Don Pearce

Default W1238R: Different T/S parameters at Meniscus and Madisound?

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:20:46 -0800, "Aden Lynds"
wrote:

I bought two W1238R 12" woofers to build a pair of subs. Both the
MeniscusAudio.com site and the Madisound site list T/S parameters for this
driver, only problem being the parameters are different on each site. Using
WinISD beta I get two very different boxes using each set of paramaters, 56
l box with the Madisound parameters and 105 l using the Meniscus parameters.

Does anyone have experience using this driver and can possibly explain the
dicrepancy or advise on which are more accurate for this driver.

Meniscus W1238R:
Fs 21
Qts 0.31
Vas 250 l
Xmax 8mm
SPL 89 db

Madisound W1238R:
Fs 21.48
Qts 0.252
Vas 236.55 l
Xmax 8mm
SPL 92 db

Also If anyone has experience using this driver, please tell me about what
worked for you.

Rob_Soul

They aren't actually that different (apart from SPL) - they pretty
certainly encompass the kind of tolerance you would expect to find
between individual samples of a driver. You could measure for yourself
quite easily - some details here http://sound.westhost.com/tsp.htm
although I haven't checked the method personally.

I have to say though that an Xmax of 8mm sounds very much on the low
side for a subwoofer driver.

http://www.pearce.uk.com