fred flinstone

Default Pioneer NAV Units

Anybody know much about the Pioneer NAV units, specifically the AVIC
88dvd vs the AVIC 80dvd. I already have the AVH-P7500DVD so I don't
need a screen. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

fred flinstone wrote:
Anybody know much about the Pioneer NAV units, specifically the AVIC
88dvd vs the AVIC 80dvd. I already have the AVH-P7500DVD so I don't
need a screen. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

All I care is installilng DVD in car is not a smart thing to do.
I hope you don't runover someone while watching DVD on driving.

Masterson

Scott.....

You can watch a DVD Video disc while driving, right?

The Pioneer AVIC units are NAVIGATION units, and not
for watching DVD movies in the car.

Scott Gardner

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:56:51 -0500, "Masterson"
wrote:

Scott.....

You can watch a DVD Video disc while driving, right?

The Pioneer AVIC units are NAVIGATION units, and not
for watching DVD movies in the car.

Nope, I don't think so. I believe that the Pioneer AVIC-80DVD and
AVIC-88DVD that the original poster was asking about are DVD-ROM
navigation units only. They don't have a screen of their own, and
must be connected to an external monitor.

Even after you connect them to an external monitor, I don't think
either one can play movie discs, just the DVD-ROM map discs.

Scott Gardner

Ben Robinson

Nope, I don't think so. I believe that the Pioneer AVIC-80DVD and
AVIC-88DVD that the original poster was asking about are DVD-ROM
navigation units only. They don't have a screen of their own, and
must be connected to an external monitor.

And all DVD players prevent you watching a DVD when the handbrake is off.

Ben

--

Director
Eve Record Group

SF

First, if you watch a DVD while driving, then you are irresposible. And most
irresponsible drivers have more than one distraction in the car.

Second, the new Pioneer video units have something built in to them so above
10 mph, they will shut the monitor down. I am in Pioneer training tomorrow,
so I will let you know what I found out.

--
WDW is a Way of Life
"Ben Robinson" wrote in message
Nope, I don't think so. I believe that the Pioneer AVIC-80DVD and
AVIC-88DVD that the original poster was asking about are DVD-ROM
navigation units only. They don't have a screen of their own, and
must be connected to an external monitor.

And all DVD players prevent you watching a DVD when the handbrake is off.

Ben

--

Director
Eve Record Group
www.recoverworld.com

MOSFET

Second, the new Pioneer video units have something built in to them so
above
10 mph, they will shut the monitor down. I am in Pioneer training

tomorrow,
so I will let you know what I found out.

Well that would kind of suck for me. You see, I play music videos (MPEG's)
in my car all the time. Just out of curiosity, if I were to play an MPEG on
a new Pioneer video unit while driving over 10 mph, would it just darken the
screen, or stop playing all together?

Some of you are going to think this is REALLY irresponsible, but I like
having videos going while I drive. I glance over at them from time to time,
but I don't just sit and stare, of course. I don't think I would ever buy a
unit that would deny me that.
Just my $.02.

MOSFET

SF

I will find out tonight, but I have been told the unit will not display the
video while moving...

More on the new Pioneer units later tonight!!

--
WDW is a Way of Life

Ben Robinson wrote:

And all DVD players prevent you watching a DVD when the handbrake is off.

Sure, but how does it know the handbrake is on or off? Hint, hint!
If you do the install yourself (or modify it after the fact), you can
wire it up so it thinks the handbrake is off all the time.

SF

Ok

The new software DO NOT use the handbrake as a safety. Any of the Pioneer
navigation units with brand new software, utilize the gyro in the navi unit
and satellite signals to determine when the vehicle is in motion.

While the vehicle is in motion, the front screen will NOT WORK, with
navigation being the excption. You will be able to see the navi map, but you
will have no button control while in motion.

The backup camera will still work, but ONLY when in reverse.

While in motion, the video out will allow video to show, but the main screen
will not work.

The only difference between the ANIC N1 and AVIC N2 is the software. So if
you have an N1 you can buy upgraded software and then you will have an N2 -
BUT then you will not have control of the video while in motion.

This is directly from Pioneer.

--
WDW is a Way of Life
"Scott Gardner" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 22:42:12 GMT, wrote:

In article ,
Ben Robinson wrote:

And all DVD players prevent you watching a DVD when the handbrake is

off.

Sure, but how does it know the handbrake is on or off? Hint, hint!
If you do the install yourself (or modify it after the fact), you can
wire it up so it thinks the handbrake is off all the time.

Or, so that it thinks that the handbrake is ON all the time, which
would be slightly more useful (grin).

Seriously, the interlocks have gotten more and more sophisticated over
time. The earliest one were simple wires to the handbrake that could
be grounded out to make the unit think the handbrake was applied.
Then, they got more complicated, requiring that you apply and release
the handbrake in a certain pattern to let the unit know you were
stopped. From other posts in this thread, it sound like some of the
units are going to tie into the vehicle speed sensor (I don't know how
they'll work in older cars, though).

Whatever interlock comes along, I'm sure there will be a "black box"
to defeat them, that's why I hadn't mentioned them in any of my
earlier posts.

Scott Gardner

Scott Gardner

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 03:14:10 GMT, "SF"
wrote:

Ok

The new software DO NOT use the handbrake as a safety. Any of the Pioneer
navigation units with brand new software, utilize the gyro in the navi unit
and satellite signals to determine when the vehicle is in motion.

While the vehicle is in motion, the front screen will NOT WORK, with
navigation being the excption. You will be able to see the navi map, but you
will have no button control while in motion.

The backup camera will still work, but ONLY when in reverse.

While in motion, the video out will allow video to show, but the main screen
will not work.

The only difference between the ANIC N1 and AVIC N2 is the software. So if
you have an N1 you can buy upgraded software and then you will have an N2 -
BUT then you will not have control of the video while in motion.

This is directly from Pioneer.

As long as there's software, someone will find a way to hack it and
allow playback on the main screen with the vehicle in motion. By
tying in the navigation system, Pioneer has made it harder, but not
impossible.

And I'm not sure what having "no button control while in motion"
means, but it sounds like **no one** can control the navigation system
while the car's in motion, not even a passenger. I thnk that's a
little excessive. If I'm riding with a passenger that can handle all
of the navigation stuff, why not let them make changes while the car's
moving?

Scott Gardner

SF

I do agree.

I like when the passenger can work the navi unit.

And yes, someone, somewhere, will figure out a hack to turn the video back
on.

--
wrote:

[...]

sq4u sq4u is offline
Junior Member

I cant believe what I am reading here guys........I no way would it prevent you from watching the screen. The ANSWER is how you hook it up......a typical cva alpine unit, the pioneer avh models, eclipse, clarion, screens have a PARKING BRAKE wire to attach to the screw of your handbrake, so when you lift the brake up, this dumb little wire not grounded, or ground when put down.....if i buy a navigation unit....you better believe that if I am parked at superamerica.....it better STAY ON when i am filling up my gas and be ready at all times at a red light, or I will be one ****ed off customer. now to the parking brake thing, that wire SHOULD BE hooked up to parking brake, but, when we lift that brake up just a lil bit, the screen can turn on, and you can drive with that brake up just a wee bit, and not be annoyed. no way we HAVE TO be driving faster than 10 mph....are you crazy or somethin, why would anyone want to spread these lies, and confuse our other audio enthusiasts. when we want the RIGHT answers. There are too many Students in this field, and not enuff good Teachers.

unit....you better believe that if I am parked at superamerica.....it
better STAY ON when i am filling up my gas and be ready at all times at
a red light, or I will be one ****ed off customer. now to the parking
brake thing, that wire SHOULD BE hooked up to parking brake, but, when
we lift that brake up just a lil bit, the screen can turn on, and you
can drive with that brake up just a wee bit, and not be annoyed. no
way we HAVE TO be driving faster than 10 mph....are you crazy or
somethin, why would anyone want to spread these lies, and confuse our
other audio enthusiasts. when we want the RIGHT answers. There are
too many Students in this field, and not enuff good Teachers.

Read SF's posts more carefully. According to what Pioneer is telling
him, the new Pioneer NAV units don't need a handbrake input to tell
whether or not the car is stopped. It looks at the GPS and INS inputs
to tell whether or not the car is moving.
This means that you can't do something as simple as grounding out
the parking brake wire to make the NAV unit think you're stopped.
Someone's going to have to write a patch for the software so that the
main video screen will continue to play, even though the GPS/INS says
that the car's moving.

Scott Gardner

unit....you better believe that if I am parked at superamerica.....it
[...]

I'm coming in a bit late in this thread, but I would think that end
users would be able to change nav relate settings while driving. What if
you need to change routes or alter some other information? Locking
controls out would seem unreasonable. SF, can you confirm?

One of my employer's divisions design the MEMS chip that Pioneer and
Kenwood are using to detect motion so that restrictions are based on
that motion. They CAN be defeated with modifications to its front end
circuitry, but it'll be a task as you'll obviously need to open and work
on the PCB within the nav unit. As everyone here should know, RF devices
are sensitive to circuit changes, so be careful!

Warren
SF

I am not 100% about which nav controls are disabled while in motion. I
havent seen the new Pioneers yet.

--
WDW is a Way of Life

wrote:

I cant believe what I am reading here guys........I no way would it
prevent you from watching the screen. The ANSWER is how you hook it
up......a typical cva alpine unit, the pioneer avh models, eclipse,
clarion, screens have a PARKING BRAKE wire to attach to the screw of
your handbrake, so when you lift the brake up, this dumb little wire
not grounded, or ground when put down.....if i buy a navigation

sq4u sq4u is offline
Junior Member

Nope, not convinced......when you arrive "at destination" with a Garmin 276c or 2620 models and such.....the unit will definatly STAY ON, and tell you verbally and legibly "arriving at destination," and ready to plot the next route....if your a pizza delivery driver.......you dont want to be drivin and lookin at your next stop and inputting street locale to plot the next stop for your next delivery........or else, we'd have alot of accidents.......Im just sayin, all in-one dvd units will have the parking brake wire to be wired in. thats all im saying. So....there is no GPS "speed" that you have to be goin 10 mph to keep the darn thing workin. OK sorry bout the late post had to do it. Im just tryin to tell the uninformed about how these units work....NO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE GOING 1, 2 or even 10 mph to keep the screen from shutting off. OK thanks all. ...I have played with all the new toys.......the pioneer AVIC models offer no more funcionality than the alpine IVA's besides....i like the cool pulse touch thing from alpine......and also....psssst alpines got more pixel and screen resolution too so you dvd fanatics, the Movie will look alot better too.... And yes...I did read SF's post and ridiculously HE stated the UNIT has to be in MOTION....that is false.......I was simply stating to even ACCESS the dvd/nav function..the prkng brake wire HAS to be wired in. Read MY post a little more carefully please. thank you so much.

Last edited by sq4u : February 27th 05 at 01:12 PM
Scott Gardner

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:03:22 +0000, sq4u
wrote:

Nope, not convinced......when you arrive "at destination" with a Garmin
276c or 2620 models and such.....the unit will definatly STAY ON, and
tell you verbally and legibly "arriving at destination," and ready to
plot the next route....if your a pizza delivery driver.......you dont
want to be drivin and lookin at your next stop and inputting street
locale to plot the next stop for your next delivery........or else,
we'd have alot of accidents.......Im just sayin, all in-one dvd units
will have the parking brake wire to be wired in. thats all im saying.
So....there is no GPS "speed" that you have to be goin 10 mph to keep
the darn thing workin. OK sorry bout the late post had to do it. Im
just tryin to tell the uninformed about how these units work....NO YOU
DO NOT HAVE TO BE GOING 1, 2 or even 10 mph to keep the screen from
shutting off. OK thanks all.

snip

You're really not paying attention. SF isn't saying that you have to
maintain a certain speed to keep the screen from shutting off - no
one's saying that.

SF is claiming that the AVIC units with the new N2 software are tied
into the GPS/INS signals so they won't play DVDs while the car's in
motion, regardless of whether the handbrake is set or not. In fact,
if the unit can use GPS and INS inputs to tell whether or not the
car's moving, then it won't need a handbrake wire at all.

It also sounds like SF is currently attending some sort of Pioneer
factory training, so he's probably getting his information directly
from Pioneer.

Scott Gardner

SF

Infact, instead of telling me I don't know what I am saying, maybe you
should talk to a pioneer rep yourself.

I love how you claim it wont shut off, but nobody has even seen this unit,
unless your work for pioneer. So my suggestion, is to wait until you see the
N2 in action before you comment.

I merely passed on what I was told and what was explained about the new nav
units from Pioneer directly.

So for all you disbelievers, wait until you see the N2. And for for info,
Alpine has had a blackout on their video systems for years!!!

--
wrote:

[...]

Fred Flinstone

I would love to thank all of you for answering my question, You have all
been a big help Now that I am done been sarcastic will anybody answer the
question please?
Thanks
"fred flinstone" wrote in message
Anybody know much about the Pioneer NAV units, specifically the AVIC
88dvd vs the AVIC 80dvd. I already have the AVH-P7500DVD so I don't
need a screen. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Sean Scott

I would love to thank all of you for answering my question, You have all
been a big help Now that I am done been sarcastic will anybody answer
the question please?
Thanks
"fred flinstone" wrote in message
Anybody know much about the Pioneer NAV units, specifically the AVIC
88dvd vs the AVIC 80dvd. I already have the AVH-P7500DVD so I don't
need a screen. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Well, if you havn't got any answers it probably means that noone knows much
about the Pioneer NAV units.

Warren Bryant

Sean Scott wrote:
"Fred Flinstone" wrote in message

I would love to thank all of you for answering my question, You have all
been a big help Now that I am done been sarcastic will anybody answer
the question please?
Thanks
"fred flinstone" wrote in message
. ..

Anybody know much about the Pioneer NAV units, specifically the AVIC
88dvd vs the AVIC 80dvd. I already have the AVH-P7500DVD so I don't
need a screen. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Well, if you havn't got any answers it probably means that noone knows much
about the Pioneer NAV units.

I suggest Sean use a search engine and find Pioneer's link to both
systems. Oh wait, look what I found:

http://pioneerusa.com/pna/product/de...etailComponent
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...320460,00.html

Then download the manual or spec sheets and determine the difference
himself rather than wait days for someone to do the same work and come
back to report on the NG for him.
Sean Scott

"Warren Bryant" wrote in message
news
Sean Scott wrote:
[...]

Ummmmm, HELLO, im not the OP.

Warren Bryant

Sean Scott wrote:

"Fred Flinstone" wrote in message

I would love to thank all of you for answering my question, You have all
been a big help Now that I am done been sarcastic will anybody answer
the question please?
Thanks
"fred flinstone" wrote in message
m...

Anybody know much about the Pioneer NAV units, specifically the AVIC
88dvd vs the AVIC 80dvd. I already have the AVH-P7500DVD so I don't
need a screen. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Well, if you havn't got any answers it probably means that noone knows
much about the Pioneer NAV units.

I suggest Sean use a search engine and find Pioneer's link to both
systems. Oh wait, look what I found:

http://pioneerusa.com/pna/product/de...etailComponent
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...320460,00.html

Then download the manual or spec sheets and determine the difference
himself rather than wait days for someone to do the same work and come
back to report on the NG for him.

Ummmmm, HELLO, im not the OP.

Opps, well whoever asked the original question, sorry.
sq4u sq4u is offline
Junior Member

the pioneer avic 88 is the replacement model for the avic 80, it includes a steering wheel mounted remote that the 80 didnt offer...a remade model for the avic 80......the 80 and the 88 are the the same.
Dave

Well that's odd. I guess I should throw out the steering wheel remote that
came with my AVIC80 just so you won't be proved wrong, huh?

On another sad note, I'm hoping SF will get back into this thread to let us
know if the rumor is true that if you have the parking brake wire grounded
now (like SOME people I know ;-) that the new software will actually lock up
or cripple your system and that only a Pioneer service facility can reset
it. Also, since this new detection scheme depends on feedback from the gyro
in the Nav unit, what happens to users of the AVH-P7500 who DON'T have a nav
unit? Will they continue to be able to play DVD's with their "cracked"
installations?

dave

"sq4u" wrote in message

the pioneer avic 88 is the replacement model for the avic 80, it
includes a steering wheel mounted remote that the 80 didnt offer...a
remade model for the avic 80......the 80 and the 88 are the the same.

--
sq4u

SF

The 7500 does not lock up the video, because there is no nav unit. Pioneer
made it clear, if there is no nav unit attached to the headunit, the screen
will require the parking brake connection.

Again, I have not seen the new Pioneer nav units, but when I do, I will let
you know.

--
WDW is a Way of Life

"sq4u" wrote in message

the pioneer avic 88 is the replacement model for the avic 80, it
includes a steering wheel mounted remote that the 80 didnt offer...a
remade model for the avic 80......the 80 and the 88 are the the same.

--
sq4u

Dave

Hi Stephen,

Okay, maybe I should reword it. I have a '7500 with an AVIC80. If I were to
have my '7500 installed with a, let's just say, "shorted" brake
wire......(let's just say)......would my unit lock up when using the new
software? What would that lockup involve? How is it "unlocked"?

dave

ink.net...

"sq4u" wrote in message

the pioneer avic 88 is the replacement model for the avic 80, it
includes a steering wheel mounted remote that the 80 didnt offer...a
remade model for the avic 80......the 80 and the 88 are the the same.

--
sq4u

nek3777

Davewrote:
Hi Stephen,

Okay, maybe I should reword it. I have a '7500 with an AVIC80. If I

were to
have my '7500 installed with a, let's just say, "shorted" brake
wire......(let's just say)......would my unit lock up when using the

new
software? What would that lockup involve? How is it "unlocked"?

dave

ink.net...

"sq4u" wrote in message

the pioneer avic 88 is the replacement model for the avic 80, it
includes a steering wheel mounted remote that the 80 didnt

offer...a
remade model for the avic 80......the 80 and the 88 are the the

same.

--
sq4u

[/quote:1e001dce15]

OK so, i read the chat thread. Has anyone found a way to play the DVD
when the avic-n2 is in motion? I though it would be a simple install.
My brother’s alpine required 2 toggle switch, one from the brake and
the other from the hand brake. You need to do a certain sequence to
the switches to be able to play the dvd while driving. Unfortunately
when installing the pioneer in my car we found that the wiring is not
the same. We though we had a way to bypass it through hardware but I
don’t think that is the case. I tested the car when putting it on
drive with the hand brake down and it still played the dvd. But the
minute the car started in motion the screen showed the back ground of
the radio. I can still hear the sound but I’m not sure if that’s
because of the attempted hack that we did. I though it was the pulse
wire to know the speed of the car but that was proven wrong when we
disconnected it. So I’m thinking it’s all on software and not
hardware. So if anyone has any feedback please let me know… Ithe
playing of dvd while driving is really not for the driver but for the
passengers. Why would someone watch a dvd parked! You can do that in
the house. Oh, as for the GPS once your driving you can’t alter the
course… another thing that is very annoying!

prfixer

I just finished installing this today in my truck. It is indeed true
that the screen cut-off is controlled by the internals of the unit.
The screen is locked out after accelerating to about 10MPH. This is
true for the A/V input as well. My whole reason for doing this is we
have 4 kids. One of them has to ride in the front seat. In order to
avoid WWIII, I had thought I could out in an overhead player/monitor
w/ an A/V out to the Avic-n2, let them all watch the movie with thier
wireless headsets and wifey and I can either talk or listen to the
radio from the Avic. You can override the screen lockout by
unplugging the GPS antenna from the hideaway box, but that kind of
defeats the purpose of having this unit. If someone comes up with the
permanent cheat, put me in first for the fix!!

Jaz Mill via CarKB.com

There is a Pioneer Service code out there somewhere that I have been
searching for that disables this video and navigation lockout. I have heard
that it is given to Pioneer troubleshooters. If anyone out there has this
sequence of coding or know what the heck this is, please respond. I know
how to do the "Rear Video Out - to - rear Camera in" thing, but I would
rather not see the displayed "Images may be closer" message all of the time
and I want to change routes while driving.

Thanks
Robert HAYES via CarKB.com

My Pioneer Nav unit is on it's way but I have been reading the manual for a
couple of weeks now. The part about connecting the "Speed Wire has me
stumped though.

(My car is a 2004 Corvette) What I can make of it is that I have to tap
into a circuit on the PCM harness, But which circuit is the RIGHT circuit?
(Color code and circuit #)

Is there anyone here that knows for sure?
Hector Bosko via CarKB.com

Hey guys
First time poster
I have an N2
I here confirm
NO DVD while driving
and very limited nav functions while driving

electron pimp

Well.......yes according to pioneer.

Although I have found a way around it.

--
WDW is a Way of Life
"Hector Bosko via CarKB.com" wrote in message
Hey guys
First time poster
I have an N2
I here confirm
NO DVD while driving
and very limited nav functions while driving

Hector Bosko via CarKB.com

what did u find out?

Hector Bosko via CarKB.com

another thing is,
I personaly could care less abt the DVD playing. I just dont watch movies
enough.
What does bother me is the Nav limitations.
I go on long trips sometimes with friends. I really hate that my passenger
cant control the nave while Im driving.
so if anyone knows how to enable the nav thatd be cool
allthough I suspect as many of you do, that one thing would fix both
functions

electron pimp

Here is what you do.

Jump the rear video out to the rear camera input - this is an RCA

Then give the backup signal a constant 12 volt signal. You might want to
switch it.

Then when the backup wire sees you "backing up" the camera screen comes up
and whatever you have into that input is what you will see.

--
WDW is a Way of Life
"Hector Bosko via CarKB.com" wrote in message
another thing is,
I personaly could care less abt the DVD playing. I just dont watch movies
enough.
What does bother me is the Nav limitations.
I go on long trips sometimes with friends. I really hate that my passenger
cant control the nave while Im driving.
so if anyone knows how to enable the nav thatd be cool
allthough I suspect as many of you do, that one thing would fix both
functions

Hector Bosko via CarKB.com

thats cool and all
and i think that will take care of the dvd part but i still dobnt have nav
wich is what i really want
i do apreciate the help though
if im wrong then let me know