Barry & Nikki

Default Weird problem involving an Amp

OK bare with me on this one please. OK Some "dude" purchased a stereo from
me. Red flags went up immediately on my end because this scenario ("doesn't
work") always happens when out of the blue I get a request for an older
model stereo that I have listed as being available on my website. First
thing makes me wonder why in the H$## would someone want an old stereo when
I have 1-2 year old stereos also listed? Anyhow;I know 100% that everything
functioned prior to it leaving my hands. Upon receiving the headunit the
dude claims the stereo does not work. He claims there is no output from the
remote turn on lead and no sound from the RCA's. After further emails he
says that when the stereo is turned on there is no light on on his amp. When
the stereo is turned off the light comes on??? This one is beyond me. I
told him to check his grounds etc. He of course is positive his amp is
working correctly (coming from someone whom asked if possibly the red power
wire on the stereo could be hooked to his amp remote lead to get it working
correctly). I think otherwise. Anyone got ANY ideas?
I have a few theories but I am not going to accuse anyone; I'll just let
it brew inside me knowing I am getting the shaft here.

Dark1

"Barry & Nikki" wrote in message
[...]

Many HU's (pioneer I remember for sure in particular) used the same ic to
power the remote as the rca's.. they would always die together if someone
shorted the remote wire out..nothing unusual about this at all..

Dark1

"Dark1" wrote in message

[...]

and btw, the rca's & remote are the only thing to go with that one.. if you
use the internal amp only, you may never even know anything was wrong..

Barry & Nikki

I understand where everyone is coming from however; I cannot follow one
aspect of this theory. Let me see if I am following everything correctly. If
the remote turn on lead took a hit from some power source and took it out
and the RCA's; WHY? would the amp power indicator light be turning on when
the stereo power is off and then the indicator light turns back off when the
stereo is ON? Does that have something to do with the fried transistor that
controls the power distribution in that circuit? From my experience thus far
(not saying it cannot happen) when a transistor fries it just does nothing;
thus wondering why it would basically be functioning in reverse from what it
is intended in this case if it is in fact the stereo.

"Dark1" wrote in message

[...]

Barry & Nikki

You know at this point I am not sure of anything dealing with this guy
except he is very incompetent when it comes to installing car audio (made
loud and clear when he asked about hooking up a RED power wire to the amp
remote turn on; which I would be willing to bet he actually tried). I tried
my best to help him diagnose his problem but now all he wants is his money
back stating that I can sell it to someone else. THANKS BUDDY!!! I can
really sell a fried stereo to someone else. I'm just hoping he disappears
but this is the real world most of us live in.

Dark1

"Barry & Nikki" wrote in message
You know at this point I am not sure of anything dealing with this guy
except he is very incompetent when it comes to installing car audio (made
loud and clear when he asked about hooking up a RED power wire to the amp
remote turn on; which I would be willing to bet he actually tried). I
tried
my best to help him diagnose his problem but now all he wants is his money
back stating that I can sell it to someone else. THANKS BUDDY!!! I can
really sell a fried stereo to someone else. I'm just hoping he disappears
but this is the real world most of us live in.

well hooking up the red to the remote woud turn on the amp.. or maybe he's
talking about jumping the +12v lead to remote? either way.. it works..
I'd lay money the dude touched the remote to the amp chassis during install
and fried that oh-so-important ic...
dollars to donuts with me anyway..