Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] alexxx.magni@gmail.com is offline

Default Which microphone to record ambient sounds

Hi everybody,

I intend to use a computer connected to a microphone, to record the
sounds/music/voices in a big room. Sound quality is not too important.
My problem at the moment is which microphone to choose.
All the mic's I tried are able to pick the sounds just when you use
them speaking from a very small distance - I want instead to record any
sound in a big space!

Can you suggest me something, please?

Thanks for your help!

Alessandro Magni

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS GregS is offline

In article . com, " wrote:
Hi everybody,

I intend to use a computer connected to a microphone, to record the
sounds/music/voices in a big room. Sound quality is not too important.
My problem at the moment is which microphone to choose.
All the mic's I tried are able to pick the sounds just when you use
them speaking from a very small distance - I want instead to record any
sound in a big space!

I would use a boundry mic, but the biggest issue would be to have a suitable
compressor to get all the sounds in there. Perhaps also a mix preamp or mixer
in front of the compressor. i would first search for an all in one unit,
preferably with an isolated output to the computer.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech

wrote ...
Hi everybody,

I intend to use a computer connected to a microphone, to record the
sounds/music/voices in a big room. Sound quality is not too important.
My problem at the moment is which microphone to choose.
All the mic's I tried are able to pick the sounds just when you use
them speaking from a very small distance - I want instead to record
any
sound in a big space!

Can you suggest me something, please?

Are you saying that the microphones you tried are
not working for recording "sound in a big space"?
Unless you were trying noise-cancelling mics (which
seems unlikely) any mic can pick up noise from as
far away as you can hear.

So what is the exact problem you found with the
microphones you tried?