Blind Joni

Default 8X DVD Burner?

I saw an 8X burner at Office Max yesterday..company called MagicSpin..chinese.
Anyone used a fast burner yet? Any info?

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Arny Krueger

"Blind Joni" wrote in message

I saw an 8X burner at Office Max yesterday..company called
MagicSpin..chinese. Anyone used a fast burner yet? Any info?

Yeah, I burned two DVD-R discs yesterday at my remote site using a Pioneer
DVR 106. One burned at 4x on Imation media, the other burned at 1x on
no-name media. Each had 6 tracks of 1 hour 44/24. About 4.2 GB per disc.
Both had unrecoverable errors in the last track when I read them on one DVD
drive, but one read well enough on another DVD drive. That leaves me with
one track that I'll have to revist the remote site to pick up.

William Sommerwerck

I just ordered the new Plextor after reading a favorable review. (I overlooked
the fact the tests were not double-blind.) The Plextor successfully burned at 8x
on 4x DVD+R media.

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/hardwar...15282p,00.htm?

Glenn Dowdy

"Blind Joni" wrote in message
I saw an 8X burner at Office Max yesterday..company called

MagicSpin..chinese.
Anyone used a fast burner yet? Any info?

Sure, but that's our job here. . Buy HP!

Glenn D.

reddred

"Blind Joni" wrote in message
I saw an 8X burner at Office Max yesterday..company called

MagicSpin..chinese.
Anyone used a fast burner yet? Any info?

None of these are 'true' 8x, they use 4x discs. NEC manufactures all the
firmware for the 'semi-8x' drives, and I think you were most likely looking
at a badged NEC OEM drive. The 4x drives are made by either NEC or Pioneer,
with custom bezels and in some cases customized firmware. The 8x drives seem
to be following the same pattern.

I've seen the Plextor '8x' in action and it looks to be a winner, very
reliable and fast , although that's based only on my limited observation. It
doesn't ship with the real Plextools, but is fully compatable if you already
have the software.

The true 8x drives should be out in spring.

jb

Kurt Albershardt

reddred wrote:

I've seen the Plextor '8x' in action and it looks to be a winner, very
reliable and fast , although that's based only on my limited observation.

Mine as well--bought the 708UF a couple weeks back and am liking it very
much so far.

It doesn't ship with the real Plextools, but is fully compatable if you
already have the software.

Meaning it can do C1 and C2 error counts on CDR burns?

Michael Kornum

I have the Liteon 811S burner, it's pretty much kickass, it burns 8x on
most quality media, it even burns 8x RW on my verbatim DVD-RW+'s.

And offcourse they are true 8x dvd burners - true 8x media is just not out
yet - so u have to use 4x media - I'll bet they come soon though.

Mike

Rob

I just got the Plextor and its great. I burn a full length movie (full DVD)
in 8 minutes after its read.

However, be sure to read your manual. There is a "silent read" feature so
when you put in an encoded movie, the drive defaults to a slower read (only
what's necessary for playing the movie) so the drive is quieter because it
spins slower.

If you are burning data this does not apply. But if you are reading a movie,
be sure to press and hold the open button until the light flashes 3 times
for fast read of encoded movies.

It burns DVD+R at 8X, others at 4X. I've now used Maxell and Fuji 4X discs
and they burn fine at 8X.

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
I just ordered the new Plextor after reading a favorable review. (I

overlooked
the fact the tests were not double-blind.) The Plextor successfully burned

at 8x
on 4x DVD+R media.

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/hardwar...15282p,00.htm?

normanstrong

If someone hands you a DVD with a 2 hour movie on it and says, "Make a
copy of this movie as quickly as possible" what will be the minimum
elapsed time to the final copy? Assume DVD+R.

Thanks,

Norm Strong

reddred

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message
reddred wrote:

I've seen the Plextor '8x' in action and it looks to be a winner, very
reliable and fast , although that's based only on my limited

observation.

Mine as well--bought the 708UF a couple weeks back and am liking it very
much so far.

That seems to be the case in general. The UF looks like an interesting
option for a loaded DAW, I'm somewhat concerned that the 708A wouldn't like
to coexist on the same bus with my Plexwriter 'Premium'.

What color did you getg?

It doesn't ship with the real Plextools, but is fully compatable if you
already have the software.

Meaning it can do C1 and C2 error counts on CDR burns?

I'm really glad you aked, because it looks like I was spreading bad
information there. Unfortuneately 'Q-check', with the error checking, is
specific to the premium, whereas other plextools features should work fine
on the 708
(http://www.plextor.com/english/suppo...o/ht00006.html). I might
call them to get more specific information and ask if they plan on adding
full Plextools support to the 708 in the future. Although, if one is in the
market for a cd burner, IMO the Premium is about as good as they are going
to get.

jb

Kurt Albershardt

reddred wrote:

Mine as well--bought the 708UF a couple weeks back and am liking it very
much so far.

What color did you getg?

Silver. Was there a choice?

It doesn't ship with the real Plextools, but is fully compatable if you
already have the software.

Meaning it can do C1 and C2 error counts on CDR burns?

I'm really glad you aked, because it looks like I was spreading bad
information there. Unfortuneately 'Q-check', with the error checking, is
specific to the premium, whereas other plextools features should work fine
on the 708
(http://www.plextor.com/english/suppo...o/ht00006.html). I might
call them to get more specific information and ask if they plan on adding
full Plextools support to the 708 in the future.

Might (or might not) be possible with a firmware reflash.

if one is in the
market for a cd burner, IMO the Premium is about as good as they are going
to get.

Agreed, and the price recently dropped on them.

I was hoping to build a portable system (Shuttle-ish) with both
capabilities in a single drive.

Jay Levitt

In article ,
says...
(
http://www.plextor.com/english/suppo...o/ht00006.html). I might
call them to get more specific information and ask if they plan on adding
full Plextools support to the 708 in the future. Although, if one is in the
market for a cd burner, IMO the Premium is about as good as they are going
to get.

If you do, please report back here - I find it odd that the DVD drive,
which should theoretically be a Higher End Drive than the CD-only
Premium, doesn't support that error checking... Maybe there will be a
Plextor Super-Premium soon?

Jay

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | Hi!
William Sommerwerck

What color did you getg?

Silver. Was there a choice?

I ordered a 708A, which appears to be beige. There's also a black version.
reddred

reddred wrote:

Mine as well--bought the 708UF a couple weeks back and am liking it

very
much so far.

What color did you getg?

Silver. Was there a choice?

Pink, baby blue... tangerine... actually, I don't know if the colors are out
here yet.

It doesn't ship with the real Plextools, but is fully compatable if

you
already have the software.

Meaning it can do C1 and C2 error counts on CDR burns?

I'm really glad you aked, because it looks like I was spreading bad
information there. Unfortuneately 'Q-check', with the error checking, is
specific to the premium, whereas other plextools features should work

fine
on the 708
(http://www.plextor.com/english/suppo...o/ht00006.html). I

might
call them to get more specific information and ask if they plan on

adding
full Plextools support to the 708 in the future.

Might (or might not) be possible with a firmware reflash.

I'm assuming it's a firmware feature, maybe I can get them to tell me.
Whether or not they will offer the upgrade or not is another issue.... It
could be as simple as a bit telling the software it's OK to perform the
tests, come to think of it.

if one is in the
market for a cd burner, IMO the Premium is about as good as they are

going
to get.

Agreed, and the price recently dropped on them.

I payed about a hundred for mine then they dropped to ninety or so.... oh
well, there goes a pizza.

I was hoping to build a portable system (Shuttle-ish) with both
capabilities in a single drive.

Yeah, I was kind of excited about it as well. I think it is certainly
helping them sell the premiums, it was a selling point for me. Otherwise, I
might just have got the dvd burner.

As for your Shuttle box (biostar and gigabyte have almost the exact same
products out btw), I'd probably just put the premium in there and carry the
708UF with you. Not nearly as cool, though, granted.

jb

Glenn Dowdy

"Michael Kornum" wrote in message
I have the Liteon 811S burner, it's pretty much kickass, it burns 8x on
most quality media, it even burns 8x RW on my verbatim DVD-RW+'s.

And offcourse they are true 8x dvd burners - true 8x media is just not out
yet - so u have to use 4x media - I'll bet they come soon though.

That turns out not to be the case. HP is shipping 8x+RW media with their
DVD400i 8x dvd burners. Now, 8x- media is still vaporware.

Glenn D.

Glenn Dowdy

"reddred" wrote in message

"Blind Joni" wrote in message
I saw an 8X burner at Office Max yesterday..company called

MagicSpin..chinese.
Anyone used a fast burner yet? Any info?

None of these are 'true' 8x, they use 4x discs. NEC manufactures all the
firmware for the 'semi-8x' drives, and I think you were most likely

looking
at a badged NEC OEM drive.

The HP 8x drive is true 8x, uses true 8x media and isn't manufactured by
NEC.

The 4x drives are made by either NEC or Pioneer,
with custom bezels and in some cases customized firmware. The 8x drives

seem
to be following the same pattern.

There quite a few manufacturers of DVD drives; you've only named two.

The true 8x drives should be out in spring.

They're in stores now:

http://tinyurl.com/yizv

Glenn D.

Keith

I bought the MagicSpin but haven't opened the package yet since I
heard that Sony or Pioneer are much better and reliable at 4X and the
8X is unproven. I'd like to know if MagicSpin is a reliable or
unrelable off-label brand. Anyone ever hear of it??

"reddred" wrote in message ...
"Blind Joni" wrote in message
I saw an 8X burner at Office Max yesterday..company called

MagicSpin..chinese.
Anyone used a fast burner yet? Any info?

None of these are 'true' 8x, they use 4x discs. NEC manufactures all the
firmware for the 'semi-8x' drives, and I think you were most likely looking
at a badged NEC OEM drive. The 4x drives are made by either NEC or Pioneer,
with custom bezels and in some cases customized firmware. The 8x drives seem
to be following the same pattern.

I've seen the Plextor '8x' in action and it looks to be a winner, very
reliable and fast , although that's based only on my limited observation. It
doesn't ship with the real Plextools, but is fully compatable if you already
have the software.

The true 8x drives should be out in spring.

jb

Glenn Dowdy

"Keith" wrote in message
m...
I bought the MagicSpin but haven't opened the package yet since I
heard that Sony or Pioneer are much better and reliable at 4X and the
8X is unproven. I'd like to know if MagicSpin is a reliable or
unrelable off-label brand. Anyone ever hear of it??

I've never heard of it, and I'm in the business. You pay your money and you
take your chances.

Glenn D.

Jim Gilliland

Glenn Dowdy wrote:
"Keith" wrote in message
m...

I bought the MagicSpin but haven't opened the package yet since I
heard that Sony or Pioneer are much better and reliable at 4X and the
8X is unproven. I'd like to know if MagicSpin is a reliable or
unrelable off-label brand. Anyone ever hear of it??

I've never heard of it, and I'm in the business. You pay your money and you
take your chances.

I've never heard of it either, but if you open the box, you'll probably
find that the drive inside is actually a Pioneer or Sony (or Ricoh or
Liteon or .....). Most of these drives are made by just a handful of OEMs.

James Perrett

reddred wrote:

I'm really glad you aked, because it looks like I was spreading bad
information there. Unfortuneately 'Q-check', with the error checking, is
specific to the premium, whereas other plextools features should work fine
on the 708
(http://www.plextor.com/english/suppo...o/ht00006.html). I might
call them to get more specific information and ask if they plan on adding
full Plextools support to the 708 in the future. Although, if one is in the
market for a cd burner, IMO the Premium is about as good as they are going
to get.

The Premium is the only affordable drive available from any manufacturer
that officially supports C1 error checking. Most Plextor drives can
check C2 errors using Plextool's CD Test function. You can also use the
speed tests with other drives.

Unfortunately DVD drives tend to hide these internal functions but
Plextools will read C2 errors from the 708. C2 error checking is
sufficient for most purposes as C2 errors (and below) are fully
correctable. Until I bought the Premium I used to check for C2 errors
and reject any disc that showed a C2 error. This always seemed to keep
the pressing plants happy.

Plextor always seem to be extending the capabilities of Plextools so it
is always worth checking their web site every few weeks.

Cheers.

James.
Glenn Dowdy

"Jim Gilliland" wrote in message
t...

I've never heard of it either, but if you open the box, you'll probably
find that the drive inside is actually a Pioneer or Sony (or Ricoh or
Liteon or .....). Most of these drives are made by just a handful of

OEMs.

Yup. It's a very compact industry.

Glenn D.

William Sommerwerck

I bought the MagicSpin but haven't opened the package yet since
I heard that Sony or Pioneer are much better and reliable at 4X
and the 8X is unproven. I'd like to know if MagicSpin is a reliable
or unrelable off-label brand. Anyone ever hear of it?

I'd held off buying a CD/DVD burner, partly because I didn't badly need one, and
partly because I was waiting for one that would "do everything." When I saw the
highly favorable review of the Plextor PX-708A in CNETAsia, I ordered it, not
only because it was what I was waiting for, but because Plextor has an awfully
good reputation among optical-drive manufacturers.

It isn't true that a higher price will automatically get you better quality, but
it just doesn't make sense to buy something from an unknown manufacturer, then
wonder whether it's any good.

PS: I bought a friend a Philips DVD/VCR on sale for $100. It failed after a few
hours of operation. So much for the Philips name on a product...

Glenn Dowdy

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

HP is shipping 8x+RW media with their
DVD400i 8x dvd burners. Now, 8x- media is still vaporware.

According to the pundits here (for whatever that's worth) +RW will
become the dominant format, which means that -RW will eventually go
away. If the disk manufacturers get wind of this, they might help it
to go away sooner.

The hardware and media manufacturers are well aware of this. If the only
choices were +RW or -RW, then we would already have just +RW. However, with
the risk-reduced perception of dual format, the -RW format is still in
existence. In the market share for single format drives in the US
aftermarket space, the -RW format is dead in the water. In the line-fit
(computer manufacturers), +RW has a much greater market share than dual
format or -RW due to HP's and Dell's commitment to the +RW format.

They don't like making two different formats

The hardware people don't like paying royalties for both formats, which
increases their cost. The media folks really don't care, as they make and
sell both formats.

any
more than the dealers like stocking two different formats (and taking
returns from people who bought the wrong one)

Dual format removes that risk.

or than I do in trying
to remember what the difference is other than that they aren't the
same.

The main advantage of the +R/+RW format over -R/-RW is the ability to add
data to the discs in multiple sessions. For RW, the dash format has to be
completely erased before you write to it again.

Glenn D.

Kurt Albershardt

Default portable DAW (was: 8X DVD Burner?)

reddred wrote:

I was hoping to build a portable system (Shuttle-ish) with both
capabilities in a single drive.

As for your Shuttle box (biostar and gigabyte have almost the exact same
products out btw)

Hence my use of Shuttle-ish, but really waiting for a new generation of
Mini-ITX boards which might offer me the choice of a Centrino. More
than enough horsepower for what I want to do and a whole lot quieter
than a fullblown P4. Should also run from a 12V or 24V DC input if all
goes well.

I'd probably just put the premium in there and carry the
708UF with you. Not nearly as cool, though, granted.

I'd put the 708A inside since backup of the whole session and/or client
handoff is the primary use. Burning a check CD is still do-able, just
not with the full QC option.

Michael Kornum

Arggh! please everybody!!! All the 8x burners are TRUE 8X !!!!

You can use 8x media in all of them!!! SOME of them will also burn 8x on 4x
dvd's if the quality is good enough (if the mediacode is in their firmware).

Mike

None of these are 'true' 8x, they use 4x discs. NEC manufactures all the
firmware for the 'semi-8x' drives, and I think you were most likely

looking
at a badged NEC OEM drive.

The HP 8x drive is true 8x, uses true 8x media and isn't manufactured by
NEC.

Glenn Dowdy

"Michael Kornum" wrote in message
Arggh! please everybody!!! All the 8x burners are TRUE 8X !!!!

You can use 8x media in all of them!!! SOME of them will also burn 8x on

4x
dvd's if the quality is good enough (if the mediacode is in their

firmware).

But there is no 8x-R media and not for some time. There will also be issues
with backward compatibility.

Glenn D.

Arny Krueger

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

I'll probably wait to get a DVD write until write-once blanks get as
cheap (at least per megabyte) as CD blanks.

We're getting pretty close - brand name DVD blanks are as low as $1 each at
the big office supply chains. That's roughly comparable to a $0.21 CD blank.

Andrew M.

I'll probably wait to get a DVD write until write-once blanks get as
cheap (at least per megabyte) as CD blanks.

We're getting pretty close - brand name DVD blanks are as low as $1 each at
the big office supply chains. That's roughly comparable to a $0.21 CD blank.

I think DVD-R's and RW's ARE cheaper than CD-R's per MB. I pay about $2
for a DVD-R.

W. Williams

"Mike Rivers" wrote:

I'll probably wait to get a DVD write until write-once blanks get as
cheap (at least per megabyte) as CD blanks.

DVD-R discs are already cheaper in general when compared in a "same-brand
same-range" manner.

Examples:
1) MAM-e (Mitsui) Silver range, white thermal printable top, bulk spindle,
per 100:
CD-R(52X) +/-$70; DVD-R(4X) +/- $250.
DVD-R is less than 4X more per disc!

2) Generic unbranded discs, bulk shrink, per 100:
CD-R +/-$25(48X); DVD-R +/-$60(4X)
DVD-R is less than 2.5X more per disc!

Considering that the capacity of a DVD-R is more than 6X that of an 80
minute CD-R, now is probably a good time. DVD burner prices are at an all
time low and almost all new drives are combo drives, so the +/- war is no
longer an issue either.

reddred

reddred wrote:

I was hoping to build a portable system (Shuttle-ish) with both
capabilities in a single drive.

As for your Shuttle box (biostar and gigabyte have almost the exact same
products out btw)

Hence my use of Shuttle-ish, but really waiting for a new generation of
Mini-ITX boards which might offer me the choice of a Centrino. More
than enough horsepower for what I want to do and a whole lot quieter
than a fullblown P4. Should also run from a 12V or 24V DC input if all
goes well.

Is this for tracking?

I'd probably just put the premium in there and carry the
708UF with you. Not nearly as cool, though, granted.

I'd put the 708A inside since backup of the whole session and/or client
handoff is the primary use. Burning a check CD is still do-able, just
not with the full QC option.

I'd agree that a tracking box needs the dvd more than the qcheck.

jb

Arny Krueger

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message

Hence my use of Shuttle-ish, but really waiting for a new generation
of Mini-ITX boards which might offer me the choice of a Centrino.
More than enough horsepower for what I want to do and a whole lot
quieter than a fullblown P4. Should also run from a 12V or 24V DC
input if all goes well.

This web pages seem to have many of the details:

http://www.commell-sys.com/Product/SBC/LV-671.htm

The most notable updates in the I/O department are the built-in cardbus
slots.

Peter Larsen

Mike Rivers wrote:

That's getting there. About half the time I need CD blanks, I buy 100
for $19.95 and get a $20 rebate.

OK, you get a nickel and 100 CD-R blanks just for asking. Some people
here might like to know the address of that shop.

I'm really Mike Rivers - )

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

William Sommerwerck

OK, you get a nickel and 100 CD-R blanks just for asking.
Some people here might like to know the address of that shop.

I just got 100 Maxell 80-minute 48x CD-R blanks at Office Despot for $20. That's
not free, but it's a major brand.

The sale is still on.

Marc Wielage

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:27:47 -0800, William Sommerwerck wrote
(in message ):

I just got 100 Maxell 80-minute 48x CD-R blanks at Office Despot for $20.
That's not free, but it's a major brand.
--------------------------------snip----------------------------------

Bill, you might want to use Nero (or another suitable program) to verify who
actually made those discs. I've caught TDK selling discs made by other
companies before, and I'm a little suspicious of Maxell as well.

--MFW

J. Joyce

The NEC 8x family, all of which are identical and can exchange
firmaware, are very high quaility writers, though not the best readers
in the "heavily scratched" dept. Unless you are running a pretty fast
sytem, you won't want to go higher than 8x for critical audio, and I
myself archive at 6x with TY media or MCC. Good results with Ridata
at 4x for inexpensive media.
The latest is the NEC 2510, which also has remarkable CD burning
capabilites, CV @ 16 x with ultra low errors.
They are also quiet.
~$70 @ NewEgg

jj

On 08 Dec 2003 22:06:41 GMT, (Blind Joni) wrote:

I saw an 8X burner at Office Max yesterday..company called MagicSpin..chinese.
Anyone used a fast burner yet? Any info?

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

SAMSUNG® 52x24x52x INTERNAL CD BURNER ONLY $49.95 sunny26 General 0 March 16th 04 03:32 AM
DVD BURNER CAR MP3 PLAYER Darmin Car Audio 3 February 12th 04 05:37 AM
CD Burner Geoley Pro Audio 5 November 19th 03 03:41 AM
FS or Trade Glyph/Sony AIT Backup System and Glyph Firewire CD Burner Joshua David Pro Audio 0 October 12th 03 07:46 PM
WTB SCSI CD burner in Bay Area Myles Boisen Pro Audio 0 September 15th 03 10:46 PM