"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

So tell me Luddite, where are the serious audio researchers not using
ABX
or
some other blind listening protocol?

You're a bore aren't you? I don't care what the researchers do unless
they are researching my interest in audio like sean Olive does WITHOUT
ABX. I don't know how many use or don't use Abx, prefer ABChr or do
something else.

Have you contacted Mr. Olive for his views on ABX? I assume they still
use
it at Harman, so obviously they have more confidence in it than you do.

Sean Olive, like competent scientists everywhere, endorses ABX tests for
audible difference. He does so explicitly, but it also follows from his
endorsement of *double blind tests* generally (of which ABX is merely one
species) both for subjective testing of audio difference and of
audio-based preference, not only of speakers, but of audio gear generally.

Naturally, I knew this, I was hoping one of the two idiots might cop to it.
I've heard Mr. Olive speak on the subject along with Floyd Toole at an AES
dinner.

Harman has an interesting set up for doing tests on speaker pairs. The have
several pair on a turntable device, one at each end of the stage. When they
want to compare one pair to another, they can have them on the turntables
and just turn them, and a new pair is set up in short order.

I didn't think they'd abandon use of DBT and ABX simply becuase of the event
that Ludo is so fond of posting.

What he doesn't seem to get is that the reason there are so few positives,
is because there is so little difference.

http://www.aes.org/sections/la/PastM...004-08-31.html

"Sean began by describing three types of listening tests:

* Difference
* Descriptive analysis
* Preference / affective

The difference test, obviously, is used for determining whether two audio
devices under test are audibly different from each other. A common method
is double-blind ABX testing.

The descriptive analysis test is for gathering impressions of comparative
audio quality from the listeners. If an ABX test reveals that device "A"
sounds audibly different from device "B," the descriptive analysis test
would determine in what way they sound different. The descriptive analysis
test has limited usefulness in audio, though.

And after the determinations of "whether different and how different,"
the preference or affective test asks the question, "Which one sounds
better?"

Each test has its own appropriate and inappropriate applications, as well
as its own strengths and potential pitfalls. In any test, biases have to
be controlled in order to obtain meaningful data. Most of his descriptions
of testing methods involved tests of loudspeakers, but the principles can
be put to use with other audio gear as well."

In Olive's now-classic 2003 paper in JAES, he used a randomized,
level-matched double-blind protocol to compare performance of trained to
untrained listeners in 3- and 4-way speaker comparison tests (e.g.,
comparison of 3 or 4 different speakers per session), using four different
types of musical selection. Presentation time was 10-30 sec for each
lousdpeaker with each program. Switching interval was 3 sec, which Olive
admits is not advisable for smaller differences, he and Floyd Toole found
it not to be a limiiting factor for speaker comparisons....demonstrably
less of one than controlling speaker *position*.

Obviously Mr. Olive endorses ABX tests for pairwise difference, but
obviously too, speakers, unlike audio components that aren't
electromechanical transducers, are reasonably likely from physical and
acoustical principles to *actually* sound different. This assumption is
borne out by his double-blind 'preference' results which show statistical
differences between the speakers tested -- something rather unlikely to
happen in a DBT if the speakers didn't really sound different in the first
place. Interestingly, two of the models that received a 'class A' rating
from an audio magazine scored significantly differently , with one rated
'speaker of the year' scored the lowest among speakers compared by both
trained and untrained listeners, in both three- and four-way comparisons,
involving a total of 268 listeners. This loudspeaker -- an electrostatic
hybrid -- rather satisfyingly also *measured* the worst in several key
criteria.

Obviously, too, ABX is unwieldy for comparing more than two sources and
one variable per session. A matrix of ABX tests *could* have been done
encompassing each pairwise combination of speakers in Olive's experiment,
for each program type, for each listener group, at a *vastly* increased
cost in time and effort with little likely increase in power. With the
DBT protocol he *did* use, Olive was more quickly able to statistically
assess effects of speaker difference, listener difference, and difference
in program material.

Dr. Mirabilis can, and likely will, harp on the fact that the Olive paper
did not use *ABX* in this particular set of experiments. But this is not
because Olive fundamentally disavows ABX tests. Quite the contrary. So,
does Dr. Mirabilis believe that ABX -- a randomized, double-blind,
level-matched protocol for comparing two sources, that often employs (but
does not require) short presentations and short switching intervals -- is
*so* different from the randomized, double-blind, level-matched, short
presentation DBT protocol Olive used to compare more than two speakers, as
to be worthy of special suspicion? Does he understand why ABX was not
used *for this experiment*?

Perhaps he should ask Sean Olive this question next time: if you were to
run a listening test on two high-end components, simply to determine if
they sound different, which test would you use?

--

-S

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...
From RAHE:

wrote in message
We see all manner of rhetorical and "what if" objections to
controlled
listening alone testing. What is the alternative?

We sum up by concluding that ABX is a paradigm that, while
theoretically
interesting, has not been implemented in a useful way in the real
world.

You sum up wrong as usual, it is the real world that acknowledges
ABX
as
relaible and valuable tool, which is why it is used by every serious
organization doing audio research. Only audiuophiles who don't like
the
truth reject it.

We
note that the believers in ABX seem to own substandard amplifiers,
and
possess low quality ears and brains.

How would you know, you've never done a level matched, blind test of
any
of
them.
Mikey, it's obvious.

Your judgement is not reliable. You thought I was Powell.
It's obvious that sighted listening is unreliable.
It's obvious you have no intention of ever putting your ears on the
line
show that you can hear the things you claim.

Mikey, other people have, as described by Ludovic.
He PROVES that the ABXers, including you, are liars.

He proves only that he doesn't understand or won't understand, that ABX
and DBT comnparisons are relied on by the real audio professionals who
are making a difference.

Its practically unheard of as to application by
consumers for making purchase decisions

So don't do them. It's never been the aim of anybody here that I know of to
persuade everyone to do an ABX or other DBT in order to make their buying
decisions. It only comes up when people make claims of differences that
have no reason to exist. When people claim to hear things that don't make
sense, it's reasonable to ask if they can still hear those things in a blind
comparison. Because such things rarely are heard in blind comparisons, and
because there is ample data on why people hear things under sighted
conditions, that they don't hear during blind comparisons, it's reasonable
to suspect that the differences being heard come from somewhere other than
the equipment.

If a person picks equipment from a dealer with a decent return policy, there
is no reason that person couldn't do a blind comparison of some sort ABX or
other.

Make your purchases based on whatever reason you choose, but saying there's
no use for ABX or that it is "bad science," or that it masks detail, or any
of the myriad reasons some people have used to try and paint it as something
other than what it is, reliable and the standard for detecting difference,
is somewhat more than disingenuous.

"ScottW" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
wrote in message

[snip]

I tend to agree with you that people tend to imagine differences, and

that
ABX diminshes that.

Yep.

But I also see very strong evidence, as collated by
Ludovic, that ABX diminishes real differences.

Or makes it obvious that the "golden ears" crowd can't always hear
differences.

Don't assume it, Neil. Try to be nonbiased.

In blind test methodology, each sample is
labeled with a bland symbol, such as A, B, X, Y, etc.

The "X" in ABX doesn't represent a particular sample of a component.
The "X" can be any component in the test.

However, the assumption that each of the subconscious processes in the

brain
can work with sample labels of this type is an assumption. Suppose an
AB
test were performed in which the bland labels were replaced by other

kinds
of labels, ie., pictures of fictitious amplifiers, or Picasso nudes?

Replacing the bland labels (A, B, etc.) with other, more interesting
symbols, might be entertaining, and the "golden ears" crowd might
decide that the entertaining labels might make the gear sound better or
those folks could attribute whatever subjective expectations they
prefer to the test. But I think replacing the ABX labels would be silly
and pointless.

You are assuming that, Neil, and investigation might prove you right.
However, it is bad science to rely on such an assumption.

It's your BS theory... when do you plan to start testing it?

He doesn't actually have the balls to put his theory on the line, becuase he
knows it's bull ****. He doesn't really beleive it himself, he just claims
it to irritate people because they find him such a fool.

YMMV

wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
Robert Morein wrote:
wrote in message

[snip]

I tend to agree with you that people tend to imagine differences, and
that
ABX diminshes that.

Yep.

But I also see very strong evidence, as collated by
Ludovic, that ABX diminishes real differences.

Or makes it obvious that the "golden ears" crowd can't always hear
differences.

(snip)

[...]

This means that
ABX subjects such individuals to a test that relies on the ability to
discriminate an abstract symbol, an ability that may not be fully
developed
in the individual!

An ABX test isn't about discriminating between symbols. The subject
being tested doesn't even have to know the symbols.

The consequence of the inability of some of the subconscious processes
participate in discrimination of abstractly labeled samples is that the
full
mental capacity of the individual is not brought to bear on the
problem. It
disables part of the mind as a function of the test.

See my previous comment.

There should be a form of blind testing that works; one which is not
subject
to the obvious failures described by Ludovic; one which preserves the
sensitivity experienced by sighted observers,

The point of blind, objective testing in audio is to eliminate the
expectations, assumptions, and "sensitivity" experienced by sighted
observers, so that the person doing the listen can pay attention only
to the sound,

while responding to the valid
concern for imagined differences and imagined discrimination.

The idea with blind, objective testing is to eliminate "imagined
differences and imagined discrimination" so that the listener pays
attention only to what that person hears.

A good summary of the hypothetical advantages of ABX .
Two questions: 1) Do you really believe that by covering theeyes uou
"eliminate imagined differences and imasgined discrimination'?
All of them including the effects of exposure to different kinds of
differently conveyed, sex, age, education, high- or lowbrowism etc.
etc.?
2) Medical research is based on "The proof of the pudding is in the
eating" In forty years of its existence not one positive ("Yes, most of
us in this group heard the difference!) ABX component comparison by a
decent-sized panel passed an editorial pencil, however indulgent,
anywhere.

So what? the fact is still that it is used nearly universally in audio
design.

Could there be something wrong with the protocol.

Perhaps, but it is not even close to what is wrong with sighted comparisons.

Or is the
protocol right but all the components sound the same?

Why is that so hard to beleive, especially when nearly everybody develops
their gear with some sort of blind listening evaluation.

Do you think the BBC got bad results when that had people come and evaluate
speakers for them using ABX? That's the reason they chose Dynaudio speakers
exclusively after realizing how bad their own designs were.

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...
From RAHE:

wrote in message
We see all manner of rhetorical and "what if" objections to
controlled
listening alone testing. What is the alternative?

We sum up by concluding that ABX is a paradigm that, while
theoretically
interesting, has not been implemented in a useful way in the real
world.
We
note that the believers in ABX seem to own substandard amplifiers, and
possess low quality ears and brains.

Disregard the ABXers. Listen with your brain, and let your heart
decide.

That certainly is one way to approach the issue, but it tends to be
expensive. Your heart always seems to prefer the high priced spread.

Norm

Norm, I'm always in two minds when contradicting you because
I believe you mean well and listen to others.
But....I think that like many others in this society you
believe that everyone is *equally* a victim of hype.

Speaking for myself, I don't thiink everyone is equally susceptible to hype,
but when you have a tool to fight hype, use it. ABX kills the hype dead.
The fact is also, that there are plenty of people who do beleive the hype
and there is a concerted effort to keep them stupid.

My watch cost me all of $15. Its been keeping time
perfectly for the last five years and that's all I want from a watch.

Flat, undistorted sound is all I want from my electronics, and hopefully, it
will someday be as easy to do that with speakers as it is for electonics.

My car is the small Mazda which gets me satisfactorily from here to
there. Most of my system consists of 59 year old upgraded electrostats.
My preamps and amps were made for me by a guru friend who charged me
the price of (top grade) parts.
I auditioned things like Jadis and M. Levinson and did
not care for them at all. Apogee Diva sounded to me murky. Watt Puppy
like a movie house aggressive speaker that I could not live with at
home. I preferred by far ML CSL to their (once) top of the line hybrid
Monument.
Want more?
There is nothing wrong with not knowing what you're
listening to. It removes one source of bias: the urge to keep up with
the Joneses that (I'm saying it with all due respect) is more common in
North America than practically anywhere else. It does not change all
other biases that we all are made out of. I seek a system as close to
what I hear at the chamber music or symphonic concert as poss. (It will
never be quite
the same). That is my bias. I don't have to tell you that most have a
bias in favour of electronically amplified sound and will prefer a
system different from mine. Which is fine with me.
I find that ABX procedure kills my brain reception
centres in no time. Others feel differently. I do not seek to convince
them away from what they like.

No you just want them to beleive that a valuable, universally recognized,
relaible tool for finding real difference is a fraud.

All I'm asking is that they stop saying that whoever
doesn't use their preferred gimmick does not know what's good for him
and is not "scientific".

Is it your view that believing and untruth that is foisted upon people for
the purpose of making them pay higher prices is a good thing?

If you wish to know the truth, you use the most relaible method you can for
getting the facts. ABX is one of those methods. Using ABX can and has
revealed differences when they were present at levels different enough to
hear.

In particular I object when they tell me that
their "yes, no" method has anything in common with medical therapeutic
research. I know something about that last and objective findings at
the end, not what the subject ticks off on a piece of paper, are a
prerequisite, Even in psychiatry the return to society and normal
functioning is sought not the placebo answer: "Yes doc , this pill sure
makes me feel better"
If ABX makes anyone feel better good luck to him- as
long as he does not bully me with it.

Nobody is bullying you,, you don't have to use ABX or any othere blind
protocol to buy stereo equipment, there really isn't that much need.

When someone claims a difference where there shouldn't be one, those who
really want to know, will use a blind comparison and live with the results.
It is very notable that so many who claim to hear things that shouldn't be
there, are so unwilling to partake in blind comparisons.

Accept the fact that we know enough about what people hear, and how. That we
can meausre things the ear can't even hear, and that it's possible to tell
in advance of lsitening if 2 devices are going to sound different or not.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

So tell me Luddite, where are the serious audio researchers not using

ABX
or
some other blind listening protocol?

You're a bore aren't you? I don't care what the researchers do unless
they are researching my interest in audio like sean Olive does WITHOUT
ABX. I don't know how many use or don't use Abx, prefer ABChr or do
something else.

Have you contacted Mr. Olive for his views on ABX? I assume they still

use
it at Harman, so obviously they have more confidence in it than you do.

The point is still that when you search for ABX, you find that it's
discussed in the sense that it is one of only a couple ways of doing
relaible comparisons, you certainly won't find any research people
relying
on sighted tests.

Those who do do it for their purpose: studying codecs, phase reversals
, thresholds whatever.
This is an audio forum and the question is: "Is ABX a useful tool to
differentiate AUDIO COMPONENTS?"

The answer is still yes, even though this is not the original question
you
began with.

Any idiot can dial "AbX" into Google and get a thousand links. Why do
you restrict yourself to just five irrelevant ones?
Ludovic Mirabel

Ask and you shall recieve:

In this list, Mikey includes citations such as:
"In the first study, we compared adult speakers of English and Hindi on
their ability to discriminate pairings from a synthetic voiced,
unaspirated
place-of-articulation continuum."

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

I knew it would be lost on you.

Thanks for being so predictable.

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

wrote in message

[snip]

Most blind tests seem to work that way. Dramatic differences sighted
become
minor differences blind; slight differences sighted become no
differences
blind. It appears that knowledge of the setup has a strong effect on
preference. That's the way it seems to me, but I wouldn't dream of
trying
to draw any further conclusions from this data.

Norm Strong

I tend to agree with you that people tend to imagine differences, and
that
ABX diminshes that. But I also see very strong evidence, as collated by
Ludovic, that ABX diminishes real differences.

The evidence that ABX diminishes sensitivity is very strong, but it is
difficult to understand why. A possible cause of this effect is as
follows:

It is now understood that human "consciousness" as the supposed focal
point
of experience, is actually a fiction. The real mind is the unconscious
one.
The unconscious mind is composed of many subconscious processes running
in
parallel. In order for each of these processes to participate in the
discrimination of ABX, or any other test modality, it has to be aware of
which sample it is experiencing. In blind test methodology, each sample
is
labeled with a bland symbol, such as A, B, X, Y, etc.

However, the assumption that each of the subconscious processes in the
brain
can work with sample labels of this type is an assumption. Suppose an AB
test were performed in which the bland labels were replaced by other
kinds
of labels, ie., pictures of fictitious amplifiers, or Picasso nudes? Can
we
assume that the ability of the subject to discriminate would be the
same? I
do not believe this can simply be assumed. The ability of the brain to
work
with abstract symbols, as opposed to symbols evocative of experience, is
an
extremely recent innovation in the development of the human brain.
According
to Piaget, this does not occur until approximately the age of twelve,
which
he refers to as "the age of formal operations." Further according to
Piaget,
many members of the adult population never reach this level. This means
that
ABX subjects such individuals to a test that relies on the ability to
discriminate an abstract symbol, an ability that may not be fully
developed
in the individual!

The consequence of the inability of some of the subconscious processes
participate in discrimination of abstractly labeled samples is that the
full
mental capacity of the individual is not brought to bear on the problem.
It
disables part of the mind as a function of the test.

There should be a form of blind testing that works; one which is not
subject
to the obvious failures described by Ludovic; one which preserves the
sensitivity experienced by sighted observers, while responding to the
valid
concern for imagined differences and imagined discrimination.

You keep forgetting the sensitivity observed by sighted observers is not
sensitivity at all, it's expectation.

Maybe, if that's what you expect.
Other people expect sameness, and nothing eliminates that expectation.

An opinion you get to have.

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...
From RAHE:

wrote in message
[...]

I've run several blind tests in my day, but I will admit that I don't do
it often, and certainly not if it takes enormous effort or has limited
usefulness. I had an opportunity to run a blind test on the concept of
biwiring, having available almost all the equipment to run a reliable
test. I already had substantial lengths of AWG12 and 24 wire; I only
needed to buy AWG18, and my wife had a use for it after the test (if it
was white.) Also available was a pair of Vandersteen speakers, an ideal
choice since Mr. Vandersteen himself strongly recommends biwiring his
speakers. The result of the test was that no difference could be heard
between mono and biwiring until the wire gauge reached 24. Then there
was a slight difference--in favor of mono wiring.

My recollection is that he even more strongly supports bi-amping, and
doing that
with two identical stereo amps, each amp handling the total left or right
side, one side of each
amp upper freq and one side of each amp lower freq for that channel.

BTW, I have Vandersteen 4's, I usually bi-amp them in a more
normal fashion, one stereo amp left and right tweeters left and right
other amp woofers left and right, ppostie Vandersteens recommendation.
When I use single stereo amps, like I am right now, I don't bi-wire them,
for
other practical reasons.

There appears to be little reason to do so.

Robert Morein

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

So tell me Luddite, where are the serious audio researchers not using

ABX
or
some other blind listening protocol?

You're a bore aren't you? I don't care what the researchers do unless
they are researching my interest in audio like sean Olive does WITHOUT
ABX. I don't know how many use or don't use Abx, prefer ABChr or do
something else.

Have you contacted Mr. Olive for his views on ABX? I assume they still

use
it at Harman, so obviously they have more confidence in it than you do.

Sean Olive, like competent scientists everywhere, endorses ABX tests for
audible difference.

Obviously, ABX has certain applications. As Ludovic has documented, it
minimizes and overlooks differences perceived by many, but not all,
individuals. These differences are important to many audiophiles. Those of
us who do care will not allow you to **** on our backs and call it rain.
That said, ABX does have uses in research and industrial testing. Harmon
International is an international conglomerate that produces a wide array of
undistinguished, cost effective designs. The differences mentioned in this
thread, between speakers, are of the types that could be distinguished by
sighted testing. However, since Harmon markets products in the low to mid-fi
category, they have a need for efficiently presenting their products to
listeners of average ability, and swiftly obtaining results. Harmon is not
in the business of making products that present music with grace and beauty;
they are in the business of commodity electronics.

Mr. Sullivan, you and Mr. McKelviphibian live in a grayed out, colorblind
audio world. When I listen to Paganini with some amplifiers of good repute,
I hear the rosin on the bow; I hear all the exquisite scraping of a real
violin, I have the frisson of the friction of the real instrument. With
other amplifiers of good repute, I don't. I believe Ludovic and I would
agree that the listening experience is different for us than for you. Or
have you had similar experiences?

To some people, music is a matter of fundamentals. To others, it is a
rapturous chorus of harmonics, perceived with some degree of independence.
If you do not hear music in this way, what I'm saying makes no sense. To
point out that ABX is used by Harmon International to rapidly profile their
products cannot be accepted as an endorsement by us. At the present time, I
am unaware of any Harmon products that I would enjoy listening to. I have
always despised their amplifiers. But, hey, perhaps they sound fine to you.

ABX is used as an industrial tool, as a market sampling tool, and as a
research tool for subjects like, as cited by the mckelviphibian, "In the
first study, we compared adult speakers of English and Hindi ontheir ability
to discriminate pairings from a synthetic voiced, unaspirated
place-of-articulation continuum."

We have no argument with that. Just don't **** on our backs and call it
rain. If you can't hear, you can't hear. That's your problem -- not ours.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

My hearing is pretty normal for may age.

Even if you had perfect hearing from 0-30,000Hz, it wouldn't change the fact
that you can not rely on sighted listening for subtle difference.

That's your problem -- not ours.

The problem is some folks hear things that aren't really there.

paul packer

On 2 Oct 2005 23:37:32 -0700, wrote:

Ludovic Mirabel

I love your name.

paul packer

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 03:47:46 -0400, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

Mr. Sullivan, you and Mr. McKelviphibian live in a grayed out, colorblind
audio world. When I listen to Paganini with some amplifiers of good repute,
I hear the rosin on the bow; I hear all the exquisite scraping of a real
violin, I have the frisson of the friction of the real instrument. With
other amplifiers of good repute, I don't. I believe Ludovic and I would
agree that the listening experience is different for us than for you. Or
have you had similar experiences?

To some people, music is a matter of fundamentals. To others, it is a
rapturous chorus of harmonics, perceived with some degree of independence.
If you do not hear music in this way, what I'm saying makes no sense.

Pretty much says it all. This post should be "stickied" on this NG to
point to whenever someone lauds ABX or uses the word "audiophools".
If read carefully and properly assimilated, it would skittle all
objections--but of course it won't. Why is that?
Clyde Slick

nk.net...

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...
From RAHE:

wrote in message
[...]

Bull****. This is an opinion group. If I want to talk about
differences I hear, I will do it without reference to DBT, and I or
anyone else is certainly justified in doing so. We do not have to
have done any DBT's to talk about any of our preferences
or any differences in regard to what we hear.

What you are doing here, Mr. NETAUDIO NAZI, is ordereing us to
prequalify any discussion about our preferences with haviing undergone
DBT's, which is just outright ridiculous.

If a person picks equipment from a dealer with a decent return policy,
there is no reason that person couldn't do a blind comparison of some sort
ABX or other.

Make your purchases based on whatever reason you choose, but saying
there's no use for ABX or that it is "bad science," or that it masks
detail, or any of the myriad reasons some people have used to try and
paint it as something other than what it is, reliable and the standard for
detecting difference, is somewhat more than disingenuous.

It is bad science, because it only removes the bias towards
one side of the equation.

George M. Middius

paul packer said:

To some people, music is a matter of fundamentals. To others, it is a
rapturous chorus of harmonics, perceived with some degree of independence.
If you do not hear music in this way, what I'm saying makes no sense.

Pretty much says it all. This post should be "stickied" on this NG to
point to whenever someone lauds ABX or uses the word "audiophools".

Robert is right and so are you.

If read carefully and properly assimilated, it would skittle all
objections--but of course it won't. Why is that?

Mainly because to Them, all human beings are interchangeable. For Them,
what one person can't hear, none of us can hear.

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
nk.net...

Do you think the BBC got bad results when that had people come and
evaluate speakers for them using ABX? That's the reason they chose
Dynaudio speakers exclusively after realizing how bad their own designs
were.

lordy!!! If they were that bad, it would have been obvious without ABX!

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

Other people expect sameness, and nothing eliminates that expectation.

An opinion you get to have.

And you will keep having your opinion of sameness, DBT or no DBT.
Your bias has not been removed

Robert Morein

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"ScottW" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

No, Mikey, you don't get it. Those of us who hear acutely, see the colors
you cannot see. When it rains, we put on raincoats. We don't check the U.S.
Weather Bureau to get the official opinion. You **** on our backs and call
it rain. We can tell the difference.

But perhaps you can't, so here's some advice for you: Don't eat yellow snow.

Robert Morein

"George M. Middius" cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast [dot] net wrote
in message ...

paul packer said:

To some people, music is a matter of fundamentals. To others, it is a
rapturous chorus of harmonics, perceived with some degree of

independence.
If you do not hear music in this way, what I'm saying makes no sense.

Pretty much says it all. This post should be "stickied" on this NG to
point to whenever someone lauds ABX or uses the word "audiophools".

Robert is right and so are you.

If read carefully and properly assimilated, it would skittle all
objections--but of course it won't. Why is that?

Mainly because to Them, all human beings are interchangeable. For Them,
what one person can't hear, none of us can hear.

I think that, with the rarest of exceptions, beliefs are an expression of
prejudice, in the literal sense, which means to prejudge without facts.
Prejudice is an expression of the personality. A person's personality is the
sum of how he interacts, not just with other people, but with all the other
things in the Universe.

Every human tries to systematize his sensorium. We impose order on the world
because we desperately want to understand it. But the desire for order is
not the same as the ability to figure out what it is. Until the Renaissance,
successes in understanding were rare. Superstition is fully synthetic order,
used by desperate minds to fill the need. Then came meta-systems; systems
to systematize thought, so as to avoid superstition. The idea was to
eliminate prejudice from the process. But any system can be corrupted. We
read in this forum contemptuous replies, in response to attempts to keep
prejudice away from science. In fact, these replies are usually in the form
of base prejudice.

Science is not a completely mechanical process. It is limited by the quality
of mind that applies it. The universe of hypothesis is only as large as the
mind can accomodate. Lesser minds work within a smaller omega, which may not
contain the correct one. If Mikey were to attempt to understand some of the
new work in modern physics, he would have to dimensionally collapse it,
because Mikey lives in Flatland. The same may be true for Mr. Sullivan.

Much has been made of the apparent fact that the limitations of the human
hearing apparatus are well understood, and that the range of performance is
incapable of explaining the "golden ears" hypothesis. The blunt minds of the
ABXers, living in Flatland, take this as proof that golden ears do not
exist. But that's not what it's about. One man can look at a Dutch Masters
and copy it with exquisite precision. Most people with good vision cannot do
this. It's about the brain, and what the brain remembers.

Robert Morein

" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...
From RAHE:

wrote in message
[...]

You are bullying us, Mikey, by using ABX as a club to invalidate Ludovic's
experiences, as well as those of many others.
You're a ****er.

Robert Morein

nk.net...

wrote in message

[...]

An opinion you get to have, from being deaf and dumb.

Totally.

wrote:

Mr. Sullivan, you and Mr. McKelviphibian live in a grayed out, colorblind
audio world. When I listen to Paganini with some amplifiers of good
repute,
I hear the rosin on the bow; I hear all the exquisite scraping of a real
violin, I have the frisson of the friction of the real instrument. With
other amplifiers of good repute, I don't. I believe Ludovic and I would
agree that the listening experience is different for us than for you. Or
have you had similar experiences?

To some people, music is a matter of fundamentals. To others, it is a
rapturous chorus of harmonics, perceived with some degree of independence.
If you do not hear music in this way, what I'm saying makes no sense.

Pretty much says it all.

It's all bull****. I don't beleive there is anyone posting here that
doesn't look for a setup that doesn't allow for
"rapturous chorus of harmonics, perceived with some degree of independence."

This post should be "stickied" on this NG to
point to whenever someone lauds ABX or uses the word "audiophools".

More nonsense. Morein is just exhibiting his own snobbery.
Amplifiers of good repute are amplifiers that don't have audible distortion
and can drive the speakers connected to them. These have been abailable for
a very long time. The emotional connection he talks about ahs nothing to do
with the equipment, and everything to do with emotion, which changes from
moment to moment. I didin't get into and stay involved with audio for the
puirpose of having nice backround music. I didi it because I enjoy music
that is played with passion and recorded by people who care about wha they
are doing. From Brnadeburg Concertos to Beatles to MJQ, to Big Band Jazz,
it has always been about the music and my passion for it.

Becuase it's more moronic bull**** from a snobby twit who hasn't got a clue.

paul packer said:

To some people, music is a matter of fundamentals. To others, it is a
rapturous chorus of harmonics, perceived with some degree of
independence.
If you do not hear music in this way, what I'm saying makes no sense.

Pretty much says it all. This post should be "stickied" on this NG to
point to whenever someone lauds ABX or uses the word "audiophools".

Robert is right and so are you.

If read carefully and properly assimilated, it would skittle all
objections--but of course it won't. Why is that?

Mainly because to Them, all human beings are interchangeable. For Them,
what one person can't hear, none of us can hear.

Speaking of moronic twits who haven't got a clue.

Is there some reason you feel the need to constantly lie and slander
everybody who knows more about audio than you do?

Robert Morein

news

wrote:

[...]

Mikey, your mind is too small to absorb the wisdom of the Krell.

Robert Morein

nk.net...

paul packer said:

To some people, music is a matter of fundamentals. To others, it is a
rapturous chorus of harmonics, perceived with some degree of
independence.
If you do not hear music in this way, what I'm saying makes no sense.

Pretty much says it all. This post should be "stickied" on this NG to
point to whenever someone lauds ABX or uses the word "audiophools".

Robert is right and so are you.

If read carefully and properly assimilated, it would skittle all
objections--but of course it won't. Why is that?

Mainly because to Them, all human beings are interchangeable. For Them,
what one person can't hear, none of us can hear.

Speaking of moronic twits who haven't got a clue.

Is there some reason you feel the need to constantly lie and slander
everybody who knows more about audio than you do?

Mikey, you presuppose I agree with several attitudes expressed in the above
statement. I do not. Suffice it to say, you are person with a weak mind and
a low IQ. You are a "special" person, Mikey; mentally disadvantaged.

Robert Morein

" wrote in message
news

"paul packer" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 03:47:46 -0400, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

[snip]

If read carefully and properly assimilated, it would skittle all
objections--but of course it won't. Why is that?

Becuase it's more moronic bull**** from a snobby twit who hasn't got a

clue.

Mikey, it would be difficult to consider you as an equal. Your mental
inferiority is very obvious. You have little capacity for independent
expression. Paul is a very good fellow to treat you with compassion.

George Middius

The Bug Eater is feeling neglected.

Mainly because to Them, all human beings are interchangeable. For Them,
what one person can't hear, none of us can hear.

Is there some reason you feel the need to constantly lie and slander
everybody who knows more about audio than you do?

I'll bet I know why you're so whiny. It's because Arnii Krooborg deserted you,
right?

paul packer said:

To some people, music is a matter of fundamentals. To others, it is a
rapturous chorus of harmonics, perceived with some degree of

independence.
If you do not hear music in this way, what I'm saying makes no sense.

Pretty much says it all. This post should be "stickied" on this NG to
point to whenever someone lauds ABX or uses the word "audiophools".

Robert is right and so are you.

If read carefully and properly assimilated, it would skittle all
objections--but of course it won't. Why is that?

Mainly because to Them, all human beings are interchangeable. For Them,
what one person can't hear, none of us can hear.

I think that, with the rarest of exceptions, beliefs are an expression of
prejudice,

At least you are consisitently wrong. Beliefs are the way people think
oabout things based on what they've been taught or learned on their own.
Insofar as thir beleifs are correct, that is they jibe with reality, they
are good beliefs, when they don't it because people haven't done the proper
amount of laerning to check that beliefs are right.

Prejudice is not neccessarily a bad thing, biggotry is.

in the literal sense, which means to prejudge without facts.

Something you seem to be making a career out of here.

Prejudice is an expression of the personality. A person's personality is
the
sum of how he interacts, not just with other people, but with all the
other
things in the Universe.

Every human tries to systematize his sensorium. We impose order on the
world
because we desperately want to understand it.

We don't impose order on the world, we try to get ourselves to not go
against the order of the world. At least the smart ones do.

But the desire for order is
not the same as the ability to figure out what it is. Until the
Renaissance,
successes in understanding were rare. Superstition is fully synthetic
order,
used by desperate minds to fill the need.

It's a lazy way to try and understand the things for which the answers are
or were not easily obtainable.

Then came meta-systems; systems
to systematize thought, so as to avoid superstition.

Thanks to Aristiotle.

The idea was to
eliminate prejudice from the process.

Funny I thought the idea was to understand the truth of what is, so that we
could work within the bounds of reality.

But any system can be corrupted. We
read in this forum contemptuous replies, in response to attempts to keep
prejudice away from science. In fact, these replies are usually in the
form
of base prejudice.

They are usually from you.

Science is not a completely mechanical process. It is limited by the
quality
of mind that applies it. The universe of hypothesis is only as large as
the
mind can accomodate. Lesser minds work within a smaller omega, which may
not
contain the correct one. If Mikey were to attempt to understand some of
the
new work in modern physics, he would have to dimensionally collapse it,
because Mikey lives in Flatland. The same may be true for Mr. Sullivan.

We live in the world of what is real, while you live in a world that
worships your whims.

Much has been made of the apparent fact that the limitations of the human
hearing apparatus are well understood, and that the range of performance
is
incapable of explaining the "golden ears" hypothesis.

That sighted listening is crap and tells yo nothing about what is real about
an audio system. There are no golden ears only trained ones and they can be
fooled by expectations.

The blunt minds of the
ABXers, living in Flatland, take this as proof that golden ears do not
exist.

It's not a predjudice, it's a matter of the fact that they all seem to find
it impossible to hear things they claim to be able to when they can't see
what is playing.

But that's not what it's about. One man can look at a Dutch Masters
and copy it with exquisite precision. Most people with good vision cannot
do
this. It's about the brain, and what the brain remembers.

It doesn't remember music or sound all that well, and if you bothered to
study the subject you'd know this.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"ScottW" wrote in message

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

We **** on you because you are a **** ant and you think you know more than
you do.
Your hearing acuity is mostly a figment of your imagination. We could test
it though, but you don't want your fantasy world to cumble around you, so
you blame the messenger, ABX.

But perhaps you can't, so here's some advice for you: Don't eat yellow
snow.

Not been a problem for me, sorry you had to find out the hard way.

Robert Morein wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Robert Morein wrote:
wrote in message

[snip]

I tend to agree with you that people tend to imagine differences, and

that
ABX diminshes that.

Yep.

But I also see very strong evidence, as collated by
Ludovic, that ABX diminishes real differences.

Or makes it obvious that the "golden ears" crowd can't always hear
differences.

Don't assume it, Neil. Try to be nonbiased.

Having owned a comparator myself, I do have some perspective on that
subject. Anyway, I didn't say the golden-ears crowd could never hear
differences, just that it's not always possible, despite what many in
that crowd seem to believe.

Audio for many of those folks is just a hobby, they can believe
whatever they like, and I'm fine with that.

(snip)

Replacing the bland labels (A, B, etc.) with other, more interesting
symbols, might be entertaining, and the "golden ears" crowd might
decide that the entertaining labels might make the gear sound better or
those folks could attribute whatever subjective expectations they
prefer to the test. But I think replacing the ABX labels would be silly
and pointless.

You are assuming that, Neil, and investigation might prove you right.

I'd certainly be open to representing audio gear with nudes, and not
necessarily the Picasso nudes you suggested. The right nudes might make
everything better, not just the sound of audio gear. Heck, given the
right nudes, I'd be willing to forget the audio gear entirely! ;-)

However, it is bad science to rely on such an assumption.

I just don't see the point of replacing the intentionally bland and
abstract A, B, C, X, etc. labels with labels (such as the Picasso nudes
you mentioned, although I realize that was probably a fanciful example)
with labels that are meaningful in other contexts. Having more
meaningful labels would just confuse things and make it easier for
people to assign irrelevant meanings to the things being labeled.

Robert Morein

"George Middius" wrote in message

The Bug Eater is feeling neglected.

Mainly because to Them, all human beings are interchangeable. For Them,
what one person can't hear, none of us can hear.

Is there some reason you feel the need to constantly lie and slander
everybody who knows more about audio than you do?

I'll bet I know why you're so whiny. It's because Arnii Krooborg deserted

you,
right?

When the going gets tough, the tough get going

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

nk.net...

paul packer said:

[...]

Then why are you so determined to keep talking to me?

Are you that desperate for conversation?

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"George Middius" wrote in message

The Bug Eater is feeling neglected.

Mainly because to Them, all human beings are interchangeable. For
Them,
what one person can't hear, none of us can hear.

Is there some reason you feel the need to constantly lie and slander
everybody who knows more about audio than you do?

I'll bet I know why you're so whiny. It's because Arnii Krooborg deserted

you,
right?

When the going gets tough, the tough get going

Thanks for admitting you're not tough.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

news

wrote:

[...]

Acttually, it's my wallet that's not fat enough to pay for one, especially
since I can get identical sound from much lower priced gear.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
news

"paul packer" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 03:47:46 -0400, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

[snip]

If read carefully and properly assimilated, it would skittle all
objections--but of course it won't. Why is that?

Becuase it's more moronic bull**** from a snobby twit who hasn't got a

clue.

Mikey, it would be difficult to consider you as an equal.

Certainly not, you're an idiot.

Your mental
inferiority is very obvious.

Yet you seem drawn like a moth to a flame.

You have little capacity for independent
expression. Paul is a very good fellow to treat you with compassion.

You are a very bad person to wage a war of slander over the fact that you've
been coaught so many times making so many mistakes. What was your family
motto? Wah?

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

Other people expect sameness, and nothing eliminates that expectation.

An opinion you get to have.

And you will keep having your opinion of sameness, DBT or no DBT.
Your bias has not been removed

It's not a matter of expectation any more, it's simply a matter of
performance. Things that perform similarly enough, sound indistinguishable
from each other.

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

nk.net...

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...
From RAHE:

wrote in message
[...]

I'm sure that if you tell that to all the people doing audio research who
use ABX, they'll stop immediately. Of course that would only be true if
your assumption were correct.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...
From RAHE:

wrote in message
[...]

Ludovic needs to learn the same thing you do, that just because you
perceived something in a sighted comparison, doesn't mean it was real. I
beleive he percieved it but it doesn't matter since there was no bias
control. That's not invalidating his experience, that's just a matter of
fact.

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

news

wrote:

[...]

That's your 'bias' talking.
You haven't done a thing to neutralize it.

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

Other people expect sameness, and nothing eliminates that expectation.

An opinion you get to have.

And you will keep having your opinion of sameness, DBT or no DBT.
Your bias has not been removed

It's not a matter of expectation any more, it's simply a matter of
performance. Things that perform similarly enough, sound
indistinguishable from each other.

You don't know that.
tell us exactly what amp DBT's you particiapted in, the number of trials for
each,
and your results, and tell us how that applies to the Krell vs your favorite
mass market amp.

Clyde Slick

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

nk.net...

" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...
From RAHE:

wrote in message
[...]

They are marketing their **** towards people who can't hear differences
and/or people who are preconceived to believe that there are no differences,
so thay are eternally happy doing tests that confirm and conform to
the biases of their intended audiences.