Posted to rec.audio.pro
jtougas

Default Super Bowl Halftime

Apart from everything sounding like a train wreck, when did Mick
become Elmer Fudd?

On the other hand, there's no doubt there was no lip synching... Thank
God for small favors...
--
jtougas

"listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go" - e.e. cummings
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dr. Dolittle

jtougas wrote:
Apart from everything sounding like a train wreck, when did Mick
become Elmer Fudd?

On the other hand, there's no doubt there was no lip synching... Thank
God for small favors...

Yeah, mixer was horrible. But not as bad as the Stones. Good grief!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar

i've never heard guitars that out of tune before!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

In article .com,
Nate Najar wrote:
i've never heard guitars that out of tune before!

Okay, first of all, you have a band consisting of people who are profoundly
deaf, after many years in front of monitors blasting over huge backlines.

Secondly, these people spent decades taking every possible psychoactive
drug available, scraping their brains down to the rind.

This is a waltzing bear. The fact that they aren't performing well is
irrelevant. The fact that they can, after all this, still actually get
up on stage without being gaffer-taped into position is amazing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
greggery peccary

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
In article .com,
Nate Najar wrote:
i've never heard guitars that out of tune before!

Okay, first of all, you have a band consisting of people who are

profoundly
deaf, after many years in front of monitors blasting over huge backlines.

Secondly, these people spent decades taking every possible psychoactive
drug available, scraping their brains down to the rind.

This is a waltzing bear. The fact that they aren't performing well is
irrelevant. The fact that they can, after all this, still actually get
up on stage without being gaffer-taped into position is amazing.

The Stones have had major tonal issues at least since I saw them in '83 and
could barely decipher what songs they were playing... not as disappointing
as that game tho, what a farse!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Phillip" wrote ...
I would agree. That performance was hideous! I have heard high school
bands sound better than that! I can't believe that the sound was so
off.
It didn't even seem like they were trying.....Mick was doing little
more
than just talking somewhat in tune, the guitar levels were all over
the
place, and the drummer couldn't keep his tempo for ****. I like the
Stones
and all, but what a crappy half time show!

Perhaps this is why we have lip-syncing! :-)
Are they out playing retirement homes these days?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John L Rice

"greggery peccary" .@. wrote in message
The Stones have had major tonal issues at least since I saw them in '83
and
could barely decipher what songs they were playing... not as disappointing
as that game tho, what a farse!

Being from Seattle it's obvious I'm going to have issues with some of those
calls. I think is that the refs may have been 'strongly encouraged' by
people in power to favor the Steelers. If one of the Seahawks had been
tackled with the ball and was face down inches from that goal line, and then
shoved the ball over the goal line after the fact, and it had been called
good, I think there would of been some serious riots if the Seahawks had won
the game.

Official score 21 to 10 Steelers. Correct score 17 to 14 Seahawks!

John L Rice

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dr. Dolittle

John L Rice wrote:

Being from Seattle it's obvious I'm going to have issues with some of those
calls. I think is that the refs may have been 'strongly encouraged' by
people in power to favor the Steelers. If one of the Seahawks had been
tackled with the ball and was face down inches from that goal line, and then
shoved the ball over the goal line after the fact, and it had been called
good, I think there would of been some serious riots if the Seahawks had won
the game.

Official score 21 to 10 Steelers. Correct score 17 to 14 Seahawks!

That "pushing" call that negated the Seattle's first touchdown was
without doubt the lamest call I have ever seen. It seemed to go downhill
from there.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
greggery peccary

Default OT Super Bowl Halftime

"John L Rice" wrote in message
[...]

I saw several extremely bad calls. Reversed touchdown, and then an
unbelievable bad spot in the first q. and the one where they called "block
below the waist" on Hasselbeck for making a good tackle and them
Roflesburger getting away with an actual block below the waist on the very
next play. It was a bloody Pittsburgh love fest. Ya prevent riots, but is
there no such thing as pure competition? i can't wait until the first game
in Seattle next year when those refs get run outa town HA! *GROONK...PTUI*!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
elecbanana

Maybe it just the tv I was watching, but does nobody care about syncing
the audio and video anymore? I was watching the half-time show with a
bunch of people and yes, some people said, "man, they suck," however,
the question "is Mick Jager gay?" occured much more often. I didn't
hear anybody complain about the mix, out of tune guitars, or the fact
that they only showed the bass player and keyboard player if they
happened to be in the shot of somebody else. I'm not saying these
things aren't true, but more of how it was perceived. By the way, does
anybody know the name of that bass player? (bear with me, I'm a
youngin')

-Steve

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I've seen The Stones several times since 1980, and this didn't sound
different than any of those times. You could see Jagger thinking to
himself "OK, now I do the wing-flap. Now the strut. OK, gotta sing a
few lines now. Then I'll do the hair preen and stick my arm out. Now
I'll shout something" He's never not been the most un-natural
performer to be an icon. Completely graceless. The guitars are in
tune, but both Wood and Richard play out of tune and sloppy, with solos
that sound like it's the first time they've heard the song, and Watts
has always sounded like a jazz drummer trying to play rock.

It was lame but it's never really been much better. More interesting
than watching the usual Britney/Christina/Janet Superbowl fare.
Loved that ES355.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Iain Fraser

with all due - i agree that wasnt a score in hindsight - but the ref cant
reverse without conclusive evidence

"John L Rice" wrote in message
"greggery peccary" .@. wrote in message
The Stones have had major tonal issues at least since I saw them in '83
and
could barely decipher what songs they were playing... not as
disappointing
as that game tho, what a farse!

Being from Seattle it's obvious I'm going to have issues with some of
those calls. I think is that the refs may have been 'strongly encouraged'
by people in power to favor the Steelers. If one of the Seahawks had been
tackled with the ball and was face down inches from that goal line, and
then shoved the ball over the goal line after the fact, and it had been
called good, I think there would of been some serious riots if the
Seahawks had won the game.

Official score 21 to 10 Steelers. Correct score 17 to 14 Seahawks!

John L Rice

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jim

Pull yer head out of your ass! I went into this game calling the seahawks by
seven, even tho they was the underdog. the first quarter there was a fumble
that was called "incomplete" the seahawks kept posession even tho they
couldda lost the damn game right there. The only thing I can say about the
whole deal was defense on both sides was right on! the offense tho was a bit
lop sided, now who gets the blame for that? The LOSERS.
Mind you before ya blow a gasket, I wanted Seattle to win.

"John L Rice" wrote in message
"greggery peccary" .@. wrote in message
The Stones have had major tonal issues at least since I saw them in '83
and
could barely decipher what songs they were playing... not as
disappointing
as that game tho, what a farse!

Being from Seattle it's obvious I'm going to have issues with some of
those calls. I think is that the refs may have been 'strongly encouraged'
by people in power to favor the Steelers. If one of the Seahawks had been
tackled with the ball and was face down inches from that goal line, and
then shoved the ball over the goal line after the fact, and it had been
called good, I think there would of been some serious riots if the
Seahawks had won the game.

Official score 21 to 10 Steelers. Correct score 17 to 14 Seahawks!

John L Rice

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jim

Well thank goodness I had plenty of brews in da gutt b4 they came on. I was
busy watching the ass on the bar maid and digging the sounds but not the
entertainers. I don't think i need to see any more of ol big lip anyway.
. com...

"jtougas" wrote in message
Apart from everything sounding like a train wreck, when did Mick
become Elmer Fudd?

On the other hand, there's no doubt there was no lip synching... Thank
God for small favors...
--
jtougas

"listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go" - e.e. cummings

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Iain Fraser wrote:
Thing is - Watts is!!!

I know : ) But you'd think that after 50 odd years he'd sound less
like 3rd rate sub. I mean, I understand how his "swing" is part of
their sound, but geez, get back on the one after a fill once in a while
: ) And what's with those stumbly fills still coming from a guy who's
been playing for that long anyway? How can he possibly sound worse
than the guy in my high school band 40 years ago, who was terrible?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Charles Tomaras

"Jim" wrote in message
Pull yer head out of your ass! I went into this game calling the seahawks
by seven, even tho they was the underdog. the first quarter there was a
fumble that was called "incomplete" the seahawks kept posession even tho
they couldda lost the damn game right there.

There was bonefide contact on the way down and the rules are pretty clear on
that call. Unlike the touchdown that wasn't or the ****y interference call
that called back a TD reception. Will be curious to hear the final take on
those replays in the next day or so.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

the bassist is darrel jones.

hey, great set by the stones! i thought sprint was going to make that
available as a download. maybe it's a better mix.

great game, too!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
elecbanana

I never really got a good look at him. Darryl Jones? Like the guy who
played with Miles and Steps Ahead?!?! Dang, touring pop groups really
know how to find the great jazz/fusion rhythm section players!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
greggery peccary

wrote in message
oups.com...

Iain Fraser wrote:
Thing is - Watts is!!!

I know : ) But you'd think that after 50 odd years he'd sound less
like 3rd rate sub. I mean, I understand how his "swing" is part of
their sound, but geez, get back on the one after a fill once in a while
: ) And what's with those stumbly fills still coming from a guy who's
been playing for that long anyway? How can he possibly sound worse
than the guy in my high school band 40 years ago, who was terrible?

maybe they're all just trying hard not to upstage Mick...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia

The game was almost as bad as the Stones' TV mix.

Congrats to the Steelers.

And somebody should teach the Seahawks about running a pro 2 minute
drill. I'd been ripping out my hair if I were a Seattle fan at the end
of both halves.

Even the commercials weren't as interesting ... Aww, I'm just a spoiled
Pats fan having to watch other teams play in the Super Bowl.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

The Mix was very crappy at times. The Stones, however, are all about
imperfection and emotion. I've seen them twice, live. That's what they
do.They got balls, They have fun. They were theSex Pistols, The
Ramones, Nirvana, Metallica, Pearl Jam, the Green Day and the Kaiser
Chiefs of the 60sThey are the bridge between Muddy Waters and
everything rough and rockin' that has existed for 40 years. They rocked
before electronic tuners existed and I have to balance my John Mayer
records with the Rolling Stones just to keep from wanting to marry an
English Teacher.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tracy Wintermute

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 20:20:04 -0500, jtougas
wrote:

, when did Mick
become Elmer Fudd?

Haha! Thank you. I wondered if anyone else noticed that, or if my past
was haunting me.

====================
Tracy Wintermute

Rushcreek Ranch
====================
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jim

Well, I am legally blind. ;-) It's like looking through a soda straw. But if
that was contact, gee wiz ;-( a light touch on the side? I've been roughed
up a lot worse by toddlers during playtime. Yes it will be interesting to
see what takes place these next couple of days, yet I didn't "see" any
favoritism. I don't root for either team during season and the seahawks were
a pick only because I thought they could do it. Turns out they didn't.
Next year they might tho. we shall "see" (there's THAT word again;-( )

"John L Rice" wrote in message
"greggery peccary" .@. wrote in message
The Stones have had major tonal issues at least since I saw them in '83
and
could barely decipher what songs they were playing... not as
disappointing
as that game tho, what a farse!

Being from Seattle it's obvious I'm going to have issues with some of
those calls. I think is that the refs may have been 'strongly
encouraged' by people in power to favor the Steelers. If one of the
Seahawks had been tackled with the ball and was face down inches from
that goal line, and then shoved the ball over the goal line after the
fact, and it had been called good, I think there would of been some
serious riots if the Seahawks had won the game.

Official score 21 to 10 Steelers. Correct score 17 to 14 Seahawks!

John L Rice

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Lorin David Schultz

"elecbanana" wrote:

Maybe it just the tv I was watching, but does nobody care about
syncing the audio and video anymore?

Don't get me started...

Speaking of "just the TV I was watching" I'm wondering if anyone else
noticed these two things:

1. A nasty crackling on the left channel. Constant, not intermittent.
I was listening to ABC's HD feed, straight off the bird. If it was in
surround, what I got in my booth was a two-channel downmix.

2. A really, really weird phase thing on the crowd noise right after the
Stones finished. The line on the scope turned 90 degrees, which would
suggest that one side was polarity inverted, but it sounded MUCH
stranger than that. It wasn't subtle.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

How about the horrible mixing job during the pregame stuff? and those
guys dancing with white blind mans' canes...Stevie must have a good
sense of humor.But at least Aretha came to the rescue and kicked ass on
the second half of "Star spngled banner".
Bruce Yarock

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Brian

I thought it was pretty bad, but then again I have NEVER seen a
superbowl halftime performance that didn't suck.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Scott Dorsey wrote:

This is a waltzing bear. The fact that they aren't performing well is
irrelevant. The fact that they can, after all this, still actually get
up on stage without being gaffer-taped into position is amazing.

Or without a walker? I didn't see the game (intentionally) but went to
try out a new Afghan restaurant in the neighborhood, which was really
good. But the Stones (I guess that's who you're talking about) usually
get pretty good reviews for their live shows. I don't know what's the
matter with these live broadcast spectaculars but it seems like they
always promote discussions here about how bad the sound is.

I expected that traffic was going to be sparse Sunday evening (game
time was 6-9 PM here in the Eastern US) but it was just like any other
Sunday evening. Maybe fewer people cared since the Redskins weren't
playing. But the grocery stores were mobbed on Sunday afternoon.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Yeah, I'd like to see some of y'all "pro's" come out cold onto a stage
that was setup in 10 minutes in a stadium with awful acoustics and
multi tap delays up to 2000 ms while the crowd screams and whatever
sound check you did becomes useless. By the time you're halfway warmed
up you're done. It's more spectacle than performance anyway. Have to
say that Macca did a pretty damn good job last year. Then again he got
used to singing in stadiums with no monitors and barely any PA while
most if us weren't even in diapers.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Malachi

I didn't think it was as bad as all that, taking into account that the
monitor sound on stage probably was horrible, setup time was practically
nil, the whole set was barely long enough for even a young, spry artist to
warm up.

And taking into account that this is the STONES. They ain't pretty, they
don't sing or play well or even in tune, but they are raw, ranuchy and rock
'n roll.

Jeez, considering their ages and the physical abuse they've visited upon
themselves over the years, we're damn lucky they can manage a "G" chord and
a 4/4 beat, let alone play a complete song.

You want perfect? Wrong band.

malachi

"jtougas" wrote in message
Apart from everything sounding like a train wreck, when did Mick
become Elmer Fudd?

On the other hand, there's no doubt there was no lip synching... Thank
God for small favors...
--
jtougas

"listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go" - e.e. cummings

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Iain Fraser

i inderstand your point - but that doesnt explain why the guitar was OFF for
the 1st half of the 1st song!!!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Yeah, I'd like to see some of y'all "pro's" come out cold onto a stage
that was setup in 10 minutes in a stadium with awful acoustics and
multi tap delays up to 2000 ms while the crowd screams and whatever
sound check you did becomes useless. By the time you're halfway warmed
up you're done. It's more spectacle than performance anyway. Have to
say that Macca did a pretty damn good job last year. Then again he got
used to singing in stadiums with no monitors and barely any PA while
most if us weren't even in diapers.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Andy Eng

My sentiments, too...

If anything, the pyrotechnics at the end were pretty lame. Probably in
response to complaints from the athletes unable to breath from past
half time in-door extravaganzas.

My $0.02...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich

david correia wrote:

The game was almost as bad as the Stones' TV mix.

Who handled SR for the halftime show? Was it folks who'd ordinarliy be
providing that for the Stones, or some OB folks?

--
ha