PVP9847

Default How in the hell do you mic a bagpipe???

mic 'em from about 10 feet away

Rob Adelman

Doc wrote:

They're a rock group that features
bagpipes, they sound great.

I would think with the state of dynamics in modern music, bagpipes would
fit in perfectly.

Aren't they pretty much full blown on, or off?

Bob Ross

Scott Dorsey wrote:

You don't need any sound reinforcement
with the highland pipes.

I have an annual gig mixing monitors for the mainstage of a 3 day Irish Music
Festival, & I've noticed an awful lot of what can I suppose best be described as
GenX Irish Rock Bands...twenty-something-yearold guys with an equal respect for
traditional Irish folk music & post-Nirvana grunge rock. Typical instrumentation
is electric guitar, electric bass, drumkit, plus 2 or 3 guys on the more
traditional instruments: button accordion, fiddle, mandola, Uilleann pipes,
Highland pipes, banjo, etc.

When the SVT & the blackface Twin get crankin' you'd better believe the Highland
pipes need some help. If I'm lucky, the guy's already got some kinda mic already
attached/installed (...not that the audience listening to close-miked pipes is
particularly lucky). Otherwise I park an SM58 on a tall boom & let the player
stand wherever he wants.

I have not see any good way of miking the Uilleann pipes for PA. Most folks
put a single mike between the performer's legs, pointed up, and this does
not work worth a damn.

I usually put a pair of dynamic mics on short boom stands on either side of the
piper, parallel to the floor facing inwards maybe 8" from the chair. Most of the
players will then grab them and move them to taste, but even if they don't the
results sound good & they don't feedback into the wedges.

/Bob Ross

Ricky W. Hunt

"Josh Snider" wrote in message

Like the old joke: Why do bagpipe players walk around as they play? To

try
and get away from the noise.

That isn't it. It is because a moving target is much harder to hit.

What's the definition of a gentleman?

Someone who CAN play the bagpipes but DOESN'T

Or "definition of optimist" - a bagpipe player with a beeper.

John L Rice

Default No mic needed Electric Bagpipes

Do you know if it was a Deger, a Fagerstrom or that other one with the
square box?

John L Rice

"George Gleason" wrote in message
Just finished a festival with "enter the haggis"
www.enterthehaggis.com
the piper along with his reg pipes had a electric bagpipe, just a di line
to the desk!!!!!!!!!!!!

George

John L Rice

"John L Rice" wrote in message
Do you know if it was a Deger, a Fagerstrom or that other one with the
square box?

I have no Idea it looked like a chanter he did not have to blow into it
George

Hi George,

I was just curious. Our piper has a Deger and that's probably what you
saw/heard :
http://www.deger.de/

Here is a site that shows the Deger, Fagerstrom and the Ross :
http://www.songsea.com/electronic.html

John L Rice

George Gleason

"John L Rice" wrote in message
Do you know if it was a Deger, a Fagerstrom or that other one with the
square box?

I have no Idea it looked like a chanter he did not have to blow into

it
George

Hi George,

I was just curious. Our piper has a Deger and that's probably what you
saw/heard :
http://www.deger.de/

Here is a site that shows the Deger, Fagerstrom and the Ross :
http://www.songsea.com/electronic.html

It was the deger, even after 15 years of live shows I always learn something
never saw one of these before
of course the amplifies sound resembled a bag but did not carry to ambient
"energy "of a set of war pipes
George

Mike Rivers

"George Gleason" wrote in message ...

It was the deger, even after 15 years of live shows I always learn something
never saw one of these before
of course the amplifies sound resembled a bag but did not carry to ambient
"energy "of a set of war pipes

Maybe that's because you could turn it down. g

Kind of like the guy I'm afraid we scared away who wanted electronic
drums for his church group because the electric guitars weren't as
loud as the drums.