Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default CD Rip Clipping

Don't ASSume, Luxey.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike R:

No compression/equalization/noise reduction/echo/reverb/flange/whatever is imparted by replay-gain software.

I checked waveforms of original vs RG'd song files, and they vary only in amplitude.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_2_] Ralph Barone[_2_] is offline

Ron Capik wrote:
On 12/11/2012 5:45 PM, None wrote:
li'l krissie wrote in message
Mike Rivers: "Whose problem is this? Does the listener need to hear every
song at the same volume? How boring. "

The problem is how people listen to music today. Most no longer
listen to whole album sides, where the levels are all relatively
matched. I don't recall a single album, on cassette, vinyl, or CD
where I had to get up and adjust the volume after every couple songs.

Today it's a Fleetwood Mac from '77 followed by Adele from last year
followed by Poison from 15 years ago and then a 5 year old track by
Usher. Very likely a playlist like that will vary greatly in rms
values, let alone dynamic ranges, as opposed to songs engineered to
flow together on an album. See the difference now?

Replay gain "yanks" all those various vintages to within 1dB rms of a
predetermined level(either by default or as user specified). Now,
those same songs I listed above for example all sound roughly the same
volume, regardless of dynamic range. RG applies no processing(eq,
compression) to those tracks, it just tags them all a specified
playback level.

No more having to pardon yourself from a conversation at your dinner
party every 5 min to tweak the go____mned volume control!

So it's a way of reducing dynamic range over the
long term. Gee, isn't that pretty much the same
thing you've been throwing tantrums over? Are
you yelling at yourself, telling yourself you should
get off your own lawn?

One wonders if there will ever be an algorithm that can
interpolate and then effectively "level" random tracks of
everything from doo wop to death metal. Could an algorithm
ever interpret the context of a sequence of tracks and apply
relevant leveling? Can that then be extended to apply to
totally random tracks and generas?
Fixed average noise levels ...maybe. Context relevant
levels ...I don't think so.
[YMMV]
==
Later...
Ron Capik
--

It isn't anywhere near perfect, but it does make the segue from Louis
Jordan to Maroon 5 slightly less jarring.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

среда, 12. децембар 2012. 04.23.15 UTC+1, је написао/ла:
Don't ASSume, Luxey.

ASS u?! Who, me?! I will not ass you. Asses are never on my "to do" list.
Oh, got it now. You're used as assing toy 'round a familly. Keep it there.
Public generaly dissaproves that ****.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Luxe: Welcome to Amerika, Komrade.

You *assumed* I was operating on Mac. I do not.

Here in USA we have expression: "When you assume
you make ASS out of U and ME!"

Got it now?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 12/12/2012 1:19 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:

It isn't anywhere near perfect, but it does make the segue from Louis
Jordan to Maroon 5 slightly less jarring.

What's really needed here is something that prevents
transitions like that in a "random" playing sequence. But I
know that having said that, there will be several responses
saying "I love playlists like that."

Please restrain yourselves.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike R: "What's really needed here is something that
prevents transitions like that in a "random" playing sequence.
But I know that having said that, there will be several

Uhh, what have I been describing on here in my last 4 or so replies?

I believe it was called something like "replay gain". Ring a bell?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nil:

I'm looking out of my conductor's cab and it appears to me that YOUR train is about to hit the end-stop in Grand Central.

I have been using mp3Gain replay software for nearly three years and since then have never had the "jarring transitions from random play sequences" Mike Rivers described.

I'm replying to the CD Rips Clipping thread. I don't know what thread you intended to reply to.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

Never crossed my mind. That's why I gave such an unrelated response.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

No problem at all Lux! Got more Americanisms for
you if u like.

"Put things back where you found 'em!"

"If it ain't broke don't fix it", etc...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

Are you serious? No way.
Already told you, re random playlist, pull your head out of assumed americanism, they switched to pseudo random couple posts ago, but that message's lost in cyberspace. Should it appear asomewhere ...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

It may or may not reduce the dynamic range. I don't know how
it actually works (and probably nobody else here really
does, either). It would be easy to peak limit and normalize
based on a single "how hard to work" number embedded in the
file metadata. But since this gain is determined by the
source file and not by the player, it probably doesn't shoot
for a specific peak/average ratio and do what it needs to do
in order to achieve it.

It doesn't reduce the dynamic range. It just provides a reference level
telling the mp3 player to play it back with the gain turned up this far.

And, like all such things, it's being badly abused by people setting it too
high.... but the end user can turn it down too.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott D: "It doesn't reduce the dynamic range"

Nobody said it does! Man does this thread have multiple personality disorder or what??
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Nil:

I'm looking out of my conductor's cab and it appears to me that YOUR train is about to hit the end-stop in Grand Central.

I have been using mp3Gain replay software for nearly three years and since then have never had the "jarring transitions from random play sequences" Mike Rivers described.

Let me tell you, if you play the second Brandenburg concerto and then you
play Anarchy in the UK afterward, you will have a jarring transition no
matter how the gains are set.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Lux:

Read back to where I first described replay gain.

I succinctly provided an example where songs from the '70s, '90s, and now, varying genres, and different artists, were played in a row.

That can happen both intentionally, as in a playlist, or randomly,
as when the iPod is set to "shuffle".

If that ain't random playback then I'm on the wrong planet!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott D:

I never implied that RG was perfect. All I can say is that it has reduced my need to constantly adjust volume, in my living room, my car, or via headphones, from every other song to almost NEVER.

Sure, I still have to adjust the volume - incoming phone calls, someone with hard hearing, etc, usually external influences, but RARELY due to the playback of my collection.

Words to live by.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ok now I get you Mike. You prefer to listen to
songs that have some commonality: the genre,
the artist themself, etc.

See I'd go nuts that way, lol! I can't listen to 3
or more songs of the same genre or artist in a
row. I need to switch it up a bit. To each their
own.

You mentioned radio. As far as content, there's
nothing like listening to an hour of Carol Miller(former
WNEW) on Q104 fm in New York. She knows how
to flow. And no need to worry about levels there - it's
all limited to hell anyhow.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

wrote in message
Luxe: Welcome to Amerika, Komrade.

You *assumed* I was operating on Mac. I do not.

Here in USA we have expression: "When you assume
you make ASS out of U and ME!"

Got it now?

The rest of the whold it is an ARSE. An ass is a type of donkey.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

wrote in message
Nil:

I'm looking out of my conductor's cab and it appears to me that YOUR train
is about to hit the end-stop in Grand Central.

I have been using mp3Gain replay software for nearly three years and since
then have never had the "jarring transitions from random play sequences"
Mike Rivers described.

I'm replying to the CD Rips Clipping thread. I don't know what thread you
intended to reply to.

Um you are in the wrong newsgroup. Try rec.audio.toy.players

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

wrote in message
Scott D:

I never implied that RG was perfect. All I can say is that it has reduced
my need to constantly adjust volume, in my living room, my car, or via
headphones, from every other song to almost NEVER.

Sure, I still have to adjust the volume - incoming phone calls, someone
with hard hearing, etc, usually external influences, but RARELY due to the
playback of my collection.

Words to live by.

You really are iln the wrong newsgroup.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:31:49 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:

Words to live by.

You really are iln the wrong newsgroup.

geoff

_________________

Merriam-Webster definition of IGNORANCE:

Definition of IGNORANCE

: the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness

See ignorance defined for English-language learners

See ignorance defined for kids

Examples of IGNORANCE

His racist attitudes were born out of ignorance.
an appalling ignorance about other cultures

First Known Use of IGNORANCE

13th century

Related to IGNORANCE

Synonyms: benightedness, cluelessness, incognizance, innocence, nescience, obliviousness, unawareness, unfamiliarity

____________
And may I add: "Unwillingness to accept ideas and concepts differing from one's own. Willingness to outright deny what one doesn't understand".

As in replay-gain.

But I forgive you. Afterall, "ignorance is bliss!"

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/12/2012 3:30 PM, geoff wrote:

Um you are in the wrong newsgroup. Try rec.audio.toy.players

Ward, don't be so hard on the Beaver. After all, I learned
what Replay Gain was, something I'd heard of before but
never bothered to look up. When I get old and gray and deaf
and want to mix up death metal with string quartets while
driving across country, it might come in handy.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

the li'l kbaby @gmail.com wrote in message
Ok now I get you Mike.

Not even close. Essential reading comprehension
is way beyond you. Try starting with a sandbox,
and try to work up to kindergarten.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

li'l krissie gosucky @gmail.com wrote in message
"Willingness to outright deny what one doesn't understand".

Story of your life, crissfisser. And what you don't
understand is pretty much everything about audio,
and everything posted on this thread. Even your
own posts.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

None wrote:

li'l krissie gosucky @gmail.com wrote in message
"Willingness to outright deny what one doesn't understand".

Story of your life, crissfisser. And what you don't
understand is pretty much everything about audio,
and everything posted on this thread. Even your
own posts.

It's a bot that types.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

Ward, don't be so hard on the Beaver. After all, I learned
what Replay Gain was, something I'd heard of before but
never bothered to look up. When I get old and gray and deaf
and want to mix up death metal with string quartets while
driving across country, it might come in handy.

Death metal - it's all in the hood ornaments.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

"None" wrote in message
the li'l kbaby @gmail.com wrote in message
Ok now I get you Mike.

Not even close. Essential reading comprehension
is way beyond you. Try starting with a sandbox,
and try to work up to kindergarten.

SG is the amount you have to fill the sandbox up so that it's up to the
brim.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Geoff: "None" isn't 1/10th the person you(or Dorsey or Mike Rivers) are. Do NOT engage him. He will follow you all over Usenet and mess with your mind!

*Most* of the RAP contibutors are better than that.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

k man sucks @gmail.com wrote in message
Geoff: "None" isn't 1/10th the person you(or Dorsey or Mike Rivers)
are. Do NOT engage him. He will follow you all over Usenet and
mess with your mind!

*Most* of the RAP contibutors are better than that.

More netkopping from the little toddler who
thinks he's in charge here. Am I messing
with your poor tiny mind? Maybe you should
run home and tell your mommy. Or you could
just stop posting huge steaming manure
piles of off-topic ignorance, which seems
to be your chosen way of life.