Jeff

Default small sub box

I'm making a custom sealed sub box for a 10" that requires .6 to 1
cubic foot. The problem is, for the location I want to put it in I
think I can only get .5 and that doesnt include speaker displacement.
I plan on stuffing with polyfill but what would the drawback be in
using a smaller box? Sound-wise and power handling.
Thanks
EFFENDI

Jeff wrote:
I'm making a custom sealed sub box for a 10" that requires .6 to 1
cubic foot. The problem is, for the location I want to put it in I
think I can only get .5 and that doesnt include speaker displacement.
I plan on stuffing with polyfill but what would the drawback be in
using a smaller box? Sound-wise and power handling.
Thanks

It would increase the power requirements, and it would have a punchier
sound (less boomy). Polyfill can only do so much, and the benefits are
negligible. Small sealed is the best design IMHO, you generally get the
best sounding bass overall (better linear response, less boominess,
"tighter" sounding) from a small sealed enclosure. Just make sure you
are within the reccomended enclosure limits of the subwoofer itself.

EFFENDI
Jeff

EFFENDI wrote in message . ..
Jeff wrote:
I'm making a custom sealed sub box for a 10" that requires .6 to 1
cubic foot. The problem is, for the location I want to put it in I
think I can only get .5 and that doesnt include speaker displacement.
I plan on stuffing with polyfill but what would the drawback be in
using a smaller box? Sound-wise and power handling.
Thanks

It would increase the power requirements, and it would have a punchier
sound (less boomy). Polyfill can only do so much, and the benefits are
negligible. Small sealed is the best design IMHO, you generally get the
best sounding bass overall (better linear response, less boominess,
"tighter" sounding) from a small sealed enclosure. Just make sure you
are within the reccomended enclosure limits of the subwoofer itself.

EFFENDI

Thanks, but that is the problem; the box would be smaller than
recommended. Maybe I'll just have to give it a shot and stay within
the power limits.
Jason

what's the displacement on the sub? is there absolutely NO WAY to make the
box a tad bit bigger? If not, can you use fiberglass instead of standard
3/4" MDF cut down on enclosure wall size? You don't need to make the box
much bigger at all. If you were 1/10 less then recommended WITH
displacement, you'd be fine....just need to turn up the gain a bit.

"Jeff" wrote in message
om...
EFFENDI wrote in message
. ..
Jeff wrote:
[...]

Jeff

I'm making the box for a friends car. I was already planning on using
..5" MDF for the flat sections and f/glass on the contours. My
calculations are conservative estimates but it will be less than
recommended. I will construct it this weekend and let you know. It's
for a '95 Civic and it will at least look cool if it doesnt sound
right!

Kevin McMurtrie wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Jeff) wrote:

I'm making a custom sealed sub box for a 10" that requires .6 to 1
cubic foot. The problem is, for the location I want to put it in I
think I can only get .5 and that doesnt include speaker displacement.
I plan on stuffing with polyfill but what would the drawback be in
using a smaller box? Sound-wise and power handling.
Thanks

You'll loose a lot of low frequency efficiency and it may resonate at an
annoying tone. Polyfill can stop most of the resonation but it can't do
enough about the bass loss.

Try making a contoured fiberglass enclosure.

jeffc

"Jeff" wrote in message
om...
I'm making a custom sealed sub box for a 10" that requires .6 to 1
cubic foot.

I think you might be better off with 2 smaller subs. Can you recalculate based
on smaller drivers? It might work out better (not sure). You can often get
better sound anyway with 2 smaller drivers than one large one.