jeffc

Default Audiophile grade car stereo and XM radio

Hey, I had a nice stereo in my car years ago. As it turns out, the car was in
an accident and the car was old enough they called it a total loss, so I had to
buy a new car. But the stereo was stolen while it was stored at the body shop
lot. Due to the fact that the new car factory stereo is better than average,
and I didn't have much money, I had little motivation to do another full
replacement. I'm now getting ready to upgrade again.

I had salvaged my ads amp, MB Quart front speakers and Infinity subs from my old
car, and I plan on reusing them. But I'll need a new head unit with CD player,
plus remote CD changer. I'm a little confused about the components needed. I
understand that if I buy all one brand, I'm OK. For example, Sony head unit
with Sony XM tuner, plus an antenna, I should be set. But what about tuners
that can be used with any head unit? I saw one in a Crutchfield catalog, but it
had some vague comments about needing adapters. Is the sound quality of all XM
tuners basically the same? I do not expect XM radio quality to be as good as CD
quality (from what I've read), but I want the best sound if there is a
difference among tuners. How about antennas?

Are there some good online stores or guides for audiophile car stereo you would
recommend for general shopping? Is there any particular model of head unit that
some of you audiophiles might recommend?