Lars Farm

TS wrote:

Is there a piece of s/w that does this 1 minute track split automatically
(with no gaps)? Where can I get it?

Amadeus II does this. 1) open wav or aiff or ... 2) selection/generate
marks, set first mark and intervall between marks 3) selection/split
according to marks. Then drag all fragments into playlist in iTunes (or
Toast or Jam...) set pauses to 0 which at least Jam and iTunes can do,
and click "burn".

Lars

--
lars farm // http://www.farm.se
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

My practical advice is to work out something with the church where
you'll be "paid" for your time at a professional rate in a documented
equivalent cash contribution that you can use to reduce your income
tax. Then do the job that's required.

My understanding is these sort of arrangements violate IRS regulations.
If you know of a way to do this that is considered acceptable by the
IRS, I would be very happy to hear it.

Ask your tax accountant about donation of "in kind" services. You
don't want to get too absurd about it - it has to be a service that
the church would pay for if you didn't offer to do it without cash
payment. And you probably would get questioned if you charged
$150/hour for four hours a week and wrote it off as a donation, but
you could get something out of it. In some instances, you may have to
actually get paid and then donate that payment to the church. That's
documentation in itself. Again, the fee has to be reasonable.

There's an exception for an "everybody does it" case, like I can't
deduct $500 per day for running sound at a stage at an all-volunteer
folk festival.

In case I ever again make enough
money to owe income tax (I am a telecom/.com casualty, still looking for
a way to make a living after 3 years).

Well, that's a problem. You need some taxable income in order to
realize the benefits of charitable donations. Otherwise you're just
being charitable, and there's nothing wrong with that. But don't let
it take over your life (as a friend of mine does, all too often).

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Ricky W. Hunt

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

There's no getting around it - taking a raw recording and turning it
into something consumer-friendly takes time. That's what recording
engineers get paid for. The problem with a church gig is that it's
rarely a paying gig, so there's a temptation to try to find timesaving
shortcuts.

I would say his "service" has value and that could be his contribution (as
in "tithes") versus giving money.

George

it has to be a service that
the church would pay for if you didn't offer to do it without cash
payment. And you probably would get questioned if you charged
$150/hour for four hours a week and wrote it off as a donation, but
you could get something out of it. In some instances, you may have to
actually get paid and then donate that payment to the church. That's
documentation in itself. Again, the fee has to be reasonable.

of course you can write off the donation but you need to also list the
"actually get paid" as income
it becomes a wash
George

Phil Nelson

Ben Bradley wrote:
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 00:16:38 GMT, Phil Nelson
wrote:

Paul Stamler wrote:

"TS" wrote in message

The main weakness is track start times. A church service probably won't have
enough real silence to trigger automatic start IDs, and even if it does,

I don't know how anyone can get this right, especially with a Pastor
that doesn't follow the outline reliably, or doesn't even have one.

Does he not follow the Order Of Service? Is it an option to get a
new minister?
I forget what model CDR recorder we have, but the main complaint I
have is that the track-increment button is on the remote, and there's
no such button on the recorder's front panel.

No, he doesn't always follow the order of service. Guest speakers often
don't even have one. I may have a minority view in this, but I think the
whole point of having technology is that he doesn't have to. My view is
that if the technology won't work with the Pastor, then we need to get
new technology, not a new Pastor.

What I do is digitally record the entire service and cut everything
but the sermon in editing. That way I don't miss anything, and I can
find the right place for track breaks. Sometimes time-consuming, but
at least possible. Also, I always find something that needs adjusting,
like the Pastor clapping in front of his lapel mic.

There's a program that makes this incredibly fast, it's at
cdwave.com. Also, if you use the "save .cue file" feature and then
load the .cue file in a CD burner program that recognizes it, you'll
be amazed that you can split and hour's worth of 20 tracks in as
little as ten minutes or less. If you're going record on hard disk or
rip the CDR to a PC anyway, it's well worth using it.

Thanks for the pointer. I have been using CDwave for recording, but I
started with Audacity so that's what I am used to for editing. I will
look at the CDwave site more carefully.

Not insuperable challenges, but things to think about. Of coure, you could
record on CD-R, clean up in a PC, then duplicate.

If I could, I would do a digital recording and a "live" CD, so anyone in
a hurry could get the CD the same day, and if I didn't have time to do
the editing, there would still be a CD available the next week. Too bad
we can't afford the equipment.

I don't see equipment cost as a problem. We record our services on

As it happens, it's not necessarily a problem. I was thinking of the
impossibility of getting budget to buy a CD recorder, but the PC we
already have could do this job. I just didn't think of using it that
way.

CDR, when there's been a special musical service, I've ripped it on my
computer at home, adjusted levels/cut silence as appropriate, split
tracks with cdwave and made copies for participants and to replace the
original CDR. I've thought about recording to an older PC (a 200MHz
machine is fine for recording a stereo CD data rate), but the problems
1. the idea of adding a PC and monitor to the rack of equipment,
and what it would look like (an LCD monitor would look better, but
they cost actual money), and

For us, there is already a Power Point PC, so, no big deal.

2. the idea that when I'm not there (either not at the service, or
worse, up front singing) and someone else does sound (a volunteer who
may barely know how to get sound), do they really need to learn to run
some DAW software as well as everything else they need to do? I'm
moving away, so I won't be doing sound here regularly for much longer.
OTOH, this is a UU congregation (smalish, not much money) that for
some reason has DSL (probably for last-minute sermon research...),
WiFi, and a separate server machine (others handle all this, I have no
involvement), so why not have the service recorded to hard disk as
well as CDR, and put the machine on the network? Furthermore, I just
met Our New Sound Guy who seems very qualified to do all this.

I do this. We have a server for the office, I keep MP3s of the sermons
on it for anyone in the office to listen to. Fortunately I have a fast
DSL at home to upload the files after I edit them.

--
Phil Nelson

Phil Nelson

Phil Nelson wrote:
Ben Bradley wrote:

Does he not follow the Order Of Service? Is it an option to get a
new minister?
I forget what model CDR recorder we have, but the main complaint I
have is that the track-increment button is on the remote, and there's
no such button on the recorder's front panel.

No, he doesn't always follow the order of service. Guest speakers often

Sorry, I wasn't paying attention when I wrote that. I meant he doesn't
follow the sermon outline. The order of service is another issue. Mostly
that is followed. But, I still wind up with 45 minutes of sermon, which
is a lot to FF through on a CD player. So break it into tracks (usually
about 7). But I want the tracks to have some logical relation to the
sermon outline, or the content if the outline isn't followed exactly,
and getting that right just can't be done live, as far as I can tell.

I suppose my method may be unusual, I developed it more or less from
scratch, with no idea what anyone else is doing, using all open-source
software (except for Windows XP, because they wouldn't go for Linux).

--
Phil Nelson

John Phillips

I have been using CD Wave Editor for a while and find it to be great. Last
night, after reading this topic, I discovered that it could do the 1 minute
splits. It is extremely easy to use and is $15 to register.

www.cdwave.com

John

"TS" wrote in message

"Patrick Dunford" wrote in message
. nz...
In article in rec.audio.pro on
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 15:24:44 +0000 (UTC), TS says...
Hi,

I need to find a new way to record our church services. Currently we

use
tapes which are poor quality as the decks are old and worn and also,

they
can only be duplicated is real time or the tapes can be run at double

speed
to reduce this time.

We now need better quality and more omportantly we need to speed the
process.

I was thinking of getting a CD Recorder such as the Denon CDR-1500 or

the
Pioneer PDR-609 to take an anolog feed from the mixing console (Allen

and
Heath GL2000) and record to CDR. Then to get a CD Duplicator to copy

this
onty several CDs at a time.

Am I on the right track here? I am reluctant to go to the complexity

of
using a PC for recording.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

The biggest issue with CDs is, ho hum, you can't just stop a CD and come
back to it later like you can with a tape.

The next best solution is to split the whole recording into 1 minute
tracks, which can be done with some readily available software.

Other than that, it's a good plan, being used by lots of churches now.

Is there a piece of s/w that does this 1 minute track split automatically
(with no gaps)? Where can I get it?

Cheers

John Phillips

I use the RNC for my recording because some preachers can get "strong" in
words. It also helps intelligibility by leveling the volume. I would
definitely use it.

John

"TS" wrote in message

"Leoaw3" wrote in message
Will you be wanting the duplicate CDs immediately after the service? If

so,
then recording directly to CD makes more sense. If not, you might

consider a
hard disk recorder or integrated unit like the Alesis Masterlink which

can
record in 24 bit, and copy down onto CD. Having the extra bit depth

would
help
if the recording level was set too low, or if you needed more headroom.

Remember, recording digitally does not have the same forgiving qualities

as
tape. If your levels go too high - you distort. period.

-lee-

Thanks,
The requirement is for them to be available asap on the Sunday which is

why
I am keen on recording dirently to CD.
I had forgottem about the clipping of high levels. We already use a
compressor for the tapes, maybe I need another one after this to limit the
signal further.

Cheers
TS

Ricky W. Hunt

"John Phillips" wrote in message
. com...
I use the RNC for my recording because some preachers can get "strong" in
words. It also helps intelligibility by leveling the volume. I would
definitely use it.

We once had a discussion here over what ratios worked better with different
types of preachers. I recommend limiting for fire and brimstone and
expansion for sermons on hermeneutics which can tend to be kind of "dry" and
undynamic.

Patrick Dunford

In article m in
rec.audio.pro on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:47:08 GMT, John Phillips jsp5646
@hotmail.com says...
I never thought of the 1 minute tracks, interesting. What is the name of
the software package that will do this?

A shareware package called CD Wave Audio Editor by Mike Looijmans will do
it. I guess some others will too.

Some of our people just want the sermon while some want the full service
(especially the music) so I cut the service into three tracks.

1. Start of service to sermon
2. Sermon
3. After sermon to the end of service.

I then make the sermon track 1 with the other two following.

The real issue is to be able to get quickly to wherever you stopped the
CD to carry on playing it. Track skipping is faster than holding down the
Fast Forward button.

Patrick Dunford

In article in rec.audio.pro on
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:57:09 +0000 (UTC), TS says...

[...]

CD Wave Audio Editor (shareware), Split at Intervals and set the interval
to 1 minute.

Gaps are a matter for your burning software. 2 second gaps are inserted
automatically if you burn in TAO. No gaps if you burn in DAO/SAO

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

wrote:

Paul Stamler wrote:

"TS" wrote in message

[...]

That's common in churches of an Evangelical stripe, particularly when
there's only a single service. One of my many sisters used to do four
services as worship leader. The early services had to go like
clockwork, lest there be an untenable situation in the parking lot.

The late service didn't need to be and occasionally was VERY long.

Arny Krueger

"Sugarite" wrote in message

The problem of many older people not having CD players is a valid
one, and a way to treat that is to ask the congregation and perhaps
place a classified ad asking for obselete but working CD players,
since they're not worth $20 these days, and folks generally come
through. BUT ** make sure they can play burned CD-R's ** before
giving them out.

If you look at the cost of replacing a tape duplicator and tape recorders,
you may find that you can afford to simply buy a fair number of inexpensive
CD players and give them away to the people who can't or won't buy one for
themselves.

Peter Larsen

TS wrote:

Hi,

I need to find a new way to record our church services.

If you multi-post instead of cross-posting, then at least tell us that
you so do, so that it is possible to follow up in the most relevant
forum.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Peter Larsen

Leoaw3 wrote:

Will you be wanting the duplicate CDs immediately after the service?
If so, then recording directly to CD makes more sense.

I don't understand why. Also I think that the CD-recorder ploy, if
chosen, will be abandoned on the first vibration caused write error that
renders a CD useless. The computer will still be used for high speed
duplication, not also using it as the recording device will be to double
the cost of the required setup.

Remember, recording digitally does not have the same forgiving qualities as
tape. If your levels go too high - you distort. period.

Just what is the difference? - a single digital clip is no more audible
than a single power amp clip and you surely do not have the useless 10
dB zone without full frequency range and with gradually increased
muddying, what you have is there for your full use.

-lee-

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Peter Larsen

"Ricky W. Hunt" wrote:

"TS" wrote in message

Am I on the right track here? I am reluctant to go to the
complexity of using a PC for recording.

This is a side note but I've just run into a problem with this.
I don't know about your church but most churches tend to have
a preponderance of older people, many of which do not have
CD players.

True, not all people have CD players. The un-zoned chinesoid dvd-players
over here are generally DKK 450 in the shops and - on sale - DKK 250, it
should translate to a USD 29.95 price range over your way. Portable
players are as I recall it available in the same price range.

I was stunned at how many didn't. You might want to check on
this before you make the switch because you WILL SURELY hear
about it.

The technology switch should not be insurmountable with the low cost of
a player, but it may need due preparation so as to insure acceptance.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Ty Ford

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 07:01:08 -0400, Peter Larsen wrote
(in article ):

Leoaw3 wrote:

[...]

That being said. The Sony w33 and w66 dedicated cd recorders have input
limiters and do pretty well in that situation.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com