Posted to rec.audio.pro
langleycello langleycello is offline

Default SM57 for voice over : Config / Mods?

Greetings all,

I have been following the recent discussions re the SM57 optomised with
lower impedance input with interest, as I am hoping to establish a
suite for producing radio plays and classical music related discussions
/ podcasts. My preferred mic would be the SM7b, but this is currently
beyond my price range. I have heard interesting calls to mod the SM57
by taking out the transformer, making it sound like the former. This
seems a somewhat drastic measure however, and I wonder if using a low
impedance input on my ex broadcast console (which has 600 ohm
transformer inputs) may actually yield a decent result for voice work?
Perhaps it is worth removing the transformer and using the 600 ohm tap
together. The old RME (1970s) broadcast console has plenty of gain. Any
thoughts re using the SM57 for voice work with a vintage broadcast
console (in maintained conditioon) would help me along this path. I
have also read discussions re the use of various windshields to
optomise things re tonal balance (and pop removal). Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Stephen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

langleycello wrote:

I have been following the recent discussions re the SM57 optomised with
lower impedance input with interest, as I am hoping to establish a
suite for producing radio plays and classical music related discussions
/ podcasts. My preferred mic would be the SM7b, but this is currently
beyond my price range. I have heard interesting calls to mod the SM57
by taking out the transformer, making it sound like the former. This
seems a somewhat drastic measure however, and I wonder if using a low
impedance input on my ex broadcast console (which has 600 ohm
transformer inputs) may actually yield a decent result for voice work?

I don't know, but it will only take an hour or so to try, and if you do
a careful job of it, you can always put the transformer back in. I think
you'll find that you will need a good preamp to avoid noise problems with
the transformer out.

Perhaps it is worth removing the transformer and using the 600 ohm tap
together. The old RME (1970s) broadcast console has plenty of gain. Any
thoughts re using the SM57 for voice work with a vintage broadcast
console (in maintained conditioon) would help me along this path. I
have also read discussions re the use of various windshields to
optomise things re tonal balance (and pop removal). Any thoughts?

I'd suggest you get an RE-16. But I suspect the preamp on it will be
okay with the transformerless SM-57. I don't think it will give you
what you want, but it might give you something you aren't getting with
a stock SM-57, it won't take much time, and it can be easily undone.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising Roy W. Rising is offline

"langleycello" wrote:
[...]

Watch eBay for an EV DO54 A.K.A. PL9. These use the same element as the
RE55. I know several folks who have made the change, discovered the
unquestionable clarity, and made it their standard tool for Voice Over
tasks. RE55s usually go for less than $200.00, the others for even less.

I could possibly lend you one for evaluation. A good test is to dual track
a voice with two mics and A/B (or X/Y - blindfolded) after adjusting as
needed for similar bass-treble balance.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"