Bob

Default Powers On, Everything Works, NO SOUND!

(sorry if this double posted)

I have tried three different (working) head units in my car, and all
three have the same problem. The head units power on fine, their
interfaces work, but no sound comes out of the speakers!!!

I rewired my speakers, but this did not fix the problem. I am 100%
sure that the speaker wires are not crossed or grounding out or
anything. During troubleshooting, I did a minimum install to the HUs
and only connected the speakers, the Ground, the (+) Ignition Switch,
and the (+) Battery.

I should mention that occasionally with two of the HUs, sound would
come on for about five minutes, then all the speakers would go silent -
with no screaching or any other kinds of noise. The speakers are all
new and in good condition.

My newest HU never produces any sound (it is a brand new Alpine
CDA-9847).

Any ideas???

BTW, I definitely have the wires correctly connected.

Bob

Sporadically, one of the head units plays music for a few minutes than
the sound just cuts out. So yes, the settings on the HU are definitely
correct.

Also, the radio does not work either (no CDs, no Radio! Long drives
are KILLING me!!!)

Thanks for your reply.
-Bob

Cyrus

In article .com,
"Bob" wrote:

Sporadically, one of the head units plays music for a few minutes than
the sound just cuts out. So yes, the settings on the HU are definitely
correct.

Also, the radio does not work either (no CDs, no Radio! Long drives
are KILLING me!!!)

Thanks for your reply.
-Bob

Take the hu out, set it on a bench and connect it to a battery. Connect
one speaker at a time until you have a problem. Go from there.

hth,

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

You didn't mention what type of car. Are you sure you don't have
factory amps? Often they require the 'ext amp' or 'pwr ant' remote
trigger to be energized before they'll put out anything.

Take a multi-meter and measure the resistance across each of the
speaker wires. Depending on the speakers you have, you should have
roughly 4ohms, unless there's an amp in the mix.

HTH,
-Slipnfall

Bob

It's a 1990 Toyota Corolla. However, I put in new speakers and ran new
wires straight to the HU, to even if there were an amp, I'd be
bypassing it.

"Often they require the 'ext amp' or 'pwr ant' remote
trigger to be energized before they'll put out anything. "

I like the way your thinking, but one catch... I had one of the lower
power, older HUs playing for up to ten minutes (at a decent volume)
before the sound stopped. A few days later it did it again.

Come on, Audiophiles, more suggestions! I'm dyin' over here!!! ;-)

Bob

I might try this today..

Mister.Lull

Maybe test and see what kind of power you're getting out of the battery
lead... That and/or you might check the negative/ground for the deck.
Other than that; I don't know, dude, sounds like it should be working...

Spike

Stab in the dark, but, is it possible you are over powering a fuse
link, or a circuit breaker? If the HU has been replaced (several times
it appears) and the same problem develops with each new one....

On 7 May 2005 07:43:36 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

It's a 1990 Toyota Corolla. However, I put in new speakers and ran new
wires straight to the HU, to even if there were an amp, I'd be
bypassing it.

"Often they require the 'ext amp' or 'pwr ant' remote
trigger to be energized before they'll put out anything. "

I like the way your thinking, but one catch... I had one of the lower
power, older HUs playing for up to ten minutes (at a decent volume)
before the sound stopped. A few days later it did it again.

Come on, Audiophiles, more suggestions! I'm dyin' over here!!! ;-)

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
joe.ker

Try running your power wire and ground straight to the battery and test the
unit again. it's possible your not getting enough power though the fuse box.
you may need to go to an alternate power source

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

joe.ker

Evening my last post, I thought power was going out.
With no sound, or sometimes sound, it sounds like a speaker or speaker wire
grounding out. Take an ohm meter and test at the radio harness
(disconnected) all the speaker wires to ground. put one lead to ground and
the other to all the speaker wires. all the wire should be infinite ohms.
one of the speaker terminals could be grounding out or touching metal just
enough to ground out the head unit. A speaker could also be shorted
internally where mounting it to metal grounds out the head unit.

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Bruce Chang

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

It sounds like you have a wire shorting to ground. A speaker wire, that is.
Typically, of the headunits I've owned, if you short a speaker wire to
ground, you'll either put the HU's amp into protection or you'll just shut
the whole thing down. It doesn't matter if you have the wires correctly
connected, you could have them improperly connected and you'd still get
sound in a lot of cases. Check your wiring to your speakers or just connect
one at a time in the car.

-Bruce

Bob

You guys/gals guessed it!!!

One of my new Rockford-Fosgate 4" speakers ($80/pair) was shorting out.
Apparently, the two leads connected to the actual speaker somehow came
into contact with the speaker's metal frame! I couldn't believe it -
the leads were a bit long, and were not tucked away properly by good
ol' RF. Thus the speaker's frame was hot, which made the metal it was
touching hot, which grounded to the chassis and lead to the problem I
was having.

THANKS SO MUCH!!! YOU ALL ROCK!!!