Steve Dolan

Default Full wave bridge with half wave rectifiers

I am building a high voltage (1000VDC +)full wave bridge using half wave
rectifiers. Do I need separate filament supplies for each rectifier?

Steve

John Byrns

In article , "Steve Dolan"
wrote:

I am building a high voltage (1000VDC +)full wave bridge using half wave
rectifiers. Do I need separate filament supplies for each rectifier?

Typically three filament supplies are needed, one for the two tubes whose
cathodes are connected and provide the positive output leg of the supply,
with two separate filament supplies for each of the two tubes supplying
the negative output leg of the supply.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/
Ronald

It depends on the tubes ......
I would use 4x PY500A for that , I think .....
You'll need just 1 winding , 42V / 1.2A , 84V / 0.6A or 168V / 0.3A .

Ronald .

"Steve Dolan" schreef in bericht

Steve Dolan wrote:
I am building a high voltage (1000VDC +)full wave bridge using half

wave
rectifiers. Do I need separate filament supplies for each rectifier?

Steve

You need three filament supplies minimum, Steve, to make a bridge with
four rectifier tubes, connected one filament supply shared between the
two positive output tubes, one fil supply for each of the tubes from
the junction of whose plates you take the negative line (because if you
connect their heaters via a single filament supply you provide a
connection that subvents the function of the bridge).

However, why are you even considering the cost, weight, wiring, heat,
real estate demands, not to mention general nuisance of a conventional
all-tube bridge? There is an easy way to have all the benefits of a
tube bridge without the downsides I listed. You need two halfwave
rectifier tubes (6D22S is good amd I also like the 5R4WGB, a military
spec, though it is getting expensive) or a single fullwave rectifier
tube as in (two diodes in a single envelope (I like the GZ37, still
available as the military CV678, or its shortass brother the GZ34),
plus two suitable heavy duty silicon rectifiers (BY228, someone on RAT
will give you the American equivalent number). This composite
transistor/tube group is called a Graetz Bridge. The noise of the two
silicon diodes is blocked by the the two tube diodes. Everything is in
the circuit, of course, but the circuit is so arranged that the silicon
diode noise disappears into thin air, in this case literally because
the vacuum inside the tube, unless perfect (too unlikely for words), is
simply very, very thin air.

A worked application is at Jute on Amps
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/JUTE%20ON%20AMPS.htm
and scroll down to
T39-KISS-300B-Ultrafi-crct.jpg

I have built four-tube rectifiers bridges for kilovolt amps and later
replaced them by Graetz bridges as above. I hear no difference. Not do
others with a lot of experience. As you can see on the circuit I
reference as an application, I also use Graetz bridges on 300B and
other amps for the use of golden ears and no one has ever complained.

HTH.

Andre Jute
The master engineer as cost cutter: I saved the planet already today.

(Don't worry about the sig, Steve, it is just a provocation for the
resident mouth-foamers.)

John Stewart

Ronald wrote:

It depends on the tubes ......
I would use 4x PY500A for that , I think .....
You'll need just 1 winding , 42V / 1.2A , 84V / 0.6A or 168V / 0.3A .

Ronald .

"Steve Dolan" schreef in bericht
I am building a high voltage (1000VDC +)full wave bridge using half wave
rectifiers. Do I need separate filament supplies for each rectifier?

Steve

What about the H-K insulation in that hookup? Might be some
failures!! JLS

Patrick Turner

" wrote:

Steve Dolan wrote:
[...]

You are right about 3 fil supplies.
They need good insulation as well.

There is nothing like going the whole hog, and using four 866
mercury vapour rectifiers just to get maximum glowave brights in a lounge.

But I really can't see too much wrong with using an all SS bridge but
with each SS diode consisting of 3 series 1000piv rated diodes, to be sure
to be sure,
12 diodes in total.

To stop noise, use appropriate seris R and some caps,
to prevent large current pulses charging a cap, or a group of series caps.

A choke input filter avoids the current pulses of a capacitor input, but a
large well made
choke is needed.

I only use cap input filters and SS rectifiers and I add series R to limit
charge current pulses.

There is no noise from rectifiers on the output.

There is not even any noise in the SS amps I occasionally build with large
caps in the supplies and no series
current limiting resistances, and no snubber caps across the diodes.

But I do try to screen off the rectifiers inside a box for the PS.

What keeps PS noise low is good layout, screening, earth path rightness,
and adequate rail filtering. I never use oil caps, and am quite happy
using el cheapo plain non fast SS diodes and generic electrolytic caps with
LARGE C values,
and good ripple current and low esr ratings.
I tried "fast recovery rectifiers" and got NO magical improvements that I
could detect.

The electro caps now made for arduous work in SMPS are
usually much better than 1955 caps which gave electros their bad
reputation.
I don't bother with Black Gates and other expensive brands.
The war against electros is almost entirely irrational, imho.

It ain't what ya got that does the trick, its how ya use it!

Patrick Turner.

Geoff C

Patrick Turner wrote in
:

[...]

I have found that with no caps on a diode bridge you will get a great
deal of noise generated from diode switching in the range 50-300KHz. It
is easy to attenuate by a good 20dB with a 100n cap across the ac
connections to the bridge. The noise is mainly reflected back to the
mains side, and I detect this with a spectrum analyser and a LISN. Even
an electrostatic screen and large iron bulk of the mains tranny won't
save you from this noise. However, the noise is broadband and outside the
audio band, so as long as it does not modulate other equipment it will
not be noticaeable. But it is really easy to eliminate with one cap. Have
a lok at a schematic for a Tektronix CRO and you will see such an
instance.
Patrick Turner

Geoff C wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote in
:

[...]

There have been amps I have cobbled up only to find some little
peaks, or groups of HF rings once for every diode switch off/on.
The 0.01 uF caps have rarely if ever been successful in supressing such PS
spikes in an amp output.
The current surges in the diodes excites the stray C and leakage L of the
power tranny,
and presto, you got a resonant circuit at 50kHz to 300kHz.

Often a 0.05uf 1,000 v straight across the HT secondary, and other larger
caps
across windings where rectifiers are used.
Series diodes so that R = about 6 times the reactance of the cap input
also work, so if a 470 uF cap has 3.4 ohms XC at 100 Hz, use
about 27 ohms in series, and the peak charge current into that cap will be
greatly reduced, and usually so will the mechanical noise in the power
transformer.
Dissipation in the HT winding relates to I squared x R,
so if I is reduced 3 times, the dissipation in the HT winding is reduced.
Its in the series R instead, but I'd rather blow a few 5 watt wire wound R
rather than
blow a power tranny.

I spent considerable time building an LCLCL filter to make the mains clean,
but with inductors on the last led to the amps I was testing to
gain my C-cick accreditation number.

The mains thus has 50 ohms Z at over 50 kHz, and at first I have
a lot od switching ring noise
trying to go back into the mains.
A 0.05uF across the HT reduced it by 30 dB and well below
the 2 mV permissible stipulated by the authorities.
Usually linear PS mounted within all metal enclosures are very easy to have
comply with
authorities emission requirements and its easy to keep the signal clean.

SMPS which charge directly off the mains into a resevoir cap and then
take a square wave signal out at 500 kHz are renowned for causing all sorts
of
bothers.
Not in my PC though, where they seem to have the problems all sussed.
Not in Halcro amps either.

One has to do whatever it takes to keep an amp quiet, and usually its a range
of measures,
not just one.

Having input sockets and wiring or feedback wiring within 100mm of any
other wire mains input wiring or wiring near anything connected to a
rectifier
and thus carrying switching currents is likely to result in noise at the
output.
So screen things off, loctate things properly, try different positions, star
earth,
and use shieled wire for FB loops.

Merely placing caps across diodes don't do much.

The noise is mainly reflected back to the
mains side, and I detect this with a spectrum analyser and a LISN. Even
an electrostatic screen and large iron bulk of the mains tranny won't
save you from this noise. However, the noise is broadband and outside the
audio band, so as long as it does not modulate other equipment it will
not be noticaeable. But it is really easy to eliminate with one cap. Have
a lok at a schematic for a Tektronix CRO and you will see such an
instance.

Patrick Turner.

Ronald

Hi John ,

What about the H-K insulation in that hookup? Might be some
failures!! JLS

Might be , but U-hkp = 6300V
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...0/p/PY500A.pdf

Ronald .

If he's using a PT designed for FW operation (i.e., if it has a CT as
mentioned) in a bridge supply, it is not always certain whether the CT
is well-enough insulated from gnd; it often has to be tried to find
out, and sometimes the resultant failure comes later on at a less
convenient time after transients or similar spikes have begun to break
down this often-vulnerable area of the winding. A PT intended for
bridge use can be well worth its cost over using a scrounged
FW-designed unit. YMMV

Contrary to another post, a choke-input arrg't (if even applicable to
the OP's need) may effectively use an inexpensive swinging choke at its
input, so long as it's critical value at minimum current is sufficient
- which is why swingers exist.

John Stewart

Ronald wrote:

Hi John ,

What about the H-K insulation in that hookup? Might be some
failures!! JLS

Might be , but U-hkp = 6300V
http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...0/p/PY500A.pdf

Ronald .

That is REALLY impressive. Obviously, it would work well in the
application referenced as you have pointed out.

For myself, I prefer to stay with silicon & an appropriate parallel
resistor set to force sharing of inverse voltage, as I have now for
about 40 years. Last time I used a tube rectifier I think it was of
the 5V4 family which I liked very much. That was in a guitar amp.

While using a SS rectifier system it is worth noting that the
resulting HV DC is still under the control of tubes on it's way to
the loudspeaker. That I believe simplifies things a lot so that one
can concentrate on the amplifier circuit itself.

My opinion, anyway. John Stewart

Patrick Turner

If he's using a PT designed for FW operation (i.e., if it has a CT as
mentioned) in a bridge supply, it is not always certain whether the CT
is well-enough insulated from gnd; it often has to be tried to find
out, and sometimes the resultant failure comes later on at a less
convenient time after transients or similar spikes have begun to break
down this often-vulnerable area of the winding. A PT intended for
bridge use can be well worth its cost over using a scrounged
FW-designed unit. YMMV

Contrary to another post, a choke-input arrg't (if even applicable to
the OP's need) may effectively use an inexpensive swinging choke at its
input, so long as it's critical value at minimum current is sufficient
- which is why swingers exist.

Say you want 1,000V at 100mA from a choke input filter.

For 50 Hz mains the critical L = RL / 940.

The RL on the PSU = 1,000 / 0.1 = 10,000 ohms,
so the Lc = 10,000 / 940 = 10.6 Henrys, so choose about 12 H to be sure.

Its DCR for a class A circuit need not be low as it should be for a class B
amp
but its DCR wouldn't want to be more than 300 ohms which produce
a dissipation of 3 watts with 100 mA.

It will be an item which would occupy a 100mm x 100mm x 100mm enclosure,
and be much more expensive than a 3H choke used for a CLC supply.
A 12H choke could be about 100 ohms DCR.

The 1,000V choke input supply will need either
a 1,150V-0-1,150V CT winding for FW,
or 1,150V in one winding for a bridge, and maybe slightly more with tube
rectifiers
because of the series R of the tubes.
A bleed current of 10mA is needed to stop the DC voltage soaring to +1,600V

when no load is present.

So in actual fact, 110 mA would be needed unless 100mA includes the bleed
current.

Strange as it may seem, as the load increases, the value of critical
inductance rises.
So if only 50mA was needed, the inductance value must double, but it
needn't
be any larger, it will have more turns of thinner wire.
Such windings can be fragile in the event of a shorted output, and good
fusing is essential.

If the cap voltage rating is 450v, then 3 in series is barely enough,
since a cap could take a surge to 530v briefly if the bleeder R goes open.
The supply should react and shut down if this occurs.

The value of C could be as high as one wishes since the charge currents
depend
on the value of the L, not C, so 3 x 470 uF caps in seriers will give C =
156uF,
and if L is 12H, the attenuation factor of the LC at 100Hz = XC/XL = 10.2
/ 7,536 = 0.00135,
so expect about 0.5 vrms of 100Hz ripple.
If the hum F = 120Hz, it will be lower for the same LC components, and Lc
needn't be quite so large.

Using a CLC with 156uF, 3H, and 156uF,
the ripple at 100 mA at C1 = 1.4vrms, and the attenuation factor
of the following LC = XC / XL = 10.2 / 1,884 = 0.0054,
so the ripple is reduced to 0.0076 vrms, a heck of a lot less than with a
choke input
filter.
In fact 1H or 2H is enough L with C = 156uF, but we would also want the
resonant F of the LC to be under 10Hz, and Fo = 5,035 / square root of ( C
in uF x L in millihenrys )
= 5,035 / sq.rt ( 156 x 3,000 ) = 7.35 Hz which is achieved with 3H.
1H would raise Fo to 12.7Hz, and this is too high.

The choke input filter also displays resonant behaviour, ie,
it gives slight supply fluctuations at Fo of the LC due to transients in
music, but with
12H and 156uF, Fo = 3.6Hz, and low enough.

One should make sure the rails for the driver stages are filtered with RC
filters with long time constants to prevent any resonant F behaviour
in an output stage supply from causing LF motor boating, ie,
the amplifier becomes a phase shift oscillator.

Patrick Turner.

Chris Hornbeck

On 24 May 2005 15:46:44 -0700, wrote:

If he's using a PT designed for FW operation (i.e., if it has a CT as
mentioned) in a bridge supply, it is not always certain whether the CT
is well-enough insulated from gnd; it often has to be tried to find
out, and sometimes the resultant failure comes later on at a less
convenient time after transients or similar spikes have begun to break
down this often-vulnerable area of the winding. A PT intended for
bridge use can be well worth its cost over using a scrounged
FW-designed unit. YMMV

If I'm following you correctly, you're concerned about the (output
voltage divided by two) that appears as a DC component of the
entire secondary HV winding.

Yes, indeed; a very significant issue.

We Mil-surplus scroungers might not worry (for our own personal
use, and taking all *and more* appropriate precautions) but the
old Ham adaptations of consumer grade power trans's to FWB use
are definitely a stretch, in lotsa ways.

Everything that homebrewers do MUST be filtered through the
criteria of questions like "Would my own grandchild be safe around
it?" This helps to remove ambiguities.

Still, for folks using split-secondary HV transformers and oxide
cathode rectifiers-not-internally-bolted-to-the-heater/filament,
an attractive option is to reference the heater/filament winding
of the "bottom" rectifiers to the secondary's center tap.

A minor matter, but then everything is. Good fortune,

Chris Hornbeck
"As always, your mileage may vary, caveat emptor, save your receipt."
-John Hardy