Thomas Althouse

Default Amp for a Telecaster?

What's a good amp for a telecaster? Studio use and small venues will be the
applications.

And would you use a modeling box with a more "ordinary", stripped down amp?

Thanks to all.

Tom eh!

John Washburn

"Thomas Althouse" wrote in message
What's a good amp for a telecaster? Studio use and small venues will be

the
applications.

What kind of music?

And would you use a modeling box with a more "ordinary", stripped down

amp?

I probably wouldn't. But then I'm basically happy with the tone out of the
amp and don't really want it to be a different amp.

-jw

JWelsh3374

Buy a 1990's Vox AC-30 reissue.

Amp simulators live are for girls.

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com

playon

A Vox AC-30 or something similar like a Matchless, etc is pretty much
tone heaven with a telecaster.

Al

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:35:19 -0400, "Thomas Althouse"
wrote:

What's a good amp for a telecaster? Studio use and small venues will be the
applications.

And would you use a modeling box with a more "ordinary", stripped down amp?

Thanks to all.

Tom eh!

Handywired

What's a good amp for a telecaster? Studio use and small venues will be
the
application

An original Blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb. Or if you want more poop, a BF Pro
Reverb. $1500-$2000.

-jeff

Hellenason7

I would *highly* recommend a narrow panel tweed Fender Deluxe (5E3).
Nothing like a Tele through a Fender Deluxe.

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

Hellenason7

I would *highly* recommend a narrow panel tweed Fender Deluxe (5E3).
Nothing like a Tele through a Fender Deluxe.

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

BLCKOUT420

I own all the amps listed in these threads so far .A good telecaster sounds
great in all of them.
BLCKOUT420

I own all the amps listed in these threads so far .A good telecaster sounds
great in all of them.

BLCKOUT420

My favorite, however, is my Tele through a '64 JMI AC30 with top boost..
BLCKOUT420

My favorite, however, is my Tele through a '64 JMI AC30 with top boost..
Paul Stamler

Just about any vintage and variant of Fender Deluxe up to about 1980 or so
will give you wonderful results. Different from one another, but all
wonderful. For studio use (or miked on a stage), a very different animal but
one that has given me some fantastic sounds is the little Kalamazoo Model
One. I gather the Model Two is equally nice (it has tremolo), but haven't
tried it. Way different sounding than any Fender amp, but great in a
fundamentally different way.

Peace,
Paul

Hellenason7

For studio use (or miked on a stage), a very different animal but
one that has given me some fantastic sounds is the little Kalamazoo Model
One.

I would second this. A great amp, and one which, along with many
variants of the Fender Champ, also sounds great with a Telecaster (and most any
great guitar).

The Model One, which doesn't have the tremelo, is a better sounding amp
than the Model Two, IMO.

Myles

Hi-

"Thomas Althouse" wrote in message
What's a good amp for a telecaster? Studio use and small venues will be

the
applications.

And would you use a modeling box with a more "ordinary", stripped down

amp?

Thanks to all.

Tom eh!

Just to add a different opinion, an old Fender Pro ( 1 x 15", brown or
tweed, or clone) is very cool with a Tele.

Myles

Particle Salad

"Thomas Althouse" wrote in message
What's a good amp for a telecaster? Studio use and small venues will be

the
applications.

And would you use a modeling box with a more "ordinary", stripped down

amp?

Thanks to all.

Tom eh!

I like the Peavey Delta Blues for new amps of good quality and reasonable
bucks.

I have a Pod 2 that I use with my SWR California Blond amp. It sounds like
a guitar through an amp for the most part, but doesn't have the richness of
real tubes. However, it IS much more flexible and easier to control then
most other amps...

So... tone or flexibility? You make the call! I don't think you're allowed
to have both. Closest I've found is the Fender Cybertwin... but that's too
big of a beast for me!

Matt

"Paul Stamler" wrote in message ...

I have to say that the AC-30 has my vote for any kind of fender
single-coil, with the bassman just behind. A friend of mine has and
has let me borrow before a vintage 50w ampeg which sounds like it was
crafted by some sort of god. They may be hard to come by though.

Just about any vintage and variant of Fender Deluxe up to about 1980 or so
will give you wonderful results. Different from one another, but all
wonderful. For studio use (or miked on a stage), a very different animal but
one that has given me some fantastic sounds is the little Kalamazoo Model
One. I gather the Model Two is equally nice (it has tremolo), but haven't
tried it. Way different sounding than any Fender amp, but great in a
fundamentally different way.

Peace,
Paul

Vladan

wrote:

What's a good amp for a telecaster? Studio use and small venues will be the
applications.

And would you use a modeling box with a more "ordinary", stripped down amp?

Mine is just Squier, and "modeling box" is SE70, but in a sense, I do
just that.

Without processors involved, I had better luck with tube amps than solid
state. VOX type better than Marshall type.

chetatkinsdiet

A Good Telecaster is so versatile, it'll sound good through just about
anything. It really depends on what you're after.
If you want a classic, Tele type of sound/tone, go Fender. Even the
new Deluxe RI amps are nice.
I'd imagine you'd sound great as well with any number of the new
boutique amps out there as well.
later,

Laurence Payne

wrote:

What's a good amp for a telecaster? Studio use and small venues will be the
applications.

And would you use a modeling box with a more "ordinary", stripped down amp?

I guess the classic answer is a Vox AC-30.

Rob Reedijk

Thomas Althouse wrote:
What's a good amp for a telecaster? Studio use and small venues will be the
applications.

And would you use a modeling box with a more "ordinary", stripped down amp?

One of the best-kept secrets is the Fender Champ 12. These little amps
are all tube, 12 inch speaker, and run about 12 watts. They were made
in the late eighties and have the usual stigma attached and are thus
often overlooked. They do not resemble in any way the old Champs, other
than that they are small.

The built in distortion in the drive/lead channel is one of the best
distortions I have ever heard. It does not have that nice classic
"sing" tone that is nice in the older champs. The reverb sucks.

It is a great amp to have available in the studio since you get the tones
without the deafening levels. It can be used in small small clubs.

Rob R.

georgeh

"Myles" writes:

Just to add a different opinion, an old Fender Pro ( 1 x 15", brown or
tweed, or clone) is very cool with a Tele.

As luck would have it, I have a blackface Pro with a 15" Jensen for
sale. It's been recapped by one of the top Detroit area techs.
Speaker is a c15P IIRC, but it's a few yrs newer (circa 1967
I think) than the 1963 amp. Tolex and grill cloth are VERY clean
for its age. I'd be looking in the 1k range if anyone's interested.

Geetar Dave

"Thomas Althouse" wrote in message ...
What's a good amp for a telecaster? Studio use and small venues will be the
applications.

And would you use a modeling box with a more "ordinary", stripped down amp?

The Vox AC30 has been mentioned here a lot, but you DID specify
"Studio use and small venues."

You'll find the AC15 reissues are less expensive, easier-to-carry, and
probably a bit easier to manage in terms of volume. AC30's are really
loud. They are also HEAVY.

I have both, and use both extensively live and in studio productions.
I would say the AC15 gets more studio-use because I can overdrive it
at a lower volume. My AC30 rules for live work, and I may prefer its
top-end for recording my Rickenbacker 12-string over the AC15; but
that might be imaginary.

A Fender Deluxe Reverb will sing nicely with a Telecaster too.

Avoid using digital modelers. I've never heard one sound great, and
keep asking for examples of where I can hear a great digitally modeled
tone.

-dave
www.themoodrings.com