Bob

Default Advisable to Bridge HU Outputs?

Any comments on bridging the front left/rear left outputs and the front
right/rear right outputs from a standard head unit (say, 35W x 4) to
power a single pair of speakers (for those with only one pair of
functioning speakers).

Bob wrote:
Any comments on bridging the front left/rear left outputs and the

front
right/rear right outputs from a standard head unit (say, 35W x 4) to
power a single pair of speakers (for those with only one pair of
functioning speakers).

Bridge means two outputs replace with one output.

joe.ker

Most head units are not bridgeable. there were a few older pioneers that you
could bridge the rear channels.

--
The Clown Prince of Car Stereo

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any comments on bridging the front left/rear left outputs and the front
right/rear right outputs from a standard head unit (say, 35W x 4) to
power a single pair of speakers (for those with only one pair of
functioning speakers).

Bob

1. mmdir2, do you suffer from down's syndrome?

2. Anyway, Joe and MZ say that a std. HU's outputs are unbridgable.
Any particular reason? Would I risk frying my 2 speakers, or the head
unit, if I were to bridge the front/rear for each side and run them to
my speakers (my speakers can certainly handle more than double the
power they are currently getting from the head unit)? Or would the
audio signals just be out of phase?

3. Anyone dare me to try it anyway? Hehe ;-()

joe.ker

You would risk frying your head unit because the unit is not designed to
bridge. Not all amps are bridgeable either.
Most Bridgable amps have 2 terminals that are common with each other,
usually a + & - and the 2 remaining are the bridged outputs. Most all head
units have no common terminals on the outputs, so you would be trying two
different signals together and risking frying your head unit.

--
The Clown Prince of Car Stereo

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
1. mmdir2, do you suffer from down's syndrome?

2. Anyway, Joe and MZ say that a std. HU's outputs are unbridgable.
Any particular reason? Would I risk frying my 2 speakers, or the head
unit, if I were to bridge the front/rear for each side and run them to
my speakers (my speakers can certainly handle more than double the
power they are currently getting from the head unit)? Or would the
audio signals just be out of phase?

3. Anyone dare me to try it anyway? Hehe ;-()

Bob

Thanks joker, I won't do it. You saved my head unit!

MZ

1. mmdir2, do you suffer from down's syndrome?

2. Anyway, Joe and MZ say that a std. HU's outputs are unbridgable.
Any particular reason? Would I risk frying my 2 speakers, or the head
unit, if I were to bridge the front/rear for each side and run them to
my speakers (my speakers can certainly handle more than double the
power they are currently getting from the head unit)? Or would the
audio signals just be out of phase?

3. Anyone dare me to try it anyway? Hehe ;-()

Well, in most cases, they're already bridged.

Here's one way of looking at it. Most head units cannot safely handle a 2
ohm load. The amount of current the head unit would have to deliver to a 4
ohm bridged load is equivalent to driving stereo 2 ohm loads.

This site may help: www.bcae1.com/brighead.htm

Eric Desrochers

Bob wrote:

Any comments on bridging the front left/rear left outputs and the front
right/rear right outputs from a standard head unit (say, 35W x 4) to
power a single pair of speakers (for those with only one pair of
functioning speakers).

HU cannot be bridged as they already are. That's the way they found to
break the 4.5 watts barrier and go to 18 watts, back in the mid 80s.

That's also why you cannot use a common negative speaker lead (to save a
wire) nor ground the negative speaker output to the car body (and save
two wires).

--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers
http://homepage.mac.com/dero72