ScotFraser

I'm guessing that
he didn't get an answer in class and that's why he asked here.
BRBR

Yeah, unfortunately some self-certified superior being had to slam the kid for
not already knowing the answer to the question he was asking.

Scott Fraser
Pooh Bear

Mike Rivers wrote:

In article writes:

The 48 VDC is voltage..and we assume that it's really 48 and is stabilized,
so adding more mics doesn't load the circuit down to something less than
48VDC.

Different condenser mics have different power requirements. Some need
more mA (millamps) than others. Some console power supplies are not designed
to properly power all mics. The result is increased distortion and lower
headroom on the mics themselves.

It's not hard to build a power supply with sufficient current capacity
to handle any reasonable number of microphones, and most well designed
consoles are so equipped. However, when it comes to budget-priced
consoles, often the 48 volt supply is a low power DC-DC converter
running off the op-amp power supply.

Actually Mike, I know of no such instance and I'm pretty familiar with the 'usual
suspects' in the low cost console arena.

Truth is, a DC-DC converter tends to be quite expensive.

It's much easier/cheaper to put an extra tap on the power supply transformer or
use a 'charge pump' arrangement to derive a 'high voltage' from the AC used for
the op-amp supplies.

This is considerably less
expensive than using a separate power transformer or a transformer
with a separate winding for the 48V power supply (wall-wart power is a
dead giveaway) but rarely provides enough current for a "full house"
of microphones.

Errr.. it seems I disagree ( have never seen this - the dc to dc converter - used
in any of the major brands of budget desks ).

The charge pump is historically popular and is the arrangment usually least likely
to be able to power many mics due to its poor regulation of the ( pre 48V
regulator ic ) unregulated high voltage supply vs load current ( supply droop ).

Graham

Pooh Bear

ScotFraser wrote:

I'm guessing that
he didn't get an answer in class and that's why he asked here.
BRBR

Yeah, unfortunately some self-certified superior being had to slam the kid for
not already knowing the answer to the question he was asking.

In the UK ( where the OP posted from ) - it's normal to have passed some relevant
exams before going to college.

I think there's a difference between UK and US usage here. I believe that in the
US you can go to 'college' at an earlier age with less academic knowledge.

We don't have compatible schemes of education and assessment of ability but I
would expect anyone attending one of the very few UK audio courses to be (a) lucky
to be there (b) to have some knowledge of electricity that already includes volts
and amps.

The absence, apparently, of (b) reinforces my opinion that UK higher education is
going to the dogs.

Graham

Pooh Bear

Patrick Dunford wrote:

In article in rec.audio.pro on Fri,
24 Sep 2004 19:46:58 GMT, Logan Shaw says...

By the way, as for why it's 48V, I think that has to do with
a compromise.

No, like the 600 ohms impedance, 48V comes to us from telephone
technology. That is the voltage that phantom power on your telephone line
uses.

There's nothing *phantom* about it - lol !

Only 2 wires used in telephony :-)

Graham

Pooh Bear

ScotFraser wrote:

I'm guessing that
he didn't get an answer in class and that's why he asked here.
BRBR

Yeah, unfortunately some self-certified superior being had to slam the kid for
not already knowing the answer to the question he was asking.

Yeah - and if doesn't know his volts from his amps - all those long winded
explanations about V=IR will be lost on him

I hate to see good education wasted on those who clearly don't have a clue about
the subject.

Education was once seen as a privilege - not an excuse for lame timewasters with
no clue to act the dosser.

Graham

ScotFraser

I hate to see good education wasted on those who clearly don't have a clue
about
the subject.

This would appear to be a perfect example of the previously mentioned
difference between US & UK notions of higher education. In the US the
assumption is one attends college to learn what one doesn't already know. Seems
the UK version is more of an advanced degree in a subject already mastered.

Education was once seen as a privilege - not an excuse for lame timewasters
with
no clue to act the dosser.

We don't have dossers in the US, but it's generally the lame timewasters who
DON'T attend college (with the prominent exception of GW Bush.)

Scott Fraser

S O'Neill

Mike Rivers wrote:

I'm not familiar with the term "charge pump" but that's probably what
I was thinking of when I said "DC-to-DC Converter." I haven't seen the
classic oscillator/transformer/rectifier circuit used in this
application, but I have seen tricks where the op-amp power supply has
been goosed up without transformers.

A voltage multiplier circuit, the one with the cleverly-arranged caps
and diodes. It doesn't need a transformer, so it's frequently a
square-wave generator going to an electrolytic which charges through one
diode then discharges through another diode into another cap. It can be
cascaded to make triplers, quadruplers, etc, or negative supplies.
Maxim makes EIA-232 driver chips that have this built in, to make +/-
12v from +5v. If you follow the electrons around the circuit over
several cycles, a mental image of a positive-displacement water pump may
appear, hence the name.

Richard Crowley

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
I'm not familiar with the term "charge pump" but that's probably
what I was thinking of when I said "DC-to-DC Converter."

a.k.a. "voltage multiplier", a clever series of capacitors and diodes
explained: http://www.tpub.com/neets/book7/27m.htm et. al.

Scott Dorsey

S O'Neill wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:

[...]

This is also very commonly built with a 555 timer in order to get small
amounts of higher voltages without using a hybrid converter module. Many
microphones use similar circuits inside to crank the 48V phantom up to
a higher voltage to polarize the capsule.

Patrick Dunford

In article in rec.audio.pro on Sun, 26
Sep 2004 01:42:42 +0100, Pooh Bear
says...
Patrick Dunford wrote:

In article in rec.audio.pro on Fri,
24 Sep 2004 19:46:58 GMT, Logan Shaw says...

By the way, as for why it's 48V, I think that has to do with
a compromise.

No, like the 600 ohms impedance, 48V comes to us from telephone
technology. That is the voltage that phantom power on your telephone line
uses.

There's nothing *phantom* about it - lol !

Only 2 wires used in telephony :-)

It's called phantom in both cases because it doesn't use extra wires to
carry the power.

Pooh Bear

ScotFraser wrote:

I hate to see good education wasted on those who clearly don't have a clue
about
the subject.

This would appear to be a perfect example of the previously mentioned
difference between US & UK notions of higher education. In the US the
assumption is one attends college to learn what one doesn't already know. Seems
the UK version is more of an advanced degree in a subject already mastered.

In the UK it would tend to be more of an advanced course at college in a subject
that the student already has some knowledge of.

Education was once seen as a privilege - not an excuse for lame timewasters
with
no clue to act the dosser.

We don't have dossers in the US, but it's generally the lame timewasters who
DON'T attend college (with the prominent exception of GW Bush.)

We get that too but here, sadly, college / university education is no longer the
province of those who intend to use it to further their career opportunities.

A degree is also certainly not anything like an almost guaranteed job ticket
anymore. Of those I know who have passed degrees in recent years - not *one* has
obtained a job in the subject studied. Some have simply become bar or shop staff.
This is what happens when you devaluate further education.

Graham

Scott Dorsey

Patrick Dunford wrote:

In article in rec.audio.pro on Fri,
24 Sep 2004 19:46:58 GMT, Logan Shaw says...

By the way, as for why it's 48V, I think that has to do with
a compromise.

No, like the 600 ohms impedance, 48V comes to us from telephone
technology. That is the voltage that phantom power on your telephone line
uses.

There's nothing *phantom* about it - lol !

Only 2 wires used in telephony :-)

It's called phantom in both cases because it doesn't use extra wires to
carry the power.

Well, originally the notion was to "phantom" a telegraph line in top of
a telephone circuit by DC signalling between ground and both sides of the
telephone line.