Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Alan Baldwin

Default Using F-connector for sub-woofer?

Hi,
I am wiring up my home theatre, and purchased a wall plate to terminate all
the in-wall and in-ceiling speaker wires. The plate I purchased is a
Russound. It has 2 F-connectors labeled for SUB1 & SUB2. Can anyone tell
me why they would have that,instead of speaker posts, like the rest of the
connectors? Is there an adapter I'm supposed to purchase or something?

Thanks,
Alan Baldwin

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Robert Morein

"Alan Baldwin" wrote in message
et...
Hi,
I am wiring up my home theatre, and purchased a wall plate to terminate
all the in-wall and in-ceiling speaker wires. The plate I purchased is a
Russound. It has 2 F-connectors labeled for SUB1 & SUB2. Can anyone tell
me why they would have that,instead of speaker posts, like the rest of the
connectors? Is there an adapter I'm supposed to purchase or something?

Thanks,
Alan Baldwin

I know of no logical reason for this. The only reason they would do this is,
the plate is a standard item, used for years for TV connectors. So they
bought it cheap and relabled it.

The F-connector is a poor choice for audio work, primarily because cables
rely on a bare copper conductor for the center conductor. It is a peculiar
characteristic of VHF and UHF radio signals that they pass through this bad
connection with little loss. However, base band audio is subject to damage
by the nature of this connector.

I would not use it at all for audio.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Alan Baldwin" wrote in message
et

I am wiring up my home theatre, and purchased a wall
plate to terminate all the in-wall and in-ceiling speaker
wires. The plate I purchased is a Russound. It has 2
F-connectors labeled for SUB1 & SUB2. Can anyone tell me
why they would have that,instead of speaker posts, like
the rest of the connectors?

This plate was clearly designed for use with an antenna,
cable or satellite system.

Is there an adapter I'm
supposed to purchase or something?

Get a plate with the right connectors, and don't get mislead
by cryptic markings.

If you are connecting speakers to amplifier speaker outputs,
the *right* connector would be something like banana jacks
or (better) 5-way binding posts.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Alan Baldwin

Thanks Robert and Arny,
I thought the same thing, so I am going to abandon the 2 F connectors, well,
actually I am going to use one for my outdoor FM radio antenna connection.
G There is a rear surround 5-way binding post, that I am just going to
use for the sub-woofer, and relabel the jack plate. (It's in a cabinet
anyway.)

I appreciate both of your prompt responses and confirmation that their
design is wacky! G

Cheers,
Alan