Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris F. Chris F. is offline

Default Pro Cassette Deck - What is this anyway?

Someone brought me a rather unusual tape deck yesterday. It says "MEI
Propac 4" (model C-1020) professional cassette deck. The front has buttons
for eject, power, and track select (1 to 4), as well as volume, stop, play,
and rewind. No FF or REC functions. The rear has speaker outputs for 4 ohm
and 70V, bass and treble controls, and screw-on line input terminals. It
certainly looks like pro audio, but is it worth anything? I couldn't find
anything similar on Ebay to go by. I ask because I plan to repair this and
try selling it on there.
Thanks.

--
To reply via Email, remove NOSPAM from the address

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Chris F. wrote:
Someone brought me a rather unusual tape deck yesterday. It says "MEI
Propac 4" (model C-1020) professional cassette deck. The front has buttons
for eject, power, and track select (1 to 4), as well as volume, stop, play,
and rewind. No FF or REC functions. The rear has speaker outputs for 4 ohm
and 70V, bass and treble controls, and screw-on line input terminals. It
certainly looks like pro audio, but is it worth anything? I couldn't find
anything similar on Ebay to go by. I ask because I plan to repair this and
try selling it on there.

Let me guess, it works at much lower than normal 1 7/8 ips cassette speed?
Sounds like a background music system to me.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julian Julian is offline

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:43:01 GMT, "Chris F."
wrote:

Someone brought me a rather unusual tape deck yesterday. It says "MEI
Propac 4" (model C-1020) professional cassette deck. The front has buttons
for eject, power, and track select (1 to 4), as well as volume, stop, play,
and rewind. No FF or REC functions. The rear has speaker outputs for 4 ohm
and 70V, bass and treble controls, and screw-on line input terminals. It
certainly looks like pro audio, but is it worth anything? I couldn't find
anything similar on Ebay to go by. I ask because I plan to repair this and
try selling it on there.
Thanks.

The fact it drives speakers directly is unusual. The 70V speaker
output means it is a stand alone system for playing back music to many
speakers as in restaurant, grocery store etc.

Julian

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris F. Chris F. is offline

Let me guess, it works at much lower than normal 1 7/8 ips cassette speed?

Now you tell me.... I was working on it last night and noticed the low
speed, so I hooked up a frequency meter and calibrated the speed to a
standard 1 7/8 alignment cassette. I thought it was odd that the speed
adjustment had to be near maximum to play back a regular cassette....
Should I put it back the way I found it?
The unit just needs a bit of cleaning and lubrication in places, otherwise
it works great.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Chris F. wrote:
Let me guess, it works at much lower than normal 1 7/8 ips cassette speed?

Now you tell me.... I was working on it last night and noticed the low
speed, so I hooked up a frequency meter and calibrated the speed to a
standard 1 7/8 alignment cassette. I thought it was odd that the speed
adjustment had to be near maximum to play back a regular cassette....
Should I put it back the way I found it?

Probably not, because there is in fact no demand whatsoever for those
background music machines. If it will work with standard cassettes, you
are more apt to find someone with a use for it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
DC DC is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Should I put it back the way I found it?

Probably not, because there is in fact no demand whatsoever for those
background music machines. If it will work with standard cassettes, you
are more apt to find someone with a use for it.

IIRC, the machines Muzak used went backwards, too, therefore ensuring no
compatibilty with anything else.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris F. Chris F. is offline

If it interests you, here's your chance to buy this thing:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Probably a waste of time on my part, but it's worth a try.

"Chris F." wrote in message
Someone brought me a rather unusual tape deck yesterday. It says "MEI
Propac 4" (model C-1020) professional cassette deck. The front has buttons
for eject, power, and track select (1 to 4), as well as volume, stop,
play, and rewind. No FF or REC functions. The rear has speaker outputs for
4 ohm and 70V, bass and treble controls, and screw-on line input
terminals. It certainly looks like pro audio, but is it worth anything? I
couldn't find anything similar on Ebay to go by. I ask because I plan to
repair this and try selling it on there.
Thanks.

--
To reply via Email, remove NOSPAM from the address

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gutter Butt Gutter Butt is offline

Chris F. wrote:
If it interests you, here's your chance to buy this thing:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Probably a waste of time on my part, but it's worth a try.

I WISH YOU THE BEST MAN REALLY HOPE YOU CAN SELL IT I MEAN I PERSONALLY
THINK IT KIND OF LOOKS LIKE A COOL RETRO GADGET ALTHOUGH NOT ONE THAT I
PERSONALLY WANT UNLESS USING IT WITH A CHEAP SM-57 ALLOWS ME TO MORE
EASILY PICK UP THE NUANCES OF MY FARTS AND VARIOUS WET POO