Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Default Burwen TNE 7000A setup

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:36:36 -0400, Ty Ford
wrote:

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:10:20 -0400, William Sommerwerck wrote
(in article ):

Both obviously written by Mac bigots for Mac bigots.

I've posted negative comments on the first of these.

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...415_602968.htm

I'm reminded of a letter the pre-"Abso!ute Sound" Harry Pearson wrote to
"Stereophile" roughly 40 years ago. He said he didn't like electrostatic
speakers because he didn't like the kind of /people/ who liked
electrostatics.

This is a big part of my problem with Apple products. The Apple-lovers'
attitude of "we're right, everyone else is wrong" is galling. But I
tolerated it, until Apple decided that the best way to promote the Mac was
to lie.

One rarely sees reviews of this sort. Even the PC mags lean toward "Apple
good, Microsoft bad".

http://www.digitaltrends.com/guides/...-ipod-touch/2/

Apple products are a lot like cigarettes... People are pressed to like Apple
products because it's cool to do so, just as it's cool to smoke.

Who gives a **** what computer I, you or someone else uses?

Have we become so insecure that we define ourselves by our toys?

I had hoped for better.

While you chaps stand around arguing about the relative merits of PCs
and Macs, do you realize that Scrabble has just decided to permit
proper nouns? I think you all might exercise a degree of perspective
here.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

On 4/6/2010 1:03 PM Don Pearce spake thus:

While you chaps stand around arguing about the relative merits of PCs
and Macs, do you realize that Scrabble has just decided to permit
proper nouns? I think you all might exercise a degree of perspective
here.

Good god[tm]! The end of the world is at hand!

I suspected it when they put lights up at Wrigley Field, but now I know
for sure.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:27:21 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote
(in article ):

On 4/6/2010 10:02 AM Audio Empire spake thus:

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 07:36:36 -0700, Ty Ford wrote
(in article ET):

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...90415_602968.h

http://www.digitaltrends.com/guides/...le-ipod-touch/
2/

Apple products are a lot like cigarettes... People are pressed to like
Apple
products because it's cool to do so, just as it's cool to smoke.

Who gives a **** what computer I, you or someone else uses?

Have we become so insecure that we define ourselves by our toys?

I had hoped for better.

Let's get back to pro-audio, guys. This Mac vs PC nonsense has gone too
far.
While I admit that I did help instigate it when I responded to some
incorrect
information that someone posted about Macs, but tI didn't start it and
that's
DONE. We need to get over this. You use what computer works best for you,
just like buy whatever vehicle works best for you. They make different
computers and different OSes because different people like or need
different
things. It's called choice, and I would like just one of you guys to tell
us
in what way choice is BAD?

Easy, big boy. I don't think anyone's accusing *you* of being a Mac
bigot, and what you write is true. However, the fact remains that
there's a whole lot of Mac bigotry alive and well out there, and it
ought to be addressed.

Yeah, then address it in the proper venue. I just don't happen to think that
this is it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 11:34:01 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ) :

"Steve King" wrote
in message
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in
message
.com...
On 4/6/2010 10:02 AM Audio Empire spake thus:

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 07:36:36 -0700, Ty Ford wrote
(in article
ET):

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:10:20 -0400, William Sommerwerck
wrote (in article
):

[...]

And addressing it will do what?

Provide the people on the computer platform advocacy groups something to
fill their empty days.

If you post it there. Posting it here will bore everyone to tears, or at
least it will bore ME to tears 8^)

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:03:10 -0700, Don Pearce wrote
(in article ):

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...0415_602968.ht

http://www.digitaltrends.com/guides/...e-ipod-touch/2
/

Apple products are a lot like cigarettes... People are pressed to like
Apple
products because it's cool to do so, just as it's cool to smoke.

Who gives a **** what computer I, you or someone else uses?

Have we become so insecure that we define ourselves by our toys?

I had hoped for better.

While you chaps stand around arguing about the relative merits of PCs
and Macs, do you realize that Scrabble has just decided to permit
proper nouns? I think you all might exercise a degree of perspective
here.

It's at least as important as Mac vs Windows.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 14:10:09 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote
(in article ):

On 4/6/2010 1:03 PM Don Pearce spake thus:

While you chaps stand around arguing about the relative merits of PCs
and Macs, do you realize that Scrabble has just decided to permit
proper nouns? I think you all might exercise a degree of perspective
here.

Good god[tm]! The end of the world is at hand!

I suspected it when they put lights up at Wrigley Field, but now I know
for sure.

Couldn't be that Baseball season (hurrah!( has started, could it?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 4/6/2010 1:03 PM Don Pearce spake thus:

While you chaps stand around arguing about the relative merits of PCs
and Macs, do you realize that Scrabble has just decided to permit
proper nouns? I think you all might exercise a degree of perspective
here.

Good god[tm]! The end of the world is at hand!

I suspected it when they put lights up at Wrigley Field, but now I know
for sure.

Oh, it was obvious when Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys and was not
immediately struck by lightning. Even worse, he ran off Jimmy
Johnson and was not *then* struck by lightning.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

On 4/6/2010 5:00 PM Les Cargill spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 4/6/2010 1:03 PM Don Pearce spake thus:

While you chaps stand around arguing about the relative merits of PCs
and Macs, do you realize that Scrabble has just decided to permit
proper nouns? I think you all might exercise a degree of perspective
here.

Good god[tm]! The end of the world is at hand!

I suspected it when they put lights up at Wrigley Field, but now I know
for sure.

Oh, it was obvious when Jerry Jones bought the Cowboys and was not
immediately struck by lightning. Even worse, he ran off Jimmy
Johnson and was not *then* struck by lightning.

Hmm; didn't intend to steer this thread off into a sports tangent (I am
in no way a sports fan and thing baseball is the most booooring thing in
the world). But that's OK with me.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
PStamler PStamler is offline

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...tc20090415_602....

http://www.digitaltrends.com/guides/...s-apple-ipod-t....

Apple products are a lot like cigarettes... People are pressed to like Apple
products because it's cool to do so, just as it's cool to smoke.

Who gives a **** what computer I, you or someone else uses?

Have we become so insecure that we define ourselves by our toys?

I had hoped for better.

While you chaps stand around arguing about the relative merits of PCs
and Macs, do you realize that Scrabble has just decided to permit
proper nouns? I think you all might exercise a degree of perspective
here.

Actually, they haven't:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/bro...-scrabble.aspx

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:27:21 -0400, David Nebenzahl wrote
(in article ):

Easy, big boy. I don't think anyone's accusing *you* of being a Mac
bigot, and what you write is true. However, the fact remains that
there's a whole lot of Mac bigotry alive and well out there, and it
ought to be addressed.

EVERYBODY with a Mac or PC hard on, go to the showers and take a cold one.

It's boring, like arguing religion.

Respectfully,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:03:10 -0400, Don Pearce wrote
(in article ):

While you chaps stand around arguing about the relative merits of PCs and
Macs, do you realize that Scrabble has just decided to permit proper nouns? I

think you all might exercise a degree of perspective here.

scarily, I agree!

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

On 4/7/2010 7:41 AM Ty Ford spake thus:

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:27:21 -0400, David Nebenzahl wrote
(in article ):

Easy, big boy. I don't think anyone's accusing *you* of being a Mac
bigot, and what you write is true. However, the fact remains that
there's a whole lot of Mac bigotry alive and well out there, and it
ought to be addressed.

EVERYBODY with a Mac or PC hard on, go to the showers and take a cold one.

It's boring, like arguing religion.

Well, ackshooly, it *is* a religious argument (akin to *nix vs. other
OSes). Some of us like to discuss such things. And if you don't want to
participate, you don't have to. You could, oh, I don't know, choose not
to read such posts.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Well, ackshooly, it *is* a religious argument (akin to *nix vs. other
OSes). Some of us like to discuss such things. And if you don't want to
participate, you don't have to. You could, oh, I don't know, choose not
to read such posts.

You might want to take it to one of the .advocacy groups whose charter
encourages such discussion, rather than r.a.p where the charter rather
discourages it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Hank Hank is offline

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 4/7/2010 7:41 AM Ty Ford spake thus:

It's boring, like arguing religion.

Well, ackshooly, it *is* a religious argument (akin to *nix vs. other
OSes). Some of us like to discuss such things. And if you don't want to
participate, you don't have to. You could, oh, I don't know, choose not
to read such posts.

Well, this isn't the forum for any such religions. Take it to one of
the advocacy groups.

The fact that I posted about getting my TNE 7000 connected in my
analogue audio setup means that I needed some help, which I got.
Followed by a great deal of razzle-dazzle about computers and their
operating systems, which are not material to my getting clean analogue
audio.

Hank
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:26:13 -0700, Hank wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 4/7/2010 7:41 AM Ty Ford spake thus:

It's boring, like arguing religion.

Well, ackshooly, it *is* a religious argument (akin to *nix vs. other
OSes). Some of us like to discuss such things. And if you don't want to
participate, you don't have to. You could, oh, I don't know, choose not
to read such posts.

Well, this isn't the forum for any such religions. Take it to one of
the advocacy groups.

The fact that I posted about getting my TNE 7000 connected in my
analogue audio setup means that I needed some help, which I got.
Followed by a great deal of razzle-dazzle about computers and their
operating systems, which are not material to my getting clean analogue
audio.

Hank

Actually, I started this by recommending that you use Audacity or other
audio program on a computer to do what you need to do. That's all this
started with. The "religious wars" came later in the thread. I've used the
Burwen and I think that using a computer running Audacity (available for all
three platforms, Linux, Mac, and Windows) to work on the file once it's been
transferred to digital yields a much better sounding transfer and does a
better job of removing tics and pops than the Burwen does. You use what you
want, of course. Suggestions for alternatives are just that, suggestions. I'm
certainly not trying to tell you what to do or what computer to use when
doing it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 11:58:44 -0400, David Nebenzahl wrote
(in article ):

On 4/7/2010 7:41 AM Ty Ford spake thus:

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:27:21 -0400, David Nebenzahl wrote
(in article ):

Easy, big boy. I don't think anyone's accusing *you* of being a Mac
bigot, and what you write is true. However, the fact remains that
there's a whole lot of Mac bigotry alive and well out there, and it
ought to be addressed.

EVERYBODY with a Mac or PC hard on, go to the showers and take a cold one.

It's boring, like arguing religion.

Well, ackshooly, it *is* a religious argument (akin to *nix vs. other
OSes). Some of us like to discuss such things. And if you don't want to
participate, you don't have to. You could, oh, I don't know, choose not
to read such posts.

Why don't you behave like a nice Netcitizen and start your own thread
appropriately titled and in the correct forum and stop tracking mud across
the floor?

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

On 4/8/2010 9:44 AM spake thus:

On 2010-04-08
said:

Well, ackshooly, it *is* a religious argument (akin to *nix vs.
other OSes). Some of us like to discuss such things. And if you
don't want to participate, you don't have to. You could, oh, I
don't know, choose not to read such posts.
Why don't you behave like a nice Netcitizen and start your own
thread appropriately titled and in the correct forum and stop
tracking mud across the floor?

WEll said, thanks Ty. THese threads seem to occupy the
whole newsgroup when they start, to the exclusion of
everything else. sOme of us out here don't really care
about the whole thing, we're into producing good sounding
audio, whatever tools one uses to do it. GEneric computer
operating systems aren't something that gives us the big
rush. This ****ing contest is better suited to the
operating system debate forums.

So I guess we can conclude that y'all over there in r.a.t. are a bunch
of fuddy-duddy net-nanny types, some of whom produce really
weirdly-formatted posts ...

Glad that's been settled.

What is apparently settled with your post above is that you, oh master
of the computer universwe, are unaware that you are crossposting* into
rec.audio.pro, where we use the computer we use to help do the work we
do, and we don't care what kind of computer anybody else uses for their
work.

r.a.t might make sense for you. Clearly r.a.p does not.

*you can look it up

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

On 2010-04-08 (hankalrich) said:
WEll said, thanks Ty. THese threads seem to occupy the
whole newsgroup when they start, to the exclusion of
everything else. some of us out here don't really care
about the whole thing, we're into producing good sounding
audio, whatever tools one uses to do it. GEneric computer
operating systems aren't something that gives us the big
rush. This ****ing contest is better suited to the
operating system debate forums.

So I guess we can conclude that y'all over there in r.a.t. are a
bunch of fuddy-duddy net-nanny types, some of whom produce really
weirdly-formatted posts ...

IF DAvid thinks my posts are weirdly formatted I guess he
hasn't been around this group, or usenet very long. NEver
seen him until this garbage here anyway, but then I don't
read any of the newsgroups other than rec.audio.pro except
when threads get the crosspost from hell treatment.

What is apparently settled with your post above is that you, oh
master of the computer universwe, are unaware that you are
crossposting* into rec.audio.pro, where we use the computer we use
to help do the work we do, and we don't care what kind of computer
anybody else uses for their work.

Which is the point I"m trying to get across, that DAvid
seems to be too obtuse to grasp. LEt me put it another way.

My van, and my truck are devices made for transportation. I
know enough about them to maintain them, and to hire work
done I don't have tools or facilities to do. HOw they get
the job of conveying me and my stuff from point A to B isn't
that big a concern to me. I"m not a motorhead.
I don't hang out in motorhead newsgroups or discussion
forums. IT's the same way with computers, they are tools to
get a job done. I don't happen to like any gui operating
system, for a variety of reasons. What you like is fine,
for you, have at it, but I'm not going to spend a lot of
time arguing about a tool which I essentially use like the
part of the analog system that stored the data on reels of
tape. Being in the profession I"m in I get enough operating
system nerd chatter.
YOu think we actually got a point across Hank, or are we
just adding to the general noise. I'll wait for an
actually interesting thread to come along when it does and
drop back into lurk mode.

REgards,

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider
Remote audio in the MEmphis Tn. area: see
www.gatasound.com

Amazing how much tape is on a 10" reel when it's not.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

On 4/8/2010 1:24 PM hank alrich spake thus:

What is apparently settled with your post above is that you, oh master
of the computer universwe, are unaware that you are crossposting* into
rec.audio.pro, where we use the computer we use to help do the work we
do, and we don't care what kind of computer anybody else uses for their
work.

r.a.t might make sense for you. Clearly r.a.p does not.

I *meant* r.a.p.; I'm posting from r.a.t. I made a mistake. So sue me.

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 12:59:23 -0400, David Nebenzahl wrote
(in article ):

On 4/8/2010 9:44 AM spake thus:

On 2010-04-08
said:

[...]

Actually this was cross-posted to Rec.Audio.Pro

And::with a due humor:: go **** yourself.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Acting and Voiceover Demos
http://www.tyford.com
Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Dirk Bruere at NeoPax is offline

On 07/04/2010 22:13, Audio Empire wrote:
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 13:26:13 -0700, Hank wrote
(in ):

In ers.com,
David wrote:
[...]

The one thing the PC architecture has going for it is that you can put
your own PC together at whatever level of quality/cost/performance you
choose. It's what I always do. And you can put it in a **** ugly
armoured box if you like:-)
http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-vf...ase-black.html

--
Dirk

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:12:11 -0700, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote
(in article ):

David wrote:
[...]

And this is relevant to the Burwen TNE 7000A discussion, how?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:13:37 -0400, Audio Empire wrote
(in article ):
The one thing the PC architecture has going for it is that you can put
your own PC together at whatever level of quality/cost/performance you
choose. It's what I always do. And you can put it in a **** ugly
armoured box if you like:-)
http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-vf...ase-black.html

And this is relevant to the Burwen TNE 7000A discussion, how?

Dunno, but it seems to make PC owners less observant than some.

I have a 7000A ready to take to the dump, thanks to this dialog.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

I have a 7000A ready to take to the dump, thanks to this dialog.

Why? It's an excellent product. Set up correctly, it works.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

PS: Send it to me, and I'll check it out for you. If you still don't want
it, I'll buy it from you, as a spare.

William Sommerwerck
17610 134th Lane SE
Renton, WA 98058-6817

(My address is publicly listed, so there's no reason I shouldn't post it
here.)

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 07:01:33 -0700, Ty Ford wrote
(in article ET):

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:13:37 -0400, Audio Empire wrote
(in article ):
The one thing the PC architecture has going for it is that you can put
your own PC together at whatever level of quality/cost/performance you
choose. It's what I always do. And you can put it in a **** ugly
armoured box if you like:-)
http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-vf...ase-black.html

And this is relevant to the Burwen TNE 7000A discussion, how?

Dunno, but it seems to make PC owners less observant than some.

I have a 7000A ready to take to the dump, thanks to this dialog.

Regards,

Ty Ford

I dunno if I'd be THAT drastic, but there are better, more effective
solutions available these days, even if they are not "automatic" like the
Burwen 8^)

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

I dunno if I'd be THAT drastic, but there are better,
more effective solutions available these days, even
if they are not "automatic" like the Burwen 8^.

The Burwen will correctly remove all the small-to-medium pops and clicks. It
seems to me those are exactly the ones you want done "automatically". A
software solution seems better for the larger ones, which you'd probably
want to manually monitor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:12:18 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote
(in article ):

I dunno if I'd be THAT drastic, but there are better,
more effective solutions available these days, even
if they are not "automatic" like the Burwen 8^.

The Burwen will correctly remove all the small-to-medium pops and clicks. It
seems to me those are exactly the ones you want done "automatically". A
software solution seems better for the larger ones, which you'd probably
want to manually monitor.

OK, I'll give you that.

On a slightly different subject. It's too bad that some of the better
"autocorrelation" programs aren't available for hobbyists. I have some recent
re-masterings (on CD and SACD) of old RCA and Mercury classics as well as
some old Jazz recording from the 1950's and early 1960's that are as quiet as
any modern digital recording. And get this, the software used to do this
manages to remove the tape hiss, cover the drop-outs (after all these tape
masters are 50-years old and older) and do it all so seamlessly that you
don't notice it and it does it without rolling off the top end!

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Audio Empire wrote:
On a slightly different subject. It's too bad that some of the better
"autocorrelation" programs aren't available for hobbyists. I have some recent
re-masterings (on CD and SACD) of old RCA and Mercury classics as well as
some old Jazz recording from the 1950's and early 1960's that are as quiet as
any modern digital recording. And get this, the software used to do this
manages to remove the tape hiss, cover the drop-outs (after all these tape
masters are 50-years old and older) and do it all so seamlessly that you
don't notice it and it does it without rolling off the top end!

Uhh.... here's the thing, though. If you listen to those tapes and films,
they don't have much in the way of hiss or drop-outs to begin with.

Listen to some of the Everest remasterings which are just straight dubs
right off the master tapes with the center channel mixed in. Or the
Mercury reissues that David Chesky did, which again are straight dubs with
no processing. They sound spectacular, because the originals sounded
spectacular in the first place.

1/2" 3-track is nothing to sneeze at... and 3-track 35mm magfilm is stunningly
quiet even by modern standards.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:21:49 -0700, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article ):

Audio Empire wrote:
On a slightly different subject. It's too bad that some of the better
"autocorrelation" programs aren't available for hobbyists. I have some
recent
re-masterings (on CD and SACD) of old RCA and Mercury classics as well as
some old Jazz recording from the 1950's and early 1960's that are as quiet
as
any modern digital recording. And get this, the software used to do this
manages to remove the tape hiss, cover the drop-outs (after all these tape
masters are 50-years old and older) and do it all so seamlessly that you
don't notice it and it does it without rolling off the top end!

Uhh.... here's the thing, though. If you listen to those tapes and films,
they don't have much in the way of hiss or drop-outs to begin with.

I have some early CD reissues of RCA "Living Stereo" recordings from the
50's. If I listen on headphones, I can definitely hear drop-outs on many of
them. I can also hear the tape hiss. On the "processed" RCA/BMG SACD reissues
of some of these same titles, as well as on some of the JVC XRCD reissues, I
hear no dropouts or tape hiss even on headphones.

Listen to some of the Everest remasterings which are just straight dubs
right off the master tapes with the center channel mixed in. Or the
Mercury reissues that David Chesky did, which again are straight dubs with
no processing. They sound spectacular, because the originals sounded
spectacular in the first place.

My main point was that when this modern autocorrelation software is applied,
the result - aside from what you want it to do - is inaudible. It is
impressive.

1/2" 3-track is nothing to sneeze at... and 3-track 35mm magfilm is

stunningly
quiet even by modern standards.

I don't disagree. 35mm magnetic film had very good S/N.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech

Audio Empire wrote:
I have some early CD reissues of RCA "Living Stereo" recordings from the
50's. If I listen on headphones, I can definitely hear drop-outs on many of
them.

Many of those weren't made from anything approaching the original masters, and
a lot of them were made in a very sloppy fashion on PCM-1610 machines which
sure didn't help anything.

I can also hear the tape hiss. On the "processed" RCA/BMG SACD reissues
of some of these same titles, as well as on some of the JVC XRCD reissues, I
hear no dropouts or tape hiss even on headphones.

The JVC XRCD discs are made directly from the masters with no processing,
and they are absolutely stunning. What impressed me about the process if
anything was that I _could_ hear the tape hiss, and I could hear it well
enough to guess the tape formulation.

I don't know about the SACD reissues, that was after my time with that stuff.

Listen to some of the Everest remasterings which are just straight dubs
right off the master tapes with the center channel mixed in. Or the
Mercury reissues that David Chesky did, which again are straight dubs with
no processing. They sound spectacular, because the originals sounded
spectacular in the first place.

My main point was that when this modern autocorrelation software is applied,
the result - aside from what you want it to do - is inaudible. It is
impressive.

Having used CEDAR and NoNoise, I agree that it can be used carefully in
a reasonable fashion... but people expect miracles from it, and it's not
capable of miracles. The only miracles you get happen in the session and
not in the mastering room.

1/2" 3-track is nothing to sneeze at... and 3-track 35mm magfilm is

stunningly
quiet even by modern standards.

I don't disagree. 35mm magnetic film had very good S/N.

The amazing thing is that fifty years later, it still does.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:05:16 -0700, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article ):

Audio Empire wrote:
I have some early CD reissues of RCA "Living Stereo" recordings from the
50's. If I listen on headphones, I can definitely hear drop-outs on many of
them.

Many of those weren't made from anything approaching the original masters,

and
a lot of them were made in a very sloppy fashion on PCM-1610 machines which
sure didn't help anything.

Well, that's for sure, but that's a different issue (the 1610, 1620, and 1630
were all TERRIBLE!)

[...]

--scott

Yeah. I would have thought that the 35mm film stock would have deteriorated
(gotten brittle) and would be far worse than the old acetate tape (like
Scotch 201), but it didn't. It's held up VERY well.