ZZZZ

Default Computer Noise

I am a newbie to the recording scene but have always wanted to have a
small home recording studio ever since I used to sing professionally in
the 60's. Being a geezer now and having the wherewithall to realize my
wishes, I am building a studio into a small bedroom that I have
available in my basement. I will be getting a Mac Dual 1.8 gig G5 to
handle ProTools LE. Because I am having to put the DAW in the same
soundproofed room (about 10x12 feet) as a studio condenser microphone,
I am wondering about the noise impact of this computer on the
microphone. I would rather isolate a noisy box then apply filters to
the recording for the noise as I will be generating a portfolio of
voiceovers for announcing work and want my voice to be as warm as it
sounds in realtime and not be colored by highcut or any filters. Does
anyone have a clue as to the noise level of this computer and, if I
would need a soundproof box what would be the considerations for this
as far as filling, ventilation, etc. and other things that I might not
have even thought of.

Thank You...Randy
TCS

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:15:37 -0700, ZZZZ wrote:
[...]

The best way to eliminate noise is to avoid it in the first place. Use an
external a/d instead of trying to filter out the noise once it's gotten
into the recording.

Laurence Payne

I am building a studio into a small bedroom that I have
available in my basement. I will be getting a Mac Dual 1.8 gig G5 to
handle ProTools LE. Because I am having to put the DAW in the same
soundproofed room (about 10x12 feet) as a studio condenser microphone,
I am wondering about the noise impact of this computer on the
microphone.

You've got two problems here. Maybe one solution :-)

You need to get the microphone away from the computer. You need the
microphone to be in a good-sounding room. DOES the room sound good?
I would rate this a prime consideration, almost on a level with the
quality of the talent being recorded. Microphone and other equipment
choice run a very poor third (as long as a basic quality level is
achieved).

Maybe a long mic lead, reaching to the best-sounding room in your
house would be a good investment. If your studio room sounds bad you
can get involved in a lot of expensive turd-polishing and still not
really solve the problem.

People who "graduate" from a bedroom cupboard "studio" to exclusive
use of a small room often wish they hadn't :-)

Laurence Payne

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 14:28:27 -0500, TCS
wrote:

The best way to eliminate noise is to avoid it in the first place. Use an
external a/d instead of trying to filter out the noise once it's gotten
into the recording.

I think he was talking about acoustic pickup of computer noise.

On-board a/d converters aren't noticeably noisy these days.

Richard Crowley

ZZZZ wrote:
...I will be getting a Mac Dual 1.8 gig G5 to
handle ProTools LE. Because I am having to put the DAW in the same
soundproofed room (about 10x12 feet) as a studio condenser microphone,
I am wondering about the noise impact of this computer on the
microphone. I would rather isolate a noisy box then apply filters to
the recording for the noise as I will be generating a portfolio of
voiceovers for announcing work and want my voice to be as warm as it
sounds in realtime and not be colored by highcut or any filters. Does
anyone have a clue as to the noise level of this computer and, if I
would need a soundproof box what would be the considerations for this
as far as filling, ventilation, etc. and other things that I might not
have even thought of.

"TCS" wrote...
The best way to eliminate noise is to avoid it in the first place. Use an
external a/d instead of trying to filter out the noise once it's gotten
into the recording.

TCS is refering to *electrical* noise which is annother consideration.
ZZZZ didn't mention what he was intending to use for A/D conversion.

I thought ZZZZ was talking about *acoustic* noise. As a PC user,
I don't know much about the fruity products. You could ask in a
Mac-specific forum somewhere. If it were a PC, there are a growing
number of 3rd-party quieting produducts from ultra-quiet power supplies
and fans to heat-pipe CPU coolers. Dunno where any of these are
available for Mac? Some have taken to building soundproofing
boxes to put the computers in, but keeping them cool is always a
concert.

TCS

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:48:57 -0700, Richard Crowley wrote:
ZZZZ wrote:
[...]

For accoustic noise, put the computer in another room or use a laptop or
computer designed from the start to be quiet. The quietest PC's I've found are
the shuttles -- no cpu fan; heat carried to a radiator w/ a temperature
controlled fan.

Arny Krueger

"TCS" wrote in message

The best way to eliminate noise is to avoid it in the first place.

So far, so good.

Use an external a/d instead of trying to filter out the noise once
it's gotten into the recording.

You've missed the OP's point. He is clearly worried about acoustical noise.

You've also missed an important rule. Putting converters inside a computer
need not add any noise. Some of the quietest audio interfaces around are
internal to the PC.

Arny Krueger

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message

ZZZZ wrote:
[...]

It's hardly a consideration given that some of the quietest interfaces
around are internal.

ZZZZ didn't mention what he was intending to use for A/D conversion.

Hardly matters. The source of noise in any well-engineered interface is the
parts, not where they are.

I thought ZZZZ was talking about *acoustic* noise.

Agreed.

Pat Farrell

wrote:

I will be getting a Mac Dual 1.8 gig G5 to
handle ProTools LE. Because I am having to put the DAW in the same
soundproofed room (about 10x12 feet) as a studio condenser microphone,

You are correct in worrying.
Don't do that!

You have two basic options:
1) make the computer quieter
2) move the computer out of the studio.

There are lots of things that can allow you
remote control, start with keyboard/mouse/video
extension cables (look for KVM parts).
You might even be able to toggle the "record" and "stop"
functions with a wireless mouse, which would let
you do it wirelessly.

Pat http://www.pfarrell.com/prc/

Richard Tomkins

Get the newest PowerMac, the one with liquid cooling.

I remember being in a room that was equipped with some kind of interesting
acoustical foam on all the walls. I almost lost my balance, the silence was
deafening. There was a large computer system in the room, made by my firm,
with 12 high speed muffin fans running in it. I couldn't hear the thing
until I put my head down next to the unit.

I don't think they needed to do that, cover the entire room. Probably a
three sided box with this type of foam in it surrounding the computer would
have been just as efficient.

s.com...
wrote:

I will be getting a Mac Dual 1.8 gig G5 to
handle ProTools LE. Because I am having to put the DAW in the same
soundproofed room (about 10x12 feet) as a studio condenser microphone,

You are correct in worrying.
Don't do that!

You have two basic options:
1) make the computer quieter
2) move the computer out of the studio.

There are lots of things that can allow you
remote control, start with keyboard/mouse/video
extension cables (look for KVM parts).
You might even be able to toggle the "record" and "stop"
functions with a wireless mouse, which would let
you do it wirelessly.

Pat http://www.pfarrell.com/prc/

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
ZZZZ wrote:

[...]

The G5 computers that I've been close to are dead silent as long as the
system isn't heavily loaded and the room isn't too hot.

I don't think you'd need a box. Then vents are in the front and back so
two foam covered panels should do. Just don't block the airflow or the
fans will crank up.

humming noise sound problem. CJT Tech 0 September 7th 03 03:21 AM
Isn't noise cumulative? a technical question Garthrr Pro Audio 10 August 17th 03 06:08 PM
hearing loss info Andy Weaks Car Audio 17 August 10th 03 08:32 AM
Noise - alternator, shrieking, etc with Delphi XM satellite system news.adelphia.net Car Audio 0 July 8th 03 07:07 AM