Predrag Trpkov

wrote in message
ups.com...
Predrag,
Where can I get that Best of Bijelo Dugme CD you mentioned?
Those guys are awesome!

Thanks,
Gord

Probably all over ex-Yugoslavia. I bought mine in a supermarket in Rijeka.
Cost 69 Kn, under $12.

The original label is www.musicstar.co.yu
The croatian label www.menartrecords.com distributes it under license.

It's a compilation of the second part of their career, the last three
albums, after they left Jugoton (today Croatia Records) and formed their own
label. The original masters went missing after Goran Bregovic's flat in
Sarajevo got plundered during the war. He had to collect the copies from
radio station archives, friends etc. for this compilation. A few cuts were
transferred from vinyl, which brings us back to topic, hehehe.

I despised it at the time, it all sounded so archaic and decadent to my ears
full with U2 and Simple Minds. Too much folk. I can't get enough of it now.
World music.

Croatia Records reissued the first six or so albums, too.

Predrag

John Noll

Vinyl_Believer wrote:
I was listening to Live at Leeds on vinyl a few months back...... It
was not a great pressing but the music sounded great. What blew me away
was the way that Entwistle played like a bass and 2nd guitar part at
the same time. I did a double take with my ears......That group really
jived live.

VB

Check out the Who's segment on the Rolling Stone's Rock
& Roll Circus reissue DVD.

John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ

http://www.retromedia.net

reddred

"Vinyl_Believer" wrote in message
oups.com...

I can tell you through expericence that with transfers to 16/44, the
midrange really suffers regardless of the source. And I don't agree
with you that the rich midrange of vinyl is a result of lack of lows
and highs.

But everytime I bring up listening to vinyl on this newsgroup I get
attacked by people who haven't even heard a record in probably 20
years...... So pardon me if I over-reacted.

Well, for my 'two cents'... I still have a couple of dwindling shelves of
vinyl, I don't really do transfers, I either buy a cd re-release, burn a cd
of the metal cassette I made years ago, or, most often, I just listen to the
record.

I've said it before, theory and listening tests aside, for the vast majority
of listeneners, a CD has superior sound because they aren't as scratched up.
Depending on the player, you can mess up a CD really badly and still hear
every note in perfect clarity. A CD can get very dusty and you can still
hear every note in perfect clarity. And playing them on normal,
consumer-grade gear doesn't mess them up.

What sucks about CD's is that the art and lyric sheet is very small. But at
least they have some.

jb

Geoff Wood

"Vinyl_Believer" wrote in message
oups.com...
My apologies Geoff........ I thought you were criticizing the listener
for his enjoying the rich midrange of vinyl........ On another post you
observed the same as he...... "Didn't those early Telarcs have
beautiful sweet midrange on vinyl"

I can tell you through expericence that with transfers to 16/44, the
midrange really suffers regardless of the source. And I don't agree
with you that the rich midrange of vinyl is a result of lack of lows
and highs.

But everytime I bring up listening to vinyl on this newsgroup I get
attacked by people who haven't even heard a record in probably 20
years...... So pardon me if I over-reacted.

The point(s) I was , admittedly obliquely, try to make we

The early Telarcs were originally digital recordings, and 14-bitters at that
! Surely a digital playback from that digital master could be considered
definitive.

And if the vinyl playback has 'improved midrange sweetness' over the digital
playback (CD from same master) , then that sweetness is by definition
distortion from either the vinyl cutting, media properties, or playback
artifacts/equipment.

geoff

Eric Toline

The new Willie Nelson CD "Countryman" C&W lyrics with reggae rhythms,
lots of fun.

David Troxell - Encourager Software

In article .com,
says...

Vinyl_Believer wrote:

Just curious what the pro audio community is listening to these days
(professionally or for pleasure) that bends your ear.

Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Winter, Glass Harp (Phil Keaggy) guitar heros.

rd, Have you listened to Phil Keaggy since the Glass Harp days?

http://philkeaggy.com/

One of my all time favorites is the dueling solos between Phil on guitar and
Richard Souther (keyboards) on the extended live version of the song -
"Time" on the album - "How The West Was One by 2nd Chapter of Acts and Phil
Keaggy"

http://www.2ndchapterofacts.com/keaggy/

David

Casual listening: Who, Steppenwolf, Todd Snider, Zappa
(Jazz From Hell) and Spirit.

I've been transferring a lot of Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab records for a
client and today I transferred Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown (MFSL-1-018)

I hadn't hear Gordon Lightfoot for a while and what a tremendous
Balladeer he is! What a voice. Very nice productions too. Acoustic
guitars sound great, though some of the String section parts are a
little 70s syrupy.

Really enjoyed hearing him again. And hearing him on high quality vinyl
is the right way to hear the music, though I am biased...... MFSL
records really sound great and pretty cheap on Ebay...... here's their
catalog......http://www.aurealm.com/blue.htm

Of course that's what this thread is really about.
I try not to get hung up listening to converters
(or a stylus, as the case may be) and listen to
the music itself. Certainly for critical listening
this is imperative and for casual listening
irrelevant.

BTW..... A short while ago I transferred the entire MFSL Beatles
Collection. Almost a religious experience! Stunning clarity and
'presense'. You hear things that you've never heard before.

I should make an exception in the case of Abbey Road
since it's being used as a reference. Is there a
better version on CD I should have ?

rd

--
From David Troxell - Product Scope 32 PRO - Encourager Software
Email -
Arny Krueger

"Geoff Wood" wrote in message

The early Telarcs were originally digital recordings, and
14-bitters at that !

http://www.audioxpress.com/reviews/m...02galo2169.pdf

"Also noteworthy was the digital recording system used by
Telarc, the Soundstream
recorder designed by Dr. Thomas Stockham. Audiophiles were
clearly divided on the
merits of digital audio, and for years to come many would
proclaim the virtues of analog
sound. Indeed, many still do!

"One thing was certain, however. Stockham's Soundstream
recorder was well ahead of
other digital recording systems in use at that time. To
those of us who found Denon's digitally-
mastered LPs of that period excruciatingly bad, the
Soundstream recorder was a revelation,
making a strong case for the potential of digital audio.

"The Soundstream recorder was surprisingly advanced by late
1970s' standards. The
sampling frequency was 50kHz, higher than what would be
adopted a few years later for
the Compact Disc. In addition, the system offered 16-bit
performance at a time when anything
over 14-bits was thought to be impractical.

Surely a digital playback from that
digital master could be considered definitive.

Haven't all Telarc LPs been cut from digital recordings?

And if the vinyl playback has 'improved midrange
sweetness' over the digital playback (CD from same
master) , then that sweetness is by definition distortion
from either the vinyl cutting, media properties, or
playback artifacts/equipment.

It's a matter of someone in essence preferring a
re-mastering, not the superiority of LP media.

Scott Dorsey

In article , Geoff Wood wrote:

The early Telarcs were originally digital recordings, and 14-bitters at that
! Surely a digital playback from that digital master could be considered
definitive.

I thought the Stockham machine claimed 16 bits? I doubt it had 16
_monotonic_ bits, but I thought it at least stored 16.

Sheesh, now I gotta go look it up.

david correia

In article .com,
"RD Jones" wrote:

david correia wrote:

Just got "Live at Leeds." The reissue has a bunch of new songs on it.
Hadn't heard the album in years - was a fave of my roommate by in
college. Damn, Townshend's feel on lotsa that record is sooo perfect.
What a surprise to get off more on a guitar player's wonderful sense of
time than on their histrionics or soloing.

Really nice full kick drum sound from Moon too.

One of the All Time Best live recordings.
Heaven And Hell was the Who's show opener for
years and a Bside gem. Nice version on L@L.

Is the reissue you have a 2 CD with the whole
Tommy opera ?

rd

No, it's just one CD with the same cover as the original record, but
consists of 14 cuts.

I saw them do Tommy outside live at Tanglewood in western Mass around
the same time. Supposedly was their last US performance of it. Very
moving.

The opening act for the show was It's a Beautiful Day with a wild fiddle
player who's name is hiding in some part of my brain, followed by Jethro
Tull with Ian Anderson going nuts, and then Townshend and the Who. 3
very, very visual performers.

When the show was over it was pretty late and no one in the audience
wanted to go anywhere, as the place is pretty idyllic and you were miles
from anyplace, but the Tanglewood people were pretty interested in
getting all the damn hippies off the grounds.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
hank alrich

david correia wrote:

The opening act for the show was It's a Beautiful Day with a wild fiddle
player who's name is hiding in some part of my brain

David LaFlame

--
ha

Vinyl_Believer

That would have been July 7th 1970
..........http://www.thewho.net/concertguide/1970/
The Who is one band that I missed and regret. My sister did see their
infamous show in Atlanta 1975 where Moon was too messed to play and
they had someone from the audience sit in!

I used to see Jethro Tull whenever I could. Wild shows and rockin'
band........ Jethro Tull concert history here .........
http://www.ministry-of-information.c...etlist/70b.htm

Anyone else have old concert history links? It's a fun way for
oldtimers like me to mark dates.

VB

Chris Hornbeck

On 13 Aug 2005 23:40:07 -0700, "Vinyl_Believer"
wrote:

Anyone else have old concert history links? It's a fun way for
oldtimers like me to mark dates.

Not linkable, but was talking to another local recently,
and discovered that we'd both been to all of the shows
in that era, and both settled on the Golden Earring
show as the most story-worthy. The drummer did his
very dangerous leap *over* his drums all the way to
the stage floor, and injured himself.

They pulled the stage wash to black, but kept the follow
on the the guy for quite a while, as he tried to exit
house right, pretty much crawling.

We were pretty innocent of stagecraft thirty years ago,
but could understand a major ****up without coaching.

Except.... was it part of the show....?

Now *that* was an era,

Chris Hornbeck
Geoff Wood

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"The Soundstream recorder was surprisingly advanced by late 1970s'
standards. The
sampling frequency was 50kHz, higher than what would be adopted a few
years later for
the Compact Disc. In addition, the system offered 16-bit performance at a
time when anything
over 14-bits was thought to be impractical.

So how come Bop Till You Drop is so excruciatingly bad ?

geoff

Arny Krueger

"Geoff Wood" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"The Soundstream recorder was surprisingly advanced by
late 1970s' standards. The
sampling frequency was 50kHz, higher than what would be
adopted a few years later for
the Compact Disc. In addition, the system offered 16-bit
performance at a time when anything
over 14-bits was thought to be impractical.

So how come Bop Till You Drop is so excruciatingly bad ?

Is it bad? I have a copy and love the music.

Bop Till You Drop was done on a 3M recorder. The 3M
recorder required careful manual adjustment to be monotonic.
The non-monotic bits may be noticable if you look at the
recroding carefully with a DAW.

Geoff Wood

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

So how come Bop Till You Drop is so excruciatingly bad ?

Is it bad? I have a copy and love the music.

Bop Till You Drop was done on a 3M recorder. The 3M recorder required
careful manual adjustment to be monotonic. The non-monotic bits may be
noticable if you look at the recroding carefully with a DAW.

The music is 'tastic. It's just the drowning in quantisation noise that is
so annoying. You could even hear it on the LP.

I thought it was Soundstream, but know 3M rings a bell.

geoff

Scott Dorsey

In article , Geoff Wood wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

So how come Bop Till You Drop is so excruciatingly bad ?

Is it bad? I have a copy and love the music.

Bop Till You Drop was done on a 3M recorder. The 3M recorder required
careful manual adjustment to be monotonic. The non-monotic bits may be
noticable if you look at the recroding carefully with a DAW.

The music is 'tastic. It's just the drowning in quantisation noise that is
so annoying. You could even hear it on the LP.

I thought it was Soundstream, but know 3M rings a bell.

The Soundstream put two tracks on a U-Matic tape... you can think of it
as sort of an earlier version of the 1610 sort of thing.

The 3M machines started out with a two-track box, and I think they got all
the way up to a 32-track machine. These used 1" instrumentation transports
with fixed heads, as I recall.

Somewhere I have pieces of a Colossus around here. I keep meaning to
donate it to the AES historical guys, if I can find it. It's in the
garage somewhere.
nmm

reddred wrote:
"nmm" wrote in message
ups.com...

reddred wrote:

Let's Active - 'Cypress/Afoot'

Is that on the album that came out in the 80s? I had "every word means
no" in my itunes folder for the last few months. Great band Mitch
Easter.

Yeah, 'Cypress/Afoot' is the 'Cypress' LP combined with the 'Afoot' EP,
which that song comes from. Cypress is one of those 'desert island discs'
for me.

Any idea what Mitch Easter is up to these days?.. I remember that video
for "Waters Part" where he had every cool guitar in one video.

Swell Maps,

Havent heard that in awhile! Are those records in print?

http://www.alive-totalenergy.com/SwellMaps.html

I didn't realise that they were but they are.

jb

reddred

"nmm" wrote in message
oups.com...

reddred wrote:
"nmm" wrote in message
ups.com...

reddred wrote:

Let's Active - 'Cypress/Afoot'

Is that on the album that came out in the 80s? I had "every word

means
no" in my itunes folder for the last few months. Great band Mitch
Easter.

Yeah, 'Cypress/Afoot' is the 'Cypress' LP combined with the 'Afoot' EP,
which that song comes from. Cypress is one of those 'desert island

discs'
for me.

Any idea what Mitch Easter is up to these days?.. I remember that video
for "Waters Part" where he had every cool guitar in one video.

I think he's mixing in a studio in North Carolina

jb

RD Jones

David Troxell - Encourager Software wrote:

rd, Have you listened to Phil Keaggy since the Glass Harp days?

http://philkeaggy.com/

Sure, Phil has been quite prolific in his solo career.

I have seen a few of the (Glass Harp) reunion shows over
the years, most recently one in Nashville, and another a
few years earlier in Akron.
Phil was the first person I saw perform live playing a guitar,
we were in grade school and he was a couple years ahead of me.

One of my all time favorites is the dueling solos between Phil on guitar and
Richard Souther (keyboards) on the extended live version of the song -
"Time" on the album - "How The West Was One by 2nd Chapter of Acts and Phil
Keaggy"

Yes, I have heard that one but I don't have the CD.
It's typical of his approach to playing in a band.
Most of the old Harp shows were heavy on 'jamming'.
Check out the "Live at Carnegie Hall" release.

rd

david correia

In article .com,
"Vinyl_Believer" wrote:

That would have been July 7th 1970
.........http://www.thewho.net/concertguide/1970/
The Who is one band that I missed and regret. My sister did see their
infamous show in Atlanta 1975 where Moon was too messed to play and
they had someone from the audience sit in!

I used to see Jethro Tull whenever I could. Wild shows and rockin'
band........ Jethro Tull concert history here .........
http://www.ministry-of-information.c...etlist/70b.htm

Anyone else have old concert history links? It's a fun way for
oldtimers like me to mark dates.

VB

Thanks for the links! Damn am I old! ;

There are some for Hendrix as well. But I know one of them has at least
one mistake it has on it - a show at Brown U. in Providence in 1968 that
is listed as happening in Worcester, MA. Jimi came back to Providence in
1969 where I got to experience him live.

I never heard about the Brown show til after it had happened. (Hey, I
was in high school, not college.) About 5 years ago I met the guy who
did the live sound for the Brown show. He still hasn't gotten over it.

Said Jimi casually walked onto the small stage to a hail of joints. He
reached down, picked one up, lit it, took a big hit and thanked the
crowd. Then tore into the first song.

At the end of it, while everyone was applauding and screaming, he walked
over to this poor guy, who was set up right on the side of the stage.
Jimi screamed at him that if he didn't turn the ****ing sound up, he was
leaving.

For you kiddies, in 1968 a rock show's PA's were nothing like they are
today, especially in a smallish college gym. All this guy had was a
simple mixer, amp and a pair of speakers. He'd already been ****ting his
pants during the first song cuz of the volume. And the poor guy had no
backup gear at all. If that amp fried, the show was over.

He had no choice. With Hendrix staring right at him, he turned it upand
started to pray for his life as Hendrix banged into the second tune.
Lucky for him, it never blew.

I heard this story from him about 30 years after it happened. And you
could tell the guy was still shaking a little while he told it.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Don Pearce

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 03:14:59 -0400, david correia wrote:

For you kiddies, in 1968 a rock show's PA's were nothing like they are
today, especially in a smallish college gym. All this guy had was a
simple mixer, amp and a pair of speakers. He'd already been ****ting his
pants during the first song cuz of the volume. And the poor guy had no
backup gear at all. If that amp fried, the show was over.

He had no choice. With Hendrix staring right at him, he turned it upand
started to pray for his life as Hendrix banged into the second tune.
Lucky for him, it never blew.

I heard this story from him about 30 years after it happened. And you
could tell the guy was still shaking a little while he told it.

Are you sure about this story? It doesn't sound like the Hendrix I met. He
would have found himself an acoustic guitar and carried on that way. Maybe
his attitude was different here in Britain where he was given his big
break.

David Troxell - Encourager Software

In article .com,
says...

David Troxell - Encourager Software wrote:

rd, Have you listened to Phil Keaggy since the Glass Harp days?

http://philkeaggy.com/

Sure, Phil has been quite prolific in his solo career.

I have seen a few of the (Glass Harp) reunion shows over
the years, most recently one in Nashville, and another a
few years earlier in Akron.
Phil was the first person I saw perform live playing a guitar,
we were in grade school and he was a couple years ahead of me.

rd, oh, you and Phil go Way Back! g I remember years ago at a concert at
Disney World (probably Night of Joy series), how gracious he was in helping
what was probably a last minute bass player replacement, who wasn't familiar
with one of the songs in the 2nd set - playing a basic chord fingering to
teach him the song. g

One of my all time favorites is the dueling solos between Phil on guitar and
Richard Souther (keyboards) on the extended live version of the song -
"Time" on the album - "How The West Was One by 2nd Chapter of Acts and Phil
Keaggy"

Yes, I have heard that one but I don't have the CD.
It's typical of his approach to playing in a band.
Most of the old Harp shows were heavy on 'jamming'.
Check out the "Live at Carnegie Hall" release.

I see what you mean "Can You See Me" [28:56] - I'm sure a lot more musical
than some of those mindless Grand Funk Railroad never ending jams! g

David

--
From David Troxell - Product Scope 32 PRO - Encourager Software
Email -

david correia

Don Pearce wrote:

[...]

The guy who told it also owned what was probably the only recording
studio in Rhode Island at the time (on Reservoir Avenue in Cranston).

I had no doubt he wasn't shootin' the ****.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Scott Dorsey

Vinyl_Believer wrote:

The Benchmarks sound great and I'd hardly call them 'bargin' units. But
I will aspire for a Prism. .... What converters are you using btw.

You're saying that when you record into the thing from vinyl, the output
sounds lifeless in comparison with the input. I would not call that
"great." In fact, I would call that unacceptable, personally.

Most of the time these days I am using the Prism AD-124, but I will say
that the higher end Lavry converters are just as good, and the Meitner
stuff is also impressive. I went with the Prism over the others mostly
because of the ability to dither down to 16 bits accurately in the box
without having to go through any more hardware.

One thing I've found in my transferring is how much difference
converters do make. But I find, as Paul Stamler once pointed out, that
the better the quality converters the more I can hear the flaws in
16/44. (lack of accurate representaion of freq. ranges and loss of
dimension) are quite evident to my ears. 24/96 is MUCH better but I can
still hear a difference from the source.

What about 16/96? What about 24/44?

The sad part is that the general public is listening to real crap with
most 16/44 CD setups. But I'm not sure they give a crap anyway.

Yes, but most of that is due to source material issues, which are so severe
that they override any other concerns.
Vinyl_Believer

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Vinyl_Believer wrote:

The Benchmarks sound great and I'd hardly call them 'bargin' units. But
I will aspire for a Prism. .... What converters are you using btw.

You're saying that when you record into the thing from vinyl, the output
sounds lifeless in comparison with the input.

The Benchmarks sound great at 24/96 as I originally stated. At 16/44 I
hear resolution problems.... 'Lifeless' was your slant, but I'll agree
with your description.

I would not call that "great." In fact, I would call that
unacceptable, personally.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Most of the time these days I am using the Prism AD-124, but I will say
that the higher end Lavry converters are just as good, and the Meitner
stuff is also impressive. I went with the Prism over the others mostly
because of the ability to dither down to 16 bits accurately in the box
without having to go through any more hardware.

I've heard both, and I'd agree that they are superior to the benchmark
and mytek. Very smooth..... Have not heard the Meitner stuff.

One thing I've found in my transferring is how much difference
converters do make. But I find, as Paul Stamler once pointed out, that
the better the quality converters the more I can hear the flaws in
16/44. (lack of accurate representaion of freq. ranges and loss of
dimension) are quite evident to my ears. 24/96 is MUCH better but I can
still hear a difference from the source.

What about 16/96? What about 24/44?

Ask Paul Stamler. That's who you're responding too.

The sad part is that the general public is listening to real crap with
most 16/44 CD setups. But I'm not sure they give a crap anyway.

Yes, but most of that is due to source material issues, which are so severe
that they override any other concerns.
--scott

Couldn't agree with you more. But who's responsible for this junk?
......... This is a pro audio waterinig hole. Does the Buck Stop Here?

VB