Rick Powell

Default Fixing acoustic foam to ceiling

"Juergen" wrote in message ...
Hi,

what's the best way to fix acoustic foam to the ceiling? I have a concrete
ceiling, so glueing directly onto the render is no good. And I don't want it
to "hang through" in the middle. How did you do that?

Thanks
Juergen

If your concrete ceiling is a relatively smooth surface, I don't see
why "Liquid Nails" or similar tube adhesive would not work. I used
this stuff to attach acoustic foam and acoustic ceiling tile to a
drywall ceiling. You might want to work in smaller pieces of acoustic
foam (say 1' by 1' or 2' by 2') rather than the usual 2' by 4' to make
the project go easier. The stuff cuts very easily and straight with
an electric 2-blade carving knife.

RP
Bob Ross

Juergen wrote:

what's the best way to fix acoustic foam to the ceiling? I have a concrete
ceiling, so glueing directly onto the render is no good. And I don't want it
to "hang through" in the middle. How did you do that?

Try gluing the foam to thin sheets of masonite or heavy duty corrugated
cardboard, then attch that to the concrete with the fastener of choice. 3M
DualLock works nicely if you don't want to penetrate the concrete.

/Bob Ross

Sugarite

what's the best way to fix acoustic foam to the ceiling? I have a concrete
ceiling, so glueing directly onto the render is no good. And I don't want

it
to "hang through" in the middle. How did you do that?

If you've got the head room, you might consider setting up a net of fishing
line tied to eye-loop screws in the walls just below ceiling level, and hold
the foam up that way. There are some acoustic advantages to the foam being
set off the surface too.

Why not use fiberglass wrapped in acoustically transparant fabric.

Can all be found/made firerated, plus fg is much more efficient than
the (often smelly) foam. And you're not stuck with two colors. Fishnet
is firehazard.

If in the fiberglass is a panel type, glue it is place, or attach to
2"x2" strips that are srewed into the ceiling (extra airspace
increases the effected bandwidth downward (1/4 wavelength thing) .

rt60