Lou

Default A question for techs OR people in Ladson SC

Hi,

I have some one who came to me with a set up of:

1 - (Farenheit brand) DVD 17 - player
1 - (Legacy Audio brand) LM 356 - LCD monitor

He bought these items "allegedly" new (as he claims) via a dealer just days
before moving out of the state - SC. Upon coming to this area, he proceeded
to hook them up and found they didn't work. The monitor - is displaying a
thin horizontal line. I'm familiar with TV repairs and can probably tackle
this in the same manner, but being able to repair it, isn't the whole point
of the matter.

He stated all parts "were" in plastic bags and so on. What he didn't get,
was any warranty info in the boxes. I wrote to the address I found on the
very small and not very informational insert - of the manufacturer of the
defective item in question. They have yet to answer me and it's been 3
business days.

I'm wondering if anyone has:

1. Any past workings with Legacy Audio brand items or customer support
2. Repair information for the LM356
3. Knowledge of the dealers in the SC area as to reputation.

IF this unit was new as was claimed, this party should not have to pay "me"
for repairing the unit. He should be able to get his cash back OR a
replacement. The Manufacturer either doesn't answer their e-mails asking
about warranty options OR acquiring replacement parts and/or Service data.
I'm trying to help him get something for the cash he has laid out. It sucks
to see someone buy an item new, only to have to pay to have it repaired.

Any help appreciated. I just hate seeing people getting screwed. I could be
wrong, but based on what was told to me and things I've seen, it "appears"
the dealer sold a "returned" unit as new. Surely they ought to back up their
business. The "dealer" is located in Ladson SC. "I" can not vouch for the
story I was given on this set up. The last time I was in a similar
situation, the dealer sold a unit which he claimed brand new, put the buyer
through the wringer when the unit was found defective. I happened to witness
the line of crap and managed to get the guy a new radio via the
Manufacturer. The business who sold that particular bad unit is now defunct.
I was hoping the company who sold the above listed equipment or manufactured
it - would step up to the plate and offer to correct a wrong or at least
assist in doing so. In the same instance, does anyone have the e-mail
address, snail mail address or phone number of the SC State Attorney General
or Better Business Bureau? If not, we'll look it up - no big deal

Thanks,

Lou