Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe and Joann Joe and Joann is offline

Default Play from function in Pro Tools

I have been using pro tools free to learn the operations in Pro Tools 7
which I will soon be getting.

I am currently using Roland 2480 for recording and I frequently use a
function called "from" (also "thru" and "to".) The "from" function plays
a small segment of audio starting at the current playback cursor
position. h playback cursor can then be slighltly moved to find the
desired location. I use this function to find particular areas to be
fixed such as noises etc. Is there an equivalent function other than
scrub in pro tools?
Joe in Maui

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Romeo Rondeau wrote:
Joe and Joann wrote:

I have been using pro tools free to learn the operations in Pro Tools
7 which I will soon be getting.

I am currently using Roland 2480 for recording and I frequently use a
function called "from" (also "thru" and "to".) The "from" function
plays a small segment of audio starting at the current playback cursor
position. h playback cursor can then be slighltly moved to find the
desired location. I use this function to find particular areas to be
fixed such as noises etc. Is there an equivalent function other than
scrub in pro tools?
Joe in Maui

Yes.

I wonder if you could explain in a bit more detail?
Aloha Joe
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Joe and Joann wrote:
Romeo Rondeau wrote:
Joe and Joann wrote:

I have been using pro tools free to learn the operations in Pro Tools
7 which I will soon be getting.

I am currently using Roland 2480 for recording and I frequently use a
function called "from" (also "thru" and "to".) The "from" function
plays a small segment of audio starting at the current playback
cursor position. h playback cursor can then be slighltly moved to
find the desired location. I use this function to find particular
areas to be fixed such as noises etc. Is there an equivalent function
other than scrub in pro tools?
Joe in Maui

Yes.

I wonder if you could explain in a bit more detail?
Aloha Joe

Sure...

Go to ProTools Preferences under the Transport section and check the box
for "Play start marker follows timeline selection", then trim the
markers if necessary in the timeline or click in the timeline (you can
also select a region and move from there.) Everytime you hit the space
bar it will start from the new spot. Turn the loops function on and it
will continuously loop without having to hit the space bar changin as
you change the markers (providing that you chose to use them)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:07:09 -0400, Joe and Joann wrote
(in article ):

I have been using pro tools free to learn the operations in Pro Tools 7
which I will soon be getting.

I am currently using Roland 2480 for recording and I frequently use a
function called "from" (also "thru" and "to".) The "from" function plays
a small segment of audio starting at the current playback cursor
position. h playback cursor can then be slighltly moved to find the
desired location. I use this function to find particular areas to be
fixed such as noises etc. Is there an equivalent function other than
scrub in pro tools?
Joe in Maui

Hello Joe,

I'm not trying to sound condescending the. Please don't take this the wrong
way. Using Pro Tools Free to reference Pro Tools 7.3.1 is like learning to
drive a go cart so you can take any contemporary car out on the interstate.

PTFree is a very hobbled software that only runs on OS 9.

PTLE and PT both have scrub features that allow you to simply drag the cursor
over the file to hear it as you drag.

The cursor is sticky to the degree that when it hits a blip, it seems to
stick there a bit. Then you zoom into the wave form and do what you need to
to, including redrawing the waveform with the pencil tool.

I don't know how much you actually see of the waveform in the 2480, last I
tried it did that little loop, loop, loop thing. You get right down to the
sample level in PT and PTLE. Very quick, very exact.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RZJ9MptZmU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe and Joann Joe and Joann is offline

Aloha

Thanks for the inputs. Ty, you are of course correct in your comparison.
I am painfully awaree of this, but for now, the hope is that using the
free version to play with combined with on-line turorials will at least
get me familiar with some of the basics. I can do the rest when I get
the new system. Romeo, tried it and works, although PT free doesn't have
a "Play start marker follows timeline selection" that I could find.
Aloha Joe
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Joe and Joann wrote:
Aloha

Thanks for the inputs. Ty, you are of course correct in your comparison.
I am painfully awaree of this, but for now, the hope is that using the
free version to play with combined with on-line turorials will at least
get me familiar with some of the basics. I can do the rest when I get
the new system. Romeo, tried it and works, although PT free doesn't have
a "Play start marker follows timeline selection" that I could find.
Aloha Joe

Sorry, I didn't see the "free" part...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
peterdubbingmixer peterdubbingmixer is offline

On Aug 11, 10:50 pm, Romeo Rondeau wrote:
Joe and Joann wrote:
Aloha

Thanks for the inputs. Ty, you are of course correct in your comparison.
I am painfully awaree of this, but for now, the hope is that using the
free version to play with combined with on-line turorials will at least
get me familiar with some of the basics. I can do the rest when I get
the new system. Romeo, tried it and works, although PT free doesn't have
a "Play start marker follows timeline selection" that I could find.
Aloha Joe

Sorry, I didn't see the "free" part...

HI there
from memory as Im not at work the play up to / play across / play from
a transition are combinations of ctrl and up down left right arrows.
This is on a TDM and Ive no knowlege of free so it might not be there.
Peter

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Joe and Joann wrote:
Aloha

Thanks for the inputs. Ty, you are of course correct in your comparison.
I am painfully awaree of this, but for now, the hope is that using the
free version to play with combined with on-line turorials will at least
get me familiar with some of the basics. I can do the rest when I get
the new system. Romeo, tried it and works, although PT free doesn't have
a "Play start marker follows timeline selection" that I could find.
Aloha Joe

Sorry, I didn't see the "free" part...

HI there
from memory as Im not at work the play up to / play across / play from
a transition are combinations of ctrl and up down left right arrows.
This is on a TDM and Ive no knowlege of free so it might not be there.
Peter

SORRY - need to correct myself
the keys are

alt & apple right arrow plays across