Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

Default Question EV RE-510

Quick question regarding the EV RE-510 handheld vocal condensor
microphone. I've read some comments on the net (far fewer than I'd
expected) about this mic, and have had a chance to try one out. Our
singer is considering picking one up.

It seems to sound fine for rehearsals (he has one on loan), but I
think he's sounded solid on just about everything I've stuck in front
of him so far. He has an excellent voice and great mic technique.

My go-to mic when people ask about live vocal mics is often the Shure
Beta-58. They do a pretty good job of cutting through on loud stages
and sound engineers aren't afraid of them, so it would be more likely
they'd let him use HIS mic.

The other option is a Sennheiser EW series handheld wireless system.
My wife currently uses one (I forget the model number) and he's tried
it with excellent results.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if there are any other real-world reviews
of this mic. Scott Dorsey stated he hadn't had the best of luck with
EV condensors in the past in a RAP post, but the RE20, PL10 and 11,
etc., all get rave reviews. I understand the RE-510 may not have been
designed by EV?

This mic will be used live (not in the studio) for a 70's arena-rock
band. The vocalist is doing everything from Blue Oyster Cult to Rush.
I'd love to hear suggestions for other industry standard mics, but am
more interested in thoughts about this specific mic, as I've never
used (or seen) one before last week.

Thanks!

Corey