Chevdo

Default Stereophile still under Randi's radar

THEY’RE STILL ON THE RUN

Do you remember the silly claims of Stereophile Magazine that prompted me to
offer them a million dollars if they could prove any of the trash they were
offering their readers? Well, they’re still hiding under the bed - or under
that huge rock with Sylvia Browne - to avoid meeting the challenge. Just do a
search on the main Swift page for "Stereophile," to refresh your memory on that
brouhaha. Well, now reader John McKillop sends us to
www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/110/index.html to find an article written back in
1987 by J. Gordon Holt, the man who founded Stereophile Magazine in 1962. Holt
apparently had the present management beat for brains. The article is titled,
"L'Affaire Belt," and refers to the ridiculous claims made back then by one
Peter Belt, "inventor" of magical devices that improve everything from
harmonics to hysterics.

I have news: Mr. Belt is still making those silly claims, and is still getting
rich by selling garbage to naïve audiophiles. We must wonder, as reader
McKillop does, whether Art Dudley - a willingly flummoxed reviewer for
Stereophile - and/or John Atkinson, present editor of the magazine - ever read
this discussion by their founder, of the hilarious Peter Belt pretensions. Go
there and see a thoughtful, well-reasoned, article that handles honestly what
the present Stereophile management has chosen to igno blatant fakery, fraud,
and swindling in the audio business. I’ll quote a pertinent section from the
18-year-old article here that should - but won’t - seriously embarrass Atkinson
and Dudley. Holt recognized reality, and wasn’t reluctant to share it with his
readers. Unfortunately, he sold the magazine in 1982, and the woo-woos
immediately took over. Here’s the 1987 excerpt:

For self-styled golden ears to be claiming, and trying, to be "objective" is to
deny reality, because perception is not like instrumentation. Everything we
perceive is filtered through a judgmental process which embodies all of our
previous related experiences, and the resulting judgment is as much beyond
conscious control as a preference for chocolate over vanilla. We cannot will
ourselves to feel what we do not feel. Thus, when perceptions are so indistinct
as to be wide open to interpretation, we will tend to perceive what we want to
perceive or expect to perceive or have been told that we should perceive. This,
I believe, explains the reports that Peter Belt's devices work as claimed.

Perhaps what bothers me so much about the Belt affair is the alacrity with
which supposedly rational, technically savvy individuals have accepted, on the
basis of subjective observation alone, something which all their scientific and
journalistic background should tell them warrants a great deal of skepticism.
But then, perhaps I shouldn't be that surprised.

Despite heroic efforts to educate our population, the US (and, apparently, the
UK) has been graduating scientific illiterates for more than 40 years. And
where knowledge ends, superstition begins. Without any concepts of how
scientific knowledge is gleaned from intuition, hypothesis, and meticulous
investigation, or what it accepts today as truth, anything is possible. Without
the anchor of science, we are free to drift from one idea to another, accepting
or "keeping an open mind about" as many outrageous tenets as did the
"superstitious natives" we used to scorn 50 years ago. (We still do, but it's
unfashionable to admit it.) Many of our beliefs are based on nothing more than
a very questionable personal conviction that, because something should be true,
then it must be. (Traditional religion is the best example of this.) The notion
that a belief should have at least some objective support is scorned as being
"closed-minded," which has become a new epithet. In order to avoid that dread
appellation, we are expected to pretend to be open to the possibility that
today's flight of technofantasy may prove to be tomorrow's truth, no matter how
unlikely. Well, I don't buy that.

Nor do we, Mr. Holt, but the suckers still buy the garbage... I am seldom
presented with such a succinct, powerful, and to-the-point summary of what we
at the JREF battle, every day. Our very own Kramer, who handles the claims for
the JREF prize, has sterling expertise and experience in the audio field, as
well; regarding the Stereophile matter, he offers this comment:

As a recording engineer and producer of some notoriety, I am always shocked to
see the level of gullibility among those allegedly trained in the Recording
Arts and Sciences, where people who call themselves "professionals" willingly
jettison all reason (along with everything they have learned about the physics
of sound) in blind submission to these preposterous audio pseudo-products, the
belief in which I can only compare to the belief in the miraculous, more akin
to crying statues, bleeding icons, and flying carpets than to anything in the
world of reason. It is the stuff of pure fiction, and worse (the word "fraud"
comes to mind), and the support of these products renders any publication that
champions their efficacy a permanent laughing stock, which is precisely what
Stereophile Magazine has become.

William Sommerwerck

Do you remember the silly claims of Stereophile Magazine that prompted me
to offer them a million dollars if they could prove any of the trash they

were
offering their readers? Well, they're still hiding under the bed -- or

under
that huge rock with Sylvia Browne -- to avoid meeting the challenge.

The reason they'll never do it is because John Atkinson, et al., believe
that careful and thoughtful listening -- even without controls -- is valid.
This isn't my opinion or interpretation -- he told me so 20 years ago, and I
know he sincerely felt so.

(This occurred on the first occasion of my using bypass testing to evaluate
a number of surround decoders. Though I could plainly hear differences among
the DUTs, I felt uncomfortable. I wanted someone else to give a listen, to
confirm or deny my conclusions. John asked me if I had listened carefully,
for extended periods, etc, etc, which I had. He concluded that I had no
reason to disbelieve my conclusions.)

The fundamental issue is... "How do we _know_ that what we think we hear is
what we really hear?" Or to put it more practically and less
philosophically, "How to we know that apparent differences in sound truly
correlate to physical and measurable differences in the DUTs?".

This question has never been answered. Simply _attempting_ to answer it
would consume a huge amount of work, time, and money. It's doable, but
difficult. Unfortunately, people like John Atkinson and Arny Krueger think
it quite unnecessary.

I don't. There is a big difference between knowing and understanding. I want
to _understand_ what's going on.

SSJVCmag

Default Amazing Stories (was misplaced rao post: Stereophile still underRandi's radar)

On 10/22/05 4:30 AM, in article CMm6f.54325$ir4.37266@edtnps90, "Chevdo"
wrote:

As a recording engineer and producer of some notoriety, I am always shocked to
see the level of gullibility among those allegedly trained in the Recording
Arts and Sciences,

Piddly stufff.. WAY better in the same article is

Much more great reading there too over at

http://www.randi.org/jr/200510/102105herbs.html#6

MUCH more entertaining is the following:
QUACKERY THROUGH THE AGES

There was an excellent article recently by Robert Gelfand, an American
Reporter correspondent of San Pedro, California, about Gaetano Donizetti¹s
opera ³L'Elisir D'Amore² (The Elixir of Love") composed in 1832. In the
story, this magic elixir * suspiciously similar to a very mediocre red wine
* is peddled by ³Doctor² Dulcamara to villagers who appear as naïve as
parallel populaces of today. Two excerpts from the lyrics indicate that the
quack-medicine picture hasn¹t changed much in more than 170 years:

This huckleberry syrup
Will positively clear up
The mumps, the hives, and whooping cough in less than over night.
You ladies of maturer years would like your youth recaptured?
Apply this cream at night, my dears, your mates will be enraptured!
What misses under twenty would like a peach complexion?
What lads with prudish sweethearts, would win their quick affection?

It kills the worst rheumatic pain
Relieves a cough and muscle strain;
No matter what your trouble is, it makes you feel like new.
Though this may seem a paradox
It also cures the chickenpox.
It makes hysteric girls serene
Makes thin men fat, and fat men lean.

More gooder still is The Amazing Randi's grand stuff nailing all the
Incredulous Design folks and other whacko things that are currently the
rage.

This sound scam stuff is dandy (and is meat-and-potatoes of rams of text in
rao, but not here thank the maker) but the only important part worth the
timeis the quote

"Despite heroic efforts to educate our population, the US (and, apparently,
the UK) has been graduating scientific illiterates for more than 40 years.
And where knowledge ends, superstition begins. Without any concepts of how
scientific knowledge is gleaned from intuition, hypothesis, and meticulous
investigation, or what it accepts today as truth, anything is possible.
Without the anchor of science, we are free to drift from one idea to
another, accepting or "keeping an open mind about" as many outrageous tenets
as did the "superstitious natives" we used to scorn 50 years ago. (We still
do, but it's unfashionable to admit it.) "

Chevdo

In article ,
says...

wrote:

As a recording engineer and producer of some notoriety, I am always shocked

see the level of gullibility among those allegedly trained in the Recording
Arts and Sciences,

Piddly stufff.. WAY better in the same article is

off topic, moron

and the piddly stuff is in your Depends.

[...]

Chevdo quoted the Amazing Randi as saying
"Do you remember the silly claims of Stereophile Magazine that
prompted me to offer them a million dollars if they could prove
any of the trash they were offering their readers?"

Randi writes so glibly, that it seems almost churlish for me to point
out that he didn't actually invite "Stereophile Magazine" to take
part in his million-dollar challenge. I was also amused to see that
above the caption "Stereophile Magazine back when it was a dependable
source of audio information" at
http://www.randi.org/jr/200510/102105herbs.html
is a picture of the front cover of our current issue!

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

hank alrich

Chevdo wrote:

a bunch of crap that has less than nothing to do with this forum's
intended focus.

--
ha

Chevdo wrote:
In article .com,
says...
Chevdo quoted the Amazing Randi as saying
"Do you remember the silly claims of Stereophile Magazine that
prompted me to offer them a million dollars if they could prove
any of the trash they were offering their readers?"

Randi writes so glibly, that it seems almost churlish for me to
point out that he didn't actually invite "Stereophile Magazine"
to take part in his million-dollar challenge.

Well his commentary on Friday states that he did invite you, but
either way, you surely understand by now that you are invited, right?

What, though Randi hasn't actually invited me to take part in the
challenge, you feel I should rush forward anyway, saying that I
will accept a challenge to take part in a test auditioning products
I haven't heard? A test, BTW, organized by someone who has already
demonstrated his bad faith and antipathy toward me personally on his
website by misrepresenting what I have said and written, fabricating
quotes that were presented as being by me, confusing me with other
reviewers and editors, etc etc? Sure, why not?

Seriously, if you are so sure of Randi's position, tell me when
Stereophile or me has promoted or recommended the Peter Belt
devices that he is dissing in his current diatribe? And consider
this: at the time Gordon Holt wrote the Stereophile article that
Randi and you praise, he worked for me. I commissioned that article
from him. So how can I be the one that Randi castigates?

As others have complained that this thread is not appropriate
for r.a.p., here's an audio question: Is anyone like me irritated
by the USB dongle Bias now requires to be used with Peak 5?

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

PS: "Under the radar" means that the radar hasn't yet detected the
subject. Given Randi's inability to follow normal journalistic
practice of getting his facts correct, I think your usage appropriate
with regard to Stereophile. :-)

Scott Dorsey

In article nZG6f.54985$ir4.16953@edtnps90, Chevdo wrote:

How does Stereophile magazine have nothing to do with "this forum's focus"?
This forum is called rec.audio.pro. A 'stereophile' is someone who takes their
audio listening very seriously, and includes many 'professionals' in the audio
industry.

No, high end audio stuff belongs in rec.audio.high-end and flaming belongs
in rec.audio.opinion. Check out the original CFV when all these groups
split from the monolithic rec.audio.

The reason rec.audio.opinion exists is to keep this trash out of the other
audio groups. Please don't let it leak in here.

Chevdo

In article .com,
says...

What, though Randi hasn't actually invited me to take part in the
challenge, you feel I should rush forward anyway, saying that I
will accept a challenge to take part in a test auditioning products
I haven't heard? A test, BTW, organized by someone who has already
demonstrated his bad faith and antipathy toward me personally on his
website by misrepresenting what I have said and written, fabricating
quotes that were presented as being by me, confusing me with other
reviewers and editors, etc etc? Sure, why not?

Mr. Randi requested that I post this reply to your lies about his challenge to
you:

"If John Atkinson - or anyone at Stereophile Magazine - can show that the
questioned goods they endorsed in the pages of Stereophile actually work as
advertised, Mr. Atkinson, or any other person at Stereophile, or Stereophile
Magazine itself, or ANY OTHER PERSON IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE - including those
who offer the device(s) for sale - can and will win the million-dollar
challenge as offered by the James Randi Educational Foundation at
www.randi.org/research/index.html. As a reading of the rules will clearly
show, such a test of any or all such devices would be designed in full
co-operation with Mr. Atkinson, or any other person at Stereophile, or the
inventors/vendors of the device(s), and any and all such tests would be carried
out by an independent agency agreed to by all concerned. The immediately
foregoing explanatory statement should not have been necessary, but Mr.
Atkinson seems unable to read and understand simple, direct, assertions, so I
have included this for his edification.

I predict that John Atkinson - and all of the inventors/vendors of the
device(s) - will choose to ignore, as always, this attractive offer. This,
because they know full well that the device(s) cannot and would not, pass
simple, direct, definitive, tests - though they easily passed Atkinson’s
scrutiny. They have no refuge but to evade, avoid, and ignore this genuine
offer, backed by a special million-dollar account held by a major investment
firm specifically for this purpose. Proof of this - and of any other -
statements made by me on behalf of the James Randi Educational Foundation - may
be obtained by simply asking.

The gauntlet is down. What is John Atkinson’s response?"

Seriously, if you are so sure of Randi's position, tell me when
Stereophile or me has promoted or recommended the Peter Belt
devices that he is dissing in his current diatribe? And consider
this: at the time Gordon Holt wrote the Stereophile article that
Randi and you praise, he worked for me. I commissioned that article
from him. So how can I be the one that Randi castigates?

I think you just answered your question. Because you comissioned the article.

PS: "Under the radar" means that the radar hasn't yet detected the
subject.

It means the subject keeps squirming away, doesn't it?

Scott Dorsey

In article xQY6f.28447$y_1.6918@edtnps89, Chevdo wrote:

John Atkinson is not expressing 'opinion' in Stereophile when he allows the
publication of articles which claim that magic stones and tice clocks work.
That is a misrepresentation of fact, not opinion. It's also known as fraud.

Well, if you want to do a CFV for rec.audio.fraud, I will be happy to put
in my 'yes' vote for you. Until then, rec.audio.opinion is as close as we
have.
--scott

So, didn't you say you were going away, not too long ago?
hank alrich

Chevdo wrote:

kludge says...

Chevdo wrote:

John Atkinson is not expressing 'opinion' in Stereophile when he allows the
publication of articles which claim that magic stones and tice clocks work.
That is a misrepresentation of fact, not opinion. It's also known as fraud.

Well, if you want to do a CFV for rec.audio.fraud, I will be happy to put
in my 'yes' vote for you. Until then, rec.audio.opinion is as close as we
have.

No, rec.audio.pro is as close as we have.

Not for consumer audio as you so detest in _Stereophile that you must
surely have to read every issue cover to cover to make sure you're
logging the fraud.

BTW, can you reference a _Stereophile_ _article_, not an advertisement,
that touts those magic stones?

--
ha
hank alrich

Chevdo wrote:

Mr. Randi requested that I post this reply to your lies about his challenge to
you:

I'm sure you mother cares deeply and is very proud of you. Now hit RAO
where this is the stuff they do. Were your word worth one issue of
_Stereophile_ you would already be out of here.

--
ha
Chevdo

In article ,
says...

BTW wank. is this you?

http://www.indianvalley.net/music-festival-05.htm

please tell me this acid casualty is you, it would make my day!

Arny Krueger

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
message

The fundamental issue is... "How do we _know_ that what
we think we hear is what we really hear?" Or to put it
more practically and less philosophically, "How to we
know that apparent differences in sound truly correlate
to physical and measurable differences in the DUTs?".

This question has never been answered. Simply
_attempting_ to answer it would consume a huge amount of
work, time, and money. It's doable, but difficult.
Unfortunately, people like John Atkinson and Arny Krueger
think it quite unnecessary.

Illustration of one more reason why Sommerwerck isn't my
press agent - he hasn't a clue about much of what I believe
and think.

To further clarify: I'm quite sure that it is necesary to
know more about "How to we
know that apparent differences in sound truly correlate to
physical and measurable differences in the DUTs?".

Or, as I would state it: We need to know more about how
apparent differences in sound correlate
with physical and measurable differences of the DUT(s).

Arny Krueger

wrote:

How does Stereophile magazine have nothing to do with
"this forum's focus"? This forum is called
rec.audio.pro. A 'stereophile' is someone who takes
their audio listening very seriously, and includes many
'professionals' in the audio industry.

No, high end audio stuff belongs in rec.audio.high-end
and flaming belongs in rec.audio.opinion. Check out the
original CFV when all these groups split from the
monolithic rec.audio.

The reason rec.audio.opinion exists is to keep this trash
out of the other audio groups. Please don't let it leak
in here. --scott

Totally agreed. This forum is for people who are actively
engaged in producing recordings, not people who just buy
recordings and l gear that is limited to reproduction of
pre-recorded sounds.

hank alrich

Chevdo wrote:

In article ,
says...

BTW wank. is this you?

http://www.indianvalley.net/music-festival-05.htm

please tell me this acid casualty is you, it would make my day!

Yep, that's me, and as for being an acid casualty, I rose early, oversaw
the staging, shade netting and PA setup, and played with five of the
bands, playing music from bluegrass on mandolin to jazz standards on
bass guitar. Then I oversaw the dismantling of the sound system, staging
and shade. Nine bands in eight hours. "Oversaw" means I led by example
and worked my ass off. Kurt Albershardt mixed the whole thing but for a
lunch break, and Barney Harchis recorded it all so the bands could have
a CDR of their performance.

One of us reads _Stereophile_ and finds crap over which to obsess. Nuff
said. Your day is cheap and easily made.

--
ha

Chevdo wrote:
In article .com,
says...
What, though Randi hasn't actually invited me to take part in the
challenge, you feel I should rush forward anyway, saying that I
will accept a challenge to take part in a test auditioning products
I haven't heard? A test, BTW, organized by someone who has already
demonstrated his bad faith and antipathy toward me personally on his
website by misrepresenting what I have said and written, fabricating
quotes that were presented as being by me, confusing me with other
reviewers and editors, etc etc? Sure, why not?

Mr. Randi requested that I post this reply to your lies about his
challenge to you...

What lies? I was correct about his misrepresentations, and he admitted
making the mistakes to which I referred above on his website. And I
was correct that while he had issued the Million-dollar challenge to
a number of audio writers, he ahd not done so to me or to Stereophile.

"If John Atkinson - or anyone at Stereophile Magazine - can show that
the questioned goods they endorsed in the pages of Stereophile
actually work as advertised, Mr. Atkinson, or any other person at
Stereophile, or Stereophile Magazine itself, or ANY OTHER PERSON
IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE - including those who offer the device(s) for
sale - can and will win the million-dollar challenge as offered by
the James Randi Educational Foundation at www.randi.org/research/index.html."

And he _has_ apparently done so, using you, "Chevdo," as his agent.
Well done. But please note that that fact that Randi _has_ now issued
the challenge to me can't be used retroactively to prove that I
was lying earlier about his not having done so. The arrow of time is
_so_ inconvenient when it flows only in one direction, eh.

I predict that John Atkinson - and all of the inventors/vendors of the
device(s) - will choose to ignore, as always, this attractive offer.
This, because they know full well that the device(s) cannot and would
not, pass simple, direct, definitive, tests...

I cannot speak for the vendors of the devices in question, but I most
certainly will turn down Mr. Randi's offer, "Chevdo." Randi has already
lied to me and publicly misrepresented what I am supposed to have said
or written, yet _now_ he wants me to _trust_ his integrity? Yeah,
right!
The guy is just an old carnie, looking for free publicity. In my
opinion.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Chevdo wrote:
John Atkinson is not expressing 'opinion' in Stereophile when
he allows the publication of articles which claim that magic
stones and tice clocks work.

When did I do that, Chevdo? Following Stereophile's coverage of
the Tice Clock, Tice canceled all of its advertising and has
had nothing to do with the magazine since. Regarding the Shakti
Stone, I had it reviewed by two people, one a high-end true
believer, the other a skeptic. Both reported similar impressions,
which I admit I found surprising. You can find the entirety of
Stereophile's coverage of these products in the magazine's free
on-line archives at www.stereophile.com, BTW..

That is a misrepresentation of fact, not opinion.

Nope, it is quite definitely the publishing of opinion.

It's also known as fraud.

Nope, you are wrong on that too. And yes, why _are_ you
doing this in r.a.p.? I have crossposted this response to
r.a.o. where this thread belongs, in my opinion.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Chevdo wrote:
The Shakti Stones were defended vehemently in an editorial by
reviewer Art Dudley in the November 2004 issue of Stereophile
magazine.

Good grief, "Chevdo," it's hard keeping up with your mistakes
in this thread. No. Art Dudley did not "defend" the "Shakti
Stones," vehemently or otherwise, in his column in the
November 2004 issue of Stereophile (which you can read at
http://www.stereophile.com/artdudley...ng/index1.html).
Instead, poked fun at James Randi (nee Randall Zwinge) by
issuing his own challenge and upping the ante from Randi's
"million dollars" to "a hundred billion zillion dollars."
Strangely, Randi has yet to accept this challenge. :-)

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

PS: Again, I have crossposted this response to r.a.o.
Please delete r.a.p. from the header when responding.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Chevdo wrote:
John Atkinson is not expressing 'opinion' in Stereophile when
he allows the publication of articles which claim that magic
stones and tice clocks work.

When did I do that, Chevdo? Following Stereophile's coverage of
the Tice Clock, Tice canceled all of its advertising and has
had nothing to do with the magazine since. Regarding the Shakti
Stone, I had it reviewed by two people, one a high-end true
believer, the other a skeptic.

Where can we find the measurements taken that demonstrate that Shakti Stones
have any real effect on an audio system?

Both reported similar impressions,

Which one has the measurements?

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com

Chevdo wrote:
John Atkinson is not expressing 'opinion' in Stereophile
when he allows the publication of articles which claim
that magic stones and tice clocks work.

When did I do that, Chevdo? Following Stereophile's
coverage of the Tice Clock, Tice canceled all of its
advertising and has
had nothing to do with the magazine since. Regarding the
Shakti Stone, I had it reviewed by two people, one a
high-end true believer, the other a skeptic.

Given the low standards demonstrated by Stereophile when it
comes to audio skepticism...

Both reported similar impressions, which I admit I found
surprising.

(1) If a so-called skeptic reports similar impressions to a
non-skeptic, then he's obviously not really a skeptic.

(2) A true skeptic does not believe in anything but
skepticism, and he should be in doubt about that.

(3) A true skeptic will not affirm anything, he'll just
report his momentary inability to find any definate reason
to say that its all in error.

You can find the entirety of Stereophile's
coverage of these products in the magazine's free on-line
archives at www.stereophile.com, BTW..

FWIW...

William Sommerwerck

The fundamental issue is... "How do we _know_ that what
we think we hear is what we really hear?" Or to put it
more practically and less philosophically, "How to we
know that apparent differences in sound truly correlate
to physical and measurable differences in the DUTs?".

This question has never been answered. Simply
_attempting_ to answer it would consume a huge amount of
work, time, and money. It's doable, but difficult.
Unfortunately, people like John Atkinson and Arny Krueger
think it quite unnecessary.

Illustration of one more reason why Sommerwerck isn't my
press agent -- he hasn't a clue about much of what I believe
and think.

You have generally (as I see it) defended ABX testing as the be-all and
end-all of listening tests. I've heard little from you that represents any
other point of view. And as I can't read minds, and you've never called me
to discuss your views...

To further clarify: I'm quite sure that it is necesary to
know more about "How to we
know that apparent differences in sound truly correlate to
physical and measurable differences in the DUTs?".

Or, as I would state it: We need to know more about how
apparent differences in sound correlate
with physical and measurable differences of the DUT(s).

If you can find someone to put up the big wad o' money it would require to
do such research, I'd be delighted to work with you on it. But I'm not
holding my breath.

SSJVCmag

Arny.. Dump this over to RAO only.. PLEEEEZE!
Thanks!

On 10/24/05 2:35 PM, in article
, "
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Chevdo wrote:
John Atkinson is not expressing 'opinion' in Stereophile when
he allows the publication of articles which claim that magic
stones and tice clocks work.

When did I do that, Chevdo? Following Stereophile's coverage of
the Tice Clock, Tice canceled all of its advertising and has
had nothing to do with the magazine since. Regarding the Shakti
Stone, I had it reviewed by two people, one a high-end true
believer, the other a skeptic.

Where can we find the measurements taken that demonstrate that Shakti Stones
have any real effect on an audio system?

Both reported similar impressions,

Which one has the measurements?

SSJVCmag

Bill... Take it over to RAO... Please!
Thanks!

On 10/24/05 7:27 PM, in article , "William
Sommerwerck" wrote:

[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...

I predict that John Atkinson - and all of the inventors/vendors of the
device(s) - will choose to ignore, as always, this attractive offer.
This, because they know full well that the device(s) cannot and would
not, pass simple, direct, definitive, tests...

I cannot speak for the vendors of the devices in question, but I most
certainly will turn down Mr. Randi's offer, "Chevdo." Randi has already
lied to me and publicly misrepresented what I am supposed to have said
or written, yet _now_ he wants me to _trust_ his integrity? Yeah,
right!
The guy is just an old carnie, looking for free publicity. In my
opinion.

Successfully too, I see. :-)

Norm

Lorin David Schultz

"Chevdo" wrote:

BTW wank. is this you?

http://www.indianvalley.net/music-festival-05.htm

please tell me this acid casualty is you, it would make my day!

If it is acid that is responsible for Hank's character, wit, ethics,
practical knowledge, generosity, perception and just unbelievably cool
beard, I would like to immediately place an order for as much purple mic
as can be flurbled without neebslup dob pindrookle. Fub.

Oh oh, that wasn't a Listerine lozenge... here we go again...

Oh wow... the colors these keys make in my ears when they click are FAR
OUT man!

****... anybody got any reds? I gotta go to work...

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Arny Krueger

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
message
The fundamental issue is... "How do we _know_ that what
we think we hear is what we really hear?" Or to put it
more practically and less philosophically, "How to we
know that apparent differences in sound truly correlate
to physical and measurable differences in the DUTs?".

This question has never been answered. Simply
_attempting_ to answer it would consume a huge amount of
work, time, and money. It's doable, but difficult.
Unfortunately, people like John Atkinson and Arny
Krueger think it quite unnecessary.

Illustration of one more reason why Sommerwerck isn't my
press agent -- he hasn't a clue about much of what I
believe and think.

You have generally (as I see it) defended ABX testing as
the be-all and end-all of listening tests.

That would be wrong, as well.

I've heard
little from you that represents any other point of view.

Just for grins, try asking a direct question.

And as I can't read minds, and you've never called me to
discuss your views...

I'm not really that fond of discussing views. My views are
kinda boring to me, After all, I already know them! ;-)

For example, to get me to discuss my views in public John
Atkinson had to give me an all-expenses paid trip to HE2005
in NYC. I'd previously asked for cash over and above, but
this time I had the time, it was a different city, and I
felt like seeing that old city again. Yes, I did the HE2005
thing because it was a free trip to NYC and I was a little
sentimental and lonely to spend a few days in NYC since the
weirdness.

To further clarify: I'm quite sure that it is necesary to
know more about "How to we
know that apparent differences in sound truly correlate
to physical and measurable differences in the DUTs?".

Or, as I would state it: We need to know more about how
apparent differences in sound correlate
with physical and measurable differences of the DUT(s).

If you can find someone to put up the big wad o' money it
would require to do such research, I'd be delighted to
work with you on it. But I'm not holding my breath.

Put up *my* money? Right now I'm putting that time and money
part of my personal budget into doing live sound and
recording.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Chevdo wrote:
John Atkinson is not expressing 'opinion' in Stereophile when
he allows the publication of articles which claim that magic
stones and tice clocks work.

When did I do that, Chevdo? Following Stereophile's coverage of
the Tice Clock, Tice canceled all of its advertising and has
had nothing to do with the magazine since. Regarding the Shakti
Stone, I had it reviewed by two people, one a high-end true
believer, the other a skeptic. Both reported similar impressions,
which I admit I found surprising. You can find the entirety of
Stereophile's coverage of these products in the magazine's free
on-line archives at www.stereophile.com, BTW..

That is a misrepresentation of fact, not opinion.

Nope, it is quite definitely the publishing of opinion.

It's also known as fraud.

You allowed to be printed, priase for a device for which you have
(allegedly) the capability to measure the effects of, but did not do so.
The fact that it's efficacy was never verified is at the very least stupid
and sloppy, and at worst an endorsement of snake oil, not that that's
anything new.

William Sommerwerck

You have generally (as I see it) defended ABX
testing as the be-all and end-all of listening tests.

That would be wrong, as well.

Ya coulda fooled _me_...

I've heard little from you that represents
any other point of view.

Just for grins, try asking a direct question.

All right. Briefly (because I don't expect you to spend time writing an
essay)... What do you think remains to be done (broadly) to put our
"understanding" of subjective reactions to audio equipment on a firm
scientific basis?

Up to now, I assumed your answer would be "ABX testing tells us everything
we need to know." So, surprise me with some thoughtful insights into the
issue.

If you can find someone to put up the big wad o' money it
would require to do such research, I'd be delighted to
work with you on it. But I'm not holding my breath.

Put up *my* money?

Read what I wrote (qv). It's right above.

Right now I'm putting that time and money part of my
personal budget into doing live sound and recording.

Arny Krueger

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
message

All right. Briefly (because I don't expect you to spend
time writing an essay)... What do you think remains to be
done (broadly) to put our "understanding" of subjective
reactions to audio equipment on a firm scientific basis?

Who is the "our"?

(1) If the "our" is audiophiles, the first thing to do is
chase the charlatans that dominate the high end consumer
press out of the *room*.

(2) If the "our" is working audio pros, then the first thing
to do is educate them better about acoustics,
psychoacoustics and experimental design.

(3) If the "our" is Science, then work is needed on many
fronts. The span of technology from psychoacoustics to
microphone specs is huge, and very fragementary at both
ends.

Up to now, I assumed your answer would be "ABX testing
tells us everything we need to know."

ABX is like this narrow little tool - good for resolving
controversies about whether things actually sound different,
but with no abilties to directly quantify the "size" of
audible differences, other than go, no-go. It's good for (1)
above, and goes down hill after that. For example ABC/hr
addresses a lot of the inherent weaknesses of ABX.

However, the interesting part of audio are the parts that
are clearly audible, and whose audibility has no controversy
attached to it. For example while there may be some
controversy over how different mic preamps sound, there's no
controversy over the idea that mics sound different and a
given mic sounds different as you make slight changes in its
orientation and position. In practice we throw mics around
the room, almost with total abandon.

So, surprise me
with some thoughtful insights into the issue.

Bite me! ;-)

I don't think anybody understands mics and mixing with
anything like the precision with which we understand say,
solid state power amps.