Default NYOBs fascinating find

That indefatiguable lost babe in the woods NYOB fished out another
pearl to share with the world of audio and told RAHE about it.
I felt it should have a wider audience
"Found this JAES report that I thought some mioght find interesting,
and some will not be happy about.
Better to be informed than to guess.
Find it he
http://www.hfm-detmold.de/eti/projek...sdvspcm/aes_pa...
"
It is an ABX comparison of SACD vs. DVD-A originally presented as a
Master's thesis at a German University.
You guessed it: they found no difference.
Next question: who are "some" who "will not be happy about"
this.
Would it be their examiners objecting to the use of the never validated
by basic research, never positive, ABX protocol as a proven. decisive
litmus paper test ? Could "some" of them say that acceptance of an
unvalidated protocol as a given without discussion puts their results
in question.
Or would it be Prof, S.P. Lip****z of Waterloo Univ., the heavy
authority of audio research, who stood up for DVD-A (LPCM) and
declared once that acceptance of SACD (!-bit sigma delta) would be
"a tragedy".? *

This raises a fascinating problem: Prof. Lip****z *and* his coauthor
Vanderkooy *and* R. Stuart of Meridian hear the difference between SACD
and DVD-A but NYOB's sources do not. Are Lip****z, Vanderkooy and
Stuart misguided, closet subjectivists or ignoramuses who await RAO
scientists to tell them all about ABX? Or were the two Master degree
candidates led astray by the ABX protocol they used that makes it all
sound the same?
Only NYOB knows.
Ludovic Mirabel
*He said at JAES convention in Amsterdam , 2001:
"The audio industry is misguided if
it adopts 1-bit sigma-delta conversion as the basis for any
high-quality processing, archiving, or distribution format
to replace multi-bit, linear PCM."

Robert Morein

Default Calling Mikey the village idiot

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thank you, Ludovic.
We can rely on Mikey to rise to the heights of idiocy in his reply.

wrote in message
oups.com...
That indefatiguable lost babe in the woods NYOB fished out another
pearl to share with the world of audio and told RAHE about it.
I felt it should have a wider audience
"Found this JAES report that I thought some mioght find interesting,
and some will not be happy about.
Better to be informed than to guess.
Find it he
http://www.hfm-detmold.de/eti/projek...sdvspcm/aes_pa...
"
It is an ABX comparison of SACD vs. DVD-A originally presented as a
Master's thesis at a German University.
You guessed it: they found no difference.
Next question: who are "some" who "will not be happy about"
this.

The people who swear there are auidble differences because of the different
formats and higher bit rates.

Would it be their examiners objecting to the use of the never validated
by basic research, never positive, ABX protocol as a proven.

No, since that is a fantasy of yours.

decisive
litmus paper test ? Could "some" of them say that acceptance of an
unvalidated protocol as a given without discussion puts their results
in question.

See above comments regarding your rich fantasy life.

Or would it be Prof, S.P. Lip****z of Waterloo Univ., the heavy
authority of audio research, who stood up for DVD-A (LPCM) and
declared once that acceptance of SACD (!-bit sigma delta) would be
"a tragedy".? *

This raises a fascinating problem: Prof. Lip****z *and* his coauthor
Vanderkooy *and* R. Stuart of Meridian hear the difference between SACD
and DVD-A but NYOB's sources do not.

They are not my sources, you stupid git, they are the people ivolved in this
fairly sizeable group of listgeners.

Are Lip****z, Vanderkooy and
Stuart misguided, closet subjectivists or ignoramuses who await RAO
scientists to tell them all about ABX?

What protocl do they use Ludo? I guarantee it's not sighted comparisons.

Or were the two Master degree
candidates led astray by the ABX protocol they used that makes it all
sound the same?

There is no such protocol.

wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It is hard to believe that someone , anyone, even NYOB wouldn't get the
point. A repeat for such as he: his quoted source the German master's
degree candidates using ABX heard no difference between DVD-A and SACD.
A much greater authority Prof.Lip****z and others in his camp claim
that the difference is enormous. NYOB knows for sure that they too use
ABX. So who is right? And how can his ABX article of faith and sure
cure for uncertainty delude one of the two ABXing camps? Which camp is
he in? What is the point he wants to make quoting this? Does he know?
As happens in real life (not in the NYOB chapel), they all listen and
hear differently. Some trained experts hear differences even when
ABXing- I doubt if you ever will. Just don't tell people that you got
the right answer and they are all deluded. I can just imagine what you
listen to and through what equipment- you ain't no authority on how to
listen to music (nor on the kind of music to listen to nor I'll bet on
what to read, what paintings to look at, what countries to visit and
even what wine to drink).Also you're no authority on whom to pick up an
argument with.
Regards Ludovic Mirabel
BTW calling a reference a source is conventional anywhere past grade 6.

RAO WHITEPAPER TEAM

Default A man's got to know his limitations

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

This is why it's obvious that Mikey has a weak mind. Mikey simply isn't
aware of many things, such as the quality of his mind, the quality of his
perceptions, or more generally, his own limitations. You have presented a
conundrum that is too complex for Mikey to comprehend. Like other small
brained creatures, his worldview is circumcised. Would you ask a frog for
an opinion about audio? Of course not, yet the frog functions quite well as
a frog, eating bugs, copulating, and even making frog "music."

Like other lower creatures, Mikey has a limited repertoire of vocalizations,
and a tendency for imitative behavior. We can expect a reply of the form
"Thank you for admitting...", when no such admission has been made, or "No,
since that is a fantasy of yours", or "See above comments regarding your
rich fantasy life", etc. Mikey copies Arny Krueger's walk and talk. I am
sure it is an embarassment to Arny, since, whatever else he may be, he is an
independently thinking person.

Mikey, it is time for you to realize that you are a limited person. You are
a mouthpiece, not a mind. If Arny Krueger used sockpuppets, they would have
much more depth than you, a real person.

paul packer

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:04:27 -0400, "RAO WHITEPAPER TEAM"
wrote:

You have presented a
conundrum that is too complex for Mikey to comprehend. Like other small
brained creatures, his worldview is circumcised.

That must be painful, Robert. I thought his world view was merely
circumscribed. :-)
Robert Morein

wrote:

You have presented a
conundrum that is too complex for Mikey to comprehend. Like other small
brained creatures, his worldview is circumcised.

That must be painful, Robert. I thought his world view was merely
circumscribed. :-)

Paul, the term is appropriate for dickbrains.

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
That indefatiguable lost babe in the woods NYOB fished
out another pearl to share with the world of audio and
told RAHE about it.
I felt it should have a wider audience
"Found this JAES report that I thought some mioght find
interesting, and some will not be happy about.
Better to be informed than to guess.
Find it he

http://www.hfm-detmold.de/eti/projek...sdvspcm/aes_pa...
"
It is an ABX comparison of SACD vs. DVD-A originally
presented as a Master's thesis at a German University.

You guessed it: they found no difference.

Who is surprised?

Next question: who are "some" who "will not be happy
about" this.

Radical subjectivists who are resistant to *any* evidence
that goes against their prejudices.

Would it be their examiners objecting to the use of the
never validated by basic research, never positive, ABX
protocol as a proven. decisive litmus paper test ?

BTW here we have an academic paper based on the often-dissed
ABX test.

Could "some" of them say that acceptance of an unvalidated
protocol as a given without discussion puts their
results in question.

Who besides a number of disgruntled Golden Ears diss the ABX
test for the purpose of determining whether small, subtle
differences exist?

Or would it be Prof, S.P. Lip****z of Waterloo Univ.,
the heavy authority of audio research, who stood up for
DVD-A (LPCM) and declared once that acceptance of SACD
(!-bit sigma delta) would be "a tragedy".? *

SACD was and is an economic tragedy for its commercial
supporters.

This raises a fascinating problem: Prof. Lip****z *and*
his coauthor Vanderkooy *and* R. Stuart of Meridian hear
the difference between SACD and DVD-A but NYOB's sources
do not.

No way! I asked Lip****z and Vanderkooy about this the last
time I had a face-to-face meeting with them. Their papers
are about technical differences, not real-world audible
differnces.

Are Lip****z, Vanderkooy and Stuart misguided,
closet subjectivists or ignoramuses who await RAO
scientists to tell them all about ABX?

Nahh, this is about Mirabel misrepresenting facts, which is
can be counted on to do.

Or were the two
Master degree candidates led astray by the ABX protocol
they used that makes it all sound the same?

Ironically, the paper being discussed here found some
listeners who heard differences a statistically significant
number of times.

Only NYOB knows.
Ludovic Mirabel
*He said at JAES convention in Amsterdam , 2001:
"The audio industry is misguided if
it adopts 1-bit sigma-delta conversion as the basis for
any high-quality processing, archiving, or distribution
format to replace multi-bit, linear PCM."

History has supported this conclusion. SACD is yet another
dead format. It's the 21st century Elcassette.

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com

It is hard to believe that someone , anyone, even NYOB
wouldn't get the point. A repeat for such as he: his
quoted source the German master's degree candidates using
ABX heard no difference between DVD-A and SACD.

Proving that Mirabel never read page 8 of the paper he
cites:

Perceptual Discrimination of Digital Coding Formats

http://www.hfm-detmold.de/eti/projek...paper_6086.pdf

A much
greater authority Prof.Lip****z and others in his camp
claim that the difference is enormous.

Yet another false claim based on what?

paul packer

wrote:

You have presented a
conundrum that is too complex for Mikey to comprehend. Like other small
brained creatures, his worldview is circumcised.

That must be painful, Robert. I thought his world view was merely
circumscribed. :-)

Paul, the term is appropriate for dickbrains.

Well, that's what Arnie's calling me at the moment. Should I be
offended or proud? :-)
Arny Krueger

TEAM" wrote:

You have presented a
conundrum that is too complex for Mikey to comprehend.
Like other small brained creatures, his worldview is
circumcised.

That must be painful, Robert. I thought his world view
was merely circumscribed. :-)

Paul, the term is appropriate for dickbrains.

Well, that's what Arnie's calling me at the moment.

Figment of your imagination, Paul.

Should I be offended or proud? :-)

Instead of being so defensive, first try begging, borrowing,
or stealing a clue about audio, Paul.

Your "know nothing" approach to the ATRAC issue is not
exactly complementary to you.

Robert Morein

TEAM" wrote:

You have presented a
conundrum that is too complex for Mikey to comprehend.
Like other small brained creatures, his worldview is
circumcised.

That must be painful, Robert. I thought his world view
was merely circumscribed. :-)

Paul, the term is appropriate for dickbrains.

Well, that's what Arnie's calling me at the moment.

Figment of your imagination, Paul.

Should I be offended or proud? :-)

Instead of being so defensive, first try begging, borrowing,
or stealing a clue about audio, Paul.

Your "know nothing" approach to the ATRAC issue is not
exactly complementary to you.

Nor is the suggestion that Paul should grovel complimentary to you.

Arny Krueger

TEAM" wrote:

You have presented a
conundrum that is too complex for Mikey to
comprehend. Like other small brained creatures, his
worldview is circumcised.

That must be painful, Robert. I thought his world view
was merely circumscribed. :-)

Paul, the term is appropriate for dickbrains.

Well, that's what Arnie's calling me at the moment.

Figment of your imagination, Paul.

Should I be offended or proud? :-)

Instead of being so defensive, first try begging,
borrowing, or stealing a clue about audio, Paul.

Your "know nothing" approach to the ATRAC issue is not
exactly complementary to you.

Nor is the suggestion that Paul should grovel
complimentary to you.

Huh?

I said that where?

Oh Robert I get it, I didn't ever say that, you just made it
up on your own!

Robert, just because you made that up, is no reason that it
is a proper reflecton on me.

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I get the point, you are full of ****, so you constantly lie and/or
misrepresent the facts.

A repeat for such as he: his quoted source the German master's
degree candidates using ABX heard no difference between DVD-A and SACD.
A much greater authority Prof.Lip****z and others in his camp claim
that the difference is enormous.

They claim audible differences? Or is it something else, be honest for a
change.

NYOB knows for sure that they too use
ABX. So who is right? And how can his ABX article of faith and sure
cure for uncertainty delude one of the two ABXing camps? Which camp is
he in?

The one that relies on facts, not whim.

What is the point he wants to make quoting this? Does he know?
As happens in real life (not in the NYOB chapel), they all listen and
hear differently.

They do? How is that? Where is the documentation?

Some trained experts hear differences even when
ABXing- I doubt if you ever will.

Maybe, maybe not, how many ABX tests have you participated in?

Just don't tell people that you got
the right answer and they are all deluded.

Stop with the delusions already. Quit pretendting the data is saying
something it's not and stop trying to convince people that Lip****z and
Vanderkooy are on your side.

I can just imagine what you
listen to and through what equipment- you ain't no authority on how to
listen to music

Blissfully? That's how I do it, knowing I have equipment that sounds
transparent and delivers the signal to a very good set of speakers. Not the
best possible speakers, but very good ones for sure.

(nor on the kind of music to listen to

I listen to a wide range of music, from the Beatles to Bach, to Glen Miller,
to MJQ, to Bella Fleck and probably other stuff you've never heard of. Not
that any of that matters since it's all about personal preference, right?

nor I'll bet on
what to read, what paintings to look at, what countries to visit and
even what wine to drink).Also you're no authority on whom to pick up an
argument with.

I try not to argue with people who are intent on distorting the fact and who
are not dishonorable pieces of **** like you, but every once in a while, I
just can't resist, poking at teh bee hive, as it were. Watching you
disemble is sometimes very funny, and sometimes very sad.

Regards Ludovic Mirabel
BTW calling a reference a source is conventional anywhere past grade 6.

Tryning to infer that Lip****z and Vanderkooy said that there is audible
superiority of SACD over CD is so much more sophisticated right?

Picking on the phrasing over the data is the kind of bull**** that people
like you love to do when you know you have no facts to back you up and you
know you've lost the argument.

Robert Morein

Default The Big Lie is alive and well and living in Minnesota

TEAM" wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry, Arny. I didn't follow proper form. The correct form of expression
is,
"Thanks for admitting that you want Paul to grovel."
See? You can put anything you want after the phrase "Thanks for
admitting..."

George M. Middius

Robert Morein said to the Big ****:

I'm sorry, Arny. I didn't follow proper form. The correct form of expression is,

"Thanks for admitting that you want Paul to grovel."
See? You can put anything you want after the phrase "Thanks for
admitting..."

For proper intensity of Kroofulness, you have to imagine you're being
clever when you say that. Please check your wetware for conformity to this
precept.

paul packer

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:12:20 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Paul, the term is appropriate for dickbrains.

Well, that's what Arnie's calling me at the moment.

Figment of your imagination, Paul.

Should I be offended or proud? :-)

Instead of being so defensive

Defensive? I thought I was being flippant.

first try begging, borrowing,
or stealing a clue about audio, Paul.

What you actually mean is electronics, Arnie. I've been in "audio"
since about 1965 and followed its progress keenly, whilst taking
virtually no interest in electronics . Of course if you go back to
1956 there probably wasn't much difference, but audio is now a wholly
consumer product with nary a soldering iron in sight. It's been that
way for some time.

Your "know nothing" approach to the ATRAC issue is not
exactly complementary to you.

If you check back on that thread, Arnie, you'll see that I was not
advancing theories of my own but repeating what I had read. If I "know
nothing" about the subject of ATRAC, it appears I have plenty of
company.

But then of course I forgot, your mission is to enlighten the world.

paul packer

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:05:20 -0400, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

Your "know nothing" approach to the ATRAC issue is not
exactly complementary to you.

Nor is the suggestion that Paul should grovel complimentary to you.

Should I be burrowing my forehead into the ground at this point?
Robert Morein

wrote:

Your "know nothing" approach to the ATRAC issue is not
exactly complementary to you.

Nor is the suggestion that Paul should grovel complimentary to you.

Should I be burrowing my forehead into the ground at this point?

On this newsgroup, CYA is recommended.

Robert Morein

wrote:

[...]

More like "punish the innocent".

Your "know nothing" approach to the ATRAC issue is not
exactly complementary to you.

One of the problems with a spellchecker is that it will accept any word
that's in its dictionary as being spelled correctly. Thus, desert and
dessert are both acceptable to the spellchecker, as are discrete and
discreet. Then there's complimentary and complementary, both good words,
but entirely different in meaning.

Norm Strong

Arny Krueger

wrote:

Paul, the term is appropriate for dickbrains.

Well, that's what Arnie's calling me at the moment.

Figment of your imagination, Paul.

Should I be offended or proud? :-)

Instead of being so defensive

Defensive? I thought I was being flippant.

That too.

first try begging, borrowing,
or stealing a clue about audio, Paul.

What you actually mean is electronics, Arnie. I've been
in "audio" since about 1965 and followed its progress
keenly, whilst taking virtually no interest in
electronics .

Half right. In fact Paul you have almost no interest in
audio as demonstrated by the vast amount of urban legend you
accept as being truth. If you were really interested in
audio you'd understand it better.

Of course if you go back to 1956 there
probably wasn't much difference, but audio is now a
wholly consumer product with nary a soldering iron in
sight. It's been that way for some time.

Paul, part of your problem is that you only have a passing
awareness of consumer audio, which is only a part of audio
pie.

Your "know nothing" approach to the ATRAC issue is not
exactly complimentary to you.

If you check back on that thread, Arnie, you'll see that
I was not advancing theories of my own but repeating what
I had read.

What was it that I was saying about you accepting urban
legend as if it was truth?

If I "know nothing" about the subject of
ATRAC, it appears I have plenty of company.

Ignorance is pretty rampant amount audiophiles, true.

But then of course I forgot, your mission is to enlighten
the world.

....such as it can be enlightened. Much of the world,
particularly the audiophool world, is highly resistant to
the light.

Imagine Paul jumping up and wagging his tail every time I
say audiophool

paul packer

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 12:53:06 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

But then of course I forgot, your mission is to enlighten
the world.

...such as it can be enlightened. Much of the world,
particularly the audiophool world, is highly resistant to
the light.

Thanks for admitting you're the source of the light, Arnie. I
suspected you had delusions of omniscience, but didn't really expect
you to admit it.

Well, that's game, set and match.
paul packer

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 00:19:11 -0400, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

Should I be burrowing my forehead into the ground at this point?

On this newsgroup, CYA is recommended.

Maybe if I just let it hang out, Arnie will take pity. :-)