Default Headphones

while listening music through a head phone many may have noticed that
sometimes a particular sound may appear to come from the centre of the
head and sometimes from both of your ears simultaneously ...

Howz that ??
I suppose that if the electric signal comes to both of the speakers in
the head phone in phase, the music will appear to come from the centre
of your head.and if there is a phase shift (multiples of
360degrees)between the signals then the sound will appear to come from
the ears simultaneously..

Is that true ??

Mr.T

wrote in message
oups.com...
while listening music through a head phone many may have noticed that
sometimes a particular sound may appear to come from the centre of the
head and sometimes from both of your ears simultaneously ...

Howz that ??
I suppose that if the electric signal comes to both of the speakers in
the head phone in phase, the music will appear to come from the centre
of your head.and if there is a phase shift (multiples of
360degrees)between the signals then the sound will appear to come from
the ears simultaneously..

Is that true ??

Pretty close, except that a phase shift in multiples of 360 deg will still
appear to be in phase (but with a time delay).
When the sound appears to come from outside the head, the phase shift will
be closer to 180 deg.

MrT.

polymod

wrote in message
oups.com...
while listening music through a head phone many may have noticed that
sometimes a particular sound may appear to come from the centre of the
head and sometimes from both of your ears simultaneously ...

Howz that ??
I suppose that if the electric signal comes to both of the speakers in
the head phone in phase, the music will appear to come from the centre
of your head.and if there is a phase shift (multiples of
360degrees)between the signals then the sound will appear to come from
the ears simultaneously..

Is that true ??

It also could be caused from something much simpler.
If I have a mono vocal track panned dead center, it sounds like it's comming
from the center.
If I clone the track and pan one hard right and the other hard left, it will
sound like both sides simultaneously, not the center.

Poly

Dave Platt

polymod wrote:

It also could be caused from something much simpler.
If I have a mono vocal track panned dead center, it sounds like it's comming
from the center.
If I clone the track and pan one hard right and the other hard left, it will
sound like both sides simultaneously, not the center.

If that's the case, then the "clone" operation in your DAW is doing
something to alter the phase or frequency relationships of the two
clones so that they are no longer identical.

There is no difference, sonically, or electrically, between one signal
which is "panned dead center", and two identical copies of the signal
panned hard-left and hard-right at the same amplitude as the
center-panned one.

My understanding is that in most DAWs, track cloning applies some form
of comb filtering and/or delay to the cloned copies, so that they
differ significantly in both frequency and phase. This allows the
clones to be distinguishable by the ear and brain, and allows them to
be panned independently.

As to the original poster's question: a single signal reproduced
exactly in-phase in both left and right ears will tend to sound "in
the middle of the head". It's possible to shift the apparent position
of the sound by altering either the amplitude, or the phase/timing, of
one of the two ear signals with respect to the other.

The greatest apparent left/right split tends to occur when the signals
fed to the two ears are 180 degrees out of phase... this produces a
somewhat odd sensation in some cases.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Jim Gregory

Switch your routeing or monitoring to dual mono (A+B) and listen to same
material again.
Does *everything* sound in the middle of your head now? Any "stereo" live or
recorded music production should be configured and checked as 100%
compatible with its mono sum.
Some digital systems have a cheapo unfair channel delay when serial data is
processed, so when decoded to analog, one channel's info always arrives
microseconds later than it should (out of synch).
Early, !st gen CD players were notorious for their inability to deliver
stereo in synch.
Jim

Jerry G.

If the left and right sound from both sides is in phase, and is of the same
volume, it should be heard dead centre, as if it was in the centre of your
head. This is normal, providing your hearing is also of normal sensitivity
for each ear.

--

My wife read your question, and started to laugh. She almost fell on the
floor!

She said that it is the air space in the centre of the head, that allows the
sound to mix proportionally. It then gets trapped between the base of the
neck, the back of the skull, and the brain at the top side. The only way out
is back through the ears, and now it is heard as being in the centre!

Go figure this one out... I am still trying...

--

Jerry G.
======

wrote in message
oups.com...
while listening music through a head phone many may have noticed that
sometimes a particular sound may appear to come from the centre of the
head and sometimes from both of your ears simultaneously ...

Howz that ??
I suppose that if the electric signal comes to both of the speakers in
the head phone in phase, the music will appear to come from the centre
of your head.and if there is a phase shift (multiples of
360degrees)between the signals then the sound will appear to come from
the ears simultaneously..

Is that true ??

mick

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:20:35 -0500, Jerry G. wrote:

snip

My wife read your question, and started to laugh. She almost fell on the
floor!

She said that it is the air space in the centre of the head, that allows
the sound to mix proportionally. It then gets trapped between the base of
the neck, the back of the skull, and the brain at the top side. The only
way out is back through the ears, and now it is heard as being in the
centre!

Go figure this one out... I am still trying...

Yay!!! I love that explanation!!
I think she must be from r.a.high-end...
;-)

--
Mick
(no M$ software on here... :-) )

Laurence Payne

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:30:34 -0500, "polymod"
wrote:

If I have a mono vocal track panned dead center, it sounds like it's comming
from the center.
If I clone the track and pan one hard right and the other hard left, it will
sound like both sides simultaneously, not the center.

Then your cloning process is imperfect. What is centre-panning other
than an identical signal in each channel?
polymod

wrote:

If I have a mono vocal track panned dead center, it sounds like it's

comming
from the center.
If I clone the track and pan one hard right and the other hard left, it

will
sound like both sides simultaneously, not the center.

Then your cloning process is imperfect.

No. I was stoned and stupid. And not necessarily in that order. I have no
idea what the f*ck I was thinking. One of the most absurd statements I've
made...at least that I'm aware ofg.

Poly