Bill F

Default Importing ProTools Session (Session/Data) into Digital Performer3.x

I run DP3.11 and I'm running up against a number of potential projects
that were originally done in PT, so I'm looking to find out if/what
options exist for importing a PT session into DP3.x. I've read newgroup
postings that claim it's possible, but, nothing on either DD or PT site
they confirms the ability to go from PT-DP. I've already had one
unsuccessful attempt to open an OMF saved in PT - unfortunately we
didn't know what version of PT it was saved in or what options selected.
I only have the freebie versio of PT which doesn't have a save as
option. What save as/export options exist in the current PT that might
be applicable and is it the same in HD and LE versions?
I'm assuming PT editing is non-destructive for the most part. Can you
export soundbites (non-destructively edited audio) as audio files? If
there is a tranferable format what data can be retained, audio file
pointers, fades, mix automation??

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

EganMedia

I've already had one
unsuccessful attempt to open an OMF saved in PT - unfortunately we
didn't know what version of PT it was saved in or what options selected.

Try it again. Digitranslator is the only way to save a PT session as an OMF,
and OMF is the only way to import the session data you want.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com

DW Griffi

Unless you're really counting on plug-ins being automatically replicated
as well as automation, it's pretty standard to open the session in PT,
dupe all the files as "continuous" files from identical start points,
create a new DP session and import the files, just lining them up. Not
as great as having all your moves brought over, but if you were going to
remix, it's usually sufficient.

remove 555 from address to reply

Ted Spencer

I run DP3.11 and I'm running up against a number of potential projects
that were originally done in PT, so I'm looking to find out if/what
options exist for importing a PT session into DP3.x.

If a PT session is saved as an OMF export using Digidesign's DigiTranslator (it
must be version 2.x for 24 bit files) it can be opened in DP just fine. I do it
often. DigiTranslator is purchased and installed separately, but then becomes
automatically imbedded into special versions of PT 5 or 6, and simply adds OMF
2 import/export to the feature set.

An OMF export can refer to existing audio files or copy them into one huge file
that contains duplicates of them. I always use the first way even if I copy the
audio, since only then are they retained as separate files.

What save as/export options exist in the current PT that might
be applicable and is it the same in HD and LE versions?
I'm assuming PT editing is non-destructive for the most part. Can you
export soundbites (non-destructively edited audio) as audio files? If
there is a tranferable format what data can be retained, audio file
pointers, fades, mix automation??

OMF's capabilities in its current state are unfortunately very bare-bones,
making DigTranslator's ludicrous $500 list price (I paid $420 at Swee****er)
all the more infuriating. When you import an OMF file into DP from PT as you're
describing, what you will get is the following:

-Properly placed and named audio regions
-Track names based on file names
-Correct session start time
-Correct frame rate, sample rate, but rate etc.

That's it.

What you won't get is:

-Aux tracks
-Send and I/O assignments, levels, routing
-Plugin information of any kind
-Markers
-Midi data of any kind (a standard midi file can be separately imported)
-Automation data (except one breakpoint at the beginning and ending of each
region if desired)

The net effect is that a great deal of reconstruction is required if the song
has had anything beyond basic recording and editing done to it. Perhaps a
future upgrade to DT will incorporate more of what is needed for DAW use, but
its roots are still in video applications like Avid where few DAW-like features
exist.

I hope this helped

Ted Spencer, NYC

"No amount of classical training will ever teach you what's so cool about
"Tighten Up" by Archie Bell And The Drells" -author unknown