Posted to rec.audio.pro
jamesnathanjones

Default what do clubs expect you to have for a show?

I was wondering what I need to get my sound to most club PA's. Do most
places expect multiple lines from a mixer or will they just run a
stereo mix that I send out. I think it would be easiest if I just ran
a stereo mix out but I get the feeling clubs want each individual
instrument so they can adjust the mix for the house PA. Anyway, as you
can tell I've never played a live gig before and I want to know what I
need to do so. Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
St. John Smythe

jamesnathanjones wrote:
I was wondering what I need to get my sound to most club PA's. Do most
places expect multiple lines from a mixer or will they just run a
stereo mix that I send out. I think it would be easiest if I just ran
a stereo mix out but I get the feeling clubs want each individual
instrument so they can adjust the mix for the house PA. Anyway, as you
can tell I've never played a live gig before and I want to know what I
need to do so. Thanks!

Need more info: how big a club, what sort of music?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne

On 24 May 2006 13:38:09 -0700, "jamesnathanjones"
wrote:

I was wondering what I need to get my sound to most club PA's. Do most
places expect multiple lines from a mixer or will they just run a
stereo mix that I send out. I think it would be easiest if I just ran
a stereo mix out but I get the feeling clubs want each individual
instrument so they can adjust the mix for the house PA. Anyway, as you
can tell I've never played a live gig before and I want to know what I
need to do so. Thanks!

Depends if they're doing the mixing or you are.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ken Winokur

As has been said, it depends on the club.

The choices typically a

1) The club has a PA system and somebody to run it
2) The club has a PA system and expects the band or their own engineer
to run it
3) The club has nothing, and the musician must bring the whole system.

I don't know of any clubs with a sound system who expect the band to
mix from the stage and then send a stereo mix to the house PA.

You need to check with the club you're expecting to play at and see
what they provide.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne

On 25 May 2006 10:33:21 -0700, "Ken Winokur"
wrote:

I don't know of any clubs with a sound system who expect the band to
mix from the stage and then send a stereo mix to the house PA.

When visiting theatres with a variety show (me on keyboards) I often
use my mics, my mixer, my stage foldback, but send a stereo feed to
the house PA system. The board is in reach of my left hand. I don't
have to do much - mostly muting unused mics and switching reverb. But
the house guy is going to miss most of those cues first time, however
good a cue sheet I give him. And there isn't a second time :-)

If the theatre has good acoustics, often the house PA barely needs
turning on at all.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mfreak

Any club/bar/venue I ever played in was one of two things:

1. The house had a PA, and a sound guy, who mic'ed up all
drums/instruments, and he ran the mix.
2. The house had NO PA, we brought our own, mic'ed up our own stuff,
and had our guy run the mixer.

I'd never run a pre-mixed stereo feed to a house PA, what sounds good
to you on stage isn't gonna sound the same out on the floor. I've
never encountered Ken's #1 scenario, if I was a club owner, i wouldnt
let some band play with all my ****!

IME, big bands that headline arenas bring their own sound and sound
guys. Smaller clubs that cater to local/indie bands usually have a
house PA which the house runs. Bars or whatever, places that have
bands once in a while but don't cater to the music scene, they usually
have no PA whatsoever, and it's all up to the band.