danny

(Tim Terral) wrote in message . com...
I went and played with a guitar that had a K&K set up today. There
were 3 pick ups inside under the bridge but I can't tell you want
model it is. I think I will put it in my martin hd28 to try it before
I do my other guitar.

I thought it sounded very good too. Thanks for the input - the guy at
buffalo brothers is going to install it for $175

Thanks

Danny Taddei

That was probaly the Pure Western you played, since the price of the
Trinity was $285.00 when I bought mine a few years back. The
difference will be the Trinity comes with the Pure Western Pick-up,
internal microphone and preamp, while the Pure Western does not come
with the microphone or the preamp. Interestingly enough, I have read
numerous times that the pick-up is hot enough without a preamp. That
being said, I would still recommend a preamp. Also, K&K have 2 sizes
of the Pure Western pick-up elements, based on the size of one's
bridge plate. Most people use the regular size which has a hotter
output. I have both and the smaller pick-up elements (3) are not as
hot, therefore I would recommend going with the standard size if
possible.

Tim T

I'm glad you told me that. I would rather have an active system. I
think the standard size will fit on the HD28. I was in there the other
day with my guitar but I had to leave it so I opted to bring it back.
Looks like I made a good move:-) I'll let you know how it turns out
after I get it in there.

Thanks again
threm

play-on playonATcomcast.net wrote in message . ..
Stock strat pickups are 5.5k to 6.5k ohms. Tele lead pups are around
7k, stock Gibson humbuckers are also around 7-8k resistance.

A lot of the new custom pickups are overwound to far beyond this, up
to 10-14k. They sound like **** IMO but some people like to clobber
the amp imputs.

Al

On 16 Nov 2004 21:16:02 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Okay, what are typical inductances and DC resistances of wirewound pickups?
What kind of numbers should I expect to see?
--scott

There's a 'tone chart' on the S. Duncan site with DC resistance
and Resonance peak of all their pick ups.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/tonechart.shtml

Evangelos Himonides

Seymour's got a nice chart that you might find helpful:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/tonechart.shtml

I apologise for posting through google, but I don't have access to
newsgroup servers any more.

Best wishes,

Evangelos

Evangelos T. Himonides
DipMus, BSc (1st Class Hons), MA
doctoral Student, University of London (IoE)

Research Assistant
University of York
Department of Electronics
Room 839

Music Department
Institute of Education
University of London
20, Bedford Way
London WC1H 0AL
Tel. +44 207 6126599
Fax. +44 207 6126741

DW Griffi

I play live and record regularly with a guitarist with a
Pick-Up-The-World in his Martin, and it's far and away the most natural
acoustic guitar sound via a pickup I've ever dealt with.

remove 555 from address to reply

Jim Williams

(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Okay, what are typical inductances and DC resistances of wirewound pickups?
What kind of numbers should I expect to see?
--scott

There's a 'tone chart' on the S. Duncan site with DC resistance
and Resonance peak of all their pick ups.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/tonechart.shtml

I found one of the better ways to "measure" a pickups' frequency
response is to first load the pickup's output with a 1 meg ohm buffer.
I have a 100 ohm "strat" pickup wound by Semour Duncan in 1979 that's
used as a driver to the pickup under test. It's fitted above the "put"
and then fed by an Audio Precision System One analyzer. A nice
print-out of the pickup is displayed. I have a large collection of
guitar and bass pickups frequency response plots on file for
comparison.

Wouldn't it be nice if this information was supplied to the potential
customer? I've never seen this done by any pickup manufacturer. Seems
they want to keep the musicians "barefoot and pregnant".

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

play-on

(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

[...]

The frequency respsonse of pickups can only tell you so much... I
suppose it could get people in the ballpark but there are huge
variables when you add the guitar body, what kind of wood, how dense,
type of bridge, etc etc etc.

Al

maxdm

I'm trying to get a sense of what actually happens at the instrument-preamp
interface.
--scott

Guitar pickups are just like guitars, many factors will influence the
way they interact with the preamp etc.

The windings on vintage pickups are hand wound (irregular) and loosely
packed, some pickups had wax or lacquer to reduce microphonics, magnet
types vary from alnico II or V etc to ceramic, the cores vary.
Being high impedance the pickups will be affected by the volume pot's
dc resistance (250k or 500k) and the cable's capacitance and
irregularity in shielding will cause losses/distortions etc.
they are technically not ideal from a design standpoint, but the
manufacturers that have tried to "correct" these faults with low
impedance tightly wound buffered pickups have never really changed
what most guitarists will look for in a pickup.

A pickup is to be regarded as a musical instrument, for sanity's sake.

Some guitar amps have a 100k resistor to ground that may pass through
a decoupling cap before going into the grid, others have a 1 meg to
ground and then a series 68K resistor to the grid.

there are a lot of factors.

The best all around input for a guitar is a high (2 meg and up)
impedance input.
this said some guitarists like to play with the volume on 9 (reduces
high frequency resonant peak between pickup and capacitance of cable?)
and some like long cords (cap. to ground via cable) some like low
impedance transistor inputs...

every guitar is different.

hank alrich

danny wrote:

what do you think is the best or closest
to real sound you have heard?

An old Bill Lawrence that I bought at a music store bankruptcy auction.
It's rather microphonic, and maybe that's why it sounds so much like a
guitar. But it did startle me with its better-than-anticipated
performance.

--
ha

ScotFraser

An old Bill Lawrence that I bought at a music store bankruptcy auction.
It's rather microphonic, and maybe that's why it sounds so much like a
guitar. But it did startle me with its better-than-anticipated
performance. BRBR

I've always been amazed that most single coil magnetic sound hole pickups sound
much more natural to me than most internal piezo transducers.

Scott Fraser
hank alrich

ScotFraser wrote:

An old Bill Lawrence that I bought at a music store bankruptcy auction.
It's rather microphonic, and maybe that's why it sounds so much like a
guitar. But it did startle me with its better-than-anticipated
performance. BRBR

I've always been amazed that most single coil magnetic sound hole pickups
sound much more natural to me than most internal piezo transducers.

Of course, the soundhole of the McCollum is too large to hold the
Lawrence. I'm intending to stick it semi-permanently into the J-50.

We can put men on the moon, and still not be able to build a decently
accurate piezo pickup. g

--
ha
Handywired

I've always been amazed that most single coil magnetic sound hole pickups
sound
much more natural to me than most internal piezo transducers.

Well, piezo's suck as transducers... they handle dynamics and transients in an
ugly way and have a plastic-y, coarse, sound. Plus they affect the acoustic
tone of the instrument; under the saddle is the worst possible place to put
something soft like that, acoustically.

I like the LR Baggs I-Beam. NOT a piezo. Roll off a little low end and they
sound very natural.

-jeff
david

In article , hank alrich
wrote:

danny wrote:

what do you think is the best or closest
to real sound you have heard?

An old Bill Lawrence that I bought at a music store bankruptcy auction.
It's rather microphonic, and maybe that's why it sounds so much like a
guitar. But it did startle me with its better-than-anticipated
performance.

--
ha

Rupert Neve just designed one for some Taylor guitar models. Bet it
sounds damn good.

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_taylo...rsrupert_neve/

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
ScotFraser

Of course, the soundhole of the McCollum is too large to hold the
Lawrence.

Duct tape!

I'm intending to stick it semi-permanently into the J-50.

Then you'd have an almost J-160.

We can put men on the moon, and still not be able to build a decently
accurate piezo pickup. g
BRBR

Well, that's cuz it was POSSIBLE to put men on the moon. Accurate piezo pickups
are a whole other thing.

Scott Fraser

hank alrich

ScotFraser wrote:

Of course, the soundhole of the McCollum is too large to hold the
Lawrence.

Duct tape!

I'm not famous enough to get away with that.

I'm intending to stick it semi-permanently into the J-50.

Then you'd have an almost J-160.

Never played a J160 that came anywhere near the acoustic sound of this
J-50, which admittedly has been massaged by Lance McC.

We can put men on the moon, and still not be able to build a decently
accurate piezo pickup. g

Well, that's cuz it was POSSIBLE to put men on the moon. Accurate piezo
pickups are a whole other thing.

Maybe the Russians could do it.

--
ha
hank alrich

Handywired wrote:

I've always been amazed that most single coil magnetic sound hole pickups
sound
much more natural to me than most internal piezo transducers.

Well, piezo's suck as transducers... they handle dynamics and transients in an
ugly way and have a plastic-y, coarse, sound. Plus they affect the acoustic
tone of the instrument; under the saddle is the worst possible place to put
something soft like that, acoustically.

I can tell you that Lance McCollum, using his own guitars, can install
many different under-saddle pickups with sufficient excellence that even
he can't be sure he hears a difference in the acoustic tone, and the guy
has silly good ears for the sounds of acoustic string instruments.

I like the LR Baggs I-Beam. NOT a piezo. Roll off a little low end and they
sound very natural.

And they are massive enough that they, too, must impose upon the
response of the instrument. But yes, they're more natural sounding,
sometimes.

So far the best piezo antidote I've found, regardless of pickup maker or
alleged quality of the pickup itself, is an Evil Twin DI.

--
ha
hank alrich

david wrote:

Rupert Neve just designed one for some Taylor guitar models. Bet it
sounds damn good.

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_taylo...rsrupert_neve/

That that rig in advanced prototype, all properly packaged, at McQ's
last year. Looked interesting, but so far I've not heard anybody say it
sounds like an acoustic guitar, naturally.

The problem may actually be technically insurmountable, trying to get
via direct mechanical interface that which we often prefer to perceive
through air. (Maybe this is something for Joe Cocker to look into.)

--
ha
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_taylo...rsrupert_neve/

I tried taking that tutorial but didn't think I'd live long enough for
it to load.

That that rig in advanced prototype, all properly packaged, at McQ's
last year. Looked interesting, but so far I've not heard anybody say it
sounds like an acoustic guitar, naturally.

I played with it for a while at NAMM last Summer and couldn't get it
to sound like anything but an acoustic guitar with a pickup. That was
on headphones, but still kind of disappointing considering how much
effort Taylor has put into guitars that, when amplified, still sound
like guitars. But then I don't usually record the kind of music that
people who play Taylor guitar play (showing some bias here, I know)
but whenever I've heard someone play a Taylor I've often thought
they'd sound better with some other guitar.

At the AES show this year, I stopped by the Taylor/Neve booth and told
the guy there what I thought of the amplified sound. He said he didn't
have a problem with that - it was a guitar with a pickup. (which is
how I described the sound)

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

ScotFraser

Never played a J160 that came anywhere near the acoustic sound of this
J-50, which admittedly has been massaged by Lance McC.
BRBR

I was thinking of the built-in pickup aspect.

Scott Fraser

Recording acoustic guitar and vocal Mark Pro Audio 18 August 28th 04 09:24 AM
Recording Acoustic Guitar - avoiding unwanted sound? Brian Huether Pro Audio 12 November 29th 03 01:31 PM
Mic Questions Twist Turner Pro Audio 22 November 25th 03 03:04 AM
Microphone to record vocals + classical & acoustic guitar Contortion Pro Audio 6 November 19th 03 03:44 PM
Small Condenser reccomendations for acoustic guitar mbenson Pro Audio 6 July 25th 03 07:55 AM