Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Star Quad Cable Wiring (Canare)

On 9/02/2018 10:47 AM, Linda Masterson wrote:

May I clarify, my whole studio is wired with Canare star quad cable and
I have *zero* hum.

Mine isn't, and I have zero hum !

However, I have two cables which were custom made with a TRS male
Switchcraft connector to two Neutrik XLRs for exactly like the situation
I have now except it was for a stereo output of an old Fender Princeton
Chorus and I have noticeable hum when I cranked the gain when I hooked
it up to the keyboard. Both cables. Maybe I had some hum back then and
didn't notice at the time. I am cranking gains now for test purposes.

Never heard a Fender Princeton that didn't emit hum and/or noise when
'cranked' ! Or pretty much any guitar amp for that matter, moreso any
valve/tube ones.

I wired all of my my *instrument cable* with mostly short runs as well
using star quad cable and that was done in the day. Canare did not sell
instrument cable IIRC at that time. Sure I could have used other cable
but like I said I bought a ton of this cable to begin with and am still
using it and it is not in every color of the rainbow which they make and
mine are all black except for these two blue Canare custom cables which
are both humming. Continuity tester checks out fine but having 1/4" inch
on both ends solves my hum problem because I checked with (brand) insert
cables.

Sound very comprehensive, and not an extent that I would imagine even
the most upmarket and retentive studios would find necessary (I could be
wrong ...).

.... but I hope the instrument cables do not include for passive-pickup
guitars or basses. Those 4-wires-plus-screen instead of
one-wire-plus-screen(s) probably equate to significant shunt capacitance.

geoff

Star-Quad P. Mustard Pro Audio 11 May 17th 06 09:00 PM
FA. Canare 24 chan snake cable Andrew Gerome Tech 0 May 21st 04 09:50 PM
FA. Canare 24 chan snake cable Andrew Gerome Marketplace 0 May 21st 04 09:49 PM
Canare Microphone Cable Question Newsguy Pro Audio 12 May 16th 04 06:55 PM
Canare Microphone Cable Question Newsguy Pro Audio 0 May 15th 04 08:25 PM