Greetings,

I'm looking for advice on wiring my entertainment center with a 4 in 1
A/V switch so that all my audio comes out through my stereo. I set
thwis up once but re-arranged the living room and now can't seem to get
to wired correctly.

Currently all my video and audio from my game console, dvd player, and
vcr all come out through the television. The only thing that I can get
through my stereo receiver is my normal television audio output.

Here is how my setup currently is:

TV connecting to main connection on the A/V switch. DVD Player is
connected to switch one, VCR to switch three and my game console is
attached to switch four.

I have audio cables connected to switch 2 but they currently lead to
nowhere.

My stereo connection is from aux in to TV out.

My cable box out is connected to the VCR in and the VCR out is connected
to the Antenna outlet on the TV.

Any advice is appreciated.

-S
John.w

Spirit wrote in message news:cx%9c.127091$Cb.1458522@attbi_s51...
Greetings,

I'm looking for advice on wiring my entertainment center with a 4 in 1
A/V switch so that all my audio comes out through my stereo. I set
thwis up once but re-arranged the living room and now can't seem to get
to wired correctly.

Using a standard interconnect (2xPHONO-2xPHONO) cable, connect one end
to the vcr's phono outputs and the other end to the amp's aux inputs
or your midi/micro systems aux inputs.
This should allow your tv/vcr/dvd/console's outputs to play through
your stereo's speakers.

sodderboy

I will make two assumptions he
1. the tv has one RF input, one A/V input, and one stereo audio out
2. three leads are connected between the switcher and the TV- video,
audio L, and audio R.

Your connections as described are proper.
I think that all you need to do is to switch the TV from "ANT" to
"LINE" to get the output of the A/V switcher going to the TV screen
and audio to the receiver. Usually there is an input select in the
video section of the TV setup. My set has "ANT", "L1", and "L2"
So to watch/listen to TV channels or the VCR the switcher need no be
involved- you stay on "ANT" or equivalent and signals come in through
the RF input of the TV. DVD and Game are watched/listened through the
switcher and your "LINE" or equivalent input of the TV.

cheers!

Gary A. Edelstein

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:19:20 GMT, Spirit
wrote:

[...]

You imply you can see the video and get sound via the TV speakers for
your sources coming through the switch box, but can't get audio for
those sources from the stereo/receiver. That tells me you likely
didn't hook up the TV audio out correctly. Make sure you hooked up
the L/R analog audio OUT (red and white plugs) from the TV to the
stereo/receiver aux audio in. Then, switch in the aux vid source
input on the TV with the TV remote.

Normally, I'd recommend hooking up the switch box audio out directly
to your stereo/receiver, then using another input on your switch box
or receiver for your TV, but you apparently prefer the option of going
through the TV. If the stereo/receiver doesn't have a remote, and you
can control the volume from the TV audio outs (variable output) with
the TV remote, then there is something to be said about going through
the TV, but in that situation it's often necessary to mute the TV
speakers in the TV setup menu because they will be too loud.

So, here are the 2 hookups. I'll assume your cable box doesn't have
A/V outs and you don't mind taping the program that's on only the
cable box and not having the ability to watch a different program
while taping. If not, post back and I'll modify this. First, what
I'd recommend:

- Cable box: RF out to VCR RF in.

- VCR: RF out to TV antenna in. L/R analog audio outs to switch box
input. Composite vid out to corresponding switch box vid in.

- DVD and game console: L/R analog audio outs to switch box input.
Composite vid out to corresponding switch box vid in.

- Switch box: L/R analog audio out to stereo/receiver line level or
aux audio in. Composite vid out to TV aux vid in.

- TV: (Optional) L/R analog audio out to spare switch box input.

Or, going through the TV:

- Cable box, VCR, DVD and game console as above.

- Switch box: L/R analog audio out to TV line level aux audio in.
Composite vid out to TV corresponding aux vid in.

- TV: L/R analog audio out to stereo/receiver line level or aux audio
in. You will probably need to mute the TV speakers when using the
receiver/stereo.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Gary A. Edelstein

wrote:

> [...]

Composite vid out to corresponding switch box vid in.

- Switch box: L/R analog audio out to stereo/receiver line level or
aux audio in. Composite vid out to TV aux vid in.

- TV: (Optional) L/R analog audio out to spare switch box input.

Or, going through the TV:

- Cable box, VCR, DVD and game console as above.

- Switch box: L/R analog audio out to TV line level aux audio in.
Composite vid out to TV corresponding aux vid in.

- TV: L/R analog audio out to stereo/receiver line level or aux audio
in. You will probably need to mute the TV speakers when using the
receiver/stereo.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Gary A. Edelstein

wrote:

> [...]

Composite vid out to corresponding switch box vid in.

- Switch box: L/R analog audio out to stereo/receiver line level or
aux audio in. Composite vid out to TV aux vid in.

- TV: (Optional) L/R analog audio out to spare switch box input.

Or, going through the TV:

- Cable box, VCR, DVD and game console as above.

- Switch box: L/R analog audio out to TV line level aux audio in.
Composite vid out to TV corresponding aux vid in.

- TV: L/R analog audio out to stereo/receiver line level or aux audio
in. You will probably need to mute the TV speakers when using the
receiver/stereo.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

Gary A. Edelstein

wrote:

> [...]

Composite vid out to corresponding switch box vid in.

- Switch box: L/R analog audio out to stereo/receiver line level or
aux audio in. Composite vid out to TV aux vid in.

- TV: (Optional) L/R analog audio out to spare switch box input.

Or, going through the TV:

- Cable box, VCR, DVD and game console as above.

- Switch box: L/R analog audio out to TV line level aux audio in.
Composite vid out to TV corresponding aux vid in.

- TV: L/R analog audio out to stereo/receiver line level or aux audio
in. You will probably need to mute the TV speakers when using the
receiver/stereo.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Spirit

wrote:

> [...]

Composite vid out to corresponding switch box vid in.

- Switch box: L/R analog audio out to stereo/receiver line level or
aux audio in. Composite vid out to TV aux vid in.

- TV: (Optional) L/R analog audio out to spare switch box input.

Or, going through the TV:

- Cable box, VCR, DVD and game console as above.

- Switch box: L/R analog audio out to TV line level aux audio in.
Composite vid out to TV corresponding aux vid in.

- TV: L/R analog audio out to stereo/receiver line level or aux audio
in. You will probably need to mute the TV speakers when using the
receiver/stereo.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

Thank you for the responses.

I believe I have the setup Gary describes but just to be safe, let me
explain what I have.

Cable - RF out to VCR RF in
VCR - RF Out to TV Antenna
DVD/Console/ analog audio and video out to switch box analog audio and
video in
Switch Box - Analog Audio and Video out to TV analog audio and video in
TV - Analog audio out to Aux in on Stereo

With this setup I get TV output through the stereo. When I switch to
another device I get TV audio through the stereo but the selected device
output will come through the TV.

I thought the setup to explained would do the job but it isn't.

Any other thoughts?

-S
Spirit

wrote:

> [...]

--
|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

Thank you for the responses.

I believe I have the setup Gary describes but just to be safe, let me
explain what I have.

Cable - RF out to VCR RF in
VCR - RF Out to TV Antenna
DVD/Console/ analog audio and video out to switch box analog audio and
video in
Switch Box - Analog Audio and Video out to TV analog audio and video in
TV - Analog audio out to Aux in on Stereo

With this setup I get TV output through the stereo. When I switch to
another device I get TV audio through the stereo but the selected device
output will come through the TV.

I thought the setup to explained would do the job but it isn't.

Spirit

wrote:

> [...]

--
|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

Thank you for the responses.

I believe I have the setup Gary describes but just to be safe, let me
explain what I have.

Cable - RF out to VCR RF in
VCR - RF Out to TV Antenna
DVD/Console/ analog audio and video out to switch box analog audio and
video in
Switch Box - Analog Audio and Video out to TV analog audio and video in
TV - Analog audio out to Aux in on Stereo

With this setup I get TV output through the stereo. When I switch to
another device I get TV audio through the stereo but the selected device
output will come through the TV.

I thought the setup to explained would do the job but it isn't.

Spirit

wrote:

> [...]

--
|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

Thank you for the responses.

I believe I have the setup Gary describes but just to be safe, let me
explain what I have.

Cable - RF out to VCR RF in
VCR - RF Out to TV Antenna
DVD/Console/ analog audio and video out to switch box analog audio and
video in
Switch Box - Analog Audio and Video out to TV analog audio and video in
TV - Analog audio out to Aux in on Stereo

With this setup I get TV output through the stereo. When I switch to
another device I get TV audio through the stereo but the selected device
output will come through the TV.

I thought the setup to explained would do the job but it isn't.

Gary A. Edelstein

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 00:38:35 GMT, Spirit
wrote:

Thank you for the responses.

I believe I have the setup Gary describes but just to be safe, let me
explain what I have.

Cable - RF out to VCR RF in
VCR - RF Out to TV Antenna
DVD/Console/ analog audio and video out to switch box analog audio and
video in
Switch Box - Analog Audio and Video out to TV analog audio and video in
TV - Analog audio out to Aux in on Stereo

With this setup I get TV output through the stereo. When I switch to
another device I get TV audio through the stereo but the selected device
output will come through the TV.

I thought the setup to explained would do the job but it isn't.

Any other thoughts?

Check your TV manual and setup menu. It could be the TV audio outs
are only passing audio from the TV tuner and won't pass the audio from
the aux in. Perhaps the TV is only capable of doing that or needs to
be modified in the menu to pass audio from the aux in.

If the TV will only pass the TV tuner audio, then set up as I
recommended with the switch box audio out going directly to the
stereo/receiver.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Gary A. Edelstein

wrote:

Thank you for the responses.

I believe I have the setup Gary describes but just to be safe, let me
explain what I have.

Cable - RF out to VCR RF in
VCR - RF Out to TV Antenna
DVD/Console/ analog audio and video out to switch box analog audio and
video in
Switch Box - Analog Audio and Video out to TV analog audio and video in
TV - Analog audio out to Aux in on Stereo

With this setup I get TV output through the stereo. When I switch to
another device I get TV audio through the stereo but the selected device
output will come through the TV.

I thought the setup to explained would do the job but it isn't.

Any other thoughts?

Check your TV manual and setup menu. It could be the TV audio outs
are only passing audio from the TV tuner and won't pass the audio from
the aux in. Perhaps the TV is only capable of doing that or needs to
be modified in the menu to pass audio from the aux in.

If the TV will only pass the TV tuner audio, then set up as I
recommended with the switch box audio out going directly to the
stereo/receiver.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Gary A. Edelstein

wrote:

Thank you for the responses.

I believe I have the setup Gary describes but just to be safe, let me
explain what I have.

Cable - RF out to VCR RF in
VCR - RF Out to TV Antenna
DVD/Console/ analog audio and video out to switch box analog audio and
video in
Switch Box - Analog Audio and Video out to TV analog audio and video in
TV - Analog audio out to Aux in on Stereo

With this setup I get TV output through the stereo. When I switch to
another device I get TV audio through the stereo but the selected device
output will come through the TV.

I thought the setup to explained would do the job but it isn't.

Any other thoughts?

Check your TV manual and setup menu. It could be the TV audio outs
are only passing audio from the TV tuner and won't pass the audio from
the aux in. Perhaps the TV is only capable of doing that or needs to
be modified in the menu to pass audio from the aux in.

If the TV will only pass the TV tuner audio, then set up as I
recommended with the switch box audio out going directly to the
stereo/receiver.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
(remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Gary A. Edelstein