Default will sound improve with a sacd player?

I am really happy with my current system. It is basically a NAD Cd
player, Golden Theater pre-amp and amp and Triangle speakers and a APEX
dvd player wich I like because it plays everything and even converts
NTSC to PAL.
I am thinking of buying a universal SACD/DVD Audio but will like to
know if it is a worthwhile buy.

Questions:

1) If I was to buy some of the currente SACD/DVD Audio releases like
Pink Floyd=B4s Dark Side... or Norah Jones, etc., will I hear a real
difference? Will I say, wow! it justifies the bought, what an amazing
incredible "new" sound? Or not?

2) Will it improve the sound I get on my DTS/DD movies and concertos I
see on my regular DVD player?

Thank you!!

I am really happy with my current system. It is basically a NAD Cd
player, Golden Theater pre-amp and amp and Triangle speakers and a

APEX
dvd player wich I like because it plays everything and even converts
NTSC to PAL.
I am thinking of buying a universal SACD/DVD Audio but will like to
know if it is a worthwhile buy.

Questions:

1) If I was to buy some of the currente SACD/DVD Audio releases like
Pink Floyd=B4s Dark Side... or Norah Jones, etc., will I hear a real
difference? Will I say, wow! it justifies the bought, what an amazing
incredible "new" sound? Or not?

Very possibly, at least in some cases. A lot of the older recordings
have been remastered for re-release, many of them for the better.

2) Will it improve the sound I get on my DTS/DD movies and concertos

see on my regular DVD player?

Unlikely.

One thing to recognize is that these new formats are not taking off,
and will probably never constitute more than a couple of percent of all
releases. On the other hand, universal players can be had for under
$200 these days (I think). If you don't mind paying that price for
hearing a little bit of music better, then it's worthwhile.

bob
Long Rod Penetrator

This brings up an important side issue. I own about 80 SACDs and
DVD-As, and most of them sound wonderful. However, fact of the matter
is, so do most of my remastered CDs (referring to CDs remastered in the
past five or ten years or so).

So, to expand on this guy's question, do you really think SACD and
DVD-A are audibly better because of their higher bit rates, or are they
better simply because they have been newly remastered? In the case of
my surround-sound titles, the analog multitracks were first transferred
to digital, then digitally mixed, then mastered. I figure anything
given that kinda treatment is likely to sound pretty good.

As a point of reference, I went back and listened to Hendrix's "Live at
Winterland" the other day, which was recorded in 1968. The eight-track
tapes were transferred to digital and mixed in 1987, and it was
something of a landmark release at the time (it was one of the earliest
"CD-only" releases and, as such, used the disk's full length). That
title still sounds wonderful on red-book CD, and I'm assuming all the
digital work was done at 16/44.1 or 16/48, nothing like what they can
do today.

Anyway, even though I support high-resolution digital (particularly
SACD), I'm not convinced it's making a substantial difference.
Harry Lavo

"Long Rod Penetrator" wrote in message
[...]

Those are all good points. The best way I know to reach a judgment is to
try to get as equivalent a recording as possible and two equivalent
machines. Not very practical, but comparing the hybrid CD layer of say a
Sony ES SACD player vs. the two channel SACD layer on an identical player,
both fed into side by side analog inputs with average volumes matched,
should work. Assuming you use SACD's that have the remix on both, which as
I am sure you know, some do and some don't. Short of that we can only
guess.

I can say that when I first got my first SACD player (a Sony CS222ES) I
deliberately sought out SACD's which had simple, classical two channel mixes
that I already owned on LP, CD, pre-recorded tape, and sometimes two out of
the three. Listened both casually and critically and took careful notes
while in the latter mode.. Since my CD system using the SACD player and
phonograph system have virtually identical timbral balance, they formed a
good comparison. And the tape deck (an open reel Teac 4070) is flat from 35
to 20khz (measured) so it also sounded timbrally similar. Doing what
comparisons I could, the SACD's came out very well....sense of ease and
depth like LP's; better bass,dimensionality, and high-end smoothness than
CD; and greater transparency and less 2nd harmonic distortion than tape
(although the latter actually made taped voices sound a bit better).

At this point I've stopped worrying about it. I tremendously enjoy
classical and pop in multi-channel using both SACD and DVD-A, and the
reissue of many old jazz classics on SACD in much better sound has been a
tremendous blessing. Plus, the better sound has rekindled my flame to
purchase music, and I have resumed a habit I last had in my twenties of
buying more than I should every month. :-)

Stewart Pinkerton

On 18 May 2005 23:58:55 GMT, wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 17 May 2005 02:41:32 GMT,
wrote:

I am really happy with my current system. It is basically a NAD Cd
player, Golden Theater pre-amp and amp and Triangle speakers and a APEX
dvd player wich I like because it plays everything and even converts
NTSC to PAL.
I am thinking of buying a universal SACD/DVD Audio but will like to
know if it is a worthwhile buy.

Questions:

1) If I was to buy some of the currente SACD/DVD Audio releases like
Pink Floyd´s Dark Side... or Norah Jones, etc., will I hear a real
difference? Will I say, wow! it justifies the bought, what an amazing
incredible "new" sound? Or not?

Probably - but that's because the new DSOTM is multi-channel, not
because SACD is 'better' in any other respect.

2) Will it improve the sound I get on my DTS/DD movies and concertos I
see on my regular DVD player?

Marginally, but you have to be listening very closely, especially with
DTS at high bitrates.

If I understand his question correctly, he's asking whether he'll get
better sound on movie soundtracks (and concert video DVDs) with a
universal player than with a standard DVD-V player. Why would a
universal player handle DD/DTS better?

I misinterpreted the question, I thought he was asking if
multi-channel SACD would sound better than DD/DTS. The only reason a
'universal' player *might* handle DD/DTS better than a straight DVD
player is that it will be a newer design, and it will have DACs
capable of handling 24/192.

Mark DeBellis

I was listening today to the recently remastered Heiftez/Munch
performances of the Beethoven and Mendelssohn Violin Concertos on RCA
Hybrid SACD. ((P) 2004)

Comparing CD and SACD layers:

(1) The SACD sound seems somehow more *palpable* to me. I'm not sure
how else to put it, except that there is a tactile quality to it --
listening through headphones. Especially on something like a timpani
roll. What about the technology, if anything, might explain this
apparent quality?

(2) I have an impression somehow that SACD conveys attacks better--the
starts of notes--they are better defined. Is there an objective basis
for this impression?

If SACD sounds better than CD (as I think it does), *why* does it
sound better? I understand that SACD has a higher effective sampling
rate (if I am right about that), but why does that make an audible
difference? Is it a question of the artifacts caused by digital
filters, as some have stated? (I am confused; I thought oversampling
fixed that.) I skimmed through Ken Pohlmann's book on digital audio
and I got some idea of why CD works well but didn't come away with a
very good idea of why SACD should be perceivably better (quite
possibly my fault, not his).

I realize the topic of CD vs. SACD has been broached on this group
before, but in my searches so far I've found more opinion than
explanation, so I'm grateful to anyone who can point me in the right
direction.

(And to answer the question that I know will inevitably arise, no, I
don't know if the CD layer on the Heifetz recording starts with an
identical master to that on the SACD.... And to put my impressions in
context,they are via Sennheiser HD-600, Sony DVP-NS500V DVD/SACD
player, Bryston preamp, and Benchmark DAC-1. To be sure ... it sounds
gorgeous either way.)

Thanks,

Mark
Steven Sullivan

Mark DeBellis wrote:
I was listening today to the recently remastered Heiftez/Munch
performances of the Beethoven and Mendelssohn Violin Concertos on RCA
Hybrid SACD. ((P) 2004)

Comparing CD and SACD layers:

(1) The SACD sound seems somehow more *palpable* to me. I'm not sure
how else to put it, except that there is a tactile quality to it --
listening through headphones. Especially on something like a timpani
roll. What about the technology, if anything, might explain this
apparent quality?

- different mastering on the two layers
- different playback levels/EQ/circuitry for the two layers

non-technological reason:

- 'sighted' bias

(2) I have an impression somehow that SACD conveys attacks better--the

starts of notes--they are better defined. Is there an objective basis
for this impression?

If SACD sounds better than CD (as I think it does), *why* does it

sound better?

see above

I understand that SACD has a higher effective sampling rate (if I am
right about that), but why does that make an audible difference?

There's precious little evidence that it does, at least for playback.

Is it a question of the artifacts caused by digital filters, as some

have stated? (I am confused; I thought oversampling fixed that.) I
skimmed through Ken Pohlmann's book on digital audio and I got some idea
of why CD works well but didn't come away with a very good idea of why
SACD should be perceivably better (quite possibly my fault, not his).

It's not surprising that SACD should be *perceived* as better, given how
SACD has been marketed. However, the scientific evidence that they *are*
audibly better, is indeed, hard to find.

I realize the topic of CD vs. SACD has been broached on this group

before, but in my searches so far I've found more opinion than
explanation, so I'm grateful to anyone who can point me in the right
direction.

I would refer you also to Nika Aldrich's recent bookk, 'Understanding
Digital Audio', which does have some treatment of SACD.

--

-S
It's not my business to do intelligent work. -- D. Rumsfeld, testifying

Chung

Mark DeBellis wrote:

[...]

Probably you should do a simple test: let someone else change the player
so that you don't know whether it is playing the CD or the SACD layer.
Then you try to guess which layer is being played. If you are
consistently correct, then you may have a valid point that those two
layers sound different. The difference can still be caused by mastering,
of course.

So here are some technical differences between SACD and CD:

(a) CD is basically hard-limited to 20 KHz or so. If you can hear above
that, SACD can give me more information, asssuming of course there is
information in the master tape.

(b) Some SACD players actually have very large supersonic noise. That
could cause problems in certain amplifiers. If you are listening to a
preamp output through headphones, that probably should not be a problem.

(c) A lot of players have different output levels for CD and for SACD,
so level matching is very important in comparing the two layers.

BTW, how do you set the levels? It sounds like you are using the
external DAC to listen to CD and the Sony to listen to the SACD layer.
Long Rod Penetrator

Harry Lavo wrote:

Assuming you use SACD's that have the remix on both, which as
I am sure you know, some do and some don't.

Now there's another issue worthy of a tangential rant! Derek and the
Dominos' classic "Layla" is a good example of the surround and stereo
layers being sorely out-of-whack on SACD.

Anyone familiar with the history of "Layla" knows that the original
1970 mix was just awful -- built-up tape noise was almost unbearable,
and the bass was mixed hard-left. Subsequently, the multitracks were
lost, and we were stuck with what we had. "Layla" became famous as the
"great rock album with bad sound" (kinda like "Exile on Main Street").
But, alas, the tapes were re-discovered, and Bill Levenson remixed the
entire album (and extras) in 1990, which was a *huge* improvement.

In 2004 they reissued "Layla" on hybrid surround SACD, and it sounds
wonderful! Hard to believe the same tapes yielded this kind of
eveloping sound. Later, though, I played the new disk in my car and it
was immediately obvious that the CD layer has the original noisy mix!
So I went back inside and checked out the stereo SACD layer and . . .
same thing! For the CD and SACD stereo layers, they remastered from the
original master tape -- never mind that the mix sucked! Why couldn't
they at least have used the 1990 remix? What were these people
thinking?

So, yeah, "some do and some don't." Don't I know it.
Stewart Pinkerton

On 24 May 2005 23:49:17 GMT, Mark DeBellis wrote:

I was listening today to the recently remastered Heiftez/Munch
performances of the Beethoven and Mendelssohn Violin Concertos on RCA
Hybrid SACD. ((P) 2004)

Comparing CD and SACD layers:

(1) The SACD sound seems somehow more *palpable* to me. I'm not sure
how else to put it, except that there is a tactile quality to it --
listening through headphones. Especially on something like a timpani
roll. What about the technology, if anything, might explain this
apparent quality?

Nothing, except that the mastering was almost certainly different on
the SACD version. Apples and oranges.

(2) I have an impression somehow that SACD conveys attacks better--the
starts of notes--they are better defined. Is there an objective basis
for this impression?

Only the sighted bias that you *know* SACD has *potentially* wider
bandwidth. OTOH, consider the fact that the ubiquitous large-capsule
studio microphone rolls off at about 18kHz, so that its unlikely that
the *master* tape actually contains anything outside the range of CD.

If SACD sounds better than CD (as I think it does), *why* does it
sound better? I understand that SACD has a higher effective sampling
rate (if I am right about that), but why does that make an audible
difference?

SACD as a medium has wider bandwidth than CD, but the dynamic range at
high frequencies is poorer than CD, and there's a shedload of
ultrasonic noise for the amplifier to contend with. Some amps react
badly to this, producing lots of audible IM distortion.

Is it a question of the artifacts caused by digital
filters, as some have stated? (I am confused; I thought oversampling
fixed that.)

Mostly, it did.

I skimmed through Ken Pohlmann's book on digital audio
and I got some idea of why CD works well but didn't come away with a
very good idea of why SACD should be perceivably better (quite
possibly my fault, not his).

No, you seem to have grasped the essentials! :-)

I realize the topic of CD vs. SACD has been broached on this group
before, but in my searches so far I've found more opinion than
explanation, so I'm grateful to anyone who can point me in the right
direction.

(And to answer the question that I know will inevitably arise, no, I
don't know if the CD layer on the Heifetz recording starts with an
identical master to that on the SACD.... And to put my impressions in
context,they are via Sennheiser HD-600, Sony DVP-NS500V DVD/SACD
player, Bryston preamp, and Benchmark DAC-1. To be sure ... it sounds
gorgeous either way.)

Well, that's the main thing! Note additionally that if it's an old
Heifetz recording, it's terminally unlikely that there's anything
above 20kHz on it anyway, so the *theoretical* advantage of SACD
disappears.

Jocelyn Major

A SACD is supposed to give you the same quality of sound as a LP. I
found difference between regular CD vs LP all in favor of the LP. I
compare a DVD-AUDIO with an Oracle Delphi and the Oracle still win
except the difference where not as dramatic as with CD vs the Oracle.
All the audio quality that was lost with CD is supposed to be there with
SACD. The difference in sound that you noticed with this SACD is
exactly what you will find if you compare a CD with a good (NOT
JAPANESE) Turntable (LIKE ORACLE, LINN, CLEARAUDIO, ProJect) and a clean
LP in good condition. The SACD is supposed to be finally the LP Killer
that the CD promised (but was a sound killer instead).
The CD If I am correct use PCM ( data is upsampled, recorded, and
noise-filtered and downsampled.
Again if I am correct SACD use DSD : Basically, it removed much of the
filtering and downsampling, leaving a purer digital signal to be
recorded. The encoding on the SACD is supposed to be lossless. So the
sound that is playback is closer to the analog sound.

Owners of Good turntable did'nt have any good reason (except
convenience) to change to the CD. With SACD they are supposed to NOW
have a good reason to switch. Personnaly I will have to try a SACD
Player before deciding if I will switch.

Bye

Chung a écrit :
Mark DeBellis wrote:

[...]

Harry Lavo

"Mark DeBellis" wrote in message
I was listening today to the recently remastered Heiftez/Munch
performances of the Beethoven and Mendelssohn Violin Concertos on RCA
Hybrid SACD. ((P) 2004)

Comparing CD and SACD layers:

(1) The SACD sound seems somehow more *palpable* to me. I'm not sure
how else to put it, except that there is a tactile quality to it --
listening through headphones. Especially on something like a timpani
roll. What about the technology, if anything, might explain this
apparent quality?

(2) I have an impression somehow that SACD conveys attacks better--the
starts of notes--they are better defined. Is there an objective basis
for this impression?

That's not just an impression, it is now recognized as the truth. The SACD
is the only digital hi-rez system that accurately reproduces a 3ms transient
pulse. PCM "smears" the transient with pre-echo and ringing, and has a lot
of that post-impulse as well. Except for 192khz PCM, the "time-smear" lasts
longer than the known window of perception of human hearing, and so is
theoretically audible. Many of us feel it is indeed audible and that it
accounts for the slightly "artificial" quality of CD's when compared to SACD
or 192khz PCM (which unfortunately very few producing DVD-A recordings
actual include for reasons of space limitation). 96khz PCM falls somewhere
in between CD and 192khz transient performance.

Both SACD and DVD-A have a lower noise floor in the most audible section of
the frequency response range, from about 100hz up to about 8khz. This, in
combination with the superior transient response of SACD, is why the attack
of instruments, particularly percussion and percussive instruments like the
piano, xylophone, etc. sound very lifelike in SACD compared to CD and why
they seem to have more "body". As you mention, even though the CD may sound
identical on the surface after a very good remaster, if you listen carefully
in the areas you mention you can hear the difference. On a CD that has been
sloppily mastered (even if the mix is the same), the difference will be
easily obvious because the compression and limiting will distort transient
response even more.

Harry Lavo

Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, that kind of "shortcut" behavior tends to associate with the
major labels. The smaller labels and the more audiophile ones tend to take
more care/have more real concern for audio quality IME. So it's a Hobson's
choice manytimes: first rate talent and compromised sound, or unknown (and
sometimes second-rate) talent and excellent sound.

Mark DeBellis

On 25 May 2005 23:56:22 GMT, Steven Sullivan wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:

(1) The SACD sound seems somehow more *palpable* to me. ...
Especially on something like a timpani
roll. What about the technology, if anything, might explain this
apparent quality?

- different mastering on the two layers
- different playback levels/EQ/circuitry for the two layers

Is there an example of a recording (pref. classical) where it is known
that the mastering is the same, that the EQ, mix, etc., are the same
(if this makes sense), i.e., where the variables have been eliminated
as much as possible, so that the comparison is between CD and SACD not
other factors?

Also ... can there be differences other than ones intrinsic to the
formats that might affect the quality of recordings? I mean something
like this--say: if the mastering is done a certain way it will result
in higher quality, but it is difficult or expensive to transfer such a
master to CD, whereas it is easier or cheaper to put on SACD. So it
would turn out that in general SACDs would be better recordings, even
though any particular master would sound the same on CD and SACD. In
other words, it's conceivable that there are technical reasons why
issuing on SACD could promote higher quality at other parts of the
chain. Is that possible, or is it the case that, in fact, the other
variables are independent (in terms of cost, convenience, etc.) of
whether the final product is CD or SACD?

Thanks

Mark
Mark DeBellis

On 25 May 2005 23:57:28 GMT, Chung wrote:

Probably you should do a simple test: let someone else change the player
so that you don't know whether it is playing the CD or the SACD layer.
Then you try to guess which layer is being played.

BTW, how do you set the levels? It sounds like you are using the
external DAC to listen to CD and the Sony to listen to the SACD layer.

Thanks to Chung and Stewart for your replies.

Yes, I use the DAC for the CD and listen to SACD via Sony-preamp
headphone output. Chung, I like your idea of doing a simple test. I
am going to try the following setup: I will rip CD to my computer,
which sends a digital signal to the DAC, which in turn outputs to the
preamp. I can then listen to either signal using the headphone jack
on the preamp, and switch using the input knob. I can adjust the
level either from the computer (I am using a Creative Audigy 2 NX
sound card; I am not exactly sure what adjusting the volume actually
does to a digital signal) or from the DAC. (Which is better? Does
the setup I describe sound plausible?) I will match the levels by ear
as best I can (is there any other practical way for me to do this?),
and then report back. (I will ask someone else to control the input
knob.)

As an aside ... the thing that gets me about audio is that it is very
hard to know what one is getting. I am annoyed at the hype and the
fact that an expensive CD player may sound no different from an
inexpensive one. My own personal preference would be for the
inexpensive and accurate player (until someone gives me good reason to
think that I ought to change my preferences). The catalog for one
internet/mail-order company is filled with many, many tweaks, green
pen type things, each of which purports to "improve soundstage," and
the like. I don't know how they think they can retain credibility, if
they care about that at all. I say they can't *all* be effective,
that at least in most cases any perceived change is the result of
expectation bias, and that the people who list them all in the catalog
and promise great results for every one do not have much of a critical
attitude to filter out the junk. And that is disappointing from a
retailer. What I would like to see in this hobby is a greater amount
of shared knowledge, and a realistic sense of what the actual,
perceptually relevant differences there are in equipment so people can
know what it is that they are choosing and why.

Speaker cables are another example where I think I have wasted money.

That is why I appreciate the efforts of many of you to replace hype
with knowledge.

Mark
Mark DeBellis

p.s. I guess there is a simpler question related to what I have
already asked: why would a record company use different masters (EQ,
etc.) for the CD and stereo SACD layers? It sure looks deceptive,
because it will cause people to mistakenly attribute differences to
SACD vs. CD, but maybe there are other reasons why they would use
different masters?

Thanks.

Mark
Chung

Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to adjust the volume by
applying digital gain adjustments to the wave file that eventually gets
streamed to the DAC. That does not work. Certainly not well. Any digital
gain adjsutment will affect (probably adversely) the signal-to-noise
ratio of the resulting output.

One way to check level balance is to use your Audigy 2 NX to record the
SACD and the CD layer outputs separately to your PC/laptop, then inspect
the wave files and compare peak levels (or average levels). That tells
you how different the two output levels are, and then you can match by
marking the volume control knob on your preamp so that the two layers
will play at the same level on your headphones.

(Which is better? Does
the setup I describe sound plausible?) I will match the levels by ear
as best I can (is there any other practical way for me to do this?),
and then report back. (I will ask someone else to control the input
knob.)

Like I said above, you can match level by inspecting the statistics of
the .wav files.

[...]

Chung

Mark DeBellis wrote:

p.s. I guess there is a simpler question related to what I have
already asked: why would a record company use different masters (EQ,
etc.) for the CD and stereo SACD layers? It sure looks deceptive,
because it will cause people to mistakenly attribute differences to
SACD vs. CD, but maybe there are other reasons why they would use
different masters?

Thanks.

Mark

You may want to read this Stereophile article:

http://www.stereophile.com/news/11649/

My guess is that they introduced the differences to make them sound a
little different, so that the consumer does not feel disappointed that
the SACD layer does not sound different.
Chung

Jocelyn Major wrote:

A SACD is supposed to give you the same quality of sound as a LP.

That would be terrible news! You mean SACD has 60-70 dB dynamic
range, 15 KHz bandwidth on a good day, bass summed to mono, poor
separation, etc?
Chung

Harry Lavo wrote:

"Mark DeBellis" wrote in message
I was listening today to the recently remastered Heiftez/Munch
performances of the Beethoven and Mendelssohn Violin Concertos on RCA
Hybrid SACD. ((P) 2004)

Comparing CD and SACD layers:

(1) The SACD sound seems somehow more *palpable* to me. I'm not sure
how else to put it, except that there is a tactile quality to it --
listening through headphones. Especially on something like a timpani
roll. What about the technology, if anything, might explain this
apparent quality?

(2) I have an impression somehow that SACD conveys attacks better--the
starts of notes--they are better defined. Is there an objective basis
for this impression?

That's not just an impression, it is now recognized as the truth.

Please provide data that SACD conveys attacks better in an audible way.
You are confusing truth with impressions.

To do a fair comparison, make sure the same master/mix is used, levels
are matched, and that the CD layer is not intentionally degraded or
processed differently (like different peak levels, noticeable clipping,
etc.). Then do a a blind comparison.

The SACD
is the only digital hi-rez system that accurately reproduces a 3ms transient
pulse.

And please tell us the significance of accurately reproducing a 3ms
transient pulse, in audio terms?

PCM "smears" the transient with pre-echo and ringing, and has a lot
of that post-impulse as well. Except for 192khz PCM, the "time-smear" lasts
longer than the known window of perception of human hearing, and so is
theoretically audible. Many of us feel it is indeed audible and that it
accounts for the slightly "artificial" quality of CD's when compared to SACD
or 192khz PCM (which unfortunately very few producing DVD-A recordings
actual include for reasons of space limitation).

So it's just that many of you feel that way, not a "truth".

96khz PCM falls somewhere
in between CD and 192khz transient performance.

Both SACD and DVD-A have a lower noise floor in the most audible section of
the frequency response range, from about 100hz up to about 8khz. This, in
combination with the superior transient response of SACD, is why the attack
of instruments, particularly percussion and percussive instruments like the
piano, xylophone, etc. sound very lifelike in SACD compared to CD and why
they seem to have more "body". As you mention, even though the CD may sound
identical on the surface after a very good remaster, if you listen carefully
in the areas you mention you can hear the difference. On a CD that has been
sloppily mastered (even if the mix is the same), the difference will be
easily obvious because the compression and limiting will distort transient
response even more.

The really amazing thing to me is the vinyl rigs produce a really poor
transient response, and yet some audiophiles wax poetic about how close
SACD is to vinyl.
Harry Lavo

Mark DeBellis wrote:

(1) The SACD sound seems somehow more *palpable* to me. ...
Especially on something like a timpani
roll. What about the technology, if anything, might explain this
apparent quality?

- different mastering on the two layers
- different playback levels/EQ/circuitry for the two layers

Is there an example of a recording (pref. classical) where it is known
that the mastering is the same, that the EQ, mix, etc., are the same
(if this makes sense), i.e., where the variables have been eliminated
as much as possible, so that the comparison is between CD and SACD not
other factors?

Many of the early Sony stereo, SACD-layer-only disks were direct lifts of
the final two-track master (not the LP master). The sound identical in
every detail and aspect because they are...other than to the intrinisic
processing required for SACD. If you listen to an origianal LP or
pre-recorded tape of these performances, you will hear the media differences
rather than the mix differences.

Most of the straight-DSD classical recordings of the last three years also
mix to the same two channel mix for the hybrid CD layer and for the stereo
SACD layer. They usually use a Meitner converter and can take a DSD or
high-rez PCM out of the convertor. Of course the CD layer has to be down
converted. Some would argue that they are subject to further manipulation,
but the ones I have from Phillips seem to have identical dynamic range on
both CD and SACD layer.

Specific examples of the former on Columbia are the Szell/Rossini Overtures,
the Ormandy/Verdi Requiem, and the Walter Beethoven Fifth. Specific
examples of the latter are the Phillip's Fischer/Dvorak Symphonies 8 & 9 and
the Fischer/Dvorak Slavonic Dances.

Also ... can there be differences other than ones intrinsic to the
formats that might affect the quality of recordings? I mean something
like this--say: if the mastering is done a certain way it will result
in higher quality, but it is difficult or expensive to transfer such a
master to CD, whereas it is easier or cheaper to put on SACD. So it
would turn out that in general SACDs would be better recordings, even
though any particular master would sound the same on CD and SACD. In
other words, it's conceivable that there are technical reasons why
issuing on SACD could promote higher quality at other parts of the
chain. Is that possible, or is it the case that, in fact, the other
variables are independent (in terms of cost, convenience, etc.) of
whether the final product is CD or SACD?

Well, since much of the reason for being for SACD is better sound, in
general the remix engineers and producers try to do a careful job. Usually
this means going back to the origianl master tape (stereo or multitrack,
rather than to the production masters as do many conventional reissues).
Doing this and using modern technology often results in improved sound. And
when it comes to new recordings, both DSD and 192/24 PCM recording beat
anything that has gone before hands down for sound quality. You will hear
this on CD as well, but not to the same extent as you will on SACD or DVD-A.

Thanks

Mark

Harry Lavo

[...]

If you are going to do this, pick several sections of music that your prior
listening suggests reveal the difference, and listen to that section for
each, at least 3-4 minutes. Don't worry about "comparing", just listen to
what you hear. Then after you've switched a few times A to B, B to A...make
your selection. The only thing that should change is what your friend
starts with...keep the ABBA order the same (the reason is sometimes the
change is more evident in one direction than the other). Wait a minute and
a half between switches...this is very important as current research suggest
s quicker switching does not allow the brain/emotions to adjust to clearly
differentiate between samples using your whole brain. If you do this, each
"test" will take about 20 minutes. Then take a ten-minut break between
tests.

You'll have to do 15 to 20 tests to have a good chance at statistical
reliability, so you'll probably have to do this over several days. Then
you'll have to supply statistics...how many tests done, how many correct in
order to find out whether the results support a difference, or not (a
"null").

If anybody here tries to convince you to test another way, do it if you
want. But the reason I am stressing the above is because this kind of
testing has been shown to differentiate, and most importantly, the testing
(preliminarily, not yet confirmed) seems to reveal that the tratditional
quick-switch testing is too rapid to allow the brain to adjust, and actually
obscures results, rather than promoting true identification of differences.

snip

Harry Lavo

"Mark DeBellis" wrote in message
p.s. I guess there is a simpler question related to what I have
already asked: why would a record company use different masters (EQ,
etc.) for the CD and stereo SACD layers? It sure looks deceptive,
because it will cause people to mistakenly attribute differences to
SACD vs. CD, but maybe there are other reasons why they would use
different masters?

They generally don't...it is cited as a strawman here by many who don't like
the idea of SACD, but in reality you'll find the layers very similar,
*unless* the company decides to take an older CD master and put it on the CD
layer. This is usually done with pop and rock (presumably in the belief
that buyers want to own the "original" as well as the high-rez), and is
hardily ever done for classical or jazz.

Mark DeBellis

On 25 May 2005 23:57:28 GMT, Chung wrote:

Probably you should do a simple test: let someone else change the player
so that you don't know whether it is playing the CD or the SACD layer.
Then you try to guess which layer is being played. If you are
consistently correct, then you may have a valid point that those two
layers sound different. The difference can still be caused by mastering,
of course.

First of all: when I set things up I was suprised that the sounds were
so close. I was expecting there to be more of a difference.

The material was about a minute's worth of the first mvt. of the
Beethoven (about 3:00-4:00), prominently featuring solo violin
(Heifetz recording of the concerto).

This is how I ran the test: We started with a neutral position on the
input knob with no sound. Then my wife randomly selected either CD or
SACD. I listened for a few seconds, then asked her to switch to the
other one. I asked her to switch back and forth (the number of times
varied). Eventually I attempted to say which source I was currently
hearing. (Hence, my choice is what determined which source was the
last one to play, and which I labelled.) She immediately told me if
my guess was right or wrong. Each of those things constituted a
trial, and we ran 11 trials (before she couldn't take it any more).

There was no way to tell by clicks on the input knob which one was
selected. I matched levels by ear prior to the test as best I could.
Earlier today I spent some time (20 mins.) trying to "learn" what each
sounded like, and I did a little of that right before the test.

Here's the raw data, showing the source that was playing when I
applied the label, the label I applied, and whether I was right or
not:

TRIAL SOURCE GUESS SUCCESS

1. SACD CD no
2. SACD CD no
3. SACD SACD yes
4. SACD SACD yes
5. SACD CD no
6. CD SACD no
7. CD CD yes
8. SACD CD no
9. SACD CD no
10. SACD CD no
11. SACD CD no

The data speaks for itself, but I find the following interesting: 7
out of 11 times, I thought I was hearing the CD but actually was
hearing the SACD. One possible explanation: there is a difference
between the two, and on my equipment the CD sounds better, but I
expected the SACD to sound better so I labelled the better-sounding
one as SACD? (I was not consciously thinking of either as "better,"
though, just trying to label them correctly.)

Does the outcome suggest something other than chance, anyway (even
though it obviously indicates that I can't label the sources
reliably)?

Here is what I now believe: I am not prepared to abandon immediately
the idea that SACD sounds better. But clearly skepticism is in order,
because based on how things seemed to me beforehand, I thought that it
would be easy to get 100% (right) on this test. I had the impression
of a clear perceptual difference over which I had as much control as,
say, the colors of oranges vs. bananas. But if there is a difference,
it is much subtler than it appeared it would be.

Now I am going to go back to my stereo and listen for pleasure. To
SACD, of course :-)

Thank you again, Chung, for suggesting this; it was interesting and I
am sure there is much I can learn from it.

Mark
Steven Sullivan

Mark DeBellis wrote:

(1) The SACD sound seems somehow more *palpable* to me. ...
Especially on something like a timpani
roll. What about the technology, if anything, might explain this
apparent quality?

- different mastering on the two layers
- different playback levels/EQ/circuitry for the two layers

Is there an example of a recording (pref. classical) where it is known
that the mastering is the same, that the EQ, mix, etc., are the same
(if this makes sense), i.e., where the variables have been eliminated
as much as possible, so that the comparison is between CD and SACD not
other factors?

Even if you could be sure of equal recording chains-- and the record here
from layers that have been compared objecively is spotty -- you're still
left with the second possibility -- that you CD/SACD player(s) don't
output CD and SACD with the same bass management, EQ, output level.

Isn't it odd, though, that the developers of SACD and DVD-A have never
published any such trials...surely difference must be 'obvious' and the
marketing value would have been great?

Also ... can there be differences other than ones intrinsic to the

formats that might affect the quality of recordings? I mean something
like this--say: if the mastering is done a certain way it will result in
higher quality, but it is difficult or expensive to transfer such a
master to CD, whereas it is easier or cheaper to put on SACD. So it
would turn out that in general SACDs would be better recordings, even
though any particular master would sound the same on CD and SACD. In
other words, it's conceivable that there are technical reasons why
issuing on SACD could promote higher quality at other parts of the
chain. Is that possible, or is it the case that, in fact, the other
variables are independent (in terms of cost, convenience, etc.) of
whether the final product is CD or SACD?

Your scenario doesn't sound plausible to me, but how about this one: SACDs
are hyped as sounding better than CDs, so record companies make sure that
SACD remasters use the right source tapes, and are mastered carefully on
good equipment.
Steven Sullivan

Mark DeBellis wrote:
p.s. I guess there is a simpler question related to what I have
already asked: why would a record company use different masters (EQ,
etc.) for the CD and stereo SACD layers? It sure looks deceptive,
because it will cause people to mistakenly attribute differences to
SACD vs. CD, but maybe there are other reasons why they would use
different masters?

One tendency is to use more compression and other loudness-enhancing
tricks on the CD layer, perhaps on the assumption that these will be
played in cars. One example of this is Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the
Moon' -- but even Telarc has admitted to the practice.

I've always been intrigued by what could happen in a real DBT with such a
comparison using layers that are different in this way...because the human
tendency is to find the louder of two presentations to sound 'better'.

Audiophile magazanes, AFAIK, have *never* reviewed SACD vs CD layers in
blind fashion...the reviewer *always* knows which format he's hearing.
Steven Sullivan

Steven Sullivan wrote:

I would refer you also to Nika Aldrich's recent bookk, 'Understanding
Digital Audio', which does have some treatment of SACD.

Correction -- the book is titled 'Digital Audio Explained'

--

-S
It's not my business to do intelligent work. -- D. Rumsfeld, testifying
before the House Armed Services Committee

Stewart Pinkerton

On 26 May 2005 23:46:21 GMT, Jocelyn Major
wrote:

A SACD is supposed to give you the same quality of sound as a LP.

I certainly hope not!!

I found difference between regular CD vs LP all in favor of the LP. I
compare a DVD-AUDIO with an Oracle Delphi and the Oracle still win
except the difference where not as dramatic as with CD vs the Oracle.

That's simply a matter of personal preference, rather than any kind of
'quality' indicator.

All the audio quality that was lost with CD is supposed to be there with
SACD. The difference in sound that you noticed with this SACD is
exactly what you will find if you compare a CD with a good (NOT
JAPANESE) Turntable (LIKE ORACLE, LINN, CLEARAUDIO, ProJect) and a clean
LP in good condition.

Denon and Technics both made turntables as good as any you name, and
significantly better than the overhyped Linn - which was generally
used with Japanese arms and Japanese cartridges, and none the worse
for that.

Furthermore, differences between SACD and CD are extremely subtle,
quite unlike the gross difference between either of those and vinyl.
Don't believe everything you read in the hi-fi press!

The SACD is supposed to be finally the LP Killer
that the CD promised (but was a sound killer instead).
The CD If I am correct use PCM ( data is upsampled, recorded, and
noise-filtered and downsampled.

That's not a description of PCM. PCM samples sound at a rate slightly
more than twice the highest frequency of interest (22kHz for CD),
stores the samples, and then reads them back via a DAC which has at
its output a reconstruction filter. This filter is a match for the
anti-aliasing filter at the input to the ADC, and simply ensures that
nothing above 22kHz appears in the output signal. Noise shaping is
only required in oversampled systems, where audio band dynamic range
is traded for ultrasonic noise.

DSD is simply an extreme example of oversampling, and uses a 1-bit
system sampled at a couple of megaHertz and noise-shaped to achieve
similar audio band dynamic range to a 16-bit system sampling at
44.1kHz. Sony have been using high-oversampling DACs in their CD
players for many years, eventually clocking them at 45 MHz!

Again if I am correct SACD use DSD : Basically, it removed much of the
filtering and downsampling, leaving a purer digital signal to be
recorded. The encoding on the SACD is supposed to be lossless. So the
sound that is playback is closer to the analog sound.

Utter garbage, and there's no reason whatever to suppose that DSD is
'purer' than PCM. Besides which, Sony were forced to drop DSD for
recording, due to a fatal flaw in the 1-bit process, and now use what
they call DSD Wide, which is simply another name for oversampled
hybrid PCM, the same system that you'll find in most modern 24/192
DACs.

Owners of Good turntable did'nt have any good reason (except
convenience) to change to the CD.

Sure they did - no surface noise, no pops and clicks, much better bass
response, no wow and flutter, vastly less distortion - essentially,
the sound of the original master tape.

Those aren't matters of convenience.

Chung

Mark DeBellis wrote:

[...]

I can give me my anecdote, so take it with a grain of salt. I am
familiar with the Muuray Perahia's excellent digital recording of Bach's
Goldberg Varations. I bought the CD version first, and I have become
quite familiar with it. I then bought a SACD player and one of the first
discs I got was the same recording on SACD (not hybrid). The first time
I listened to the SACD, I thought it sounded smoother (for lack of a
better word). Then I listened to both again, paying attention to match
levels as best I could. I found that the differences cannot be reliably
detected at all. The two versions sounded surprisingly (at that time)
similar. If someone were to randomly select the CD or SACD for me
without my knowledge, I cannot tell which is being played.

But I have also seen quite a bit of evidence that the layers can be
substantially different, like what that Stereophile article described.
Therefore, I believe that the average audiophile simply does not have
the ability/tools/prerequisites to tell the performance of the two media
apart. They can pick a preference, but that preference is not
necessarily based on the accuracy of the technologies at all.
Harry Lavo

"Chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

This is a well understood engineering phenomenon, Chung. It is not an
extraordinary claim at all. And I just recently pointed out that pictures
showing the comparison of the various media and media sampling rates were
handed out at the ISOmic suite at HE2005.

To do a fair comparison, make sure the same master/mix is used, levels
are matched, and that the CD layer is not intentionally degraded or
processed differently (like different peak levels, noticeable clipping,
etc.). Then do a a blind comparison.

The ISOmic work was done with exactly the same 4ms pulse, so the response
differences were obvious.

I just recently ran across a commentary by Jean Jarre (but can't remember
where and can't lay my hands on it). He will only record at 192/24. He
said they did level-matched bypass tests in the studio using white noise.
Said 192/24 had barely perceptible difference, 96/24 was perceptibly
different but not bad. 44.1/16 was atrocious and sounded nothing like the
bypass signal With white noise, the only effect you would hear is the pulse
effect I descibed. He discribed also listening to the "tails" of cymbal
fade using the three media, and while the higher rates sounded like cymbals,
the CD fades with a tsk-tsk-tsk-tsk sound. Said henceforth he will not
release anything but DVD's and DVD-A.

BTW in my experience, the sound of cymbals is probably the most consistent
give-away of CD sound versu either SACD or DVD-A.

The SACD
is the only digital hi-rez system that accurately reproduces a 3ms

transient
pulse.

And please tell us the significance of accurately reproducing a 3ms
transient pulse, in audio terms?

The "naturalness" of attack on all kinds of sounds.

PCM "smears" the transient with pre-echo and ringing, and has a lot
of that post-impulse as well. Except for 192khz PCM, the "time-smear"

lasts
longer than the known window of perception of human hearing, and so is
theoretically audible. Many of us feel it is indeed audible and that it
accounts for the slightly "artificial" quality of CD's when compared to

SACD
or 192khz PCM (which unfortunately very few producing DVD-A recordings
actual include for reasons of space limitation).

So it's just that many of you feel that way, not a "truth".

It's a physical truth. Whether it bothers you audibly probably varies
person to person. To me, it has always been an annoying feature of
so-called "CD sound".

[...]

I think it is more that they don't screw up the transients the way
low-sample-rate digital does, which bears no resemblance to anything in the
natural world. There is no "pre-echo" in the natural world.

Harry Lavo

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 26 May 2005 23:46:21 GMT, Jocelyn Major
wrote:
snip

Utter garbage, and there's no reason whatever to suppose that DSD is
'purer' than PCM. Besides which, Sony were forced to drop DSD for
recording, due to a fatal flaw in the 1-bit process, and now use what
they call DSD Wide, which is simply another name for oversampled
hybrid PCM, the same system that you'll find in most modern 24/192
DACs.

How many times you going to repeat this canard? Sony's commercial recording
always used the "wide" version...from the very beginning they claim. The
single-bit claim is a consumer, decoding claim. Moreover, the critics who
made the claim have subsequently retracted the criticism.

Listen to the Phillips Fischer recordings done pure DSD in 1998 and
1999....do they sound "flawed" to you. They are generally acknowledged to
be among the better-sounding recordings out on SACD.

Owners of Good turntable did'nt have any good reason (except
convenience) to change to the CD.

Sure they did - no surface noise, no pops and clicks, much better bass
response, no wow and flutter, vastly less distortion - essentially,
the sound of the original master tape.

Those aren't matters of convenience.

Most will acknowledge they welcomed fewer clicks and pops. But the better
bass response and freedom from wow and flutter are very marginal
improvements, as the deficiencies in practice were not that great. BTW, to
the latter point I again pulled out a random solo piano disk
today....Rubenstein's "My Favorite Chopin". Listened critically a few times
for Chung's ever-present "wow and flutter"....and heard none. Greatly
enjoyed the recording.

Mark DeBellis

On 27 May 2005 21:09:20 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

If you are going to do this, pick several sections of music that your prior
listening suggests reveal the difference, and listen to that section for
each, at least 3-4 minutes. ...

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try to do as you suggest. The
main challenge will be finding someone to cooperate.

I have already posted results on (what I regard as) a quick-switch
test where I usually misidentified the source. I tried again today,
using speakers and much longer excerpts (ca. 5-10 minutes), without
switching back and forth, and I seem to be improving:

SOURCE GUESS SUCCESS
1. SACD SACD yes
2. CD CD yes
3. SACD SACD yes
4. CD SACD no
5. CD CD yes
6. CD CD yes
7. CD SACD no

(By CD, I really mean my computer outputting 16/44.1.)

Subjectively it seemed to me that trial 4 was harder than the previous
three. Anyway, two things occur to me: fatigue can be a factor in
this, and toward the end, my memory for what SACD sounds like may not
have been so good since there was a string of 4 CDs in a row. Is it
better to refresh with a sighted exposure to both stimuli before each
trial?

Mark

Mark DeBellis

On 27 May 2005 21:09:20 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

If you are going to do this, pick several sections of music that your prior
listening suggests reveal the difference, and listen to that section for
each, at least 3-4 minutes. Don't worry about "comparing", just listen to
what you hear. Then after you've switched a few times A to B, B to A...make
your selection.

By "make your selection," do you mean say which one is which ... ?

Because ... I realize this issue of testing has been discussed at
great length, so thank you for your patience as I work my way up the
learning curve ... so the following is probably a naive question, but
anyway:

why is it a requirement that one be able to reliably *identify* the
things in question? If we're trying to disprove the hypothesis that
the stimuli are sonically identical (so that any perceived difference
is due to expectation bias), wouldn't it be sufficient to demonstrate
that the subject exhibits a different response to one than to the
other? That would be a weaker requirement than identification. So
for example, suppose I set up my stereo to play either the SACD or the
CD (at the same level), and on each trial I listen to the whole
movement and I say how beautiful I thought the sound was on a scale
from 1 to 10. If the average rating I give on the SACD trials is,
over a large number of trials, different from the average on the CD
trials, doesn't that show I am responding differently to the two, and
that there is some difference I am reacting to? (If there is no
difference, then wouldn't any disparity in the scores average out in
the long run?)

I wonder whether the protocol of listening to short snippets and
trying to identify which source they are coming from might be
comparable to the following: suppose I think that an original painting
is more beautiful than a very good reproduction. You say, there is no
difference; it's all expectation bias. To prove it, let's have me
compare any given one-inch square of the original canvas with the
corresponding square of the reproduction, on a quick-switch test.
Sure enough ... I'll look at a given square and I won't be able to say
reliably whether it comes from the original or the reproduction.
Clearly, this is testing for the wrong thing. What has to be compared
is the Gestalt of looking at the whole painting (vs. the
reproduction), because what I am responding to as beautiful is the
whole thing, not individual squares.

The thing is that an identification test makes sense in the case of
pictures, because if I look at the original, then immediately after
that the reproduction, and then "X", if I can't tell which one X is
then there probably is no difference. But in the case of music the
relevant stimulus is something that takes up a length of time, because
the aesthetic reaction is to a long stretch of music, not to
individual notes, and it is impossible to hold a long stretch in
memory in order to make a direct comparison.

Any reaction to that, or note of obvious errors, is appreciated ...

Mark
Steven Sullivan

Mark DeBellis wrote:
On 25 May 2005 23:57:28 GMT, Chung wrote:

Probably you should do a simple test: let someone else change the player
so that you don't know whether it is playing the CD or the SACD layer.
Then you try to guess which layer is being played. If you are
consistently correct, then you may have a valid point that those two
layers sound different. The difference can still be caused by mastering,
of course.

First of all: when I set things up I was suprised that the sounds were
so close. I was expecting there to be more of a difference.

Here's what I got when I fed the 2-channel analog output of my DV-45a
(with bass management off, output level set to 'fixed', delay settings the
same for all channels) to an M-audio 2496 soundcard, capturing the audio
to digital with Audition at 32 bits, with the SACD/CD layer versions of
'Street Fighting Man' (from Beggars's Banquet) by the Rolling Stones as
source. Recording levels were chosen to avoid any chance of clipping, but
were kept the same for SACD and CD.

peak dB SACD -10.1 (left) -10.5 (right)
peak dB CD -8.9 -9.0
avg dB SACD -25.2 -26.4
avg dB CD -23.7 -25.0

Dynamic range (dB):
avg-peak SACD 15.1 15.9
avg-peak CD 14.8 16.0

So, from this, either the mastering is different, or my player outputs the
two formats differently.

When the files are normalized to peak = 0 dB , the
differences become much smaller:

peak CDrip 0.0 -0.1*
peak SACD 0.0 -0.4
peak CD 0.0 -0.1
avg dB SACD -15.1 -16.3
avg dB CD -14.8 -16.1
avg dB CDrip -14.6 -16.0
DR SACD 15.1 15.9
DR CD 14.8 16.0
DR CDrip 14.6 15.9

*digital rip of CD version; not normalized since peak of rip = 0 dB for
both channels

Stewart Pinkerton

[...]

Let's get this in proportion, Harry. *One* researcher, Oohashi, has
come up with this theory, it has *not* been verified by other research
teams, so it is, for the moment, speculation. It also flies in the
face of decades of research which indicates that quick-switched tests
are the most sensitive, so don't go making claims just yet. OTOH,
threre's good reason to test this way, just to see if it *does* make a
difference. Of course, he should *also* do some quick-switched
'snippet' testing to see if there's any meat on the bones of Oohashi's
claims.

You'll have to do 15 to 20 tests to have a good chance at statistical
reliability, so you'll probably have to do this over several days. Then
you'll have to supply statistics...how many tests done, how many correct in
order to find out whether the results support a difference, or not (a
"null").

Yup, getting to the truth is a tedious business, but hobbyists are
notoriously obsessive.

If anybody here tries to convince you to test another way, do it if you
want. But the reason I am stressing the above is because this kind of
testing has been shown to differentiate, and most importantly, the testing
(preliminarily, not yet confirmed) seems to reveal that the tratditional
quick-switch testing is too rapid to allow the brain to adjust, and actually
obscures results, rather than promoting true identification of differences.

Maybe so, maybe no. You need to try *both* methoids to find out which
is more sensitive. I know where I'll place *my* bet.

Mark DeBellis wrote:

[...]

You could do it that way. Psychoacoustics researchers generally don't
do it that way, because they've found other methods that are both more
efficient and more sensitive. There is an ill-informed anti-empiricist
strain of audiophilia that rejects this, however.

I wonder whether the protocol of listening to short snippets and
trying to identify which source they are coming from might be
comparable to the following: suppose I think that an original painting
is more beautiful than a very good reproduction.
You say, there is no
difference; it's all expectation bias.

No one would ever say this. Warning: visual analogies never work here.
Ever.

To prove it, let's have me
compare any given one-inch square of the original canvas with the
corresponding square of the reproduction, on a quick-switch test.

No one would ever claim that looking at a one-inch square bit of a
painting is an effective way of judging its beauty. You're proposal
here is nonsensical.

Sure enough ... I'll look at a given square and I won't be able to say
reliably whether it comes from the original or the reproduction.
Clearly, this is testing for the wrong thing. What has to be compared
is the Gestalt of looking at the whole painting (vs. the
reproduction), because what I am responding to as beautiful is the
whole thing, not individual squares.

The thing is that an identification test makes sense in the case of
pictures, because if I look at the original, then immediately after
that the reproduction, and then "X", if I can't tell which one X is
then there probably is no difference. But in the case of music the
relevant stimulus is something that takes up a length of time,

Depends on what you're listening for. If you're trying to judge the
overall quality of a musical composition/performance, then of course
you need to listen to the whole thing. But if you're trying to compare
two audio reproduction systems, it can be much more effective to listen
to and immediately compare much shorter snippets of sounds,
particularly sounds that are notoriously challenging to reproduce. This
isn't speculation. It's settled science among those who study human
perception for a living. It's only rejected by the anti-empiricist
fringe in the audiophile world.

because
the aesthetic reaction is to a long stretch of music, not to
individual notes, and it is impossible to hold a long stretch in
memory in order to make a direct comparison.

Your final clause gets it right. It is indeed impossible to remember
partial loudness differences for more than a brief moment, which
renders long-term comparisons hopeless.

bob

"Further carefully-conducted blind tests will be necessary
if these conclusions are felt to be in error."
--Stanley P. Lip****z
Chung

Mark DeBellis wrote:

[...]

So Mark, do you still find the two layers sounding quite different when
you don't know which one is playing, and after some level matching?