psongman

Default External inputs on my mixer won't blend with my voice and instruments?

Hi, I am having some routing problems. I have a Tascam TMD1000 and
want to run the sound out of my Fostex VF08 or CD player in to the
external inputs on my mixer, play along and record or play out via the
external outs. I hook the Fostex up using line to RCA, then in to the
external inputs on top of mixer, plays through headphones fine but not
going out to my receiver (am using an old ONKYO), then to my speakers.
I am also using the RCA's out to the receiver, is that the problem.
What I have been doing is sending the spdif out to the spdif in and
patching to channels 9 and 10. There must be some little thing I am
doing wrong....why can't the signal in from the external source play
through the mixer while I pick and sing and send to another source for
amplifying or recording. I am quite positive it is not in the bussing
as all seems set up right from my checking in to it. Anwway, hopefully
enough info for a Eureka moment, that I am sure will be heading my
way, in a message or two. Please help me out with this as I was going
to burn a CD and play along with it when I perform but this would be
dysfunctional, obviously, until this is resolved, IAT, psongman