Simon Juncal

Default JL and WinISD don't agree on enclosure size

Where WinISD's specs differed from JL's (8W08 driven with about 80w RMS)
I corrected them, but WinISD still seems to want the enclosure much
larger than JL's recommended size. For a closed box WinISD, calculates
1.428 ft^3 while JL's spec sheet recommends 0.375 ft^3.

Why is this and which numbers should I go with. I'm inclined to go with
JL's because of space considerations.

Also on a related note, using WinISD, can anyone "layman-ize" the
meaning of the various plot windows? Gain, phase plot, SPL and group
delay; like what would be really bad group delay. I'm getting the idea
that big spikes in gain are a bad idea from experimenting with overly
large and small box sizes.

Going with 1.428 ft^3 closed box the gain plot is smooth at 0dB and
rolls off pretty fast from 80Hz (my crossover point) to -13dB at 20Hz if
I put JL's box size in there I get a bit of a hump above 0dB about 1.5dB
and a steeper drop. So what (if anything) should I read into this... a
bit more midbass punch but less low bass from JL's smaller box size?

--
Simon
"I may be wrong, but I'm not uncertain." -- Robert A. Heinlein

Paul Vina

Going with 1.428 ft^3 closed box the gain plot is smooth at 0dB and
rolls off pretty fast from 80Hz (my crossover point) to -13dB at 20Hz if
I put JL's box size in there I get a bit of a hump above 0dB about 1.5dB
and a steeper drop. So what (if anything) should I read into this... a
bit more midbass punch but less low bass from JL's smaller box size?

You figured correctly. I think JL suggests the smaller enclosure since even
in that larger box the low end isn't going to be very loud, it is an 8 after
all, so why nox limit it with the box and get a little more punch where
it'll help. I'd just do the JL box.

Paul Vina

fhlh002

I'd go with JL's rec's... saves space, and you're not gonna gain much
low-end with the larger box design from winISD.

I'd also suggest that if you go with JL's rec, add a little more power (say
150w) and I think you'll be very happy with that result.

FHLH

"Simon Juncal" wrote in
message news:4000EE98.9030106@usefirstinitialandlastnameAT erols.com...