bluesrock03

Opinions may vary but I think Jimmy Page deserves to be mentioned.

Tommy B wrote:
Jim, if you are putting Arif and Jerry in, don't exclude Tommy Dowd.
Tom

"Jim Klein" wrote in message
om...
Hi RAP'ers -

I'm developing the syllabus and curriculum for a course I'll be
teaching in the Spring called "Survey of Modern Production
Techniques", which will look at the evolution of modern record
production from the late 50's/early 60's up to the present day. With
two classes per week over a ten week term, I think there will be some
opportunity to look at many of the important producers and their
work, to listen and analyze what made each one important to the
advancement of the art. I'm compiling a list of important producers
and records, and I'd love to get some input from you guys. I'm
trying to keep my personal taste out of it, which is why I've
included David Foster, for example. While I'm not fond of most of
his productions, I do believe that he helped shape the sound of pop
music in the late 70's and 80's (acoustic piano doubled with Rhodes,
anyone?). Anyway, I'd appreciate any input from you guys.
Eventually, I would like to weed the list down to 20 -25 producers
with 1-3 songs each, and really try to quantify each one's
contribution. Here's my list so far:

Les Paul
Jerry Wexler
George Martin
Berry Gordy
Joe Meek
Phil Spector
Brian Wilson
George Massenberg
Waronker/Titleman
George Clinton
Brian Eno
Daniel Lanois
Prince
Teddy Riley
Rick Rubin
Arif Mardin
David Foster
Mutt Lange
Bill Laswell
Trevor Horn

I have no agenda here, other than to get this right and give the kids
the best class for their money, so feel free to disagree with my
choices and offer better ones. Thanks a bunch for the help

Jim Klein
Assistant Professor, Music Industry
Drexel University

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 11:47:08 -0400, bluesrock03
wrote:
Opinions may vary but I think Jimmy Page deserves to be mentioned.

Why did you include *name of producer you think is overrated*

But not *name of producer you think is under appreciated*

Any list like this needs to be finite. Moreover, even Classical
musicians ebb and flow in their perceived "greatness."

A satirical book on the subject put it this way: "There are four
musicians who qualify as "Great".. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and your
personal favorite."

I'd wager the same rule applies here.

Dan Chamberlain

Bob Clearmountain
Tony Visconti

are important to me also.....

Dan Chamberlain

Bob Clearmountain
Tony Visconti

are important to me also.....

Eric K. Weber

Why are only Pop and Jazz producers included.....

Rgds:
Eric

Eric K. Weber

Why are only Pop and Jazz producers included.....

Rgds:
Eric

Les Cargill

Eric K. Weber wrote:

Why are only Pop and Jazz producers included.....

Rgds:
Eric

Pop and jazz have a much more critical dependency on
recording technology than other forms.

--
Les Cargill

EganMedia

Don't forget the invaluable contributions of Jacob Roney!

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com

play on

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 03:05:18 GMT, Les Cargill
wrote:

Those guys were mostly consistent with the mores of the time. We
can't sit here and assume we know better just because we can review
the accumulated work and pick favorites.

And why can't we??? Standing the test of time is the *ultimate* way
to evaluate music and musical production I'd say. Some recordings
remain timeless while others sound impossibly dated and hack.

Al

play on

We should maybe include some of the better-known Jamaican producers on
this list. People like Lee Perry and King Tubby have been incredibly
influential on a younger generation of producers and musicians. It
could be argued that Lee Perry practically invented trip-hop... he was
also responsible for Bob Marley really finding his sound (Marley stole
Perry's house rhythm section). Many contemporary productions owe a
large debt to Jamaican dub music... those guys knew how to make
mononaural recordings sound huge.

Al

On 30 Sep 2004 23:15:56 -0700, (Mikey) wrote:

Jim Klein wrote in message ...
Just so everyone is clear, the focus of the course is going to be on
producers who had an impact on how records were made, primarily on studio
technique. Les Paul is important as a pioneer in overdubbing, for example.
I'm in the process of researching some of the important breakthroughs, so
I'd appreciate it if anyone that is intimately familiar with some of this
history share that knowledge.... I am having a hard time pinpointing just
who figured out things like doubling, varispeeding (Ross Bagdazarian,
maybe?), using room mics, recording tons of background vocal tracks and then
bouncing... There are so many of these techniques that are now taken for
granted.

of late:

Trent Reznor (I hated most NIN, but do respect Reznor's work as
producer) Can't forget about Dre, either.

I wholeheartedly agree with the Templeman choice. Most of the early
'70's Warner Bros. catalog is stunning, IMO.

Philly Soul should be represented, IMO, as should Nashville in the
early 90's. 80's new wave/pop, also - the uses of synths, drum
machines, sequencers. Cool thread.

Mikey Wozniak
Nova Music Productions
This sig is haiku

Bob Olhsson

"Jim Klein" wrote in message
om...
Phil Spector
Brian Wilson

Bob Olhsson

"Jim Klein" wrote in message
om...
Phil Spector
Brian Wilson

Scott Dorsey

play on playonATcomcast.net wrote:

He was influential in his era but the stuff didn't stand the test of
time...

What was significant about Mitch wasn't the stuff he did, but the stuff
that he prevented from being done....

docsavage

I think a nod should goto

+ Eddie Offord
Ian Anderson
++ Frank Zappa (and most of those involved)

ds

--

"Dan Chamberlain" wrote in
message news:lug7d.302241$Fg5.267421@attbi_s53...

are important to me also.....

david

Nobody said Jimmy Miller.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
david

Nobody said Jimmy Miller.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com

Paul Stamler

Joe Boyd.
John Simon [he produced "The Band", an album whose sound was copied
wholesale for several years].
Bill Leader.

Peace,
Paul Stamler

Myles

For lots of imitated studio techniques (or at least sonic techniques), you
might want to think about the Mitchell Froom/Tchad Blake partnership
(although I think TB had more to do with the sound).

And Steve Albini has had an impact on how things have been done in the past
ten years.

I also second the poster who recommended Chet Atkins.

Myles

"Jim Klein" wrote in message
[...]

Mike Rivers

In article playonATcomcast.net writes:

He was influential in his era but the stuff didn't stand the test of
time...

I think that the important thing about Mitch Miller is that before
him, there really was no role of "producer" as we know it today. The
producer was just a bean counter whose only role in getting the record
out was to pay the people who were involved. Miller wrote parts,
hired musicians, conducted musicians, probably even played on some
sessions.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Les Cargill

wrote:

Those guys were mostly consistent with the mores of the time. We
can't sit here and assume we know better just because we can review
the accumulated work and pick favorites.

And why can't we??? Standing the test of time is the *ultimate* way
to evaluate music and musical production I'd say. Some recordings
remain timeless while others sound impossibly dated and hack.

Al

Because we can't. We just apply a different set of prejudices.

There are probably a very few, very weak inter subjective absolutes
in music recording, but it's a cultural artifact and not likely to
be amenable to canceling out all possible observer bias.

Some of those old recordings don't make sense unless you played 'em
back on commonly available equipment. Old jukeboxes still make 'em
sound good.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about minimalist/documentary
styles of recording. In those, there's a way to compare the
inputs and outputs.

--
Les Cargill

playon

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 06:20:35 GMT, "Paul Stamler"
wrote:

Joe Boyd.
John Simon [he produced "The Band", an album whose sound was copied
wholesale for several years].

It's a great record, but who copied it at that time? I don't recall
many other records sounding like that in the 70s... no compression, no
studio reverb, etc.

Al

hank alrich

david wrote:

Nobody said Jimmy Miller.

Smack 'em up 'side the head!

--
ha
hank alrich

david wrote:

Nobody said Jimmy Miller.

Smack 'em up 'side the head!

--
ha
Paul Stamler

wrote:

Joe Boyd.
John Simon [he produced "The Band", an album whose sound was copied
wholesale for several years].

It's a great record, but who copied it at that time? I don't recall
many other records sounding like that in the 70s... no compression, no
studio reverb, etc.

From about 1969 through about 1971, there was a whole rash of records trying
to imitate The Band in many respects, including vocal intonation (which
usually sounded silly) and recording technique (which didn't). I remember
reading an interview with Fairport Convention's engineer where he said that
on their albums from that period he was always wanting to sneak a little EW
or reverb onto, say, a drum track, and "I was always having Levon Helm
thrown back at me." Some of the Pub-Rock bands in England recorded that way
for a while too. Not necessarily without compression, but with little reverb
and EQ. I remember some Brinsley Schwarz records that sounded very
un-messed-with. By about 1972 people had resumed their former habits.

Peace,
Paul